PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Bill Simmons?

Global Celtic
08-24-2009, 05:57 PM
The most entertaining sports writer I've ever read.

I mean, the guy's a very talented writer that can be funny AND truly understands american sports. I even print some of his old stuff (like the Doc Rivers bashing) to read (and laugh about it) while I'm on the bus.

Whaddya think of him?

Hawkeye15
08-24-2009, 06:09 PM
the dude is hilarious. Good player evaluator as far as basketball, but his Boston bias gets annoying

blastmasta26
08-24-2009, 06:11 PM
the dude is hilarious. Good player evaluator as far as basketball, but his Boston bias gets annoying
Yeah, I would agree with that.

lakers4sho
08-24-2009, 06:16 PM
I think his articles are really funny and entertaining.

blackjack_119
08-24-2009, 06:19 PM

Agreed.

FlawlessKB24
08-24-2009, 06:57 PM
he's a clown

Wake's Fastball
08-24-2009, 07:58 PM

It's tempered a bit by the fact that he willingly admits it, though, as opposed to the majority of sports writers.

Chronz
08-24-2009, 08:59 PM
What Boston bias?

Sportfan
08-24-2009, 09:01 PM
I love BS, of course part of it is being a boston teams fan

NYY NYJ NYK
08-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Good player evaluator as far as basketball, but his Boston bias gets annoying

Agree

Punkindrublic03
08-24-2009, 09:18 PM
i wish the clippers hired him to be their GM. He wants that job so bad.

Don Starks
08-24-2009, 09:27 PM
i have just started reading him, as well as listening to his podcast "the BS report". great stuff, he is a really funny guy. i can see the boston bias getting annoying, but on the podcast he has this great bit where his friend jacko (a yankee fan) and simmons just talk about the rivalry and its never to serious, more just needling. the guy respects talent and isn't full of himself, which is all you can ask of a good sports writer.

NYK|NYY
08-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Always have read his columns, hes fantastic. Also look forward to his podcast every week or so.

D Roses Bulls
08-24-2009, 09:39 PM
honestly i can not think of one espn writer i like or commentator. i think they all suck and most have this east coast bias thing especially bill simmons. WE ALREADY KNOW YOU LOVE THE CELTICS, DONT PUT IT IN EVERY DAMN ARTICLE.

BHBrad
08-24-2009, 09:39 PM
He's absolutely hillarious, but I do get tired of the Boston bias, specifically when concerning the Patriots

DerekRE_3
08-24-2009, 10:02 PM
I love Bill Simmons, especially since he is one of the few sports writers that recognizes Raymond Felton's talent.

dimedrpr
08-24-2009, 10:20 PM
He's a clown and I'm a BoSox fan.

Lone Maverick
08-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Not a real big fan. I think of him and I think of one of his podcasts with Bucher and Stein and Simmons came off like a completely moronic tool. May have just been banter for the show but Bucher and Stein were speechless more than you show be on a podcast.

ctitus45
08-24-2009, 11:03 PM
He's entertaining, he doesn't take himself to serious and he has a good sense of humor. He does a good job whens speaking about the NBA. His Boston bias does get annoying, but like someone said earlier (sorry for not quoting you) he admits it. I think he is a very talented write overall, not just sports. If you haven't read his article about the passing of his dog "The Dooze" you should go check it out. Right after reading it I went out back and threw the ball with my own dog. It's a touching article and it really showed he has a lot more range than just sports and pop culture.

NYYCowboys
08-24-2009, 11:15 PM
I like him his pop culture references are funny. Only complaint like everyone is saying is his bias towards the Boston teams.

Hellcrooner
08-24-2009, 11:55 PM
He is absolutley annoying the typil whits stiff posh dude form posh city and he is biased as hell about boston and against L.A

That said he is fun to read , sarcastica and is not like the stupid Hollongr that tires to hide his Anti L.A Bias behind numbers that he works up just to make look other teams or the stupid Fat Lever that i gues couldnt get over Lakers killing his nuggets first and mavs then cahcnes at anything when he was a player.

Its fun and he laughs about his own bias thats always go0d.

theuuord
08-24-2009, 11:56 PM
i think he's great. i always enjoy his mailbags and draft blogs.

as for Boston bias, at least he's open and honest about it. It's not like he's hiding it or pretending that he's impartial. he's a fan first, like all of us. I don't have any problem with it.

theuuord
08-24-2009, 11:57 PM
He is absolutley annoying the typil whits stiff posh dude form posh city and he is biased as hell about boston and against L.A

That said he is fun to read , sarcastica and is not like the stupid Hollongr that tires to hide his Anti L.A Bias behind numbers that he works up just to make look other teams or the stupid Fat Lever that i gues couldnt get over Lakers killing his nuggets first and mavs then cahcnes at anything when he was a player.

