PDA

View Full Version : who's going to be the best pickup for a contending team?

MTar786
08-23-2009, 07:24 PM
which team will recieve the biggest impact (in a good way) from the new major players they've picked up? this doesnt count the role players like jason williams, matt barnes, antonio mcdyess or tim thomas

basically i wanna know who's gonna impiact their team the most in a positive way that will help lead them to a championship

jsumadchat
08-23-2009, 07:33 PM
VC.... hes still a sniper. game-ending ability, great courtvision, great passing. his game is going to complement that magic team IMMENSELY

mikantsass
08-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Shaq Daddy

MTar786
08-23-2009, 07:38 PM
i chose ron artest because i feel that with the help of phil and kobe and fisher he'll stay in check. ron hasnt had any good teams to play to his full potential with in recent history. but when he did in indiani he was an early mvp candidate early in the season. he plays well when he's ur number 1 defensive option and he's ur third scoring option. with age in LA he may be their 3rd or 4th scoring option depending on the way things work out with bynum. he may be older but he is still a great defensive player, a lot wiser and his heart is in every game.

now here are reasons i didnt choose any of the others.
rasheed wallace is also really good still IMO. but his role witht the team isnt as big as artests is with the lakers. he's not gonna be their 1st or second scorig or defensive option. he's only gonna be there to deepen their bench and give some relief to KG to keep him from injury. but as much as an upgrade artest is to ariza.. he's the same to leon powe.

i didnt pick shaq because i feel he's going to take away from cleveland as much as he brings. i do see lebron and shaq working well together but i also see him taking a lot of production away from big z. I also feel that even if shaq gives cleveland 20 and 10 throughout the season they still wont be good enough to compete with boston, LA and orlando. they are deep but not as deep as the other 3.. not even as deep as san antonio.

i didnt choose vince because he is coming to a team who's changed a lot. orlando unlike boston and LA are bringing a team much different to their 08-09 team. strategically theyre a really different team now. not the inside outside team that caused lots of mismatches last year. by bringing lewis to the three and using bass (a more true PF) at the 4. they are now a traditional team. So its hard to even say theyll be as good as last year. I personally think so.. but im less sure of them as i am with LA and boston who are bringing back their teams just with upgrades. same goes for the cavs.. they are a different team now.. not as different as orlando has become tho. BUT if vince plays like his former self and orlando plays better than last season with their change of strategy then i see Orlando as the scariest team of all

i didnt pick RJ just because i feel he isnt as good as shaq, carter, rasheed and artest.. same goes with marion

Damela
08-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Went with Richard Jefferson although I dislike him. I went with him because they got him for nothing and will add athleticism to the spurs which they lacked.

bal_ravens
08-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Damn, I was gonna say Mcdyess. His role I think will be the best for the Spurs.

bigsams50
08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
sheed, i think he'll bring alot of versitilty to the celtics

MTar786
08-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Damn, I was gonna say Mcdyess. His role I think will be the best for the Spurs.

i also think mcdyess is gonna be very effective for them. the mix of him theo and RJ will really help the spurs. but i couldnt add role players cuz then id have to mention marion, thomas n everyone dallas got. and the the magic with everyone they got. would kinda make this thread less debatable

Illuminati999
08-23-2009, 08:29 PM
In 2007, round 1 of the playoffs, the Mavs didn't have an answer for Baron Davis and Beidrins. They made Devin Harris and Dampier look like they had down syndrome. Kidd and Bass came along in the 07-08 season and fixed that problem. Not saying they signed (and traded) them solely for that reason, but it was a reason nonetheless. Last year, despite a valiant effort on Antoine Wright's part, the Mavs didn't have an answer for Carmelo Anthony. With the addition of Shawn Marion, this gives the Mavs someone to guard a superstar SG and/or SF. Of course people like Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, and Carmelo Anthony will still get their points, with Marion and Howard on them, it will slow them down and take more shots. I think Marion solves some of the defense problems Dallas has lacked, and completely solves the offense problem as they have Nowitzki, Terry, Howard, and Marion to put the ball in the hoop. Not to mention, Dallas is a jump shooting team, with Marion and Howard on the floor, those are 2 natural slashers who aren't GREAT jump shooters, but can and will knock it down if needed.

I guess I can't wait to see how accurate my theory is. It's going to be a good season for pretty much every team =).

