PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies make offer to Iverson

DenButsu
08-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Grizzlies make offer to Iverson
By Chris Sheridan

Allen Iverson twittered again Wednesday, saying the Grizzlies have made him an offer -- and Memphis says it's true.

Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace told ESPN.com Wednesday night that negotiations between the sides have heated up to the point where the Grizzlies have made their first formal offer.

"We're heading into the home stretch before the season, and we have had interest in Allen all summer," Wallace said. "We've been in touch on a fairly consistent basis and had dialogue with his agent, Leon Rose, since the beginning of free agency."

Iverson is one of the most high profile, unrestricted free agents remaining on the market, and there were reports in recent days that he was leaning hardest toward reuniting with his old coach, Larry Brown, with the Charlotte Bobcats.

But the Bobcats are for sale and are under severe financial constraints, and Iverson's other strongest suitor -- the Miami Heat -- is already more than $3 million into luxury tax territory and has not been willing thus far to make Iverson a substantial financial offer.

Memphis is approximately $3.5 million under the salary cap for the 2009-10 season and thus could easily outbid Charlotte and Miami for the services of the 10-time All-Star, whom Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley sees as a strong gate attraction.

Wallace would not disclose the size of the offer or what kind of a time table he is on.

"We'll probably add another guard at some point, but we don't need to rush to do it," Wallace said.

Iverson played in only 57 games between Denver and Detroit last season due to injury and averaged a career-low 17.5 points per game.espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4425122)

clutchski
08-27-2009, 12:21 AM
please iverson go back to the western conference

ko8e24
08-27-2009, 12:24 AM
that'd be great. it means AI, OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay triple-threat with the Grizz, and it also means Kobe and Iverson actually playing together in the all-star game as teammates for the West.

P.S.: 2008 all-star game doesn't count, though they were teammates kobe (lakers) & AI (nuggets), kobe only played the 1st minute of the game because of that injured finger of his.

DenButsu
08-27-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm skeptical of whether AI could muster up the fan votes at this point to beat CP3. I'm guessing he and Kobe would get the starts. Then it would be up to Allen whether he could perform on the level that the coaches would put him in. But going against the likes of TP, Roy (if he's listed as a guard), Kidd, Billups... hell, maybe even some dark horses like Mayo, Terry, Smith, Gordon - the competition is stiff enough that he's far from being a lock.

mzgrizz
08-27-2009, 12:41 AM
I'll have to contemplate this latest development.........missed the 6p news here and was covered on local channels, but not 10p news. I figure it's a nudge to Miami to step up or he will come here.

LayZbone
08-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Z-BO
Gay
Mayo
AI

......I bet they rank 30th in the league in assists.

charlsdq7
08-27-2009, 12:49 AM
wish philly would bring him bak

DenButsu
08-27-2009, 12:50 AM
I'll have to contemplate this latest development.........missed the 6p news here and was covered on local channels, but not 10p news. I figure it's a nudge to Miami to step up or he will come here.

As a Grizz fan, do you like this if they sign him? I'd imagine some fans might worry about the continued development of Gay and Mayo being stifled. On the other hand, he's an exciting player with an exciting name who would really raise the profile of the team.

Catfish1314
08-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Z-BO
Gay
Mayo
AI

Yeah I really don't think this will work. Offense, especially on the perimeter, is not the Grizzlies problem. Finding an identity, improving defensively, and just developing chemistry is all they need (and a better point guard if Conley doesn't work out). Those things will take time. If anything, signing Iverson will just limit Conley and Mayo's development for as long as he's there.

Mavrix
08-27-2009, 12:57 AM
C- Gasol/Thabeet
PF- Z-Bo
SF- Gay
SG- Mayo
PG- Iverson/Conley

Can you see this team sneaking into the 8th seed?

Catfish1314
08-27-2009, 12:58 AM
C- Gasol/Thabeet
PF- Z-Bo
SF- Gay
SG- Mayo
PG- Iverson/Conley

If five of the seven players listed there completely turn over a new leaf defensively, then yes.

