PDA

View Full Version : Will Bass be able to decently guard LeBron if the two meet in the playoffs?

mrblisterdundee
08-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Cleveland picked up Shaq to counter Dwight, and I'm pretty sure that the Magic picked up Bass to get more post scoring and to mitigate LeBron's presence. LeBron is 6'8" and 250 pounds. Bass is 6'8" and 250 pounds. Can Bass do a decent job guarding LeBron?

UofA
08-20-2009, 07:28 PM
nobody can

bigsams50
08-20-2009, 07:29 PM
wouldnt pietrus gaurd him? he did pretty good last time

bigsams50
nobody can

agreed

heyman321
Nope

Raph12
08-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Nope but Pietrus sure as hell will, he made life difficult for Lebron before, he (and Barnes) can do it again

Chronz
08-20-2009, 07:40 PM
They wouldnt put him on Bron and the Cavs wouldnt start him at the 4 so how would they matchup?

JordansBulls
08-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Cleveland picked up Shaq to counter Dwight, and I'm pretty sure that the Magic picked up Bass to get more post scoring and to mitigate LeBron's presence. LeBron is 6'8" and 250 pounds. Bass is 6'8" and 250 pounds. Can Bass do a decent job guarding LeBron?

Vince will.

DerekRE_3
08-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Just because they are the same height and weight...doesn't mean he can guard him. Lebron is WAY quicker than Bass.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 07:42 PM
no, Bass isn't a perimeter defender. And how did Pietrus do a good job on him? LeBron gave him almost 39 ppg on 45% shooting. The rest of his crappy team didn't show up.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Vince will.

I smell 45 ppg then. Cmon.

Raph12
08-20-2009, 07:51 PM
no, Bass isn't a perimeter defender. And how did Pietrus do a good job on him? LeBron gave him almost 39 ppg on 45% shooting. The rest of his crappy team didn't show up.

Lmao 90% of LBJ's points came from the freethrow line and how did he get there? by bulldozing his way in, should be offensive foul everytime. Pietrus makes scoring off the charity stripe difficult for Lebron. He shot 51%, commited 1.5 turnovers against the Pistons, 56%, 1.75 turnovers against the Hawks and shot only 48.7% against the Magic, 27.9% from the arc, while committing 4.17 turnovers per game. How is that not good defense? He is after all Lebron James, that is the best that anyone (besides Kobe:D) can play him.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Bass is way to slow.

Look for Peitrus, Barnes and Carter to guard him the most.

Mavrix
08-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Hell no. I've watched every game Bass has played and he's atrocious on defense. He's a good offensive weapon when given minutes and a decent rebounder but he has NEVER been known for defense.

FlawlessKB24
08-20-2009, 08:07 PM

this is exactly what i've been saying.

slaker619
08-20-2009, 08:15 PM
The Only Person The Was Able To Guard Lebron Properly Waz None He Iz An Unstolable Man Unless Jordan Crawford Comes To Be Dunking On Lebron lol

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Lmao 90% of LBJ's points came from the freethrow line and how did he get there? by bulldozing his way in, should be offensive foul everytime. Pietrus makes scoring off the charity stripe difficult for Lebron. He shot 51%, commited 1.5 turnovers against the Pistons, 56%, 1.75 turnovers against the Hawks and shot only 48.7% against the Magic, 27.9% from the arc, while committing 4.17 turnovers per game. How is that not good defense? He is after all Lebron James, that is the best that anyone (besides Kobe:D) can play him.

it doesn't matter how he got those points. And they are fouls when the ref calls them.
And that is fine that you show his bad stats. He scored 39 ppg, on decent shooting. The rest of the cavs had no input outside occasionally. They lost the series because of this.
He killed the Magic. The rest of his team, not so much

Raph12
08-20-2009, 10:58 PM
it doesn't matter how he got those points. And they are fouls when the ref calls them.
And that is fine that you show his bad stats. He scored 39 ppg, on decent shooting. The rest of the cavs had no input outside occasionally. They lost the series because of this.
He killed the Magic. The rest of his team, not so much

He didn't kill anyone, Magic killed him, which is why he left holding back tears. 1v5 won't work for anyone in the playoffs except AI in 2001, but Lebron isn't AI and the Magic isn't the Pacers, the Raptors or the Bucks

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 11:07 PM
He didn't kill anyone, Magic killed him, which is why he left holding back tears. 1v5 won't work for anyone in the playoffs except AI in 2001, but Lebron isn't AI and the Magic isn't the Pacers, the Raptors or the Bucks

He dominated the Magic. They were able to literally contain anyone else. I understand you are sticking up for your team, and the Magic did kill the Cavs, but LeBron was unstoppable most the series

WITZ
08-20-2009, 11:13 PM
I doubt bass would be playing SF or guarding Lebron for any reason since he would either:

1)get is ankles broken
2)wouldn't be able to keep up with him LBJ to slow.

