PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs - #2 Phoenix Suns vs #3 Golden State Warriors

BlondeBomber41
08-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Every offseason some of us on PSD do a mock offseason where we simulate an offseason by doing mock free agency and trades. Below are the rosters of two teams after the game, please look at both rosters and give your honest opinion on who you believe would win.

Remember, these votes have nothing to do with your real team so there is no reason to be a homer.

Phoenix Suns Lineup:

C - Yao / Rasho Nesterovic / Stephen Hunter
PF - Rashard Lewis / Lamar Odom
SF - Stephen Jackson / Grant Hill / Stephen Graham
SG - Vince Carter / Joey Graham / Adam Morrison
PG - Steve Nash / Earl Watson / Speedy Claxton

Golden State Warriors Lineup:

C - Shaq/Aaron Gray/Johan Petro
PF Dirk Nowitzki/Zach Randolph/Tim Thomas/Hamed Haddadi
SF Danny Granger/Wally Szczerbiak/Antoine Wright
SG - John Salmons/Jarvis Hayes
PG Mo Williams/CJ Watson

Phoenix Suns Series Writeup:

Suns have home advantage and we feel that is a huge bonus by itself before even discussing the match ups.

Nash vs Mo: A hands down no contest in favour of the suns. Yes Williams can be an offensive weapon at times but too often he relies on his jump-shot. With Stars like Dirk and Granger needing the ball, I think it will be very difficult for Mo Williams and his shoot first tendencies to really bring out the best in each of the warriors best players. As far as Nash goes, he still remains an elite pg with tremendous playmaking ability. Nash can hit a shot from anywhere on the floor and can create plays for his teammates left, right and center. We look for Nash to expose the defensive deficiencies of the warriors in the series and it all starts with the pg that will be breaking them down each and every play.

VC vs Salmons: Salmons is coming off a nice season in which he was the best player on a terrible team before being traded. Salmons certainly likes to get his shots up and was a top 50 player this year in shot attempts. That has to be a real concern going into this series when we consider that each player on the warriors likes to be the guy on offense. Salmons last year averaged under 4 assists per game with the Kings and 2 assists per game with the Bulls, not encouraging signs to consider when Granger and Dirk need the ball on offense to be effective. While Salmons is an ok defender, he won't be able to keep up with Vince Carter. Carter remains a superstar type player who can carry a team during a game. VC's shooting ability should keep Salmons tight and allow Carter to take Salmons off the dribble often. Advantage Suns

Key Stats: Mo Williams and Salmons combined for just over 7 assists per game last season. How are Dirk and Granger going to get the ball with two shoot first guards bringing up the ball?

Jackson vs Granger: This should be a great matchup in this series. Granger continues to be a force on offense and has shown many occasions just how prolific a scorer he is. That being said, Jackson represents a great defender who knows how to keep athletic wing players in front of him. He should slow down Granger enough on defence to ensure Granger settles for bad looks on occasion. Granger is still young and the experience of Jackson should benefit him in this matchup. Jackson is also a complete offensive player who can penetrate to the basket, dish out assists and drop shot from inside the 3 point line and outside.

Rashard/Odom vs Dirk: Both Rashard and Odom will see a great deal of time against Dirk in this series. With Rashard and Lamar, we have two good PF's who can defend face up PF's like Dirk quite well. Odom has always played Dirk tough in the past and is able to stay in front of dirk on defence and allow him not to get to the basket with ease. Both Rashard and Odom offer a tremendous workload to Dirk who is not a great defender but can be good at times. Both the suns big's can step out and hit the three, put the ball on the floor and make Dirk work every play on the defensive end. We look for big things from Rashard and Lamar as we think they can do the job of keeping Dirk in Check.

