PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Summer Forecast: Worst newcomer

Chronz
08-26-2009, 12:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=OffseasonPredictions09-WorstNewcomer

The skinny

Randolph (12 votes)
Normally, when a 20-and-10 guy joins one of the worst teams in the league, it's a good thing. Not in this case, according to a dozen of our voters. Despite his talent, Z-Bo's questionable character would appear to be detrimental to a young Grizzlies squad. Not to mention that he is one of the biggest black holes in basketball and doesn't play defense.

To make matters worse, the Grizzlies took on the remaining two years and $33 million of his contract. Sure, he could earn the Griz a few more wins with his post play, but so could, uh, Pau Gasol (minus the headaches). Just sayin'.

Artest (6 votes)
The thinking here is easy: Why mess with a good thing? The Lakers just won the championship with Trevor Ariza at small forward. Why replace him with one of the most combustible players in the league?

Yes, Artest is an upgrade over Ariza, but his unpredictability on and off the court might become a huge distraction for the Lakers -- one that could jeopardize their chances of a title repeat.

Wallace (6 votes)
The C's need big things from Sheed to contend for a title; many of our voters don't expect him to deliver. His production has plateaued during the past three seasons, and he continues to make a negative impact with his technicals. Playing alongside KG might help Sheed stay interested, but will Wallace embrace his role off the bench for 82 games?

Ariza (4 votes)
After five seasons and three teams, Ariza finally made his mark during the Lakers' title run last season. But whether it's his career 6.9 ppg or the fact that Houston will have a 7-foot-6, 310-pound hole in the paint next season, some of our voters aren't sold on the five-year, $33 million deal the 24-year-old forward signed with the Rockets this offseason.

O'Neal (4 votes)
Although eight members of our panel think Shaq could help the King win a ring, four feel Cleveland's big Shaquisition will be a big flop. He may be the most talented running mate LeBron has had, but with 1,100-plus games on his knees and without access to the Suns' miracle training staff, the Big Daddy may revert back to the injury-prone ways that haunted him in Miami.

Carter (3 votes)
Adding an eight-time All-Star to an already successful lineup should make the reigning East champs even better. There is a certain amount of risk here, though. Carter will turn 33 in January, and Orlando will owe him $33 million in salary the next two years. Plus, some say Carter brings potential chemistry issues and could have a negative effect on Orlando's vaunted defense.

Turkoglu (3 votes)
Turkoglu had some big playoff moments in 2009 -- the Kobe block, double-doubles against Cleveland and Boston and daggers in Philly. But the Raptors gave $53 million to a guy who has never made an All-Star team and probably never will. He's a good piece, but remember, elite teams such as San Antonio and Orlando let him walk. There must be a reason, no?

Seems some of the ESPN reporters are divided on some of these selections considering a few of them made the best newcomer. Its going to be a hit or miss kind of year, well I guess it is every year.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-26-2009, 12:39 PM
I actually think Randolph will stop his nonsense in Grizzlies.

op12
08-26-2009, 01:15 PM
artest will be great or terrible, not middle ground there. i think he will stay in check because of the title shot. sheed will be fine with kg around. vc will be a big boost for orlando. i say turk and ariza make small impacts.

Ace33Bone
08-26-2009, 02:30 PM
^^^^ About the artest situation I agree 100% he is either going to be the best thing that has happened to him or it will be a complete debacle... But I still think all of these moves are good moves for each team... besides for Ariza to houston because I do not feel that he will bring anything new to the table

JordansBulls
08-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Artest says he wants to win, but I don't know. He was on that Pacers team that probably could have won it all in 2005 then he went bezerk. I actually think he went to LA to make movies.

smith&wesson
08-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Artest is a huge pick up,
if phil jackson can get rodman to behave. he can get ron ron to behave.
plus artest was huge in the playoffs this year, how does LA get worst by having the same team basically AND adding artest. SURE they lost ariza, but the core group of kobe, gasol, and odem are still there.