MTar786
08-23-2009, 08:34 PM
In 2007, round 1 of the playoffs, the Mavs didn't have an answer for Baron Davis and Beidrins. They made Devin Harris and Dampier look like they had down syndrome. Kidd and Bass came along in the 07-08 season and fixed that problem. Not saying they signed (and traded) them solely for that reason, but it was a reason nonetheless. Last year, despite a valiant effort on Antoine Wright's part, the Mavs didn't have an answer for Carmelo Anthony. With the addition of Shawn Marion, this gives the Mavs someone to guard a superstar SG and/or SF. Of course people like Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, and Carmelo Anthony will still get their points, with Marion and Howard on them, it will slow them down and take more shots. I think Marion solves some of the defense problems Dallas has lacked, and completely solves the offense problem as they have Nowitzki, Terry, Howard, and Marion to put the ball in the hoop. Not to mention, Dallas is a jump shooting team, with Marion and Howard on the floor, those are 2 natural slashers who aren't GREAT jump shooters, but can and will knock it down if needed.

I guess I can't wait to see how accurate my theory is. It's going to be a good season for pretty much every team =).

thats actually a pretty good point.. not to mention tim thomas another tall jump shooter they got off the bench. howard and marion are their slasher while terry is ur shooter with kidd being the facilitator and dirk doing everything else. its a good balance.. only problem i see is that with all the running they probably will be doing i dont see the physicality of the team. too many finesse players

ko8e24
08-23-2009, 08:39 PM

wow, thats actually a really good analysis of the mavs. :clap:

and yes, my prediction, lakers face the mavs in the 2010 western conference finals

Mavrix
08-23-2009, 09:30 PM

I guess I can't wait to see how accurate my theory is. It's going to be a good season for pretty much every team =).Very well put. If Dallas picks up a good center like Kaman, Camby, and now talks of Big Z being available, I can see them easily challenging LA.

dtmagnet
08-23-2009, 09:58 PM
I think its gonna be Vince.

Raph12
08-23-2009, 10:12 PM
#1 Vince Carter - Orlando Magic (With Hedo bolting for TO, VC may run the show in Orlando)
#2 Richard Jefferson - San Antonio Spurs - (Brings some youth and athleticism to an aging team)
#3 Shawn Marion - Dallas Mavericks (If Kidd can get this guy going again, Mavs will be lethal)
#4 Ron Artest - Los Angeles Lakers (Another defensive stopper, but an inconsistant offensive player)
#5 Rasheed Wallace - Boston Celtics (Should be a nice pickup if he can keep his temper)
#100 Shaquille O'Neal - Cleveland Cavaliers (Just can't see these guys meshing, Shaq just has too big of an ego)

KBfrom8to24
08-23-2009, 10:15 PM
i chose ron artest because i feel that with the help of phil and kobe and fisher he'll stay in check. ron hasnt had any good teams to play to his full potential with in recent history. but when he did in indiani he was an early mvp candidate early in the season. he plays well when he's ur number 1 defensive option and he's ur third scoring option. with age in LA he may be their 3rd or 4th scoring option depending on the way things work out with bynum. he may be older but he is still a great defensive player, a lot wiser and his heart is in every game.

now here are reasons i didnt choose any of the others.
rasheed wallace is also really good still IMO. but his role witht the team isnt as big as artests is with the lakers. he's not gonna be their 1st or second scorig or defensive option. he's only gonna be there to deepen their bench and give some relief to KG to keep him from injury. but as much as an upgrade artest is to ariza.. he's the same to leon powe.

i didnt pick shaq because i feel he's going to take away from cleveland as much as he brings. i do see lebron and shaq working well together but i also see him taking a lot of production away from big z. I also feel that even if shaq gives cleveland 20 and 10 throughout the season they still wont be good enough to compete with boston, LA and orlando. they are deep but not as deep as the other 3.. not even as deep as san antonio.

i didnt choose vince because he is coming to a team who's changed a lot. orlando unlike boston and LA are bringing a team much different to their 08-09 team. strategically theyre a really different team now. not the inside outside team that caused lots of mismatches last year. by bringing lewis to the three and using bass (a more true PF) at the 4. they are now a traditional team. So its hard to even say theyll be as good as last year. I personally think so.. but im less sure of them as i am with LA and boston who are bringing back their teams just with upgrades. same goes for the cavs.. they are a different team now.. not as different as orlando has become tho. BUT if vince plays like his former self and orlando plays better than last season with their change of strategy then i see Orlando as the scariest team of all

i didnt pick RJ just because i feel san antonio isnt as good as shaq, carter, rasheed and artest.. same goes with marion

Good points in evrything you said.:clap::clap::clap:

Catfish1314
08-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Richard Jefferson because he is exactly what San Antonio needs. Another outside scorer who can defend, slash, and incase Manu gets hurt again, provide insurance.

