PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to John McCain

DenButsu
08-27-2009, 12:47 AM
He's really sticking up for Obama to a crowd that wants none of it, and really trying to keep his argument based on policy differences and not personal politics. I just wanted to post this and give him his props where they are due since I tend to be one of those who *****es the loudest when the opposite happens:

http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm/0809/mccain_defends_potus_7e36cbcb-f853-49ef-9bb7-4251448942e1.html

:clap:

DodgersFan28
08-27-2009, 07:54 AM
And that same audience who booed started to applaud McCain after saying that for advocating respect, even though the clip was quickly halted before the applause could really be heard.

Was something wrong about the applause that it didn't need to be included in the clip? Their applause says something about them that I believe should also be included in the discussion here along with the boos.

DenButsu
08-27-2009, 10:17 AM
And that same audience who booed started to applaud McCain after saying that for advocating respect, even though the clip was quickly halted before the applause could really be heard.

Was something wrong about the applause that it didn't need to be included in the clip? Their applause says something about them that I believe should also be included in the discussion here along with the boos.

That's true. I just wish that element of GOPers (to the extent they still exist, for their numbers are dwindling) would be more vocal and fight the good fight instead of allowing the booers and shouters to totally dominate the discourse.

Patsfan56
08-27-2009, 10:43 AM
That's true. I just wish that element of GOPers (to the extent they still exist, for their numbers are dwindling) would be more vocal and fight the good fight instead of allowing the booers and shouters to totally dominate the discourse.

That sentiment is shared by the majority of people from both parties. We need to debate issues, but unfortunately, the mouthpieces we see "representing" our opinions tends to be jackasses like Hannity, Limbaugh, Olbermann, Moore, and Mahr, who invoke more emotion than actual thought. And then we see all the idiots shouting and carrying on. I wish those of us on both sides would tell these idiots to shut up so the grown ups can talk and figure these things out. Maybe someday...

Good on McCain. My wife actually met him once, back in 2002 or so. She does not typically follow his brand of politics, but she remembers him as being very genuine, and a nice man.

IBleedPurple
08-27-2009, 07:47 PM
While I'm not a big fan of some of his policies, fact is, McCain is a pretty stand up guy. He has respect & high moral standards, and should be a good example of how most in his party should conduct themselves.

LAKERMANIA
08-28-2009, 12:22 AM
If only more people were like John McCain, both conservatives and liberals should learn from the amount of respect he has for the opposition even though he disagrees with them

gcoll
08-28-2009, 01:43 AM
With the election over, liberals can go back to liking John Mccain instead of painting him as a crazy racist.

db75
08-28-2009, 02:17 AM
With the election over, liberals can go back to liking John Mccain instead of painting him as a crazy racist.

Find a non-extremist liberal who shared that opinion. I lean liberal, and I have/had immense respect for McCain and can agree with a lot that he says. I didn't vote for him, but I truly think that he'd have done a similar job in the White House that Obama has done (although I think for the long run, Obama is the better choice, and as a young American, he was obviously my choice because of that).

DenButsu
08-28-2009, 07:05 AM

With the election over, he can go back to listening to himself instead of his nutty advisers.

behindmydesk
08-28-2009, 09:04 AM

With the election over, he can also go back to being a middle of the road, wannabe liberal as well.

ari1013
08-28-2009, 09:28 AM
With the election over, he can also go back to being a middle of the road, wannabe liberal as well.
ooh I got one:

With the election over his wife can go back to profiteering at the expense of A-B workers in St. Louis :mad:

SmthBluCitrus
08-28-2009, 09:38 AM
ooh I got one:

With the election over his wife can go back to profiteering at the expense of A-B workers in St. Louis :mad:

My turn:

With the election over, he can go back to being his 'Mavricky' self.

behindmydesk
08-28-2009, 09:40 AM
See it's ok for everyone to dislike John McCain. God I dislike that man.

SmthBluCitrus
08-28-2009, 09:45 AM
I remember when he lobbied John Kerry to be his Veep candidate (regardless of what McCain said on the campaign trail last year).

behindmydesk
08-28-2009, 09:46 AM
I remember his gang of 14, thinking that the republican party would love him for that.

SmthBluCitrus
08-28-2009, 10:01 AM
I remember when John McCain had to carry his own baggage in New Hampshire because his campaign was so beset by fiscal irresponsibility that he couldn't afford any paid staffers to accompany him.

behindmydesk
08-28-2009, 10:07 AM
I remember everyone laughing at Rush saying if McCain wins the nomination, the media will turn on him, and he'll be a useless candidate. He also played a song about the Mavrick John Mcain, playing everywhere till the first tuesday in November.

SmthBluCitrus
08-28-2009, 10:08 AM
I remember when John McCain made a really bad joke about Chelsea Clinton and how Janet Reno was her father.

behindmydesk
08-28-2009, 10:22 AM
I remember when Palin became the candidate and for once he actually got the republican party behind him.

SmthBluCitrus
08-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I remember when Palin became the candidate and the moderates abandoned him in droves.

behindmydesk
08-28-2009, 10:37 AM
I remember people thinking moderates would actually vote for McCain in November!

behindmydesk
08-28-2009, 10:43 AM
I remember when John McCain was a champion to the working person while not knowing how many houses he owned.

SmthBluCitrus
08-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I remember when John McCain actually bragged about how similar his voting record was to Bush's ... and then spend the next 7 months trying to distance himself from that record.

behindmydesk
08-28-2009, 10:49 AM
I remember when John McCain actually bragged about how similar his voting record was to Bush's ... and then spend the next 7 months trying to distance himself from that record.

