PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs - #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Chicago Bulls

BlondeBomber41
08-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Every offseason some of us on PSD do a mock offseason where we simulate an offseason by doing mock free agency and trades. Below are the rosters of two teams after the game, please look at both rosters and give your honest opinion on who you believe would win.

Remember, these votes have nothing to do with your real team so there is no reason to be a homer.

Boston Celtics Lineup:

C-Rasheed Wallace/Jeff Foster/Mark Blount
PF-Kevin Garnett/Kenyon Martin/Brian Skinner
SF-LeBron James/Shawne Williams
SG-Dahntay Jones/Keith Bogans
PG-Devin Harris/Luke Ridnour

Chicago Bulls Lineup:

PG: Derrick Rose - Sebastian Telfair - Lindsey Hunter
SG: Randy Foye - Daequan Cook - Willie Green
SF: Andrei Kirilenko - Mike Miller - Corey Brewer
PF: Chris Bosh - Craig Smith - Louis Amundson
C: Joakim Noah - Ben Wallace - Kyrylo Fesenko

Boston Celtics Series Writeup:

1 Boston Celtics vs. 4 Chicago Bulls

I would like to congratulate KH12 and BN1F for advancing to the 2nd round. As a fellow Bulls fan, I can honestly say I like what they have done with the team.

Frontcourt:

Defense is the difference up front in this match up. I love me some JoNo but Wallace is a more seasoned, rugged player and his offensive versatility would give Noah problems when he's on. Defensively, Noah is not at all complicated to handle and boxing him out for the rebound is really all it takes to stop him in a halfcourt set.

Garnett and Bosh are very similar players offensively but defensively, KG is much tougher and Bosh is a textbook example of anything but tough. And defending Bosh would not be solely Garnett's assignment. Wallace, Jeff Foster, and Kenyon Martin are 3 of the NBA's fiercest, toughest interior defenders the league has to offer and their presence on the roster would allow me to have a top notch post defender on Bosh every minute he is on the floor. I believe that would severely limit Bosh's production in this series.

Edge: Celtics

Small Forward:

Kirilenko only has 1 of several physical tools it takes to individually defend LeBron James with any effectiveness at all and that's length. He doesn't have the strength, lateral speed, or the toughness needed when checking James. LeBron has absolutely punished much better defenders and Kirilenko nor Mike Miller could handle him defensively and even combined, come close to matching his offensive output.

Edge: Celtics

Backcourt:

Derrick Rose vs. Devin Harris would be something to see in a playoff series. I would call it a wash, but after seeing Rajon Rondo pick Rose apart in the playoffs this season, I doubt he could do anything with a more experienced and offensively polished Harris. On the defensive side of the ball, Harris has a major edge over a still-developing Rose. Harris is also the more experienced player with Finals experience from his days as a Maverick and plenty of overall playoff experience there as well.

Foye is a good scorer but contrary to the Bulls' previous write-up he is anything but an excellent defender. In fact, he's the complete opposite. Jones is also a 1 dimensional player but with LeBron, Garnett, and Harris to play off of, his offensive production wouldn't be very inferior to Foye's.

Edge: Even

Defensively my Celtics have the most complete team in the league and while I'm fond of this Bulls team, they are an average team at best at that end of the floor. I also have the more experienced team and while they have the deeper overall team, it wouldn't be enough to sway the series in their favor. Defense wins championships and the Celtics simply have a lot more of it. Congrats again to KH12 and BN1F on advancing this far and good luck to them both.

Chicago Bulls Series Writeup:

