PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs: #4 San Antonio Spurs vs #5 Portland Trailblazers

BlondeBomber41
08-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Every offseason some of us on PSD do a mock offseason where we simulate an offseason by doing mock free agency and trades. Below are the rosters of two teams after the game, please look at both rosters and give your honest opinion on who you believe would win.

Remember, these votes have nothing to do with your real team so there is no reason to be a homer.

San Antonio Spurs Lineup:

PG: Chauncey Billups/ Antonio Daniels
SG: Delonte West/ Bonzi Wells
SF: Shane Battier/Andres Nocioni
PF: Elton Brand/ Luis Scola
C: Tim Duncan/ Antonio McDyess/ Desgana Diop

Portland Trailblazers Lineup:

Rodney Stuckey/Steve Blake/Chucky Atkins
Brandon Roy/Bruce Bowen/Trenton Hassell
Tayshaun Prince/James Posey/Devin Brown
LaMarcus Aldridge/Brandon Bass/Channing Frye
Andris Biedrins/Joel Przybilla

San Antonio Spurs Series Writeup:

We have tried to build the Spurs team into a team like the real-life Spurs teams when they were winning rings, by the philosophy that defense wins championships. Besides the great defense this team has, they also have championship experience, and vet experience.

I am going to compare the starters against eachother.

Chauncey Billups vs Rodney Stuckey: This is a no brainer. Billups is much better then Stuckey at this point in their careers. Yes I know Stuckey can score, and can put up some numbers, but we are banking on his limited playoff experience + the great defense of Chauncey Billups to limit him. On the other hand, Stuckey isnt a known defender and we feel that Billups will have his way with him.

Shane Battier vs Brandon Roy: We have Delonte as our starting SG, but we will be having Shane Battier guarding Roy. Roy is one of the best SG's in the NBA, but Battier is arguably the best 1 on 1 perimeter defender in the NBA. Sure Roy won't be stopped, but Battier will make his life a living hell and make Roy work for everything. I believe Battier's defense on Roy will be good enough to atleast limit him to under his season averages.

Delonte West vs Tayshaun Prince: Personally I think this is a wash. We are having West on Prince because we aren't as worried about Prince dominated a series the way Roy is capable of. Delonte is a good defender as well, so we don't expect Prince to score a whole lot. Even if Prince posts up, we would double with Duncan off Biedrins since he isnt a perimeter threat. On the other hand Prince has shown that he has trouble guarding smaller quicker players, and we think that West would hold his own just fine against Prince.

Elton Brand vs Lamarcus Aldridge: This would be a good matchup to watch. We feel Brand has the advantage since he is a better overall scorer then Aldridge, and also a better defender. Overall we just feel Brand is the better overall player in pretty much ever facet of the game, except shooting jumpers.

Tim Duncan vs Andres Biedrins: No question about who wins this matchup. Duncan is superior to Biedrins in every aspect of the game. Biedrins would need help guarding him downlow because he isn't strong enough. Also if a team doubles Duncan, our outside shooters will make them pay since they are all excellent 3 point shooters.

Bench: I think the benches are pretty close, but we feel we have the advantage. We have 3 players off our bench who started for teams last year (Nocioni/Scola/McDyess) and a solid PG who knows his role in Antonio Daniels who won't be playing a whole lot since he has Chauncey in front of him. Then there is Bonzi Wells who will give us a much needed scoring presence with the bench. We also have Desagna Diop as insurance in case Scola or McDyess get into early foul trouble.

Overall with our great defense and potent offensive lineup, we feel we are the better team and will win the series.

Portland Trailblazers Series Writeup:

Where Portland lacked some serious veteran leadership in the playoffs this year, we’ve tried to upload on experience as well as some much needed upgrades. We feel we have a perfect combo of youth and experience to make it hard for any team that’s thrown at us.

Rodney Stuckey vs. Chauncey Billups: Billups is clearly more experienced and a better floor leader. However Stuckey is a quick, big guard who can defend pretty well. Billups won’t have an advantage on him as he has on other smaller guards. On the other end Stuckey is definantly quicker and should be able to blow by Billups for some easy baskets. To add to that, he’s not one of our main scorers so he doesn’t have to put up big numbers to be useful for us.

Brandon Roy vs. Delonte West: There is no way in hell that West is able to contain him in any way. Roy is a clear cut star and will have a field day on him. Even if they throw Battier at Roy he won’t be able to contain him as proved in the Rockets series this year. Also that would create a monstrous mismatch at the SF position. We take this matchup by a loooong shot.

Tayshaun Prince vs. Shane Battier: If this would be the matchup, it’d be very interesting. Prince is clearly better on the offensive end while Battier is not much more then a shooter. Defensively Battier probably has the edge. But Prince would have no problem at all defending Battier. If like the spurs mentioned in their writeup they put West on Prince that would create a HUGE mismatch for us and Prince will definantly be able to take advantage of that. So I can say we’d definantly take this matchup.

Lamarcus Aldridge vs. Elton Brand: Seeing Aldridge now has 3 years of experience under his belt and was playing very well at the end of this year. Matching him up with a slow, injury-prone horrible defender like Brand will undoubtly help our scoring. Also Brand won’t be able to stop Aldridge from running the break by any means. Brand also has a reputation for being on losing teams. In past years he has only made his teams worse or was injured all the time. The youthy, healthy Aldridge will take this one.

