PDA

View Full Version : Update on Beasley: Reports BLOWN WAY OUT OF PROPORTION

daleja424
08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Michael Beasley's attendance at a Houston-area rehabilitation center had been scheduled for weeks and is connected to a violation the Miami Heat forward committed during last summer's NBA rookie transition program.

Beasley has been in Houston for at least the past two weeks to work out, attend counseling sessions and undergo clinical treatment to help him cope with stress and substance-abuse issues, multiple sources said Tuesday.

Relatives and associates closest to Beasley, 20, said Tuesday they did not know when he would be able to leave the rehab program.

But two sources with direct knowledge of the situation, including one who has been in contact with Beasley, said the troubled but talented player is expected to be available well before the start of the Heat's training camp Sept. 28, barring any setbacks.

``Everyone say a prayer for our lil brother, but please don't judge the man,'' Wade wrote. ``[We] all make mistakes, beas i'm here if you need anything fam.''

But several spoke on Beasley's behalf, including a league source who claimed reports of Beasley being treated for depression were overblown.

Beasley's estranged father also did several radio and TV interviews Tuesday to defend his son. Michael Beasley Sr. said the birth of Beasley's daughter in May and the pressure to live up to NBA expectations were taxing.

But the elder Beasley also said his son passed recent drug tests and that if there were drugs in the Twitter photo, they did not belong to his son.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/story/1202354.html

Raps18-19 Champ
08-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Isn't everyone bagging on him on the first place because he smoke weed and not because of depression?

cubulls
08-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Lock him up and throw away the key!

lakers4sho
08-26-2009, 02:05 PM
What do you expect his camp to say? That yeah he is severely addicted to weed and has definitely shown signs of being suicidal?

td0tsfinest
08-26-2009, 02:08 PM
the weed thing was fine but the suicidal notes is something to concern about

Ace33Bone
08-26-2009, 02:11 PM
^^^^ That was my main concern those notes were what scared me

daleja424
08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
What do you expect his camp to say? That yeah he is severely addicted to weed and has definitely shown signs of being suicidal?

after three positive tests for weed the NBA suspends a player 5 games... has bealsey been suspended? NO...

If he were severly addicted to weed he would have failed 3 tests by now

More then likely this is what happened...

1) NBA catches Chalmers and Beas with weed and puts them in the drug treatment program
2) Beasley tests positive for a first time during the year and has to enter a treatment facility in the offseason....which is what he did...

pebloemer
08-26-2009, 03:05 PM
after three positive tests for weed the NBA suspends a player 5 games... has bealsey been suspended? NO...

If he were severly addicted to weed he would have failed 3 tests by now

More then likely this is what happened...

1) NBA catches Chalmers and Beas with weed and puts them in the drug treatment program
2) Beasley tests positive for a first time during the year and has to enter a treatment facility in the offseason....which is what he did...

It is so simple for the media to blow a simple story like this out of proportion. I'd agree with this hypothesis for what happened. Maybe it is complicated by feelings of depression (which can come from smoking weed), but that happens far more often than people realize. When they say he is having "psychological problems" people assume the worst - this is why the media is very unreliable. There is always a spin - whatever gets readers to read their paper.

vash9
08-26-2009, 03:06 PM
wait, what?

i mean, i'm not too updated about Beasley. i mean i knew he did the weed and stuff, but suicidal notes? when was this?

Nocioni5
08-26-2009, 03:10 PM
supercoolbeas:D is such a talented player I hope he gets his head straight on his shoulders our else he'll never reach his potential and will just be a waste of talent.

Draco
08-26-2009, 03:22 PM
The media misreported the reason Beasley went into rehab (that it might have had something to do with the twitter posts) and the media might have overblown the concern over depression. You've got the league officially declining comment and an unnamed source suggesting it's overblown. Who really knows...

The league mandates a suspension of at least five games after a third failed drug test. Another set of concerns about Beasley surfaced Friday, when he used his since-deleted Twitter account to post comments that included suicidal references as well as a photograph that revealed what appeared to be two small bags of marijuana on a living room table.

Citing an NBA rule that disallows them to address substance-abuse matters, Heat and NBA officials declined comment.

But several spoke on Beasley's behalf, including a league source who claimed reports of Beasley being treated for depression were overblown.

td0tsfinest
08-26-2009, 03:42 PM
shouldn't mario chalmers be there too? if i remember correctly he was in the room with Beasley when they got caught last year.

MiamiHeat
08-26-2009, 03:48 PM
he didn't fail his drug test

:shrug:

colinskik
08-26-2009, 03:59 PM
This is the biggest non-deal ever. First off, you can't be addicted to weed. Second, the rehab stint is more likely than not a mandatory/image control thing. Kids fine. Relax.