Mavrix
08-27-2009, 01:00 AM
They just need a better bench

They have horrible depth and besides Mayo and Conley they lack guards.

Draco
08-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Do the Grizz want Mayo and Gay shooting 40% of their team's shots? By comparison last season the Blazers top two scorers shot 39% of their team's shots. The Bulls top two scorers shot 36%, the Thunder's top two shot 37% and the Timberwolves top two shot 29%.

I guess figuring out how to get Iverson his touches is going to also teach Mayo and Gay how to give the ball up.

Ace33Bone
08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
C- Gasol/Thabeet
PF- Z-Bo
SF- Gay
SG- Mayo
PG- Iverson/Conley

I doubt that they will make it into the playoffs its too many scorers and not enough facilitators (besides Conley)... They will be a team that people will hate to play against on any given night because with all of that scoring talent and fire power that they possess it can become hell trying to go to Memphis to secure a win... But with that being said I think that the west is too thick for them to make the playoffs but they will drastically improve from the team we saw last year

blastmasta26
08-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Z-BO
Gay
Mayo
AI

I could see them putting up the least assists in NBA history. AI is a really bad choice for Memphis, the best spot for him is Charlotte, where they are in need of offense.

IBleedPurple
08-27-2009, 01:13 PM
that'd be great. it means AI, OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay triple-threat with the Grizz, and it also means Kobe and Iverson actually playing together in the all-star game as teammates for the West.

P.S.: 2008 all-star game doesn't count, though they were teammates kobe (lakers) & AI (nuggets), kobe only played the 1st minute of the game because of that injured finger of his.

I don't think Iverson will ever make the All-Star game again, regardless of which conference. In the West, he'd be behind CP3, D-Will, Billups, and potentially behind guys like Kidd & Andre Miller.

azkarraga
08-27-2009, 01:25 PM
why they want iverson for, they've got haddadi. lol

Sports Illustrator
08-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't know how they're going to do it. There's only one basketball to play with and everyone on that team looks to score.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Good luck Memphis!
4 ballhogs iverson, gay, mayo and z-bo in starting lineup
How many touches Gasol would get??

Whose their coach, ISIAH???

JonnyBrav000
08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
I hope Iverson has a revival and has a great season... doubt he can get Memphis to the playoffs... welll maybe because I think Rudy Gay is going to have a breakout star year and Mayo is already a beast... we shall see

J-Relo
08-27-2009, 01:56 PM
C- Gasol/Thabeet
PF- Z-Bo
SF- Gay
SG- Mayo
PG- Iverson/Conley

don't forget that star player - Haddadi...... actually Grizzlies 'd look nice on the paper, but it might not go on well... Everyone except Cs needs ball in their hands... but if go for it than Grizzlies should sign Iverson... maybe amazing can happen....

IversonIsKrazy
08-27-2009, 02:54 PM
AI wont go 2 Memphis. Its going to be Charlotte.

jimbobjarree
08-27-2009, 03:01 PM
sign him up!

Raph12
08-27-2009, 03:11 PM

AI and Kobe were always two of my fav players, both great scorers who could beat their man one-on-one without breaking a sweat.

They've never played together since entering the NBA (I don't count 2008 All Star game [Kobe played only 2 mins]). It would be fun to see the best scorers since MJ play together for the first time ever.

