PDA

View Full Version : Mock Offseason Playoffs - #1 Utah Jazz vs #8 Minnesota Timberwolves

BlondeBomber41
08-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Every offseason some of us on PSD join a mock offseason and make teams through a mock free agency period and trades among other GM's. Below are two teams battling in the playoffs, please help us by giving us your vote on who you think the better team is.

Utah Jazz Lineup:

C - Chris Kaman - Brendan Haywood - Ryan Hollins
PF - Carlos Boozer - Ronny Turiaf - Brandan Wright
SF - Ron Artest - Ryan Gomes - Kyle Korver
SG - Rip Hamilton - Marquis Daniels - Quinton Ross
PG - Deron Williams - Leandro Barbosa - Anthony Johnson

Minnesota Timberwolves Lineup:

Tyson Chandler/Kwame Brown/Theo Ratliff
Al Jefferson/Josh Boone/Taj Gibson
Richard Jefferson/Rasual Butler/Rodney Carney
Nick Young/Jamal Crawford/Jodie Meeks
Jose Calderon/Jordan Farmar/Acie Law

Utah Jazz Series Writeup

First I would like to say I think the GM's for the Timberwolves did an excellent job. They have really built a much improved team and I commend them for that. Great job guys.

Basically I think it comes down to my backcourt and depth that helps me take this matchup.

Chandler/Al Jefferson and Kaman/Boozer is pretty much a wash, and a matchup of Richard Jefferson and Ron Artest despite bringing much different things to the table is pretty even.

The backcourt matchup is the first thing that really swings things in my favor. Jose Calderon is a really good PG, possibly top 10 in the league but Deron Williams is on another level and right up there with Chris Paul among the best PGs in the league.

Rip Hamilton wins a matchup with Nick Young, especially with Young being so inexperienced and Hamilton being a former #1 option on a championship team.

Then the bench advantage for me is pretty steep with Barbosa and Crawford pretty even as 6th men but then when you compare Haywood/Daniels/Gomes/Turiaf/Korver to Brown/Butler/Boone/Farmar my bench really gives me a big advantage.

Minnesota Timberwolves Series Writeup:

We have constructed the perfect team around Al Jefferson. We got him scorers, defenders and playmakers. That imo is enough to beat the Utah Jazz.

Calderon's impact: Great shooters. For those that are not to familiar with his game ask any Raps fans here. He is a legit shooter, 90% + FT shooter and a playmaking PG. The Ideal fit for both Jefferson's. Williams isnt really known as a defender so I'm sure Calderon will hit clutch shots and ball how he usually does.

Nick Young/ Crawford impact on Rip- We all know both these players. maybe not Young so much. but I will explain his game. Young is a 12 ppg scorer(from the bench!!!!) Great shooter and perfect along side R.Jefferson, the perfect compliment. We all know Crawford. The 20 ppg scorer from the ATL hawks. He is a lights out shooter, something we love. He has had multiple 50 point games in the regular season. Now he finally has a chance to smell the playoffs. I'm sure he will shift his gear to the highest it can and Steam roll over rip(scoring wise). Crawford is also a good playmaker. He made Eddy Curry look good on the knicks with all those ally oops. We think he can do the same to athletic center Tyson Chandler.

Jefferson at Artest-
Okay. We all know what Artest excells at. Defense. But dont look at his name and think it is an automatic win for the position. Artest is known as a perimeter defender. Jefferson is a good shooter but since we have Artest on him... Jefferson will now be in slashing mode. Jefferson is a nice highflying SF, that should get a lot of opportunities with Calderon at the point. In Minny he will not be the 1st option so, he will be able to focus on D a little more than he used too. No offense stress will be key for him to be the defender he once was in NJ. Jefferson is another one of those 20 ppg scorers. him against Artest should be fine.

Jefferson at Boozer- Well we got a good matchup here. but we feel Jefferson's dominance in the post will be the key. Jefferson has a lot of post moves that he can do. He also has some size on the smaller Boozer. Jefferson 6'10", Boozer 6'8". Jefferson was a 23 and 11 center. Now at his regular position expect better numbers. Jefferson isnt as used to the playoffs but players always seem to step up their games reguardless... This matchup imo is an easy win. Cant wait for Jefferson to dominate in the post and with his smooth Jumpshot.

