PDA

View Full Version : Popovich: Spurs' Big Three will be healthy

JordansBulls
08-26-2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/08/25/spurs.big.three.ap/index.html

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili left being busy this summer to the rest of the San Antonio Spurs.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Tuesday that his two aging stars have taken it easier than usual this offseason to get healthy, while the Spurs front office was unusually active and swinging deals for major additions like Richard Jefferson and Antonio McDyess.

Duncan, hobbled by knee problems down the stretch and in the playoffs, has pushed back the normal start of his normal preseason regimen by a month. The 33-year-old will begin workouts next week that the All-Star typically gets going in early August.

Ginobili, meanwhile, has limited his summer activity to a treadmill and some walks after appearing in just 44 games last season because of bad ankles.

"He is healthy," Popovich said. "He'll come back out of shape but healthy."

Between Duncan's ailing legs and a weak supporting cast, the Spurs limped into their earliest summer since 2000 after a first-round playoff loss to Dallas.

Duncan sat out several back-to-backs down the stretch because of a nagging right quad injury that Popovich said has healed.

"He's got more flexibility in that leg than he ever has," Popovich said. "Significantly more. He's cranking his knees during the day and at night when he goes to bed. It's paid off."

ctitus45
08-26-2009, 03:53 PM
if they can stay healthy all season and thru the playoffs...they have to be the team to beat. yes, above the lakers. and yes, im a mavs fan...but still...if you're top three have already won 3 rings (manu/gino/timmy) then adding RJ/McDyess..along with bench/role players like Fin/GeorgeHill/Mason Jr. I think they have the best chance to win it. I think people are thinking to high of the defending champs. Adding an ego like Artest screws up a lot of your planning. Adding an RJ doesn't becaue he is the kind of player that accepts a role and never feels like he has to do something to make a name of himself. The dude wants rings. Artest may want Rings, yes, but he still wants attention. I dunno if he understands yet that rings brings attention.

BUCSFORLIFE123
08-26-2009, 03:56 PM
if they can stay healthy all season and thru the playoffs...they have to be the team to beat. yes, above the lakers. and yes, im a mavs fan...but still...if you're top three have already won 3 rings (manu/gino/timmy) then adding RJ/McDyess..along with bench/role players like Fin/GeorgeHill/Mason Jr. I think they have the best chance to win it. I think people are thinking to high of the defending champs. Adding an ego like Artest screws up a lot of your planning. Adding an RJ doesn't becaue he is the kind of player that accepts a role and never feels like he has to do something to make a name of himself. The dude wants rings. Artest may want Rings, yes, but he still wants attention. I dunno if he understands yet that rings brings attention.

well said

Joshtd1
08-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Yep, they really havent done much this summer except rest..which is what the doctor ordered.

JordansBulls
08-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Yep, they really havent done much this summer except rest..which is what the doctor ordered.

So they probably won't get that #1 seed.

Indi23
08-26-2009, 05:59 PM
would it be a bad thing to say if we called it the big 4 this year? i think rj wll still be a dynamic scorer.

Lakersfan2483
08-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Even if they are healthy, they are not better than the Lakers. The lakers have the deepest team in basketball and feature the game's best player in Kobe. Odom is a matchup nightmare off of the bench and the team has gotten better in terms of adding an elite defender in Artest. Pau is arguably the best 2nd option in the NBA and Bynum is only going to continue to get better. I just don't think the Spurs can stop the Lakers in a 7 game series, LA has far too many weapons.....

The Spurs have a very talented roster, but a lot of their players are past their prime (Duncan, Manu, Finley, Mcdyess) and age/health will definitely be a factor over the course of a long 82 game season. The addition of Jefferson is definitely an upgrade, but it doesn't put them over the top out West.

Spurred1
08-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Very promising news. I'm anxious to see how the team comes together-if Manu is 100%, Spurs can do a lot of damage.

Bashna
08-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Even if they are healthy, they are not better than the Lakers. The lakers have the deepest team in basketball and feature the game's Second best player in Kobe. Odom is a matchup nightmare off of the bench and the team has gotten better in terms of adding an elite defender in Artest. Pau is arguably the best 2nd option in the NBA and Bynum is only going to continue to get better. I just don't think the Spurs can stop the Lakers in a 7 game series, LA has far too many weapons.....

The Spurs have a very talented roster, but a lot of their players are past their prime (Duncan, Manu, Finley, Mcdyess) and age/health will definitely be a factor over the course of a long 82 game season. The addition of Jefferson is definitely an upgrade, but it doesn't put them over the top out West.

