PDA

View Full Version : why aren't we signing another scorer?

friarfan07
08-24-2009, 02:57 PM
i don't get it. it isn't that they aren't available, and it certainly isn't that we don't have enough cap space. so, why aren't we aggressively pursuing another 2nd line scoring option?

just to throw a few names out there: mats sundin, mike comrie, dany heatley, phil kessel

you can't tell me adding one or more of those players to our scoring lines wouldn't help out the team tremendously.

Freekshow187187
08-24-2009, 03:36 PM
they wanna start bringing up some of the young players and give them a shot and to get heatley or kessel we be losing more to get one of them then we would get out of production from them. mats sundin is too old and lou wants to start a youth movement.

friarfan07
08-24-2009, 03:57 PM
^ i guess, but it's not like we're in rebuilding mode. we did just win the division last year. that's a sign of a good team that needs a bit more talent. i'm not gonna argue with lou, but i will argue that we lost talent (mostly offensive) this offseason. am i alone in thinking we could use (need?) another scorer?

i was all about the D. but we still need O, and decent offensive players seem to be more attainable this offseason than decent d-men. thoughts?

deke173
08-24-2009, 06:33 PM
I heard a rumor the devils were still in the mix in attaining Marleau from San Jose.

Prospal to NYR-DONE... Marleau to NJ (e3), Buff (e2), Mont (e3)
August 16, 2009, 10:45 AM ET [76 Comments]

Eklund
The Anonymous Hockey Blogger • RSS • Archive • CONTACT • Bio

NJDEVS24
08-24-2009, 08:19 PM
I heard a rumor the devils were still in the mix in attaining Marleau from San Jose.

Prospal to NYR-DONE... Marleau to NJ (e3), Buff (e2), Mont (e3)
August 16, 2009, 10:45 AM ET [76 Comments]

Eklund
The Anonymous Hockey Blogger RSS Archive CONTACT Bio

Yeah i already saw that one, i don't think it's happening. I heard something about martin skoula to NJ but we don't need another defensemen. Our best bet is comrie, he is only 28, he would come cheap after a down year, and i think he can still score atleast 20 goals per year, i'll even take 15 from him, but he is still very talented and young.

Jersey Mike
08-24-2009, 11:51 PM
I don't know...things are very quiet in newark...I don't like it at all...I have been asking for a goal scorer as well...I think that the shanny pick up was ok, but we could have filled the fourth line with youth and picked up a first and second line guy...again, I don't care who, but we need somebody...If we were rebuilding with a coach like haviland, then I would say let's go youth across the board like the blackhawks did...however, we aren't...we hired an old coach and got rid of a lot of veterans...don't know what to expect, but I am keeping my fingers crossed...

NjDevilsFan
08-25-2009, 01:06 AM
As much as I would like someone like Marleau to pop in 30 something maybe more for us a year that site is total bull. Some proof there for you. I want another scorer too but hockeybuzz is not worth the false hope.

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/

http://www.geocities.com/crazy_weatherman/randoms/rumourgen.htm

Freekshow187187
08-25-2009, 02:47 PM
yea that site is horrible. he just throws names and teams around and hopes something is right its ridiculous. i do think we need a another scorer but their going to throw bergfors (sorry suck at spelling) on the 2nd line and finally give him a chance and hopfully hes good but lou wants go on a youth movement and lemaire is a great teacher so we'll see but i dont disagree with you we could use a good 1st or 2nd line player .

friarfan07
08-25-2009, 02:48 PM
i'd love to have skoula, but even i (very defensive-minded) think it would be in our best interest to address our 1st and 2nd forward lines, assuming we can't do both.

comrie would be the biggest upside since he's young and would be cheap. we just need someone with a knack for the net like gionta had. and it would be nice if they were physical to match lemaire's system as well, but for now, i'd settle for a 20 goal/year kinda guy to replace gionta (comrie would be that guy IMO).

NjDevilsFan
08-26-2009, 01:49 PM
^ i guess, but it's not like we're in rebuilding mode. we did just win the division last year. that's a sign of a good team that needs a bit more talent. i'm not gonna argue with lou, but i will argue that we lost talent (mostly offensive) this offseason. am i alone in thinking we could use (need?) another scorer?

i was all about the D. but we still need O, and decent offensive players seem to be more attainable this offseason than decent d-men. thoughts?

We're not in rebuilding mode per say because we're not tanking it but we're in a youth movement thats for sure.

friarfan07
08-26-2009, 03:19 PM
^ of sorts, yeah, i'd agree.

but it isn't like we just took a dump last year and need to shed salary left and right like my beloved padres just did for the 6th time in the past 20 years, lol.

i'd like to give the youth a chance, but i'd also like to supplement it with proven talent a little better.

just from our offseason incoming/outcoming players, it's clear we lost a lot more than we gained offensively, and offense was a problem down the stretch for this team last year as it is.

just one guy to score some goals, and the youth can still get plenty of ice time.

NjDevilsFan
08-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Lmao the Padres thing was hilarious stand tough man I'm a Jets fan its not easy lol the Devils are what keeps me going through the winter. But I know exactly what you mean it would be really great to add one but I don't think its gonna happen. I guess they think Shanny was the last piece of the puzzle but I don't think we have a couple of talented guys coming through, personally I like Matt Halishuck but maybe he's got big plans for all this cap room at the trade deadline? Phil Kessel?

icehockeyben
08-29-2009, 06:05 PM
ok if boston is forced to release kessel, the devils MUST sign him. hed go great with the youth movement as he is only 21 years old and i think still hasnt reached his full potential, hed be an even better player than gionta for the devils. i think he is worth the 5 mill it would cost and the devils have the cap to do it.

NjDevilsFan
08-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Boston won't be forced too release him they'll move him by the time he's ready to play that or clear cap space.

cynomatic
08-30-2009, 11:29 AM
I could see Mike Comire going to NJ on a cheep deal

NjDevilsFan
08-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Speaking of Kessel the Boston Globe reported today that they have tried varying the lengths of the deal but they can't get Kessel to sign, hopefully the Devs do it, or at least try.