its a sure thing, artest makes the lakers better. and he obviously knows he isnt the key main go to guy. he is going there to win. artest is a better pick up for LA the jefreson is for the spurs. book it.

td0tsfinest
08-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Artest says he wants to win, but I don't know. He was on that Pacers team that probably could have won it all in 2005 then he went bezerk. I actually think he went to LA to make movies.

or join a gang

Artest project is going to be grand slam or blow up in the lakers face. it really would be fun to watch a debacle between kobe and artest

ctitus45
08-26-2009, 03:59 PM
The Artest pickup is the only pickup of the season that no one will really realize what he does for his team until during the season or until the playoffs. This will either e a huge fail...an incredible success...or a non factor. If the Lakers dont win it all again, this is the biggest fail in recent NBA History memory. They keep their Title team and add a top 30 player in the NBA...if they don't win it all, as they like to say here one the PSD...EPIC FAIL.

king4day
08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
The Artest pickup is the only pickup of the season that no one will really realize what he does for his team until during the season or until the playoffs. This will either e a huge fail...an incredible success...or a non factor. If the Lakers dont win it all again, this is the biggest fail in recent NBA History memory. They keep their Title team and add a top 30 player in the NBA...if they don't win it all, as they like to say here one the PSD...EPIC FAIL.

I wouldn't say EPIC. Their bench still leaves something to be desired and their PG is another year older.
Artest will behave. He did in Houston and will in LA.
The only thing I could see causing issues is if the team has trouble with chemistry on the floor. If LA is losing games, he might revert to a bad teammate.

bigsams50
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
artest is a big pickup, and i think he will behave, i think shaq is the worst one, he's gonna be cloggin the kings hole.

Lakersfan2483
08-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Artest is a great pickup and an upgrade, whether he fits in or not remains to be seen, but LA has strong leadership in Phil, Kobe and D. Fish and so he has no choice but to buy in. Personally, I believe he will fit in just fine and will be a welcome addition to the team. His defense will be a welcome addition to the team, we need a strong, physical defender on the perimeter.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-26-2009, 04:46 PM
I think Artest behaves but they might get pissed at him because he takes like 10 pull up or fad away 3's every game.

Lakersfan2483
08-26-2009, 04:47 PM
The worse pickup is the Zach Randolph acquisition.

SteveNash
08-26-2009, 04:56 PM

He clearly moved to LA so he could sell more than 343 copies of his next album.

ARMIN12NBA
08-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Artest (6 votes)
The thinking here is easy: Why mess with a good thing? The Lakers just won the championship with Trevor Ariza at small forward. Why replace him with one of the most combustible players in the league?

Yes, Artest is an upgrade over Ariza, but his unpredictability on and off the court might become a huge distraction for the Lakers -- one that could jeopardize their chances of a title repeat.

Why? Because Ariza's agent demanded 10 mill a year and the Lakers said no...The agent thought they were bluffing, but they were just like screw this guy, we got a perfectly damn good Plan B.

ARMIN12NBA
08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
BTW--People should realize that Mitch has already discussed Artest's role on the team, both offensively and defensively. Artest WANTED to come to LA. He took a pay-cut to come to LA. He wants to be here. He wasn't forced by trade or contract. He decided to come here and agreed to what Mitch and the organization wanted out of him...

and that is defense. All he has talked about is defense. In fact, he talked about taking a lot less shots and just completely shutting down opponents. His goal is to not let a single opponent score over 15 points on a good shooting%. If he does what he says and wants to do, then he is a perfect acquisition.

NYtilIdie
08-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Artest always says he will behave now im not saying he will turn into Pacers Artest, but he causes trouble everywhere he goes (T-Mac last year).

Basically everything Artest says goes in one ear and out the other now. He has to prove to people he has truly changed.

Actions speck louder, then words.

Like I said before expect either Pau or Bynums stats to drop next season.