Chandler V.S. Kaman
This is a defense vs offense matchup. of course we all know the defense threat Chandler is and the offensive threat Kaman is. I like this matchup in our favor though. chandler will have a big role on both Kaman and Boozer. Both he can gaurd with his big 7'1" body. He is an athletic freak and a great shot blocker. Not someone we need to double team so I think Chandler will have an easy time on Kaman. Injuries has slown Kaman t the point that Clipper fans like the idea of Camby over Kaman.(age difference)

As for benches. Both are nice. I have Crawford he has Barbosa. We also have Farmar who is a great role player. and he has former T-wolves F Ryan Gomes.
The benches are nice but dont look at that and think they will affect the series besides Crawford and maybe Barbosa.
Crawford imo is better which gives my bench the edge. I mean we have other role players but how much are they gonna play in playoff games?

jimbobjarree
08-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Deron nails Calderon every time he plays him, he's on for a huge series. Kaman on Jefferson so Boozer doesnt need to play D on Chandler and their wing ties it up for me. Sorry Wolves, I really liked your team, but for me its too much offense relied on Al Jeff.

Saint Brian
08-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Jazz

Sportfan
08-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Twolves did a great job and will give quite a scare.
Jazz in 7 imo

Kakaroach
08-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Jazz in 6 or 7. Good on ya to both GMs', greatly improved your teams...

RocketsRule
08-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Nice job T'Wolves constructing a great team, but the Jazz take this one in 6. They out beat the Wolves at every position.

Catfish1314
08-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Jazz in 6. While the Jazz don't have an amazing defensive team, they are clearly the superior defensive unit while defense is the Timberwolves weakness. I also think Nick Young or Jamal Crawford would have a tough time chasing the far more playoff-seasoned Rip Hamilton around the baseline.

Great job to both GMs.

FC_4_life
08-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Jazz in 6 IMO, slight frontcourt advantage for the T-Wolves but aside from that the Jazz have backcourt, defense, and tons of depth. Great job by both teams.

Durant is hype
08-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Jazz in 6 IMO, slight frontcourt advantage for the T-Wolves but aside from that the Jazz have backcourt, defense, and tons of depth. Great job by both teams.

agreed.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-23-2009, 02:08 PM
I see it like this

Chandler>Kaman
Jefferson>Boozer
Jefferson<Artest
Crawford>Hamilton
Calderon<Wiliams

But the Jazz bench is WAAAAAAY better so I go with the Jazz.

Joshtd1
08-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Jazz for me

Catfish1314
I see it like this

Chandler>Kaman
Jefferson>Boozer
Jefferson<Artest
Crawford>Hamilton
Calderon<Wiliams

You think Crawford is better than Hamilton?

Raps18-19 Champ
Would have been better if Calderon was with Howard.

He would be lighting it up from down town.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-23-2009, 02:10 PM
You think Crawford is better than Hamilton?

I would take Crawford over Hamilton.

Maybe it's debatable but I would take Crawford over Hamilton.

Hamilton is more fundamentally sound but Jamal is just a flat out scorer who has nasty handles and one of the quicker guys in the league.

UofA
08-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Jazz even tho I like the twolves team

theimortalone
08-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Jazz in 6.

J-Relo
08-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Jazz

Nets fan 93
08-24-2009, 07:38 PM
I see it like this

Chandler>Kaman
Jefferson>Boozer
Jefferson<Artest
Crawford>Hamilton
Calderon<Wiliams

oh come on... how many mins are his bench players gonna get anyways?
:facepalm:

Nets fan 93
08-24-2009, 10:39 PM
I would take Crawford over Hamilton.

Maybe it's debatable but I would take Crawford over Hamilton.

Hamilton is more fundamentally sound but Jamal is just a flat out scorer who has nasty handles and one of the quicker guys in the league.

Crawford is also a way better passer...

I wasnt expecting to win.. but i'm happy with how much better Mcpeak and I did.. He is a really good GM... He did a lot of good trades that really helped the team. The only players I really got were Chandler and Calderon... the rest was basically all him. Great job to blondebomber 2. good luck in the next round.