A Few Words
I really hope people read this write up before voting. I laid out why I think we're a better team, but if you want to vote for the team with the biggest names, there's nothing I can do about that. I firmly believe that this team can beat the VERY OLD and FRAGILE front court of the Boston Celtics. Rose/Harris will be a fantastic match up to watch. Foye/Jones is a clear win for us. LeBron is a MVP player, but we have a great defender ready to lock him down. Bosh/KG is a great match up, but KG is 34 years old and hasn't been the great statistical player as he was in Minnesota. Noah/Sheed is another youth vs. veteran match up, Sheed is 36 years old and we feel Noah's athleticism can definitely shut him down. The Boston Celtics have huge names, and on paper, those names look great. That's why the play the game though, and we feel our team is better and the Chicago Bulls will advance to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Derrick ROse vs. Devin Harris
We feel that we have an advantage here. Devin had great numbers in 2008/2009, but who else was on his team? He was the only option. Brook Lopez had a great year for a rookie, but still only scored 13 ppg. Harris was the #1 option on a terrible team, and we feel when he's on a good team (like with Dallas, and now Boston) that his numbers would lean more towards the 15/3/6 that he put up there. There isn't going to be a ton of shots for him with guys like LeBron, KG, 'Sheed and K-Mart on the team. Derrick will only continue to get better, with another year in the league for development, and especially with a great post scorer like Chris Bosh here in Chicago.
Advantage: Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls

Randy Foye vs. Dahntay Jones
We have another advantage here at the SG spot. Dahntay is an okay player, but is he really a starting SG on a team that wants to win? No. Jones only averaged 5/2/1 last year. Randy Foye had a great season where he put up 16/3/4. It's not even close.
Advantage: Randy Foye, Chicago Bulls

Andrei Kirilenko vs. LeBron James
Everyone knows that LeBron is a great player, but now he's got a GREAT defender guarding him. AK47 may not be able to stop LeBron James completely, but he can certainly slow him down and that's all that we're asking for.
Advantage: LeBron James, Boston Celtics

Chris Bosh vs. Kevin Garnett
I think this match up determines a lot on Kevin's health. Last year KG had a big time injury that forced him to miss over 1/4 of the season and all of the playoffs. Will KG show any effects from that injury? I think so. He's also getting up there in age as he'll be 34 in this years post season. He's no spring chicken anymore and even when he was healthy, he was getting outplayed by Chris Bosh. Bosh has routinely put up 22/10/2.5, the last time KG sniffed those numbers was when he was in Minnesota three years ago.
Advantage: Chris Bosh, Chicago Bulls

Joakim Noah vs. Rasheed Wallace
If you go just by the name value, sure Rasheed will win this. However, he's just not the Rasheed Wallace of old. His temper will always gets the best of him, especially now that he's 36 years old. 'Sheed has never been a team player either. If there's one guy that can guard Rasheed, we believe it's Joakim Noah. Not only is Noah taller than Sheed, but he's also more athletic. Noah can defend in the paint, on the block or behind the arch. Noah averaged 10/13/2/2 in the playoffs last year against the Celtics and we feel he's only on his way up.
Advantage: I feel that this is more of a push, could make a point for a small advantage towards either player at this point.

Mike Miller vs. Kenyon Martin
No, these two players won't guard each other but are definitely the 6th men of each squad. However, would you want a big man who would have to replace KG or Rasheed Wallace (where one of KG/K-Mart would have to player Center) or a great shooting wing player who can score/rebound/pass the ball? I'll take Mike Miller all day coming off the bench. K-Mart is a good player, but I'm not sure how effective he'll be coming off the bench while Miller is a proven 6th man, evidence by his 6th man of the year trophy displayed in his house.
Advantage: Mike Miller, Chicago Bulls.

bigsams50
08-26-2009, 06:39 PM
kg is better than bosh man

Raps18-19 Champ
08-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Lebron and Garnett will dominate on both sides of the court.

Joshtd1
08-26-2009, 06:45 PM
I think the Bulls matchup very nicely with the Celtics honestly. They have a better bench as well...I will have to think about who think would win.

mitch91
08-26-2009, 06:52 PM
i think the bulls match up well, though i just woult not want to bet against that celtics team. i see them going all the way

97'bulls
08-26-2009, 07:24 PM
That Celtics team would not play well together at all

jimbobjarree
08-26-2009, 07:27 PM
I'll back the Cs on this, sorry kh12

well done to both of you

Catfish1314
08-26-2009, 07:37 PM
That Celtics team would not play well together at all

Way to support your thought with logical information.

There are so many things wrong with the Bulls write-up I'm not sure I can cover it all, but I will say that Andrei Kirilenko is sure as all hell not going to "lock down" LeBron James. No one player can do it, no one player is even capable. And no team could "lock him down" either.

