PDA

View Full Version : Which team had the best starting SG and backup SG duo?

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 03:17 PM
I would have said Lakers because of Kobe but Vujachic isn't that good.

I would take Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford first.

king4day
08-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Richardson/Barbosa ain't too bad. All offense, but not many can stop them.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Lakers:confused:

Kobe and The Machine

td0tsfinest
VC and Pietrus is a nice Combo.

Mavrix
Howard/Terry

DCSportsIsPain
08-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Arenas and Foye could be a good one, if the rumors that he is back are true.

Catfish1314
08-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford for now. Both can play both guard positions, both can create for others and while Crawford is a chucker, a player with his offensive ability coming off the bench is a huge luxury.

Rip Hamilton and Ben Gordon is another good one. At least until Rip is traded.

Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia at least deserve an honorable mention.

carter15
08-21-2009, 03:37 PM
VC - Pietrus is nice
Wade and maybe AI if they get him
JJ and Crawford is ok but i dont really like crawford as a player
Rip and Ben Gordon would probly get my vote at this point.

b_rad23
08-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Wade and Cook....

then JJ-Crawford
then Kobe-Sasha
then Rip- BG

goose15
08-21-2009, 03:45 PM
J. Johnson - Crawford

Sportfan
08-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Wade and Cook....
then JJ-Crawford
then Kobe-Sasha
then Rip- BG

:laugh:

JJ and Crawford easy

Nets fan 93
08-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Johnson and Crawford

BoSox47
08-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Ray Allen and Eddie house? Eddie house's stats were amazing over a stretch towards the end of the season last year he came up big in many games

ecorrea
08-21-2009, 03:55 PM
bg7 and Ripp just ahead of JJ and JCrawff

prodigy
08-21-2009, 03:57 PM
I would say Lakers because of Kobe but Vujachic isn't that good.

Then that wouldn't be one lol.

I'm going to be bias here. west/parker That is a good one, with very solid players.

NiTEFuRY
08-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Proud To Say Rip City and BG

Go Pistons!

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Then that wouldn't be one lol.

I'm going to be bias here. west/parker That is a good one, with very solid players.

ya I just corrected it.

yanksknicksgmen
08-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Rip Hamilton and Ben Gordon
Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford

cameroncrazies2
08-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Wow, where's all the Blazer love?

Brandon Roy and Rudy Fernandez >>> Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford

b_rad23
08-21-2009, 04:34 PM
:laugh:

JJ and Crawford easy

Lol. Even if you use the stats from last year Wade+Cook is better, and Crawford won't be starting so his numbers will go down.

Wade+Cook is also better defensively.

Again: the question is not which team has the best backup, it's which is the best duo.

Wade+Cook produce the most.

gotbud4u
08-21-2009, 05:14 PM
blazers with roy and rudy hands down

Raph12
08-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Pistons: Richard Hamilton and Ben Gordon
Dallas: Josh Howard (if he plays SG) and Jason Terry
Orlando: Vince Carter and Mickeal Pietrus

blah-blah
08-21-2009, 05:41 PM

29$JerZ
08-21-2009, 05:43 PM

DetroitRipCity
08-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Rip and Ben Gordon def the best

IDB Josh M
08-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Lakers: Kobe and ....
Shannon Brown.

theimortalone
08-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Suns:
J-Rich
Barbosa

UofA
08-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Howard and Terry
JJ and Crawford
Carter and Pietrus

JWO35
08-21-2009, 07:11 PM
Richard Hamilton/Ben Gordon
But, Hopefully this won't last long...Trade RIP!!

Jason Richardson and Leandro Barbosa are also a great Duo

Tblaze
08-21-2009, 07:27 PM
wow this amazes me....

I thought it was pretty much a lock for Brandon Roy + Rudy Fernandez...

NYKnickFanatic
08-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Wow, where's all the Blazer love?

Brandon Roy and Rudy Fernandez >>> Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford

Without doubt, I would take Roy and Rudy over all the other duos that were named.

MTar786
08-21-2009, 07:41 PM
wow this amazes me....

u thought wrong... dont be such a homer dude. roy and fernandez are not the best or even second best combo of sg. get over it now.

jo johnson and crawford, ben gordon and rip, howard and terry.. i like carter and pietrus too. oh and LOL @ the guy who said delonte west and parker

azkarraga
08-21-2009, 07:55 PM
roy and rudy or rip and gordon. any of those.