Yao vs Shaq: Another battle for these two giants. Once again they will go at it. When Yao first came into the league, Shaq was the better player. How times have changed. Yao remains the most talented center in the game today. His offensive game is extremely polished and he provides a strong defensive presence in the middle on defence altering and blocking shots. Yao has gotten the best of Shaq over the last few years, especially in fitness. Yao remains in better shape and could certainly play a bigger role in the game then the aging Shaq. Yao will remain a 20-10 player in this series because of his polished offensive game which at this point is not just a game that relies on backing down his check until he gets a dunk. Advantage Suns

Bench: The suns offer perhaps the best sixth man in the NBA with Lamar Odom. He can defend multiple positions and be a factor on both offense and defence throughout the game. Randolph on the other hand, while he can be effective on offense, he is a tremendous liability on the defensive end. He is a terrible weak side defender, often giving up on plays when things do not go his way. His offensive basketball IQ at best is poor, too often he takes ill advised shots because he wants the ball and wants to take the shot. He has never been a player to relish playing off the bench and really will not be a factor at all in this series because of his decision making on offense and defence. Helping Odom out are Earl Watson, Rasho and Grant Hill. Each player is a veteran that knows how to be effective with or without the ball. Watson is a dependable back up pg who has experience starting and running the offense when ever called upon. In only 26 minutes per game last year, he averaged 6 assists per game. Grant Hill has been a starter on good teams all throughout his career. He is unselfish and only cares about helping the team win. He can step in and provide solid bench scoring and defence when called upon. With CJ Watson backing up Mo Williams, the team lacks a veteran pg presence off the bench. CJ while being a good shooter is a first past pg like Williams, something the Warriors could do without, not enough distributors, too many shooters. The Suns with their experience and the star power of Lamar Odom have the upper hand.

Conclusion: With Odom and Rashard on Dirk for the series, we feel very confident that we can contain Dirk enough to win the series. Our backcourt remains significantly better then the warriors and their lack of experience off the bench for their backcourt is another concern. Watson cannot be relied on to contain Nash on defence when he is on the floor. With Nash, VC, Jackson, Rashard, Yao and Odom, we have 6 players who can score 20 ppg any given night. With the warriors lacking any great defensive players, our numerous offensive weapons should have a big series. Suns in 6.

Golden State Warriors Series Writeup:

Mo Williams vs. Steve Nash: Nash is a former all-star and the better player here at the point. However, Nash is an aging pg, and Mo Williams is one of the top up and coming stars and at PG. An all star last season, Mo has proven what he can do, and he is the better shooter here at the point.

John Salmons vs. Vince Carter: We all know that Vince Carter is the bigger name here, but we have possibly one of the most underrated player and scorer in the entire NBA, with John Salmons here. This matchup at SG is pretty close. VC is somewhat of a chucker, and might not mix well with S-Jax. Salmons is the better defender here, and will have an easier time scoring against VC, than VC will on Salmons.

Danny Granger vs. Stephen Jackson: We win this matchup fairly easily. Granger is the better player here overall, and the combo of S-Jax and VC may have problems, with both guys wanting to take shots every time they touch the ball. Granger is the better team player, and probably even the better shooter here.

Dirk Nowitski vs. Rashard Lewis: This is the position matchup that we hope wins the series for us. Rashard will have a tough time handling Dirk inside. Rashard Lewis is mostly an outside player, so most PF's would have a tough time chasing him on the perimeter, but thats certainly not the case here. Dirk is an excellent perimeter defender on PF's and he will be able to hang with Shard easily around the perimeter.

Shaquille O'Neal vs. Yao Ming: Pretty even battle here at C, but the slight edge might go to Shaq here. Shaq tends to have his way with Yao for the most part, and the injury prone Yao may have trouble handling O'Neal.

Both benches are pretty solid here. Much like the Suns with Lamar Odom, the Warriors have Zach Randolph coming off the bench to give Shaq and Dirk breaks throughout the game. Randolph should be able to dominate Rashard lewis inside when he gets in, and when Zach comes in, we would keep Dirk on Lewis if Rashard is in the game. CJ Watson is a double digit scorer off the bench for us at the guard postition, who should be able to score and defend well for us off the bench.

Both teams are very good here, so please vote for the team that you think will win in a 7 game series. Best of luck to the Phoenix Suns here, as this should be a very good matchup.

Joshtd1
08-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I like the Suns here.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Suns no doubt.

FC_4_life
08-26-2009, 06:51 PM
The Warriors would like to emphasize that Yao was injured before the season ended and therefore would be injured for the duration of this mock. The Suns have no match for Shaq once the injury prone Yao gets hurt again. The matchup in the playoffs will be Steven Hunter vs. Shaq, and that clearly would single-handedly win the series for us.

