PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Coaches of all time, by Foxsports.

JMKnick33
08-20-2009, 10:22 PM
10. Lenny Wilkens
9. Don Nelson
8. Jerry Sloan
7. John Kundla
6. Chuck Daly
5. Larry Brown
4. Greg Poppovich
3. Pat Riley
2. Red Auerbach
1. Phil Jackson

Honorable Mention: Rick Adelman, Billy Cunningham, Red Holzman, George Karl, Rudy Tomjanovich.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=9959472#sport=NBA%20Tipoff&photo=9955450

Thoughts?

asandhu23
08-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I disagree with Phil Jackson being better than Red Auerbuch. As much as i hate anything out of Boston, I have to give the respect to Red Auerbuch. He didn't just coach those teams, he pretty much made them from scratch and then coached them. Hell, I read that he told Wilt Chamberlain to go to Harvard so he could draft him with territorial draft rights....but Wilt saw through that and went to Kansas. Red Auerbuch was cunning. Phil Jackson got lucky that he ended up a coach of 5 of the best players in NBA at their position. Rodman, Jordan, Pippen, Kobe and Shaq.

Raph12
08-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Close to what I was thinking, would be more like this IMO:

10. Don Nelson
9. Rick Adelman
8. John Kundla
7. Jerry Sloan
6. Chuck Daly
5. Larry Brown
4. Pat Riley
3. Greg Poppovich
2. Phil Jackson
1. Red Auerbach

Honorable Mention: Lenny Wilkens, Billy Cunningham, Red Holzman and Rudy Tomjanovich

B.JenningsMVP
08-20-2009, 10:56 PM
The list is okay.
They got one thing right.. Phil's #1!! haha

bagwell368
08-20-2009, 11:12 PM
The list is okay.
They got one thing right.. Phil's #1!! haha

like a list means anything.

How many assistants does Phil have? Red? None

Was Phil ever a GM? Make trades? Take draft choices? Assistant Trainer? Traveling Secretary?

Phil is smart, and dirty (I played ball against him in 1987 for about 12 hours in one week), but he's no Red, just a guy that can take great players and not **** it up. Wow.... oh yeah, and he's in LA LA land where they are still licking their wounds over all the *** wuppings the Celts have dealt them in the Finals - when Red was coaching or the GM. Sour grapes is the only logic that exists for this "choice".

IversonIsKrazy
08-20-2009, 11:29 PM
i'd put Greg over Pat.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-20-2009, 11:29 PM

Was Phil ever a GM? Make trades? Take draft choices? Assistant Trainer? Traveling Secretary?

Phil is smart, and dirty (I played ball against him in 1987 for about 12 hours in one week), but he's no Red, just a guy that can take great players and not **** it up. Wow.... oh yeah, and he's in LA LA land where they are still licking their wounds over all the *** wuppings the Celts have dealt them in the Finals - when Red was coaching or the GM. Sour grapes is the only logic that exists for this "choice".

I thought this was the coaches list, not GMs???:shrug:

ko8e24
08-21-2009, 12:29 AM
I thought this was the coaches list, not GMs???:shrug:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

GAME

SET

MATCH!

u guys can't keep saying Red was better cuz he recruited people and drafted the best. this is not the job of a head coach, but rather, a general manager. it's like saying Red Auerbach is the best GM in history, but he is still the 2nd best coach behind the Zen Master.

GENERAL MANAGER

vs

COACH

two different things!

GspLAL
08-21-2009, 01:22 AM
I disagree with Phil Jackson being better than Red Auerbuch. As much as i hate anything out of Boston, I have to give the respect to Red Auerbuch. He didn't just coach those teams, he pretty much made them from scratch and then coached them. Hell, I read that he told Wilt Chamberlain to go to Harvard so he could draft him with territorial draft rights....but Wilt saw through that and went to Kansas. Red Auerbuch was cunning. Phil Jackson got lucky that he ended up a coach of 5 of the best players in NBA at their position. Rodman, Jordan, Pippen, Kobe and Shaq.

Making a team from scratch is not coaching, and for you to say he got lucky with players show's how little you know about coaching. Jordan/Pip and Kobe/Shaq weren't winning **** until Phil Jackson showed up and molded possibly the biggest egos in basketball ever to 9 championships.

ARMIN12NBA
08-21-2009, 01:33 AM

It is clear that this is the top 10 Coaches of All Time...Not Top 10 General Managers of All Time. Two different aspects of the game.