Andris Biedrins vs. Tim Duncan: While I think Duncan has the edge here, Biedrins is up there too and has a lot of room to improve. Again, Duncan is an old vet who’s age is starting to take it’s toll. Biedrins just keeps improving, he’s a great rebounder and solid defender. He won’t be able to entirely shut down Duncan but he’ll definantly make it very hard for him.

Bench: Both benches are filled with talent, however Posey is a proven top notch defender who is clutch too. He brings a lot of experience off the bench. Add to that Steve Blake and Joel Przybilla who both started for a 54-win team last year. And Brandon Bass who is one of the best backups at his position. This bench has scoring, defence, rebounding and lots of experience. McDyess/Scola is worse then Przybilla/Bass so our frontcourt depth definantly better. And personally I would for sure take Blake/Bowen/Posey over Daniels/Wells/Nocioni. They lack any kind of defence on their bench.

phlp_bj
08-24-2009, 12:33 PM
spurs. i like their veteran lineup come playoff time.

jimbobjarree
08-24-2009, 12:36 PM
vetty spurs, props to a mopp though, did a great job

Saint Brian
08-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Spurs. I love that front court. Add Billups and I think they're the best Western Conf. team.

BlondeBomber41
08-24-2009, 01:03 PM
I wont vote on this one, dont wanna look like I am trying to impact who I play next round. Great job by both GM's though.

Tblaze
08-24-2009, 02:00 PM
The Portland writeup should be included sometime soon!

until then it's over here:

Where Portland lacked some serious veteran leadership in the playoffs this year, we’ve tried to upload on experience as well as some much needed upgrades. We feel we have a perfect combo of youth and experience to make it hard for any team that’s thrown at us.

Rodney Stuckey vs. Chauncey Billups: Billups is clearly more experienced and a better floor leader. However Stuckey is a quick, big guard who can defend pretty well. Billups won’t have an advantage on him as he has on other smaller guards. On the other end Stuckey is definantly quicker and should be able to blow by Billups for some easy baskets. To add to that, he’s not one of our main scorers so he doesn’t have to put up big numbers to be useful for us.

Brandon Roy vs. Delonte West: There is no way in hell that West is able to contain him in any way. Roy is a clear cut star and will have a field day on him. Even if they throw Battier at Roy he won’t be able to contain him as proved in the Rockets series this year. Also that would create a monstrous mismatch at the SF position. We take this matchup by a loooong shot.

Tayshaun Prince vs. Shane Battier: If this would be the matchup, it’d be very interesting. Prince is clearly better on the offensive end while Battier is not much more then a shooter. Defensively Battier probably has the edge. But Prince would have no problem at all defending Battier. If like the spurs mentioned in their writeup they put West on Prince that would create a HUGE mismatch for us and Prince will definantly be able to take advantage of that. So I can say we’d definantly take this matchup.

Lamarcus Aldridge vs. Elton Brand: Seeing Aldridge now has 3 years of experience under his belt and was playing very well at the end of this year. Matching him up with a slow, injury-prone horrible defender like Brand will undoubtly help our scoring. Also Brand won’t be able to stop Aldridge from running the break by any means. Brand also has a reputation for being on losing teams. In past years he has only made his teams worse or was injured all the time. The youthy, healthy Aldridge will take this one.

Andris Biedrins vs. Tim Duncan: While I think Duncan has the edge here, Biedrins is up there too and has a lot of room to improve. Again, Duncan is an old vet who’s age is starting to take it’s toll. Biedrins just keeps improving, he’s a great rebounder and solid defender. He won’t be able to entirely shut down Duncan but he’ll definantly make it very hard for him.

Bench: Both benches are filled with talent, however Posey is a proven top notch defender who is clutch too. He brings a lot of experience off the bench. Add to that Steve Blake and Joel Przybilla who both started for a 54-win team last year. And Brandon Bass who is one of the best backups at his position. This bench has scoring, defence, rebounding and lots of experience. McDyess/Scola is worse then Przybilla/Bass so our frontcourt depth definantly better. And personally I would for sure take Blake/Bowen/Posey over Daniels/Wells/Nocioni. They lack any kind of defence on their bench.

celticfan
08-24-2009, 04:25 PM
one word: experience

BRICKCITYPIMP12
08-24-2009, 05:38 PM
spurs got this.

Durant is hype
08-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Spurs,great team yo!

mitch91
08-24-2009, 07:38 PM
spurs, also if people were judging these things properly and not just on names i think the spurs could go all the way

their team could be sooooo damn good defensively and could stop virtually anybody and they are so savy aswell

jimbobjarree
08-24-2009, 07:39 PM
agreed, which is why i voted them a higher seed than they are

Nets fan 93
08-24-2009, 07:40 PM
front court is wayyy to deep for the Blazers

JordansBulls
08-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Spurs

FC_4_life
08-24-2009, 09:04 PM
This is very close, but I give the slight edge to the Blazers because they have Prince who can shut down Melo, a major advantage in Roy over West, and quicker and younger guys down low. Granted, the 1-2 punch of Billups-Duncan is :drool: but I like the depth and mix of youth and veterans the Blazers bring.

dre1990
08-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Spurs in 5

Joshtd1
08-24-2009, 11:42 PM
This is very close, but I give the slight edge to the Blazers because they have Prince who can shut down Melo, a major advantage in Roy over West, and quicker and younger guys down low. Granted, the 1-2 punch of Billups-Duncan is :drool: but I like the depth and mix of youth and veterans the Blazers bring.

Melo?? We dont have Melo...