PDA

View Full Version : Is Shaq and Lebron Basketball Marriage Doomed?

JordansBulls
08-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Source: WallstreetJournal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203550604574360980472540364.html)

"Everyone thinks you have to like each other to win a championship, but that's not true," says Mr. O'Neal. "You have to have respect but you don't have to go on vacation together."

Ever since the 37-year-old Mr. O'Neal was traded to the Cavaliers, a team that Mr. James, 24, has ruled throughout his six seasons in the NBA, speculation has been swirling about whether the marriage will work.

It's rare, in any sport, for stars of such magnitude to come together on the same team. Mr. O'Neal, who has won four NBA titles, has already been voted by players, media and league officials as one of the 50 greatest NBA players of all time. Mr. James this year became the youngest player in 30 years to be named Most Valuable Player and the second player in NBA history to rack up more than 2,000 points, 500 rebounds and 500 assists in four different seasons.

Mr. O'Neal is no stranger to public feuds with teammates. He jockeyed for the spotlight with Penny Hardaway in Orlando during his early days in the league and feuded constantly with Kobe Bryant while playing for the Lakers—even though they managed to win three championships together. Mr. O'Neal demanded a trade in 2004, complaining that Mr. Bryant had too much power, though now he says their feud was merely a publicity stunt.

After Lakers coach Phil Jackson knocked his work ethic while speaking to reporters in 2006, Mr. O'Neal announced that Pat Riley was his new favorite coach. In 2007, Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade, a teammate at the time, told reporters Mr. O'Neal was lacking in the motivation department. Mr. O'Neal recently sent around a photo of Mr. Wade's head pasted on a woman's body. (Mr. Wade did not return calls for comment).

FOBolous
08-21-2009, 04:51 PM
i seriously hate o'neil

rapswin98
08-21-2009, 05:22 PM
yes.why, because shaq will find a way to make it so

IDB Josh M
08-21-2009, 05:50 PM
You all just a bunch of Lebron haters! Lebron will win a title in Cleveland, and stay in Cleveland!

ink
08-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Well since they both have such small egos I think they'll be just fine. Haha.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Well Lebron pretty much has the same personality as Shaq.

I think it works. Shaq isn't that same guy from when he was in Lakers, Orlando and Miami so he probably wont talk as much. He didn't have any feuds in Phoenix, so why would he have one in Cleveland.

BTW, Shaq is the best.

LakePackYank
08-21-2009, 06:17 PM

I think it works. Shaq isn't that same guy from when he was in Lakers, Orlando and Miami so he probably wont talk as much. He didn't have any feuds in Phoenix, so why would he have one in Cleveland.

BTW, Shaq is the best.

:facepalm: :laugh2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBh5dvSbgLM

Gibby23
08-21-2009, 06:18 PM

BTW, Shaq is the best.

He stole the idea for the TV show from Nash.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-21-2009, 06:22 PM
He stole the idea for the TV show from Nash.

He used the idea after he left. I'm talking about during his time there.

And it's lot like that is something big like Kobe and Shaq.

DetroitRipCity
08-21-2009, 06:23 PM
whats with all the Mr. talk in that article?

what54!?
08-21-2009, 06:26 PM
:sigh: thats what I never get about shaq. When he plays with a great guard he says there BFF's but when he leaves he just talks **** about them. I don't think this will work just because I think boston and orlando are still better IMO

kriviant
08-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Yea seriously, whats with this Mr. O'Neal bs. Mr. O'Neal this, Mr. O'Neal that.

dhalvarez
08-21-2009, 06:51 PM
O'neil's mouth is getting bigger while his mobility is getting slower.

I actually think that he's getting worse and see him ripping Lebron in some free style in the future.

I don't think that Shaq is going to make Cleveland that much better, but he will help a bit.

I also think that his ego will get him into trouble as he tries to seek attention from the media, who will be chasing Lebron all the time.

I think Parker can help more.

Toenail Clipper
08-21-2009, 09:10 PM
I hope Shaq ridicules LeBron cause I just can't stand LeBron.

ZebraCity916
08-21-2009, 09:40 PM
I think it'll work out.

jimbobjarree
08-21-2009, 09:48 PM
**** knows idiot, we'll see as the season progresses :pity:

rabzouz 96
08-22-2009, 08:18 AM
i dont see how this article is related to the statement that their basketball future is doomed!
there is no word that they dont like each other or have a feud and the rest is just how he has beef with players from his ex teams.

D-Leethal
08-22-2009, 08:27 AM
I think its clear at this point that Shaq is going to take a backseat to Lebron. If it were 5-6 years ago there could be a problem. I still think basketball wise its a poor fit because Lebron needs to get in the paint to work his magic and Shaq being posted down there will cause problems

#1Mavericksfan
08-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Shaq is gonna wear out his welcome again like he did on the Heat and Suns.....I think Shaq it gonna be traded at the deadline.