Mile High Champ
08-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Very excited for this series

mitch91
08-26-2009, 06:54 PM
i got the suns on this one

Mile High Champ
08-26-2009, 06:55 PM
The Warriors would like to emphasize that Yao was injured before the season ended and therefore would be injured for the duration of this mock. The Suns have no match for Shaq once the injury prone Yao gets hurt again. The matchup in the playoffs will be Steven Hunter vs. Shaq, and that clearly would single-handedly win the series for us.

Haha nice try fc, injuries are not a part of the mock, if you have to try and beat me with that as your primary point of emphasis for the series then that is just plain sad, shame on you. At least try and man up. Yao over shaq anyday of the week.

Mile High Champ
08-26-2009, 07:30 PM
I like the start so far

jimbobjarree
08-26-2009, 07:41 PM
freaking tough one to call, Suns back court and depth clinched it eventually for me, sorry FC, its closer than the votes are at the minute

mitch91
08-26-2009, 07:48 PM
"Ohhhh Brewer, one day your beard will be as manly as the others...one day"-hahahhaha ****ing hilerious jimbob!

FC_4_life
08-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Haha nice try fc, injuries are not a part of the mock, if you have to try and beat me with that as your primary point of emphasis for the series then that is just plain sad, shame on you. At least try and man up. Yao over shaq anyday of the week.

I still don't understand how that works, he was hurt BEFORE the playoffs, and he was announced to be injured for the whole season BEFORE the mock started. Therefore, how would his injury not count?

And that is the pivotal position, because I have you beat at SF and PF easily, and you have PG and SG won easily. Plus the benches are just about even, so this about clinches it. How can you take a player WHO MAY NEVER PLAY IN THE NBA AGAIN over a perennial all star who will outmuscle him the whole game? Neither of our teams run a fast-paced offense either, so your claim of Yao being more athletic doesn't make sense. You can't exactly be more athletic if you are out for the season...

Durant is hype
08-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Suns

jimbobjarree
08-26-2009, 08:00 PM
"Ohhhh Brewer, one day your beard will be as manly as the others...one day"-hahahhaha ****ing hilerious jimbob!

haha, he's trying bless him

ooo and a fellow 'Brit' too, nice

Catfish1314
08-26-2009, 08:28 PM
I really like both of these teams but the deciding factors for me were Steve Nash and Lamar Odom. Odom might be the most versatile player in the league, capable of playing and defending 4 positions. Having him off the bench is a huge luxury that is still severely underrated in real life. Nash, even in his mid 30s, remains one of the best floor generals in the league and one of only a handful of guys who can legitimately make his teammates better. So you would also have to factor that into the offensive production of guys like Carter and Jackson, who played with shoot-first point guards or no point guard at all last season.

Those factors and homecourt advantage for Phoenix are the pivotal factors for me. Both GMs did an outstanding job and I'm a big fan of both teams.

Suns in 7.

celticfan
08-26-2009, 09:49 PM
this is the best series in the this round

Duncan = Donkey
08-27-2009, 03:31 AM
he is the better shooter here at the point

i dont see how Mo Williams is a better shooter that Nash....thats just crazy

anyway 2 very good teams, but i went with PHX

Saint Brian
08-27-2009, 06:14 AM
I think the Suns are deeper.

Sportfan
08-27-2009, 11:17 AM
extremley tough to call, but i think people are underrating salmons too much he's a 18 point scorer and a good perimeter defender. I got the Warriors in 7 in a long tough series

Ace33Bone
08-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Suns

jimbobjarree
08-27-2009, 03:05 PM
looks like phoenix

jimbobjarree
08-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Suns are through to face the Spurs in th WCF, congrats MHC!

mitch91
08-28-2009, 10:59 AM
haha, he's trying bless him

ooo and a fellow 'Brit' too, nice

sorry im irish not a brit, slight difference. does it not say belfast IRELAND lol

jimbobjarree
08-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Belfast/Northern Ireland=Great Britain

mitch91
08-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Belfast/Northern Ireland=Great Britain

belfast is in the north of ireland yes, but im irish. says so on my birth certificate, password everything really. i speak the native language so im irish end of

jimbobjarree
08-28-2009, 11:06 AM
ahhh so your from ROI living in British Northern Ireland...I get it

mitch91
08-28-2009, 11:12 AM
ahhh so your from ROI living in British Northern Ireland...I get it

no im from ireland. please stop acting a twat as you know what you are doing and it is very very offensive. i will not hesitate to report you, im not the type but its not a cool way to act.

