PDA

View Full Version : Might Cleveland trade Ilgauskas? (pure speculation)

DenButsu
08-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Just to be clear, this is not news, or even a rumor. It's just the POV of Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plains Dealer. Still, he makes a pretty good case for speculating on this possibility, imho, and if a pre-season or pre-deadline Big Z trade did go down for the Cavs, it would mean a pretty damn significant change to a championship contender.

Hey, Brian: How valuable would Zydrunas Ilgauskas' expiring contract be at the deadline since he is slotted to make $11.5 million or so? Is that an option the Cavs would consider if the right opportunity presented itself and who might we be able to acquire in such a deal?

I know everyone loves Z and wants to see him win a championship here and retire a Cavalier, but I think everyone would sacrifice that in order to keep LeBron. Plus Z seems like he loves Cleveland and would probably re-sign after the 2010 season. -- Nick Tricarichi, Solon

Hey, Nick: You have just hit on what I think will be the biggest off-court story between now and February. Ilgauskas' contract is a massive trade chip because of how many teams will be looking to dump salary for next summer. The Cavs will not have a great deal of cap room, so using that expiring contract could be the last swing at making a major addition for a while. For that reason, Danny Ferry would be compelled to consider it despite his personal relationship with Ilgauskas.

Obviously, Z is an integral part of the team and has been for the last 10 years and no one is sure how Shaquille O'Neal will mesh with LeBron or hold up during the season. So it would have to be a home run deal.

Of course there is always the option that Ilgauskas could be traded, bought out and re-signed, but I don't think that should ever be assumed as many people who have e-mailed me about this topic have done over the last several months. In short, it very well could become a complex and emotional decision six months from now.cleveland.com (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/08/hey_brian_brian_windhorst_answ_26.html)

jacquewho?
08-24-2009, 10:55 AM
It's a very attractive expiring at 11M. However, wouldn't they keep it so it could help their chances of re-signing LeBron? They need to use all the money they can get, so I would assume that they keep him to help that cause. Their salary cap will be about 40M next year if they choose to keep the roster the same as it is. So I think keeping Z's contract would be the right thing to do if they want to keep LeBron (unless they can trade it for a larger expiring).

J-Relo
08-24-2009, 10:58 AM
why they shouldn't keep that expiring? so i think if after this year Big Z won't retire he will stick with Cavs one or two more years for minimum...

lakers4sho
08-24-2009, 11:03 AM
why they shouldn't keep that expiring? so i think if after this year Big Z won't retire he will stick with Cavs one or two more years for minimum...

They would still be over the cap even with Big Z's contract coming off the books.

jimbobjarree
08-24-2009, 11:18 AM
trade AK for him, and let him re-sign there in 2010!

Chronz
08-24-2009, 02:28 PM
For what though? Best case scenario the Bucks do horrible but Redd proves hes healthy, they trade for him, the Bucks have no use for Big Z so they waive him and hes go back to Cleveland. What other team would be looking to dump salary that could be of use to the Cavs? The Kings perhaps(Kev-Martin)

theyve done a good job building the team though, there arent many weaknesses left to fill, but they could use a 4-stretcher that can defend or another sniper who can create.

DerekRE_3
08-24-2009, 02:58 PM
For what though? Best case scenario the Bucks do horrible but Redd proves hes healthy, they trade for him, the Bucks have no use for Big Z so they waive him and hes go back to Cleveland. What other team would be looking to dump salary that could be of use to the Cavs? The Kings perhaps(Kev-Martin)

I could see a similar situation playing out for theyve done a good job building the team though, there arent many weaknesses left to fill, but they could use a 4-stretcher that can defend or another sniper who can create.

I highly doubt the Kings would trade Kevin Martin as a salary dump.

LA_Raiders
08-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I believe Z is the most expensive back up in the league... They wont trade him, because Shaq wont last long...

WITZ
08-24-2009, 03:36 PM
I can see them trading him if anything good comes up, not playing it out how they did with wally.

MTar786
08-24-2009, 03:38 PM
they should keep him till jan or just the deadline. and in the time that he's still with cleveland he can play a lot of mins to keep shaq healthy. by feb shaq should be able to go at full speed to make a championship run. (this also gives the cavs time to see if shaq works in their system) by then they can trade big z, maybe a young guy or some trash and a 1st pick to the bucks for redd. hopefully the bucks waive him and Z goes back to the cavs for the minimum

I can see this all happening. And i ONLY see the cavs being a contender if they get another player who's in the same league as redd. this team WILL NOT win a title. redd would put them in the same tier as boston la and orlando.
plus i see him playing REALLY well gettin open 3's when shaq gets doubled in the post and kicks it out.

i hope this doesnt happen tho lol

Chronz
08-24-2009, 04:52 PM
I highly doubt the Kings would trade Kevin Martin as a salary dump.
I dont see why not

LakePackYank
08-24-2009, 05:12 PM
maybe they could get a really good player in return for Z's expiring. Hey lakers got pau for kwame's expiring lol.

mark1125
08-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Rip Hamilton could be had and would be a great addition for the Cavs.

PBG
08-24-2009, 06:05 PM

:puke: we need a center and all but, ewwww

MTar786
08-24-2009, 06:12 PM

would be even better than adding redd

vash9
08-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Why would they want to trade him? Sure he's getting a tad old, expiring, but he'd be good off the bench behind Shaq.