Byronicle
08-20-2009, 11:25 PM
No Bass is a PF for a reason...because he is not quick enough to be a SF therefore he cannot guard a great SF like Lebron

sNaKeS
08-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Bass would be on the bench first of all because lewis dominates varejao and pietrus or barnes will start and come off the bench to guard lebron with the occasional vince carter trying to guard him.

If we have bass guarding him then I'm a little scared. Whoever said he is not a perimeter defender is probably right, but lebron is not a good perimeter shooter, at least not yet. He got most of his points by driving and getting to the foul line. He will probably do the same next year also if the magic and cavs meet again because the magic are simply better than the cavs at every position except for the SF position.

mavs&colts
08-21-2009, 12:32 AM
Lmfao lebron would crush brandon bass, LEWIS, vc, & pietrus<----(didnt lebron average like 35 ppg per game against him?) you would jst have to do him like everyone does kobe & let him get his & stop the rest!!

bbcmillionaire
08-21-2009, 12:49 AM
hahahahaha are you serious? could bargnani stop shaq? lmao wow

Raph12
08-21-2009, 01:00 AM
He dominated the Magic. They were able to literally contain anyone else. I understand you are sticking up for your team, and the Magic did kill the Cavs, but LeBron was unstoppable most the series

Lebron dominates everyone, the only players I've seen shutdown Lebron is Bruce Bowen 2+ years ago, Ron Artest and Kobe Bryant, otherwise, everyone else just does a respectable job. Pietrus held him under 50% (48.7) from the field, under 30% (29.7) from the arc, while forcing him to commit over 4 turnovers (4.17). That is as good as any non-elite defender can play him.

johnnychan
08-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Yeah Bass is more of a low post defender. I don't think he could guard any small forward that well really.

JerzeyFresh
08-21-2009, 01:54 AM
Lance Bass?

vash9
08-21-2009, 04:29 AM
Well, at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter how many points Lebron scores on Pietrus, VC, or Bass. Lebron could score 65 points for all the world cares..

because the Magics usually win at the end anyway. Sure, Lebron can't be contained, but hell, the rest of his team can and they can't contain anyone.

it's 5v1.

Trouble87
08-21-2009, 10:03 AM
No, Bass doesn't have the quickness to keep up with LBJ

only time Bass can effectively guard LBJ is in the post

Hawkeye15
08-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Lebron dominates everyone, the only players I've seen shutdown Lebron is Bruce Bowen 2+ years ago, Ron Artest and Kobe Bryant, otherwise, everyone else just does a respectable job. Pietrus held him under 50% (48.7) from the field, under 30% (29.7) from the arc, while forcing him to commit over 4 turnovers (4.17). That is as good as any non-elite defender can play him.

first off, you can't shut LeBron down. You can force him to have an occasional bad game, or even a few bad games. You can't stop Kobe, Wade, LeBron, etc for long
And those % are good for a playoff series. 49% from the field is very good actually.
But whatever, Orlando was far better as a team than the Cavs, are probably are still better than the Cavs. If LeBron goes MJ for a series on them, the Cavs can win I am sure, but he actually needs a bit of help

ttam68
08-21-2009, 10:24 AM

How are you pretty sure of that? I haven't heard that anywhere and they play different positions.

Bass is a low-post banger and energy guy, Lebron is a superstar wing. When will they be matched up?

Sly Guy
08-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Vince will.

ouch.

Carey
08-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Not a chance, doesnt have the foot speed.....Pietrus did a great job in last years playoffs, he'll get that assignment again

Gibby23
08-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Rashard, Vince, Petrius, and Barns will take turns.

td0tsfinest
08-21-2009, 11:24 AM
can pigs fly?

nbaguy123
08-21-2009, 11:34 AM
no, he doesnt have the speed or footwork to hold lebron back. then again only a very few can slow down lebron

drobe86
08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
lol... Is this thread serious? Brandon Bass has as good a chance as stopping the king as I do.