Not so much I remember, but that's a great point on why he was such a ****** candidate for the GOP. I am a republican guys no matter what i've done, look i've voted with Bush. Then Look everyone i'm a moderate i'm not a republican.

This guy should be nicknamed FlipFlopper II.

SmthBluCitrus
08-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Not so much I remember, but that's a great point on why he was such a ****** candidate for the GOP. I am a republican guys no matter what i've done, look i've voted with Bush. Then Look everyone i'm a moderate i'm not a republican.

This guy should be nicknamed FlipFlopper II.

No, that one is reserved for his Mittness (healthcare, abortion ... social issues in general, I guess).

John McCain can just go by John McCain ... it evokes the same feeling.

b1e9a8r5s
08-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I remember when John McCain made a really bad joke about Chelsea Clinton and how Janet Reno was her father.

I hope you mean bad in the sense that it was stupid to say where anyone could hear or it would get out, but come on, that was a good one!

cabernetluver
08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I hope you mean bad in the sense that it was stupid to say where anyone could hear or it would get out, but come on, that was a good one!

You are correct that it was stupid to it where it could get out, but, I assure you, that most parents would think it was not a good one, and in fact, most parents would think it was a bad one. You think I am wrong? Look at the reaction that David Letterman got on a joke about Sarah Palin's daughter. It was not just a bad reaction from the right, but also from the left. Oh, but I guess you would say that was stupid to say out loud, but it was a good one. My bad.

SmthBluCitrus
08-28-2009, 11:48 AM

I actually take quite a bit of offense to what he said. It was both stupid to say and a joke in really poor taste.

b1e9a8r5s
08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
I actually take quite a bit of offense to what he said. It was both stupid to say and a joke in really poor taste.

I think America would be a lot better off if everyone on both sides would lighten up a little and take a joke. And of course it was in poor taste, but a lot of jokes in poor taste are funny IMO.

SmthBluCitrus
08-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I think America would be a lot better off if everyone on both sides would lighten up a little and take a joke. And of course it was in poor taste, but a lot of jokes in poor taste are funny IMO.

To make a joke at the expense of a young teen is completely absurd. In that case it's not about lightening up, it's about being an adult and making the rational choice to keep your fool mouth shut.

cabernetluver
08-28-2009, 12:08 PM

So, you felt that Letterman's joke about Palin's daughter was in poor taste, but funny, and we all should have lightened up?

b1e9a8r5s
08-28-2009, 12:12 PM
So, you felt that Letterman's joke about Palin's daughter was in poor taste, but funny, and we all should have lightened up?

I had no issue with it at all. I've laughed at many a Palin jokes as well as Bush jokes. I've got a good one that's in very poor taste but I don't want to get reprimanded.

SmthBluCitrus
08-28-2009, 12:17 PM
I had no issue with it at all. I've laughed at many a Palin jokes as well as Bush jokes. I've got a good one that's in very poor taste but I don't want to get reprimanded.

Palin and Bush are both adults -- and even though jokes against them are in poor taste, they're still adults. Same goes with Hillary, Bill, Obama ... a joke is a joke.

But, Chelsea was still a minor when he made that joke. And, the fashion in which he made it was cruel. I don't condone that -- in the same fashion that I don't condone what Letterman said about Sarah Palin's daughter. It's wrong.

cabernetluver
08-28-2009, 12:35 PM

As SBC said, it was not about the jokes about Palin, or Bush, or Biden, or Obama, but it was the jokes about their minor children. SBC and I are both parents, and I am guessing you are not, because, I don't think you understand that point of view.

I give you credit for being consistent, but, when it comes to jokes about the minors who are related to the candidates, no way is it funny to me. As a parent, I will never find those funny.

b1e9a8r5s
08-28-2009, 12:43 PM
As SBC said, it was not about the jokes about Palin, or Bush, or Biden, or Obama, but it was the jokes about their minor children. SBC and I are both parents, and I am guessing you are not, because, I don't think you understand that point of view.

I give you credit for being consistent, but, when it comes to jokes about the minors who are related to the candidates, no way is it funny to me. As a parent, I will never find those funny.

You're right, I'm not a parent. I understand what you’re saying about minors and I guess I do agree with you. My real problem is the "outrage" from both sides in circumstances like this. Both were jokes in bad taste, ok, maybe they apologize and move on. It just seems to me that people on both sides are just looking for opportunities to pounce on something to be outraged about and say see the other side is mean or heartless or what have you. The outrage always is disproportionate to the offense itself IMO.

SmthBluCitrus
08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I wasn't jumping on anything to be "outraged" about. bmd and I were having some ping pong fun at John McCain's expense and trying to out-do each other with "I remembers." That's all.

behindmydesk
08-28-2009, 12:50 PM
You're right, I'm not a parent. I understand what you’re saying about minors and I guess I do agree with you. My real problem is the "outrage" from both sides in circumstances like this. Both were jokes in bad taste, ok, maybe they apologize and move on. It just seems to me that people on both sides are just looking for opportunities to pounce on something to be outraged about and say see the other side is mean or heartless or what have you. The outrage always is disproportionate to the offense itself IMO.

I think you can broaden that to society though. I mean it's just PC is all. It's got it's good and bad. In my opinion it sucks that you can't say certain jokes. But it's also great that you can't say certain remarks such as you could in the 1800's threw what 1960's.

b1e9a8r5s
08-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I wasn't jumping on anything to be "outraged" about. bmd and I were having some ping pong fun at John McCain's expense and trying to out-do each other with "I remembers." That's all.

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you at all. I was talking in general terms about both sides.