Odominator
08-21-2009, 01:35 AM
For Bagwell 368, can't believe you went there but hey, Lakers have consistently been significant in the NBA Playoffs/Finals where the Celtics come out of a nearly 20 years hiatus to win one Championship. Last time I checked, I don't ever remember any "Laker Fans" in Staples chanting "MVP" for Paul Pierce, but I can take you back to a recent memory when "Celtic Fans" chanted "MVP" for Kobe Bryant.

Call those "Laker Fans" bandwagon, homers, etc all you want, but they never rooted for an opposing player to be "MVP."

Shady66
08-21-2009, 01:58 AM
For Bagwell 368, can't believe you went there but hey, Lakers have consistently been significant in the NBA Playoffs/Finals where the Celtics come out of a nearly 20 years hiatus to win one Championship. Last time I checked, I don't ever remember any "Laker Fans" in Staples chanting "MVP" for Paul Pierce, but I can take you back to a recent memory when "Celtic Fans" chanted "MVP" for Kobe Bryant.

Call those "Laker Fans" bandwagon, homers, etc all you want, but they never rooted for an opposing player to be "MVP."

Those fans who chant MVP for kobe in different arenas are usually bandwagoners.

LakePackYank
08-21-2009, 02:05 AM
Those fans who chant MVP for kobe in different arenas are usually bandwagoners.

*cough celtics fans cough*.

But anyway at least fox sports actually got something right for once. (phil at #1)

Raps08-09 Champ
08-21-2009, 02:15 AM
I think Greg P should be third. He has done a lot in the small time he has been coach compared to other coaches.

DetroitRipCity
08-21-2009, 02:54 AM
10. Lenny Wilkens
9. Don Nelson
8. Jerry Sloan
7. John Kundla
6. Chuck Daly
5. Larry Brown
4. Greg Poppovich
3. Pat Riley
2. Red Auerbach
1. Phil Jackson

Honorable Mention: Rick Adelman, Billy Cunningham, Red Holzman, George Karl, Rudy Tomjanovich.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=9959472#sport=NBA%20Tipoff&photo=9955450

Thoughts?

x2 agree 100%

IDB Josh M
08-21-2009, 03:09 AM
There's no question in my mind that he is a great coach. Because I've seen guys who get great teams on paper and they butcher it up, you see? -Red Auerbach on Phil Jackson. -http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2088260

aNYer
08-21-2009, 03:53 AM

You give Red credit for being a great GM and then bring up the territorial draft. The teams got the players from their area and they were not really allowed to leave so when he got a player like Wilt, maybe the best player of all time, Wilt had to stay with them. In todays game with free agency and the way the draft works and also with more teams competing for the players, its harder to build a dynasty now. But as others have pointed out Phil has nothing to do with the roster and I don't think Phil is number 1 all time.

bigsams50
08-21-2009, 07:36 AM
*cough celtics fans cough*.

But anyway at least fox sports actually got something right for once. (phil at #1)

oh yea there are no laker bandwagon fans, stfu dude, lakers have more bandwagon fans than anybody.

SteveNash
08-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Greg Poppovich doesn't belong in the top 5.

Don Nelson doesn't even deserved to be mentioned.

DCSportsIsPain
08-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Several of these names didn't do anything other than manage to keep their jobs longer than they should have kept them. By that flawed logic, Gene Shue belongs on this list.

Corey
08-21-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm shocked that laker fans are even trying to make a case for Phil.

bagwell368
08-21-2009, 11:08 AM

NBA history didn't start in 1987 son. Head to head the Celts are 9-2 against the Lakers in the Finals. And Red was 5-0 as a Coach/GM against the Lakers, and 3-2 against them as a GM.

Phil is 0-1 against the Celts in the Finals. The Celts also have two more titles then the Lakers, and before you stat saying it was ancient history, the Lakers won 5 titles before the Celts got one. So we have 17 to your last 10.

So, it is a bad thing that the Celtics have gracious bright fans? Fooled you - hahaha. "Smart" guy there were about 1800 fans left in the building at the time, most of them in Laker Gold/Purple - guess you don't know so much after all. Our fans are serious, and understand the game, your fans in the Forum are movie trendies that want to be seen, some fans. Look at your baseball fans, show up in the bottom of the 2nd and leave at the top of the 7th, and root for the Sox whenever they show up.

bagwell368
08-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Several of these names didn't do anything other than manage to keep their jobs longer than they should have kept them. By that flawed logic, Gene Shue belongs on this list.

Quite so, some names are missing, others are, umm, not so good...

Gibby23
08-21-2009, 11:21 AM
NBA history didn't start in 1987 son. Head to head the Celts are 9-2 against the Lakers in the Finals. And Red was 5-0 as a Coach/GM against the Lakers, and 3-2 against them as a GM.