Tblaze
08-21-2009, 08:00 PM
u thought wrong... dont be such a homer dude. roy and fernandez are not the best or even second best combo of sg. get over it now.

jo johnson and crawford, ben gordon and rip, howard and terry.. i like carter and pietrus too. oh and LOL @ the guy who said delonte west and parker

I'm not being a homer, Crawford is a great scorer but he's nothing more then that, and Roy is clearly better then JJ.

about Rip/Gordon, I agree they're both really good, but they're also about the same quality and neither of them comes close to Roy. Not to mention Rudy is a really servicable backup who could get starter minutes on ALOT of teams.

I'm not being a homer, Roy is the 3rd sg, and Kobe and Wade have really bad backups, and Rudy is one of the best backup sgs.

HiphopRelated
08-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Wade/Cook>>Carter/ Pietrus

Ansy
08-21-2009, 08:35 PM
blazers with roy and rudy hands down

This, and I'm surprised it took so long for someone to say it. This one's a no brainer.

Ansy
08-21-2009, 08:38 PM

Jeez, I wish there were a way to gamble with people on the internet. I'd take Roy and Rudy against any of those combos in a win shares bet, for a lot of money.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 08:39 PM
wow this amazes me....

Roy is the 3rd best SG, Johnson is 4th.

Jamal Crawford can probably be a top 15 SG. Rudy Fernandez probably can't crack top 20.

Ansy
08-21-2009, 08:42 PM
After making my last post I decided to check win shares for last season: Roy and Rudy combined for 18.5 of the Blazers' wins last year according to that metric. Just have to LOL at anyone who thinks any other combo will be worth more wins than that. It makes it even worse when you consider how young Roy and Rudy are and how much more likely they are to improve than the other SG combos people are throwing out.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 08:46 PM
After making my last post I decided to check win shares for last season: Roy and Rudy combined for 18.5 of the Blazers' wins last year according to that metric. Just have to LOL at anyone who thinks any other combo will be worth more wins than that. It makes it even worse when you consider how young Roy and Rudy are and how much more likely they are to improve than the other SG combos people are throwing out.

So what?

I can probably guarantee without Kobe, the Lakers don't win half those games. Does that make him and Vujachic better than Roy and Rudy.

Byronicle
08-21-2009, 08:55 PM
yea richard hamilton and ben gordon look pretty good, and they can both play at the same time, RIP at SF and BG at SG which can make the Detroit pistons extremely deadly

king4day
08-21-2009, 08:56 PM
wow this amazes me....

Just looks like everyone's picking their teams.
I haven't seen enough of Rudy to say they are the tops, but they are certainly up there.
I think LA is one of the few teams you can say is not. Outside of Kobe, they are weak.
The rest, it has to be looked at as, who could win in a game of 2 on 2.

Byronicle
08-21-2009, 08:56 PM
wait i change my mind...

DEFINITELY Roy and Rudy Fernandez but i doubt Portland is gonna be able to keep Fernandez in the future because that kid is freaking amazing

Ansy
08-21-2009, 08:58 PM
So what?

I can probably guarantee without Kobe, the Lakers don't win half those games. Does that make him and Vujachic better than Roy and Rudy.

Are you serious? The Lakers may have had the strongest team top to bottom in the NBA. You really think they don't get 33 wins with:

Fisher
Sasha
Ariza
Pau
Bynum
and Odom off the bench

That team would clearly be better than the Bobcats who won 35 games. Kobe was not worth 30 freaking wins, man. Win shares had him at about 14 wins last season, but all advanced stats (win shares included) underrate bulk scoring and overrate efficiency so I'd say he was worth more than that, but damn he wasn't worth 30.

king4day
08-21-2009, 08:58 PM
yea richard hamilton and ben gordon look pretty good, and they can both play at the same time, RIP at SF and BG at SG which can make the Detroit pistons extremely deadly

I think these two might take it. It's a pretty lethal 1-2.

Ansy
08-21-2009, 09:01 PM
wait i change my mind...

DEFINITELY Roy and Rudy Fernandez but i doubt Portland is gonna be able to keep Fernandez in the future because that kid is freaking amazing

Rudy will probably be in Portland longer than Rip will be in Detroit.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Are you serious? The Lakers may have had the strongest team top to bottom in the NBA. You really think they don't get 33 wins with:

Fisher
Sasha
Ariza
Pau
Bynum
and Odom off the bench

That team would clearly be better than the Bobcats who won 35 games. Kobe was not worth 30 freaking wins, man. Win shares had him at about 14 wins last season, but all advanced stats (win shares included) underrate bulk scoring and overrate efficiency so I'd say he was worth more than that, but damn he wasn't worth 30.