so you stop it now or il be forced to do something about it.

dont act a smart arse, its doesnt suit you. i have asked you twice now to not call me british and respect that i am irish living in the north, if you continue to not respect that then il report you and its clear that i have tried to do this nicely

thephoenixson28
08-28-2009, 11:32 AM
What is the mock draft about I don't know anything about it can someone please explain

thephoenixson28
08-28-2009, 11:39 AM
no im from ireland. please stop acting a twat as you know what you are doing and it is very very offensive. i will not hesitate to report you, im not the type but its not a cool way to act.

dont act a smart arse, its doesnt suit you. i have asked you twice now to not call me british and respect that i am irish living in the north, if you continue to not respect that then il report you and its clear that i have tried to do this nicely What's a twat I been called that on gears of war 2 ad they told me **** you americans.

mitch91
08-28-2009, 11:43 AM
What's a twat I been called that on gears of war 2 ad they told me **** you americans.

twat is english word, i only said it because jimbob is english and would understand it, where as im irish

but anyway twat means vagina.

excuse the language but the question was asked

jimbobjarree
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
woah chill out man lol, I called you a Brit like yesterday so regardless of how many times you asked me to stop calling you one thats the only time I have. And since then I just stated the facts trying to suss you out, Northern Ireland is in Great Britain, and by you saying you werent I just guessed you were from ROI.

And I'm not being a smart arse, Northern Ireland is in Great Britain, so technically you are British, thats why I called you a 'Brit' in apostraphys cus to the Americans we are all just Brits to them. I was just seeing if you were from ROI, which would mean your not from Great Britain, which you said you werent.

Then I realised you are a nationalist and stopped calling you one, but calling me a twat inclined me to reply, you'll need to grow a thicker skin to survive on here mate if your gunna go around reporting people for things like that. Calling me a twat is probably a higher reportable offense than calling someone a 'Brit'

and yeah, I think acting a smart arse suits me :dance2:

Mile High Champ
08-28-2009, 12:17 PM
What is the mock draft about I don't know anything about it can someone please explain

PSD users take on the roll of being GM's of all the teams in the NBA. You run your team through an nba off-season, we have the nba draft, trading and of course free agency. The goal is either to try and make your team better to conetend for a championship for rebuild for the future. Here is a link to the mock-off-season.

Cheers

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117

DerekRE_3
08-28-2009, 07:28 PM

dont act a smart arse, its doesnt suit you. i have asked you twice now to not call me british and respect that i am irish living in the north, if you continue to not respect that then il report you and its clear that i have tried to do this nicely

Was your uncle in the IRA?

ManRam
08-29-2009, 08:11 AM
I usually don't read what the guys write...but when the Warriors GM said that Mo Williams is a better shooter than Steve Nash...I stopped reading and clicked the Suns.

mitch91
08-29-2009, 09:37 AM
woah chill out man lol, I called you a Brit like yesterday so regardless of how many times you asked me to stop calling you one thats the only time I have. And since then I just stated the facts trying to suss you out, Northern Ireland is in Great Britain, and by you saying you werent I just guessed you were from ROI.

And I'm not being a smart arse, Northern Ireland is in Great Britain, so technically you are British, thats why I called you a 'Brit' in apostraphys cus to the Americans we are all just Brits to them. I was just seeing if you were from ROI, which would mean your not from Great Britain, which you said you werent.

Then I realised you are a nationalist and stopped calling you one, but calling me a twat inclined me to reply, you'll need to grow a thicker skin to survive on here mate if your gunna go around reporting people for things like that. Calling me a twat is probably a higher reportable offense than calling someone a 'Brit'

and yeah, I think acting a smart arse suits me :dance2:

i told you i was irish and that should have been the end of it. you didnt need to continue it and act a smart arse. but typical british people i guess.

mitch91
08-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Was your uncle in the IRA?

sadly my uncle didn't make the cut

Mile High Champ
08-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Wow let's keep the talk about basketball and not fundamental extremeists.

jimbobjarree
08-29-2009, 09:55 AM
haha exactly, we dont need this nationalist nut job getting involved