Phil is 0-1 against the Celts in the Finals. The Celts also have two more titles then the Lakers, and before you stat saying it was ancient history, the Lakers won 5 titles before the Celts got one. So we have 17 to your last 10.

So, it is a bad thing that the Celtics have gracious bright fans? Fooled you - hahaha. "Smart" guy there were about 1800 fans left in the building at the time, most of them in Laker Gold/Purple - guess you don't know so much after all. Our fans are serious, and understand the game, your fans in the Forum are movie trendies that want to be seen, some fans. Look at your baseball fans, show up in the bottom of the 2nd and leave at the top of the 7th, and root for the Sox whenever they show up.Look at your baseball team, we made the Bostom front office think JD Drew was good.

HiphopRelated
08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
how many teams were around when Auerbach coached?

and Riley is easily top 3

Odominator
08-21-2009, 01:04 PM

So, it is a bad thing that the Celtics have gracious bright fans? Fooled you - hahaha. "Smart" guy there were about 1800 fans left in the building at the time, most of them in Laker Gold/Purple - guess you don't know so much after all. Our fans are serious, and understand the game, your fans in the Forum are movie trendies that want to be seen, some fans. Look at your baseball fans, show up in the bottom of the 2nd and leave at the top of the 7th, and root for the Sox whenever they show up.

First off, why are you crediting me as a Laker fan by saying "your fans" etc.

Second, are you really comparing baseball vs basketball? What I stated was the "Lakers are more consistent." Red was a great coach in his time, but in the end, Phil Jackson has 10 rings, 6 with the Chicago Bulls and 4 with the Los Angeles Lakers, compared to 9 by Red.

Red had talent deep into his bench, and if you had placed any of Red's Teams versus Phil's teams, I am sure Red's team take the cake. Phil plays in an era where talent is diluted to 30 teams.

Phil Jackson may be 0-1 against the Celtics, but how many times have the Celtics made it to the Finals during Phil's coaching career and how many times have a Phil Jackson led team make it into the Finals? If the Celtics weren't irrelevant for the past 20 years, you can make an argument about Phil's record against the Celtics during the Finals.

It's funny how Boston Fans want to trash LA Fans when they are no more different from each other. Sure, LA Fans may come to a baseball game or basketball game late and leave early, but obviously you don't factor the Traffic in L.A. and why fans do the things they do.

Even when the Lakers were a bottom-feeding team in the mid 2000s, they had a sold out Staples, and not once have I ever remembered a Sold Out Staples chanting MVP for Paul Pierce. If Boston Fans were so dedicated, they would have sold out the Garden and prevent "Laker Fans wearing purple/gold" from occupying the arena.

------

Lastly, believe it or not, L.A. is a lot more diverse than Boston, so if there are a lot more Boston Fans in L.A. than L.A. Fans in Boston, it is understandable. There are a lot more Yankee Fans everywhere as well, so don't feel to special about Boston Fans being in L.A. Boston is not known for it's diversity, in fact, it's pretty popular for discriminating against non-whites.

(Oh, and even if you argue that the Celtics would have won the championship this year w/o an injured KG, the Laker's WOULD have won the year prior with a healthy Bynum and Ariza playing at a level that he played in the 08-09. Injuries are a part of the game)

tbone2171
08-21-2009, 01:16 PM
How bout Kevin McHal.. Dwayne Case.. Randy Wittm... woops

Raps08-09 Champ
08-21-2009, 01:24 PM
I would rather take Red over Phil because Phil had 4 of the best players in history with Jordan, Kobe, Shaq and Pippen to help him win.

But I don't mind he is first. Can't go wrong with either one.

bigsams50
08-21-2009, 08:25 PM

Second, are you really comparing baseball vs basketball? What I stated was the "Lakers are more consistent." Red was a great coach in his time, but in the end, Phil Jackson has 10 rings, 6 with the Chicago Bulls and 4 with the Los Angeles Lakers, compared to 9 by Red.

Red had talent deep into his bench, and if you had placed any of Red's Teams versus Phil's teams, I am sure Red's team take the cake. Phil plays in an era where talent is diluted to 30 teams.

Phil Jackson may be 0-1 against the Celtics, but how many times have the Celtics made it to the Finals during Phil's coaching career and how many times have a Phil Jackson led team make it into the Finals? If the Celtics weren't irrelevant for the past 20 years, you can make an argument about Phil's record against the Celtics during the Finals.

It's funny how Boston Fans want to trash LA Fans when they are no more different from each other. Sure, LA Fans may come to a baseball game or basketball game late and leave early, but obviously you don't factor the Traffic in L.A. and why fans do the things they do.