Fixed

RaiderLakersA's
08-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I want all of the top teams to remain healthy. Good luck to the Spurs and hope to see them in the Conference Finals.

IBleedPurple
08-26-2009, 07:47 PM
I don't trust Pop's crystal ball any more than I do a bum on the street.

He has aging players, they're more likely to get injured. Plain & simple.

Hawkeye15
08-26-2009, 07:55 PM
getting Jefferson was the biggest move of the offseason for the simple fact that they don't need to play Ginoboli as much. He can be eased back into shape. The Spurs, on paper, are the best team imo. But games aren't played on paper unfortunately.

NYtilIdie
08-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Spurs beat out the Laker's cause they have a better bench of the two, but Laker's are healthy most of the time.

Injuries shouldn't be a problem for the Spurs though seeing how their a finesse team (except for RJ and Parker) and since they got RJ it will help take the pressure off Manu so he won't be need to do as much this season as in the past where he was basically their go-to guy when Parker and Duncan were resting.

Plus Blair brings toughness to the team and wouldn't mind seeing him arm drag somebody again.

MoBASS
08-26-2009, 08:30 PM

Basketball is a game of matchups, and the Lakers are simply too big and too long for the Spurs. If the Spurs start Jefferson, that means down the stretch Duncan is playing center and MCDYESS will be PF.

Who guards Pau?
Who guards Lamar?
Who guards Bynum?

Sorry buddy but Lakers 4-2 in the WCF.

NYtilIdie
08-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Basketball is a game of matchups, and the Lakers are simply too big and too long for the Spurs. If the Spurs start Jefferson, that means down the stretch Duncan is playing center and MCDYESS will be PF.

Who guards Pau?
Who guards Lamar?
Who guards Bynum?

Sorry buddy but Lakers 4-2 in the WCF.

Actually Bynum will most likely be on the bench in crunch time and Odom will be at the 4.

So Duncan guards Pau who will be playing C and Pau's 7'0 and Duncan's 6'11 so no bad mismatch there.

Mcdyess should be able to guard Odom.

And Jefferson will guard Artest.

Spurs in 7 after Blair arm drags Kobe tearing his shoulder lol jk

bigsams50
08-26-2009, 08:49 PM
I want all of the top teams to remain healthy. Good luck to the Spurs and hope to see them in the Conference Finals.

i agree, if they stay healthy it will be a great year

2_Trill
08-26-2009, 09:54 PM
i hope we see the spurs in the finals.. for a little thing called "Revenge" !!!

ElMarroAfamado
08-26-2009, 10:43 PM
its so comical to me ALL THE HYPE around the Spurs after this off season....
its very funny that alot of people have them in the Conference Finals to begin with...
but its even funnier that some people have them in the NBA FINALS
hahahaaah

cmon now.....and yes ima receive hate for feeling like this but ill gladly bump this if i know how when the Spurs dont do **** next season

b_rad23
08-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Cool.

Ethix11
08-26-2009, 11:23 PM
That is awsome sauce.

#1Mavericksfan
08-26-2009, 11:26 PM
And the Spurs d**kriding continues...........

Ethix11
08-26-2009, 11:32 PM
its so comical to me ALL THE HYPE around the Spurs after this off season....
its very funny that alot of people have them in the Conference Finals to begin with...
but its even funnier that some people have them in the NBA FINALS
hahahaaah

cmon now.....and yes ima receive hate for feeling like this but ill gladly bump this if i know how when the Spurs dont do **** next season

Last year i predicted the Lakers to win it all. This year im going with the Spurs because they match up better against any other team just like the Lakers did. Plus this nucleus has 3 rings and Jefferson has 1. What I find funny is how you dont say WHY they wont do anything next season or even funnier WHY you feel like this. If your going to make a bold statement, back it up. And the Mavericks misfortune continues.... Shawn Marion..lol are you kidding me?

#1Mavericksfan
08-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Last year i predicted the Lakers to win it all. This year im going with the Spurs because they match up better against any other team just like the Lakers did. Plus this nucleus has 3 rings and Jefferson has 1. What I find funny is how you dont say WHY they wont do anything next season or even funnier WHY you feel like this. If your going to make a bold statement, back it up. And the Mavericks misfortune continues.... Shawn Marion..lol are you kidding me?

What team did Jefferson win a ring with?

Fireworld
08-26-2009, 11:52 PM
I call BS.

Diggy_2
08-26-2009, 11:55 PM
i still think the lakers will win it all