3RDASYSTEM
08-27-2009, 04:13 PM
U guys on here kill me with this not enough balls to go around...answer this, would u rather have not enough scorers(like BOBCATS and whoever) or would u rather have multiple options, cuz come playoff time its all about having playmakers/scorers plus throw in some timely key D stops mixed with always play hard on both ends,especially come PLAYOFF time options are a beautiful thing(go ask ORLANDO how big J.NELSON could have been in FINALS if healthy,especially how he did LAKERS in reg.season), plus MAYO/AI are combos guards in its purest form so they can take turns runnin half court sets,cuz they'll do plenty of runnin n gunnin...its like sayin the ST.LOUIS RAMS 99/2000(Greatest show on turf) or MANNINGS COLTS or BRADYS PATS(MVP YR-Present) have too much firepower but only one ball....boy i can tell over 85pct of people on here have never touched a court unless it was at halftime or after a game where u can walk out there for a hot minute...IVERSON has more career assists than PARKER/BILLUPS and a few other PG's yall like to throw out there that are up there...is the YANKEES/PHILLIES/REDSOX lineup too stacked...hell nah, u wanna be loaded...its like monkey see,monkey do....all yall go read each others posts and watch/read a little SPORTSCENTER/NEWSPAPER and repeat wat they say...which is so damn funny, how did AI become a cancer in 6 months out of his 13yr career...sure he butted heads with L.BROWN early on...cuz that will happen when you have dominant personalities of significant age gap(old/young)....everybodys done somethin detrimental to they team from JORDAN chokin KERR in practice to SHAQ doin/sayin somethin bout coaches/players to KOBE throwin his GM/TEAMMATES under bus to LEBRON walkin off court and skippin press conference,but i never heard a wiff of them bein cancers and im jus callin a spade a spade...how many players have ever made their teammates better @ gametime on the NBA court...u guys bought that junk....JORDAN/SHAQ/DUNCAN/AI/LEBRON made/make the game 'EASIER' for teammates becuz of the double/triple teams they get thrown at'em..JORDAN didnt make PAXSON/KERR/HODGES etc into the shooters they were but he did get them wide open looks so they can do their thing and they delivered(like hitting a wide open three is hard to do when its your specialty), same thing with DUNCAN/SHAQ...they would find the wide open 3 shooters/cutters when D would collapse but AI/LEBRON had lack of pretty much everything especially those teams they took to FINALS, so they got JORDAN ruled(triple teamed) pretty much everytime, one last thing...D does not win championships, last time i checked u gotta score buckets...remember when JORDAN stole ball from MALONE in 98 FINALS, if he doesnt hit game winning shot wat good would his D mean...they would have lost,they won cuz he made the 'BUCKET' setup from 'STEAL' so if anything, i kno great D teams like DET/S.A./CELTICS have won rings so imma catch some flak but not enough....DEFENSE IS A 'SETUP' FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS...POINTS win'em....i know this is a AI/GRIZZLIES post but i had to spill this out cuz im sick of hearing all the dumb talk about NASH/KIDD/PAUL etc. make they're teammates so much better and D wins titles and all that weak talk and dont none of those 3 i mentioned have a RING, tho i respect/luv all their games and really KIDD cuz he took his squad back to back FINALS trips, they just couldnt score enough points to win....how can NASH make MARION/STOUDAMIRE(high lottery picks) better..if anything its MIKE D. system, how did KIDD make KITTLES/KMART/JEFFERSON better or MAGIC making WORTH/JABBAR/SCOTT better(plus they won with SHOWTIME)...now this is the one and only way i feel to make your teammates better 'WORKIN WITH THEM DURING YOUR OFFSEASON PROGRAM AND WATCHING YOUR WORK ETHIC AND BUILDIN UP CONFIDENCE DURING OFFSEASON, dats how u make your teammates better and hopefully it translates to courts from offseason/training camp....whoever disagree feel free to speak ya mind..remember this is just my opinion so take all emotions out before respondin,its only b ball...they should say they make their teammates 'LOOK' better instead of makin'em better players..its a real big diff.