My point was that win share thing doesn't prove anything. There are like 3-4 new SG duos so how can you compare that to a duo who hasn't played.

Ansy
08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
My point was that win share thing doesn't prove anything. There are like 3-4 new SG duos so how can you compare that to a duo who hasn't played.

Well obviously you can't get an exact comparison until you see the other duo play in the same system, but you can still talk about it, and my feeling is that the majority of the posters in this thread don't understand just how much Roy/Rudy were responsible for Portland's success last year so I'm trying to make that clear. If you don't like win shares, how about this:

Roy and Rudy combined for 38% of Portland's points last year. That's almost 40% of the production on a 54-win team, and they were 24 and 23-years-old respectively, so both have the potential to improve before this season. Rudy may not be a recognizable name yet but he was the 4th leading scorer for the Blazers last year. The dude is contributing in a major way to a winning program.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Well obviously you can't get an exact comparison until you see the other duo play in the same system, but you can still talk about it, and my feeling is that the majority of the posters in this thread don't understand just how much Roy/Rudy were responsible for Portland's success last year so I'm trying to make that clear. If you don't like win shares, how about this:

Roy and Rudy combined for 38% of Portland's points last year. That's almost 40% of the production on a 54-win team, and they were 24 and 23-years-old respectively, so both have the potential to improve before this season.

Either way, I'd rather take Johnson and Crawford over Roy and Rudy.

MTar786
08-21-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm not being a homer, Crawford is a great scorer but he's nothing more then that, and Roy is clearly better then JJ.

about Rip/Gordon, I agree they're both really good, but they're also about the same quality and neither of them comes close to Roy. Not to mention Rudy is a really servicable backup who could get starter minutes on ALOT of teams.

I'm not being a homer, Roy is the 3rd sg, and Kobe and Wade have really bad backups, and Rudy is one of the best backup sgs.

i do agree with you about roy being great. but i cant really say he's the clear cut number three sg in the league. and IMO kobe and wade are on a way higher level than roy. but roy is still better than all the other guards that have been brought up in this thread. and as for fernandez.. i like him.. good player but i wouldnt say a better backup than gordon or crawford. arguably on the same level as pietrus at this point in his career.

then again, i could be wrong.. fernandez may be great. i dont know so much about him. seen him play a few times last season. my bad for calling u a homer.. i just disagree with you on this one

Tommyh1331
08-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Carter/pietrus

JaysRapsPack
08-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Roy is a beast and rudy's got all kinda upside, so i'm gonna go with them, then Rip and Gordon followed real close by Johnson Crawford then Carter Pietrus.
Though i might do tradsies with 2 and 3 as neither crawford or gordan can defend anyone.So yeah i trade 2 and 3 cause Johnson's better than Rip.

MrBigShotBWill
08-22-2009, 09:08 AM
I would take Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford first.[/QUOTE]

There is not enough basketballs for them to. There will be nights when Crawford may think he is the star of the team.

Just because he dropped 50 a couple of years ago.

loki34
08-22-2009, 09:43 AM
J-rich might make all-star team with the old/new system
Barbosa one of the best sixth man of the bench
homer pick
J-rich/barbosa

Ace33Bone
08-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Atlantas and Detroit

NJrockPD
08-22-2009, 10:52 AM
I was pretty shocked after the first page not to see Roy and Rudy, but pages two and three changed that. We've all seen the obvious ones . . .

Roy/ rudy
Rip/ Gordon
Johnson/ Crawford
Carter/ Pietrus
J-rich/barbosa

Here are a few others I haven't seen in this thread.

I wonder with Marion coming over to Dallas if they move Howard to SG then they would have a nasty tandem of Howard and Terry.

Even though they both play out of position I always see Stephen Jackson as a shooting guard and he and Monta Ellis make a nice duo.

And on a lower tier

Eric Gordon is emerging as a nice starting shooting guard and although Ricky Davis was injured most of the season he is definetly a talented player and a nice backup.

I've heard people say that Rudy Gay's natural position is shooting guard, if that is the case Gay and Mayo would be up at the top. The fact that he mainly plays SF I'll leave him down here.

Kakaroach
08-22-2009, 11:20 AM
JJ and Crawford
Rip and Ben Gordon

mrblisterdundee
08-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Brandon Roy and Rudy Fernandez are the best combo. I would be willing to trade Roy for Paul or Williams, knowing that Rudy could easily start.

nalej85
08-22-2009, 12:07 PM
I remember hearing a rumor Jamal Crawford was going to play pg?????

I am not a biased homer but the top two for me are Kobe Bryant/Shannon Brown & Jason Richardson/Barbosa