Even when the Lakers were a bottom-feeding team in the mid 2000s, they had a sold out Staples, and not once have I ever remembered a Sold Out Staples chanting MVP for Paul Pierce. If Boston Fans were so dedicated, they would have sold out the Garden and prevent "Laker Fans wearing purple/gold" from occupying the arena.

------

Lastly, believe it or not, L.A. is a lot more diverse than Boston, so if there are a lot more Boston Fans in L.A. than L.A. Fans in Boston, it is understandable. There are a lot more Yankee Fans everywhere as well, so don't feel to special about Boston Fans being in L.A. Boston is not known for it's diversity, in fact, it's pretty popular for discriminating against non-whites.

(Oh, and even if you argue that the Celtics would have won the championship this year w/o an injured KG, the Laker's WOULD have won the year prior with a healthy Bynum and Ariza playing at a level that he played in the 08-09. Injuries are a part of the game)

look at your sig, wtf is that about? your callin all of boston racist?

Ripper Gein
08-21-2009, 08:40 PM

------

I nominate this post of the year:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::cla p:

Ripper Gein
08-21-2009, 08:43 PM
look at your sig, wtf is that about? your callin all of boston racist?

If the burning cross fits........

Toenail Clipper
08-21-2009, 08:46 PM

How many assistants does phil have? Red? None

was phil ever a gm? Make trades? Take draft choices? Assistant trainer? Traveling secretary?

Phil is smart, and dirty (i played ball against him in 1987 for about 12 hours in one week), but he's no red, just a guy that can take great players and not **** it up. Wow.... Oh yeah, and he's in la la land where they are still licking their wounds over all the *** wuppings the celts have dealt them in the finals - when red was coaching or the gm. Sour grapes is the only logic that exists for this "choice".

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuureeeeeee...

bigsams50
08-21-2009, 08:47 PM
again with that false sig, toenail, god get over it

JMKnick33
08-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Red Holzman only being an Honorable mention is a JOKE! He lead the Knicks to their only 2 championships against Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain! He emphasized team basketball, and defense.. two things many coaches neglect in todays game!

Another important little tidbit, Phil Jackson is a great coach today because of Red Holzman. People forget, or never knew that Phil Jackson was injured one year and was asked to play player/coach on the bench for the Knicks! This is when he realized he has some coaching skills in him. If Phil Jackson is number one, then Red Holzman is definitely in top 10!

JMKnick33
08-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Holy crap, I just realized that when I opened the thread (2 views ago), it was the 613rd thread view. WHOA...

For those who don't know, Red Holzman has his number of Knicks victories hanging on the MSG rafters, which is coincidentally.. 613! Crazy how I went on to defend his case as the 613rd thread view.

soundjunkies2
08-29-2009, 12:21 AM
again with that false sig, toenail, god get over it

haha whats the deal with you bringing up other peoples sigs when it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread?

TheMicrowave
08-29-2009, 12:27 AM

Your being a homer and a hater. You don't need to talk smack on Phil to get your point across. It is alright you think it is Red, but don't hate on Phil Jackson.

TheMicrowave
08-29-2009, 12:30 AM
When it comes to coaching it is all about how many championships you have.

Phil has the most. He is the best coach of all time.

He did it in different decades with different players.

He had Jordan, but when Jordan retired for a year, the Bulls the still won 55 games!
He went to LA took Shaq in and help make him the most dominant center of all time.
Kobe Shaq 3 rings.
Now he built another team around KB and just won the championship. He may even win more rings.

Red did it with Bill Russell and CO 9 years straight? That is called total domination.

_KB24_
08-29-2009, 12:38 AM

Calm down there buddy. I wouldn't expect someone thats been here as long as you to make such a ********, "12 year old" post. The article is on the best coach, not GM, which is HANDS DOWN Red Auerbach.

Kobe4Life
08-29-2009, 12:49 AM
Phil at One, Thats the most accurate part about the list, and Red 2nd is pretty legit too. Phil is a legend, coached the two best players of all time. Phil is the man :clap:and bagwell368 were not upset about the boston lost, we just won and we will win for the next 3 years. Not to mention it sounds like your just pissed off cause were so good, armored with the best coach/player in the league. Enjoy next season, whats your teams age avg...84?

Kings Faithful
08-29-2009, 01:19 AM
Coaching is overrated. They take too much credit for success and too much heat for failure. You could give eric musslemen KG, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen and all of a sudden he is consider "coach of the year material" only to get fired 2 seasons like alot of "top tier" coaches these days. Jackson may or may not be a good coach, unfortunately I doubt he will ever attempt to coach a team that doesn't have the best player in the league on it, so we will never know.