Its fun and he laughs about his own bias thats always go0d.

Hollinger picked the Lakers to win the finals from day one...

Edit: My mistake. He picked Cavs over Lakers in 7. Once we got to the actual Finals though he predicted the Lakers to beat the Magic easily.

JimmyMal450
08-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Bill Simmons is hilarious. Of course he has his Boston bias, but as a Boston fan thats what makes me love his articles so much.

ARMIN12NBA
08-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Simmons is very funny and entertaining, but he was much better when the Lakers and Celtics were down. Ever since the Lakers and Celtics have been back on top, his bias is even worse and much more appalling.

wileyisTOFU
08-25-2009, 12:33 AM
hes the best. dont mind the sports bias myself. The Jack-o podcasts are great to.

LA_Raiders
08-25-2009, 01:12 AM
BSPN sucks... Too much Bias....

SeoulBeatz
08-25-2009, 01:57 AM
hes hit or miss for me.

his voice is really irritating too. sounds kinda gay.

jakesmail123
08-25-2009, 02:01 AM
good reads

Global Celtic
08-26-2009, 09:48 AM
He's entertaining, he doesn't take himself to serious and he has a good sense of humor. He does a good job whens speaking about the NBA. His Boston bias does get annoying, but like someone said earlier (sorry for not quoting you) he admits it. I think he is a very talented write overall, not just sports. If you haven't read his article about the passing of his dog "The Dooze" you should go check it out. Right after reading it I went out back and threw the ball with my own dog. It's a touching article and it really showed he has a lot more range than just sports and pop culture.

I loved that article about his dog. He sometimes gives insights on his own personal life (like his wife comments or something) and it's always good read.

I really think this guys is unique right now. Take that awesome "Ugly side of Ubuntu" article (just google it). He creates an entire dialogue of Doc Rivers with his players and Tom Thibodeau and exposes Rivers' weaknesses. That article was a piece of talent, creativity and hoops knowledge.

That's why he keeps getting serious money from ESPN to write semi-serious stuff (mainly).

PS: His Boston bias is an integral part of his style. It's not an attack.

twoearl
08-26-2009, 11:54 AM
He's ok. He does A TON of second guessing though of NBA coaches. Everybody is smart after the game is over.

asmarks18
08-26-2009, 12:04 PM
He's a douche. Funny guy but everytime I read his stuff and listen to his podcast he just seems like he knows very little about Sports unless the topic is about a Boston team.

magichatnumber9
08-26-2009, 12:26 PM
I have to say my favorite piece he has ever done is the one he wrote about his dad. He always puts his dad in his pieces and it was nice to learn more about him and the incredible influence he has on Bill. I also have a very similar relationship with my own father so the piece hit close to home.

xHTOWN713x
08-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Can't read his ****. He carries some arrogance IMO, talks in 3rd person, and that little story about his dog? Wtf? I could give 2 shitts about his personal life. Not a fan, I quit reading his crap months ago.

shinjirod
08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
I hate most of the teams he likes. That's what makes him so much fun to read. Hes really smart, makes excellent points, doesn´t hide his bias, hes an awesome pen, and when you hate the teams he likes, it's feels like your'e having a great argument with a good friend. Making you feel that way is extremelly hard. He's awesome.

Draco
08-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Not a fan..

Some of his articles are a collection of random points that are brought together by some stupid theme.. like movie quotes. In those articles, I think he offers some interesting observations that are usually lost between the observations I don't agree with and the humor (and arrogance.. or whether that's part of the humor, who knows) that I don't care for.

The articles in which a single topic is discussed.. (such as the one about Steve Nash not deserving his two MVPS) I think those are poorly supported and poorly reasoned.

After reading a sample of his work.. I now just avoid it all together.. or in rare instances I'll skim through one of his 2 or 3 page articles to look for that one good point he might make.

Ansy
08-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Good writer, terrible sports analyst.

Global Celtic
08-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Why can't we have this kind of guy on TV? We have to watch Stephen A. Smith/Dick Vitale/Andy Katz, year after year... Not fair.

marques724
08-28-2009, 06:10 PM