Trouble87
08-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Shaq isn't getting any younger and I think he's desperate for another championship, he'll fall in line with the rest of the team

I think the only person Shaq will clash with is Mike Brown... he's a joke of a coach

#1Mavericksfan
08-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Shaq isn't getting any younger and I think he's desperate for another championship, he'll fall in line with the rest of the team

I think the only person Shaq will clash with is Mike Brown... he's a joke of a coach

I think Larry Brown would be the perfect coach for that Cavs team, Larry Brown wouldn't have got out coached like Mike brown did in the playoffs.

JordansBulls
08-22-2009, 12:39 PM

BTW, Shaq is the best.

He was the most dominant when with those teams.

Trouble87
08-22-2009, 12:44 PM
I think Larry Brown would be the perfect coach for that Cavs team, Larry Brown wouldn't have got out coached like Mike brown did in the playoffs.

x2

I also think Larry Brown would bring the best out of Mo Williams & D. West

SeoulBeatz
08-22-2009, 12:54 PM
all the people that don't think it will work are either Haters or Kobe fans.

its plain and simple, dont act like its not u guys lol, its obvious.

from a neutral fan i think it will work because Shaq went to Miami and won a chip with D Wade. He also managed to coexist in Phoenix although it didn't yield results due to injury and aging players.

But throw in the most physically dominant player of this generation in Lebron, and the most physically dominant player of last generation in Shaq. Surround them with a bunch of three pointers in mo will, delonte, and i think they have a pretty deadly combination.

that whole clogging the lane **** is ********.

D Wade is a slasher and he seemed to do quite alright with Shaq.

So was Kobe.

its a non-issue imo.

azkarraga
08-22-2009, 01:16 PM
doomed? only if they dont win it all

santosh24.8
08-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Shaq is a lil baby. He is like a girl.. always whinning and complaining. He always finds faults in other people and when things dont go his way, either he wants to leave or he will quit.

Prime Example is LA. He was doing just great with Kobe and PJ but he was JEALOUS becasuse Kobe was getting the love now... not ALL the love but just sharing the spotlight was bothersome for this big IDIOT. Basically he wants it to be all about him or nothing else. Once Kobe started to soar in about 2 years he wanted the lakers to choose between him or Kobe. Lakers made a smart choice but choose the best in the NBA, a younger, more eager, hard working and an always focused Kobe. SHaq would slack off, not report to camp in shape, have lingering injuries that he wouldnt take care of in the offseason. His remarks " If i got hurt on companys time, I will heal on companys time".

He then went to Miami, that championship they won in Miami was a freaking FLUKE. That team if put against top 4 teams in the NBA today will be SWEPT!!! That was a mickey mouse season with the MAVS playing them. COME ON!!!

D-wade got hurt, Oneal shut it down and realized that Miami & D-wade are gonna be the same anymore. He opted for the SUns thinking that he was the missing part of the puzzle, and he was WRONG about that. Suns are a 100% offensive team, once injuries tagged on it was OVER. Tooo many old players trying to win.

Basically after leaving the Lakers he was just another Robert Horry... trying to go to the best team in the league just to try to pick up on a ring. Thats exactly why he signed with the CAVS. He knew damn well, LAKERS, Boston, SPURS and ORlando dont have the place for him and there is no way in hell Kobe would ever allow Shaq to come back. Cleveland was his only option to go where he can create some buzz with the 2nd best player in the league.

But like last year.... he will have a fantastic start, 82 games will take a toll on his body, he will miss 20 games, he will be a factor but not where he will need double teams every time he touches the ball. Basically he will be that guy who follows Lebrons lead and be his "*****".

Raps08-09 Champ
08-22-2009, 01:27 PM
He was the most dominant when with those teams.

Exactly. And when he was at the top, he wanted all the attention. Now he isn't so he isn't gonna have any problems.

MackSnackWrap
08-22-2009, 01:40 PM
It will work, Lebron and Shaq are gonna run shyt

lakers4sho
08-22-2009, 02:28 PM

So was Kobe.

Yeah, but neither were 6'9" 260 (?) pound behemoths.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah, but neither were 6'9" 260 (?) pound behemoths.

Does Lebron's size really play a big role in it?

lakers4sho
08-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Does Lebron's size really play a big role in it?

Well at least Shaq has to be able to make mid range Js like Big Z does, or else the pick and pop breaks down.

Don't underestimate the effect size has on LeBron's driving ability. With Shaq, Varejao (plus their defenders) underneath the rim, it would be interesting to see how LeBron adjusts his game.

It was easier last year because Big Z rarely posts up, he is mostly by the mid range zone waiting for the pick-and-pop from LBJ.