I think Shaq would be a close 2nd because the Cavaliers got him for essentially nothing and he'll help them match-up with Dwight Howard, who absolutely dominated them in the ECF.

Mavrix
08-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Dallas basically got Shawn Marion for nothing.
Boston basically got Rasheed Wallace for nothing.
San Antonio basically got Richard Jefferson for nothing.
Cleveland basically got Shaq for nothing.

MTar786
08-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Dallas basically got Shawn Marion for nothing.
Boston basically got Rasheed Wallace for nothing.
San Antonio basically got Richard Jefferson for nothing.
Cleveland basically got Shaq for nothing.

la got artest for nothing. n if ur gonna say ariza left.. well then so did leon powe

the only team u can say got their guy for nothing was the cavs

Mavrix
08-23-2009, 10:41 PM
la got artest for nothing. n if ur gonna say ariza left.. well then so did leon powe

the only team u can say got their guy for nothing was the cavs

Wrong.

Ariza was a huge factor for LA and was a main rotation guy.

Leon Powe was injured most of last season and didn't play a single playoff game.

Dallas got Marion for Stackhouse who didn't play the entire season last year.

So in reality, the teams that got their guy for the least amount were Dallas, Boston, San Antonio, Cleveland, and LA in that order.

JordansBulls
08-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Vince or Shaq as they both will be 2nd options. Everyone else is a 3rd or 4th option on their teams.

MTar786
08-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Wrong.

Ariza was a huge factor for LA and was a main rotation guy.

Leon Powe was injured most of last season and didn't play a single playoff game.

Dallas got Marion for Stackhouse who didn't play the entire season last year.

So in reality, the teams that got their guy for the least amount were Dallas, Boston, San Antonio, Cleveland, and LA in that order.

no buddy.. ur wrong

powe was a big factor too. just because he didnt play in the playoffs doesnt mean he wasnt very important to the team. with ur logic kg is worthless too. wallace is in boston to play basically the same role as powe did. except he's an upgrade so will have more mins. artest is the same thing in la.. taking arizas role but is an upgrade so will play more mins as well. n i bet most will agree with me. ur logic doesnt work. sorry man.

and the fact u can say san antonio and boston sacrifices less than cleveland is insane. cleveland gave up the least imo.. maybe after dallas.. but the cavs clearly gave up less than the others

Raph12
08-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Vince or Shaq as they both will be 2nd options. Everyone else is a 3rd or 4th option on their teams.

Agreed... just don't see the Lebron-Shaq tandem panning out that well

Catfish1314
08-23-2009, 11:04 PM

I disagree. The Mavericks added Shawn Marion and Drew Gooden for nothing. Those two will make more of an impact than Sheed to Boston and swapping Ariza for Artest in LA, but not more than Shaq to Cleveland or Jefferson and McDyess to San Antonio IMO.

Or if you want to break it down just by the bigger name guys, Shaq in Cleveland and Jefferson in SA will still make more of an impact than Marion in Dallas I think.

I would break it down like San Antonio, Cleveland, Dallas, Boston, and LA in that order. But that's just me.