Draco
08-27-2009, 04:23 PM
U guys on here kill me with this not enough balls to go around...answer this, would u rather have not enough scorers(like BOBCATS and whoever) or would u rather have multiple options, cuz come playoff time its all about having playmakers/scorers plus throw in some timely key D stops mixed with always play hard on both ends,especially come PLAYOFF time options are a beautiful thing(go ask ORLANDO how big J.NELSON could have been in FINALS if healthy,especially how he did LAKERS in reg.season), plus MAYO/AI are combos guards in its purest form so they can take turns runnin half court sets,cuz they'll do plenty of runnin n gunnin...its like sayin the ST.LOUIS RAMS 99/2000(Greatest show on turf) or MANNINGS COLTS or BRADYS PATS(MVP YR-Present) have too much firepower but only one ball....boy i can tell over 85pct of people on here have never touched a court unless it was at halftime or after a game where u can walk out there for a hot minute...IVERSON has more career assists than PARKER/BILLUPS and a few other PG's yall like to throw out there that are up there...is the YANKEES/PHILLIES/REDSOX lineup too stacked...hell nah, u wanna be loaded...its like monkey see,monkey do....all yall go read each others posts and watch/read a little SPORTSCENTER/NEWSPAPER and repeat wat they say...which is so damn funny, how did AI become a cancer in 6 months out of his 13yr career...sure he butted heads with L.BROWN early on...cuz that will happen when you have dominant personalities of significant age gap(old/young)....everybodys done somethin detrimental to they team from JORDAN chokin KERR in practice to SHAQ doin/sayin somethin bout coaches/players to KOBE throwin his GM/TEAMMATES under bus to LEBRON walkin off court and skippin press conference,but i never heard a wiff of them bein cancers and im jus callin a spade a spade...how many players have ever made their teammates better @ gametime on the NBA court...u guys bought that junk....JORDAN/SHAQ/DUNCAN/AI/LEBRON made/make the game 'EASIER' for teammates becuz of the double/triple teams they get thrown at'em..JORDAN didnt make PAXSON/KERR/HODGES etc into the shooters they were but he did get them wide open looks so they can do their thing and they delivered(like hitting a wide open three is hard to do when its your specialty), same thing with DUNCAN/SHAQ...they would find the wide open 3 shooters/cutters when D would collapse but AI/LEBRON had lack of pretty much everything especially those teams they took to FINALS, so they got JORDAN ruled(triple teamed) pretty much everytime, one last thing...D does not win championships, last time i checked u gotta score buckets...remember when JORDAN stole ball from MALONE in 98 FINALS, if he doesnt hit game winning shot wat good would his D mean...they would have lost,they won cuz he made the 'BUCKET' setup from 'STEAL' so if anything, i kno great D teams like DET/S.A./CELTICS have won rings so imma catch some flak but not enough....DEFENSE IS A 'SETUP' FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS...POINTS win'em....i know this is a AI/GRIZZLIES post but i had to spill this out cuz im sick of hearing all the dumb talk about NASH/KIDD/PAUL etc. make they're teammates so much better and D wins titles and all that weak talk and dont none of those 3 i mentioned have a RING, tho i respect/luv all their games and really KIDD cuz he took his squad back to back FINALS trips, they just couldnt score enough points to win....how can NASH make MARION/STOUDAMIRE(high lottery picks) better..if anything its MIKE D. system, how did KIDD make KITTLES/KMART/JEFFERSON better or MAGIC making WORTH/JABBAR/SCOTT better(plus they won with SHOWTIME)...now this is the one and only way i feel to make your teammates better 'WORKIN WITH THEM DURING YOUR OFFSEASON PROGRAM AND WATCHING YOUR WORK ETHIC AND BUILDIN UP CONFIDENCE DURING OFFSEASON, dats how u make your teammates better and hopefully it translates to courts from offseason/training camp....whoever disagree feel free to speak ya mind..remember this is just my opinion so take all emotions out before respondin,its only b ball...they should say they make their teammates 'LOOK' better instead of makin'em better players..its a real big diff.

Longest run-on sentence I've seen on PSD. 683 words. :worthy:

MiamiHeat
08-27-2009, 04:31 PM

:faint:

but
AI TO MIAMI!!!!

blazerman
08-27-2009, 04:49 PM
They just need a better bench

They have horrible depth and besides Mayo and Conley they lack guards.

