PDA

View Full Version : Pops Mensah-Bonsu to Houston

DeeJay
08-21-2009, 03:58 AM
Pops: It Feels Good to
Be a Rocket

* MARK BERMAN

HOUSTON - The Houston Rockets have reached a verbal agreement on a contract with free agent forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu according to his agent John Greig.

"We have an agreement," Greig said in an interview Thursday with FOX 26 Sports. "It's a one-year deal.

"They are hoping Pops will fly in soon and do a physical."

Mensah-Bonsu is ready to roll right now.

"I an wonderful, especially after (Thursday's) events," Mensah-Bonsu said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

"It feels good to be a Rocket. I followed them closely last year and I feel like I know what I can do to help them.

Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey, who has not been available for comment, has been working this off-season to add depth to his front court with Yao Ming out for the year because of injuries and Dikembe Mutombo has retired.

Mensah-Bonsu is 6'10, 206 pounds.

He played in 12 games for the Dallas Mavericks during the 2006-07 season and split time last year with the San Antonio Spurs and the Toronto Raptors.

Mensah-Bonsu has career averages of 4.1 points and 3.9 rebounds after playing a total of 34 games over two years.

However, during 19 games with Toronto last season he averaged 5.1 points and 5.4 rebounds while averaging only 13.8 minutes a game.

Mensah-Bonsu was in Houston for three days meeting with the Rockets earlier this week.

"The Rockets did a fabulous job with Pops," Greig said. "They made him feel like he was Trevor Ariza."

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/090820_rockets_agree_mensahbonsu

secterm
08-21-2009, 04:02 AM
Pops will be good in Houston, I hope they give him a good shot cause he will earn the love of those fans.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-21-2009, 04:11 AM
They needed size, and they got it!

Very good signing for the Rockets!

smith&wesson
08-21-2009, 04:18 AM
solid pick up for houston. he is explosive

vash9
08-21-2009, 04:26 AM
definitely. he is an explosive, energy player.

great pick up by houston.

Mavrix
08-21-2009, 04:53 AM
He's horrible

houstonrockets1
08-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Nice decent pick up for us. He will definitely add depth on our front line. And the fans will love him

Mavrix
08-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Not bad for a 3rd string PF with horrible basketball IQ?

Wizard of O's
08-21-2009, 06:35 AM
more like 4th string

Scola/Landry/Hayes/Bosha

and he also scored 21pts against the pacers last season so he has some "basketball IQ"

Unruly Fan
08-21-2009, 08:26 AM
"The Rockets did a fabulous job with Pops," Greig said. "They made him feel like he was Trevor Ariza." - :laugh2:

Frank Costanza
08-21-2009, 08:55 AM
houston rockets youll be very happy, or shall i say well be happy as i am a duel rockets-raptors die hard

Pops was a fan favorite in toronto not only cause we despareltly needed what he brought - energy, rebounding- heart - soul - determination

but also cause he was able to accept any role, any amount of playing time and when he was on the floor it was all work no play,

ppl will say he only played garbage time but anyone who followed the raps last 19 games, they won a stunning 12 of them and pops' role in the games grew as the season got closer to finishing

he earned a couple starting nods along side cb4 and shawn marion and is going to be a great addition to the rockets

FlakeyFool
08-21-2009, 01:20 PM
hes a good 4th string back up who can play about 4 minutes a game

Jays Claw
08-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I hope he does well with the Houston Rockets.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Damn. I wanted him to go back here.But I hope he succeeds there.

Raph12
08-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Good pickup for the Rockets, TO fans need to read this, alot of those guys like riding Pops shaft.

Sports Illustrator
08-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Pops is solid. I guess Amir Johnson replaced him, so they didn't really feel the need to retain pops.

Great move made by the Houston Rockets though. If he develops his game well enough, he may be able to get the opportunity to start later on down the road. That is assuming they'd be OK with starting the 6-9 Luis Scola at Center while being convinced that Andersen cannot start for them at Center.

Jays Claw
08-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Pops is solid. I guess Amir Johnson replaced him, so they didn't really feel the need to retain pops.

Great move made by the Houston Rockets though. If he develops his game well enough, he may be able to get the opportunity to start later on down the road. That is assuming they'd be OK with starting the 6-9 Luis Scola at Center while being convinced that Andersen cannot start for them at Center.

I wouldn't call Pops Mensah-Bonsu solid because he needs to work on a lot of things.

Pops Mensah-Bonsu is a good rebounder and brings a ton of energy to the table. However, he seems to get lost on the defensive side of things. He needs to improve on his help defense and shot blocking ability as well as his jump shot. Pops Mensah-Bonsu always seemed clueless when he was given the ball fifteen feet away from the basket.

BluejaysFan08
08-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Wish Toronto would have kept him....this is definetly a #1 thread.

R. Johnson#3
08-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Noooooooo

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-21-2009, 01:55 PM
who is this bum?

OG "Dee" LOCc
08-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Pops mensha wahtsa who?

Good luck to him and the rockets, anyway.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't call Pops Mensah-Bonsu solid because he needs to work on a lot of things.

Pops Mensah-Bonsu is a good rebounder and brings a ton of energy to the table. However, he seems to get lost on the defensive side of things. He needs to improve on his help defense and shot blocking ability as well as his jump shot. Pops Mensah-Bonsu always seemed clueless when he was given the ball fifteen feet away from the basket.

Being an above average rebounder and an energy should be called solid.