Bosoxfan11
08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
#1 Vince Carter - Orlando Magic (With Hedo bolting for TO, VC may run the show in Orlando)
#2 Richard Jefferson - San Antonio Spurs - (Brings some youth and athleticism to an aging team)
#3 Shawn Marion - Dallas Mavericks (If Kidd can get this guy going again, Mavs will be lethal)
#4 Ron Artest - Los Angeles Lakers (Another defensive stopper, but an inconsistant offensive player)
#5 Rasheed Wallace - Boston Celtics (Should be a nice pickup if he can keep his temper)
#100 Shaquille O'Neal - Cleveland Cavaliers (Just can't see these guys meshing, Shaq just has too big of an ego)

Good point on Shaq..and whos that in your sig

PrettyBoyJ
08-24-2009, 12:10 PM
I chose RJ jus because he brings more youth and reliable offense to the spurs.. but also think ROn Artest is a good pick up too.. cuz he could lock up the best player on the opposing team.. and kobe cud save his energy

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Ron Artest
reason 1.defense
reason 2.defense
reason 3.defense

lakerboy
08-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Richard Jefferson IMO. Shaq is second. Those teams practically got these players for free, while the Lakers lost Trevor Ariza!

b_rad23
08-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I think Vince is the best player of those listed, but I think

1) RJ
2) Marion
3) Sheed
4) Shaq
5) Ron Artest
6) VC

were the best value when also adding what the teams lost to the equation.

Ace33Bone
08-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Sheed... this dude is the perfect counterpart for KG they will be intimidating and MFing all of the Big men in the east cant wait to see those 2 play together

Mavrix
08-24-2009, 07:57 PM
no buddy.. ur wrong

powe was a big factor too. just because he didnt play in the playoffs doesnt mean he wasnt very important to the team. with ur logic kg is worthless too. wallace is in boston to play basically the same role as powe did. except he's an upgrade so will have more mins. artest is the same thing in la.. taking arizas role but is an upgrade so will play more mins as well. n i bet most will agree with me. ur logic doesnt work. sorry man.

and the fact u can say san antonio and boston sacrifices less than cleveland is insane. cleveland gave up the least imo.. maybe after dallas.. but the cavs clearly gave up less than the others

Yes you're correct, Powe only averaged 17.5 minutes a game making him a "big" factor.

Vinny642
08-24-2009, 08:09 PM
VC or Jefferson

deuces
08-24-2009, 08:20 PM
whos that in your sig?

Vinny642
08-24-2009, 08:20 PM
me?

deuces
08-24-2009, 09:06 PM
me?

my bad i'm new, i mean raph12

deuces
08-24-2009, 09:09 PM

who's in your sig

i agree with what you say i can imagine shaq clogging up the lane like what he did for amare, unless lebron gets his jumper down i don't see him being as effective with shhaq taking up the whole front court, and i bet shaq would start trouble since he still thinks he is amazing

MTar786
08-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Yes you're correct, Powe only averaged 17.5 minutes a game making him a "big" factor.

wow ur dumb. ariza got more mins than powe. and so will artest to wallace. they are BOTH taking on the other persons ROLE!. god u need a brain

123heyho
08-24-2009, 10:31 PM
It won't be Vince considering the fact that they lost Turkoglu and they're virtually filling the same roll on the team... Yes, Vince will be less of a playmaker than Turkoglu, and he'll fill more of the scoring role.

Mavrix
08-25-2009, 02:32 AM
wow ur dumb. ariza got more mins than powe. and so will artest to wallace. they are BOTH taking on the other persons ROLE!. god u need a brain

Are you an idiot?

YES. Ariza was a BIG factor in LA, did you not read my previous posts?

That's why I said LA gave up the most for their pickup out of all the teams mentioned.

lorenz00
08-25-2009, 03:18 AM
i think its shaq... because before shaq even went to the cavs , cavs is already a great team.... i believe 66 wins .. now you add shaq dominate the paint? i think there team to beat in the east! And Also added Anthony parker And jamario moon these guys are underrated defensive player so i can see the cavs competing for that championship come june!

azkarraga
08-25-2009, 03:47 AM

not that i wanna disapoint you, but marion is not a good defender. or at least, he's not the star defender you're saying he is

azkarraga
08-25-2009, 03:51 AM

agree

todu82
08-25-2009, 04:06 AM
I think it's going to be Richard Jefferson. I think he can help lead the Spurs to another NBA Title.

Sportfan
08-25-2009, 12:03 PM
RJ or Shaq

MTar786
08-25-2009, 09:31 PM
I think it's going to be Richard Jefferson. I think he can help lead the Spurs to another NBA Title.

espn agrees with you

MTar786
08-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Are you an idiot?

YES. Ariza was a BIG factor in LA, did you not read my previous posts?

That's why I said LA gave up the most for their pickup out of all the teams mentioned.

is this thread called who gave up the most to get the player they got?