Raph12
08-21-2009, 12:05 PM
first off, you can't shut LeBron down. You can force him to have an occasional bad game, or even a few bad games. You can't stop Kobe, Wade, LeBron, etc for long
And those % are good for a playoff series. 49% from the field is very good actually.
But whatever, Orlando was far better as a team than the Cavs, are probably are still better than the Cavs. If LeBron goes MJ for a series on them, the Cavs can win I am sure, but he actually needs a bit of help

Man you're still not getting the point, Pietrus held him under 50% which Lebron easily eclipses against most defenders, held him under 30% from the arc which Lebron easily eclipses against most defenders and he made him commit 4.17 turnovers, that less than 2 assists per turnover, meaning Pietrus' constant harassment does have some affect on James. The thread says "Will Bass be able to decently guard Lebron..." and I say Pietrus could, which implies he could decently guard Lebron. Now if you think he can't do that then you obviously are on another planet and this convo is over.

Btw Bowen held Lebron to 22ppg (never scored more than 25), 35.6% from the field, 20% from the arc, whilst committing 5.75tpg in the 2007 Finals, I think that should be considered, shutdown. This year against the Lakers, Kobe held him to 19.3ppg (never scored more than 23), 31.1% from the field, 23.1% from the arc, committing 3.5tpg, which I think should be considered, shutdown. This year Artest held Lebron down to 24ppg (never scored more than 27), 40.9% from the field, 25% from the arc, commiting 5tpg, that should also be considered, shutdown

These defenders can shutdown Lebron, sure he could force him points in, but not efficiently. I follow the Cavs also and I've seen him play these teams and let's just say, it's not pretty.

Hawkeye15
08-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Man you're still not getting the point, Pietrus held him under 50% which Lebron easily eclipses against most defenders, held him under 30% from the arc which Lebron easily eclipses against most defenders and he made him commit 4.17 turnovers, that less than 2 assists per turnover, meaning Pietrus' constant harassment does have some affect on James. The thread says "Will Bass be able to decently guard Lebron..." and I say Pietrus could, which implies he could decently guard Lebron. Now if you think he can't do that then you obviously are on another planet and this convo is over.

Btw Bowen held Lebron to 22ppg (never scored more than 25), 35.6% from the field, 20% from the arc, whilst committing 5.75tpg in the 2007 Finals, I think that should be considered, shutdown. This year against the Lakers, Kobe held him to 19.3ppg (never scored more than 23), 31.1% from the field, 23.1% from the arc, committing 3.5tpg, which I think should be considered, shutdown. This year Artest held Lebron down to 24ppg (never scored more than 27), 40.9% from the field, 25% from the arc, commiting 5tpg, that should also be considered, shutdown

These defenders can shutdown Lebron, sure he could force him points in, but not efficiently. I follow the Cavs also and I've seen him play these teams and let's just say, it's not pretty.

No. I get it. And 39 ppg on 49% shooting is very efficient.
Those others, you are referring to great team defenses as well, and then picking specific games. Of which I already covered. I guess what you define as shutting someone down is much different than I do.
Every player has bad games. The series against SA, Bowen is not the only responsible party. The whole team is.

And the point still stands, you can occasionally make a guy like Lebron or Kobe have a bad game, and sometimes even a series. But, you are not going to stop them over the long run. In about 10 years, check his numbers against Kobe, or Bowen, or anyone for that matter. They will look just fine
I remember people who said Craig Ehlo did a great job on MJ. haha, mmkay

Raps08-09 Champ
08-21-2009, 01:52 PM
How is 19, 24 and 22 shut down?

Raps08-09 Champ
08-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Really?

I would think winning 66 games makes you the top team.

Gibby23
08-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Really?

I would think winning 66 games makes you the top team.

No it just makes you a team that was good in the regular season. Not so good in the playoffs because being One-Dimensional doesn't cut it there.

Ace33Bone
08-21-2009, 02:47 PM
No NO NOOOOOOO. First of all why would Bass guard him and Pietrus did a decent job last year even though LBJ still put up his number he made him work... If you put bass on him ur just going to give LBJ easy baskets because he is not quick enough to guard LBJ... Delete this thread