That's kinda the point of offering Iverson a contract!

championships
08-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Wow how the mighty have fallen. He was once a franchise player.

championships
08-27-2009, 05:19 PM

I assume you had something important to say in all that but it was just to damn long to read. Do you assume the Grizz will make the playoffs next year?

blah-blah
08-27-2009, 05:38 PM
this would be a great signing for the griz

C Thabeet
PF Randolph
SF Gay
SG Mayo
PG Iverson

JLynn943
08-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Z-BO
Gay
Mayo
AI

If Iverson goes to Memphis, he will have his career high in assists.

Besides, there's no way they'll have less than Sacramento...

Burkey3472
08-27-2009, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't like this deal too much if it happened. He wouldn't be making them a playoff team, he'd be stealing shots from young developing players like Gay and Mayo, stealing minutes from Conley (who really starting coming on toward the end of the season). The only plus this would give the Griz is maybe they would draw more fans, but outside of that, I think it would hurt them in the long run.

mzgrizz
08-27-2009, 09:30 PM
As a Grizz fan, do you like this if they sign him? I'd imagine some fans might worry about the continued development of Gay and Mayo being stifled. On the other hand, he's an exciting player with an exciting name who would really raise the profile of the team.

As a Grizz fan, I am now allowing myself to think he might actually come here.....though I missed the 6p news today as I was still in the office.
I think he's actually a win/win for us and maybe for him. I figure he'll get a minimum of 20 minutes PT ; could put MC out of the starting position if he has all his game;he'll definitely increase season ticket sales which have already bumped 15% over last year; he already comes to the Memphis area all the time(inside info) so it's not like he doesn't like it here; the new offer is probably tied to ticket sales bumps and performance; both of which he can do. Mayo ,to me, is our future, and I believe he will be ok with having such a storied vet.
I refuse to get bummed out if he doesn't come, because our recruiting class was pretty darn good. So according to our newspaper, we will all know in a couple of weeks.

IBleedPurple
08-27-2009, 09:32 PM

And Draco gets the award for counting the words, props for that.

Draco
08-27-2009, 10:19 PM
And Draco gets the award for counting the words, props for that.

Didn't take much to cut and paste a post into WordPad... but thanks all the same.

BkOriginalOne
08-27-2009, 10:47 PM
How can you have Allen Iverson and Zach Randolph on the same team?
Iverson is just trying to push the price, Bobcats will get him.

Hellcrooner
08-27-2009, 11:27 PM
I envisin them being the worst team in assists.

an opne war between all their vba hoghs and Marc Gasol wanting out in teh middle of the season after scoring 0 points a game and finding himslef ie 15 uncovered positions in each of them jsut to watch one or the other or the other or the other one making the shot no matter o bad a position they are in.

AllTheWay
08-27-2009, 11:28 PM
I actually read that whole post

mrblisterdundee
08-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Why is Iverson so obsessed with wasting his talent? Nobody can keep their head up their *** for so long.

Hellcrooner
08-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Man i mean it, there is just one ball.

there were already some moments last seasons were grizz lost games because Gay 80% of the times or mayo 20% decided that they needed to be the heroe of the game and stated shooting and not caring to pass the ball to the open man.

there were times on fast breal Gay had the ball with three guys on him and had Warrick alone on teh left and Marc Gasol alone on the right and he took the dam shot.

Add Iverson AND randolph to that.

oficcially the worst idea EVER;

PLAYERS FAN
08-28-2009, 12:02 AM

:laugh2:

PLAYERS FAN
08-28-2009, 12:08 AM
I personally want him to go to the bobcats.

blazerman
08-28-2009, 12:33 AM
How can you have Allen Iverson and Zach Randolph on the same team?
Iverson is just trying to push the price, Bobcats will get him.

My thought exactly!

If Iverson does sign though I'd be happy for Grizz fans and Im sure he would bring back some fans. If Charolotte offers him a similar deal he will jump at it because they could really use him.

mzgrizz
08-28-2009, 11:31 PM
^^^^ My thoughts.too...I think he may be jacking us around to get max dollars out of Charlotte, but he REALLY does like and visit the city of Memphis....he's got to live in the city where he plays most of the year,,,,,,so ,,,,,who knows?? Thinl it's all about the $$$ now? I don't; but they can't insult the man either.