And I really like the whole "very old, very fragile" frontcourt bit when they have Softie McSoftsoft starting at power forward.

KH12
08-26-2009, 07:51 PM
"AK47 may not be able to stop LeBron James completely, but he can certainly slow him down and that's all that we're asking for."

...and come on man, they are old (KG and Sheed) and they are fragile (KG, Sheed and Kenyon all missed around 20 games last year).

jimbobjarree
08-26-2009, 08:06 PM
yeah but the Bulls will bring Fez on to do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tarzvkclaY

he is the Bron stopper!

Catfish1314
08-26-2009, 08:06 PM
"LeBron is a MVP player, but we have a great defender ready to lock him down."

Pick one. Which do you think will happen?

Saying they're fragile is an ignorant way of looking at it. Do you know how many injuries Garnett has had in his NBA career? Very few. In fact he has played in fewer than 71 regular season games a total of twice in his career. So calling him fragile after one of the first major injuries, and one of virtually none, he's had in the last several years is pretty weak. It's not like he tore something. Missing 16 games in the regular season is no big thing for a 34, not 36, year old either. And if you'll notice they were all, except for Foster, expected to log big minutes on their repsective teams. That won't be the case here since all 4 of them are together.

ugadawgsfan17
08-26-2009, 08:12 PM
:laugh2: The two people that voted Bulls have Bulls-related names

KH12
08-26-2009, 08:14 PM
"LeBron is a MVP player, but we have a great defender ready to lock him down."

Pick one. Which do you think will happen?

Saying they're fragile is an ignorant way of looking at it. Do you know how many injuries Garnett has had in his NBA career? Very few. In fact he has played in fewer than 71 regular season games a total of twice in his career. So calling him fragile after one of the first major injuries, and one of virtually none, he's had in the last several years is pretty weak. It's not like he tore something. Missing 16 games in the regular season is no big thing for a 34, not 36, year old either. And if you'll notice they were all, except for Foster, expected to log big minutes on their repsective teams. That won't be the case here since all 4 of them are together.

Meh, obviously nobody can lock LeBron down, just misworded it as I was typing fast.

KG isn't that player any more that didn't miss all those games. You get older, and all those minor injuries add up. To be honest, I don't care how many games he missed when he was in his 20s. I never said KG was 36, I said Sheed was 36.

It's not like it even matters though.

Catfish1314
08-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Meh, obviously nobody can lock LeBron down, just misworded it as I was typing fast.

KG isn't that player any more that didn't miss all those games. You get older, and all those minor injuries add up. To be honest, I don't care how many games he missed when he was in his 20s. I never said KG was 36, I said Sheed was 36.

It's not like it even matters though.

Yes I know. I was talking about Sheed too. He's not 36, he's 34. And Garnett is 33 and turned 33 in May.

And none of us know if he isn't that same player anymore. Since it's the first major injury he has had since the late 90s, I'm inclined to give one of the toughest, passionate players in NBA history the benefit of the doubt on this one.

KH12
08-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Yes I know. I was talking about Sheed too. He's not 36, he's 34. And Garnett is 33 and turned 33 in May.

And none of us know if he isn't that same player anymore. Since it's the first major injury he has had since the late 90s, I'm inclined to give one of the toughest, passionate players in NBA history the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I was projecting the ages a year since isn't this based on the 2009/2010 playoffs?

Catfish1314
08-26-2009, 08:33 PM
I was projecting the ages a year since isn't this based on the 2009/2010 playoffs?

Wallace would still be 35 and Garnett would have just turned 34. With Kenyon Martin and Jeff Foster off the bench, I don't have to worry about fatigue for any of the 4. If they start to get tired, they just sit and starting caliber players come in to spell them. Even LeBron can play a little PF in spurts.

Ace33Bone
08-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Celtics in this one

jimbobjarree
08-27-2009, 02:54 PM
celts have this

jimbobjarree
08-27-2009, 03:01 PM
will be a tough series

jimbobjarree
08-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Boston Celtics progress!