Same reason Phil doesn't play Bynum and Gasol together for very long stretches during a game. And that's with a Kobe who doesn't drive as much as he used to.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Well at least Shaq has to be able to make mid range Js like Big Z does, or else the pick and pop breaks down.

Don't underestimate the effect size has on LeBron's driving ability. With Shaq, Varejao (plus their defenders) underneath the rim, it would be interesting to see how LeBron adjusts his game.

It was easier last year because Big Z rarely posts up, he is mostly by the mid range zone waiting for the pick-and-pop from LBJ.

Same reason Phil doesn't play Bynum and Gasol together for very long stretches during a game. And that's with a Kobe who doesn't drive as much as he used to.

What about if they try the pick and role? Didn't Hardaway and O'neal do that in Orlando? I know they had problems with each other but they were very successful. Lebron is taller and has pretty good handling. He is pretty much another Magic Johnson frame and PG skill wise.

I would think that could be successful. I also think Lebron passes to Shaq more instead trying to score himself because he has never had a post presence before and has said he would like to pas to Shaq more.

smith&wesson
08-22-2009, 03:10 PM
He used the idea after he left. I'm talking about during his time there.

And it's lot like that is something big like Kobe and Shaq.

i dont think amare and shaq were the best of friends... amare didnt like all the space shaq took and felt he didnt have enough room to work on the inside.

he hurt that phoenix team more then he helped them thats for sure. they were a succefull running team, what were they when shaq was there ?

on a side note, shaq made all third defensive team, and made the all star game and wasnt he co-mvp of that all star game.. he still has game, lebron will like having him i think. the cavs run more of a half court offence.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-22-2009, 03:15 PM
i dont think amare and shaq were the best of friends... amare didnt like all the space shaq took and felt he didnt have enough room to work on the inside.

he hurt that phoenix team more then he helped them thats for sure. they were a succefull running team, what were they when shaq was there ?

on a side note, shaq made all third defensive team, and made the all star game and wasnt he co-mvp of that all star game.. he still has game, lebron will like having him i think. the cavs run more of a half court offence.

The fact that Phoenix was forced to play defense hurt more.
If they used the run and gun system all year, the would have won at least 5-7 more games.

DreamShaker
08-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Only worry I would have is that Shaq will take up too much space in the lane when Lebron is trying to drive...he is used to big guys who he can kick it out to for a mid-range jumper and Shaq is not that guy obviously...

lakers4sho
08-22-2009, 03:29 PM
What about if they try the pick and role? Didn't Hardaway and O'neal do that in Orlando? I know they had problems with each other but they were very successful. Lebron is taller and has pretty good handling. He is pretty much another Magic Johnson frame and PG skill wise.

I would think that could be successful. I also think Lebron passes to Shaq more instead trying to score himself because he has never had a post presence before and has said he would like to pas to Shaq more.

They can certainly try, but they should hope that Shaq would work his *** off to be quick enough to slip past the screen or something.

I'm not making any conclusions here. I'm just present what kinds of troubles having Shaq might provide. If the combination works, it's all good. If it doesn't, don't be surprised is all what I'm trying to point out.

Only worry I would have is that Shaq will take up too much space in the lane when Lebron is trying to drive...he is used to big guys who he can kick it out to for a mid-range jumper and Shaq is not that guy obviously...

Agree.

vash9
08-22-2009, 05:01 PM
The Shaq and LBJ combo, in my honest opinion isn't the biggest success, but neither the biggest failure.

They can get somewhere. I wouldn't come to the conclusion of a Championship, but i think they can still head to the playoffs.

D-Leethal
08-22-2009, 10:58 PM
all the people that don't think it will work are either Haters or Kobe fans.

its plain and simple, dont act like its not u guys lol, its obvious.

from a neutral fan i think it will work because Shaq went to Miami and won a chip with D Wade. He also managed to coexist in Phoenix although it didn't yield results due to injury and aging players.

But throw in the most physically dominant player of this generation in Lebron, and the most physically dominant player of last generation in Shaq. Surround them with a bunch of three pointers in mo will, delonte, and i think they have a pretty deadly combination.

So was Kobe.

its a non-issue imo.

Im not a hater, I love Lebron, love Shaq, love Kobe, love DWade, love all great players because I love basketball.........the difference is that Lebron drives the the lane to find open man on the perimeter, Kobe and DWade drove to the lane to score. Shaq is one less guy on the perimeter, and one more big defender will be in the paint to contest Lebron when he drives instead of staying 10-15ft out guarding big Z

Hellcrooner
08-22-2009, 11:44 PM
i think allen iverson and steph marbdury sod l join the commedy for vets min

JordansBulls
08-22-2009, 11:50 PM

I think when Lebron drives that means a double team comes and then he drops it off to Shaq.