PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Hawks offered 4 yr/$60 to Joe Johnson

JordansBulls
08-20-2009, 07:13 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13629

Mulling Joe Johnson: The Atlanta Hawks are believed to have put a four-year, $60 plus million extension offer on the table for Joe Johnson. He is considering the deal according to sources.

The Free Agent Class of 2010 is going to be significant, not just because more than 131 players will be without a contract, but because 14 NBA teams will have enough salary cap space to really shift the balance of power and Joe Johnson could be the biggest name in the bunch. Sure, LeBron James is going to do the dance, as will Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, but the odds any of those guys leave their current markets is fairly slim.

Johnson on the other hand is not the singular star of the Hawks, and the Hawks are still not a major market draw in the NBA they are getting better with 14 national TV games this season, but they are still among the NBA's second tier of rising talent.

Johnson could be the attainable jewel of the 2010 class, which is why the Hawks struck early with a contract offer, but like LeBron, Wade and Bosh Johnson may make his home team sweat this one out.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-20-2009, 07:16 PM
That's it?

I think he is worth at least 17 million.

WITZ
08-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Best Atlanta try an get him locked up this off-season before next years fiasco.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't think Joe is worth $15 million a year, but, if they want to keep him, they need to do this. He may very well stay with them anyways, but why allow competition to sign him? I personally hope he says no, and the Wolves offer him a deal next summer, haha. Ahhh, I can dream!

Kdirt
08-20-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't think Joe is worth $15 million a year, but, if they want to keep him, they need to do this. He may very well stay with them anyways, but why allow competition to sign him? I personally hope he says no, and the Wolves offer him a deal next summer, haha. Ahhh, I can dream!

Your crazy, hes the 3rd best SG in the league. Kobe, Wade,..... Joe Johnson. If Kobe and Wade are worth max dollars then Joe is worth atleast 15 million. He can get max dollars if he has a big year.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Your crazy, hes the 3rd best SG in the league. Kobe, Wade,..... Joe Johnson. If Kobe and Wade are worth max dollars then Joe is worth atleast 15 million. He can get max dollars if he has a big year.

well, that is a different story for me. I personally think only a few guys are worth "max" money. I think most the league is overpaid, haha, and that is why a lot of teams can't compete, they have stupid contracts.
And I would put Roy with him too. Easily

FlawlessKB24
08-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Brandon Roy is better and 3 years younger, BUT, if he's worth the max, Johnson deserves a little more than this

blah-blah
08-20-2009, 08:00 PM

i know i personally think he should turn down that offer.cuz i think hes worth close to the max

LakePackYank
08-20-2009, 08:00 PM
i think johnson is worth more then this but it's good that atlanta is looking to keep him.

lorenz00
08-20-2009, 08:02 PM
15m a year? hes going to w8

NYtilIdie
08-20-2009, 08:15 PM
I can see why only 15 mil he hit his peak back in 06 with 25 ppg and has only averaged 21 ppg the past two seasons. I don't see him getting much better then he already is.

IBleedPurple
08-20-2009, 08:29 PM
He wouldn't get more than 16-17 elsewhere, so 15 mil a year isn't bad at all for staying put

JordansBulls
08-21-2009, 12:26 AM
15m a year? hes going to w8

:confused:

ko8e24
08-21-2009, 12:31 AM

no, its Brandon Roy, and he also has more room to grow than Johnson, who I don't think is gonna get better necessarily. He is what he is at his peak right now.

HuRRiCaNeS324
08-21-2009, 12:43 AM
I doubt he accepts because 1) its not enough money imo and 2) he should look at other possibilities next year.

Trouble87
08-21-2009, 12:55 AM
thats not bad for a guy who lacks the intensity needed to be a true star

Johnson should take it

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 01:54 AM
^Johnson is a legit top 10 or 15 player in the league. How is that not a true star?

I mean I have never heard anyone say Granger or Durant have good intensity but people still say they are stars.

secterm
08-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Great offer by Atlanta management. 4 yrs/60mill is both a manageable deal and a very reasonable price to get their best player locked up. If Atlanta management can pull this off, maybe it will show some GM's (Bryan Colangelo) that staring negotiations at a bit of a lower number doesn't hurt.

vash9
08-21-2009, 04:42 AM
no, its Brandon Roy, and he also has more room to grow than Johnson, who I don't think is gonna get better necessarily. He is what he is at his peak right now.

I also agree. BRoy is about 3 years younger, and he has much more room to get better. But as for Johnson, i think he's reached the ceiling now. He's great, don't get me wrong, but i don't think he can get any better than he is now.

But if they feel that this is what may keep him in Atlanta, then good for them.

Mavrix
08-21-2009, 05:08 AM
^Johnson is a legit top 10 or 15 player in the league. How is that not a true star?

I mean I ave never heard anyone say Granger or Durant have god intensity but people still say they are stars.

I can name 15 better off the top of my head

Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Dirk
Duncan
D.Howard
Yao Ming
Chris Paul
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Brandon Roy
KG
Paul Pierce
Chauncey Billups
Tony Parker

JordansBulls
08-21-2009, 01:02 PM

Johnson should take it

He isn't a 1st tier star, but he is a 2nd tier star.

2_Trill
08-21-2009, 01:13 PM
over paid...

asandhu23
08-21-2009, 01:15 PM
lol looking at the thread title i thought he was offered only 60 bucks...hahahahahaah

td0tsfinest
08-21-2009, 01:53 PM
wow 131 players looking for a contract.

That's about 5 players per team.

I did not know that, there's going to be a lot of new faces next year.

It's less than a year away. Someone should make an official countdown to 2010 thread :p

td0tsfinest
08-21-2009, 01:56 PM

Johnson should take it

I agree. He has the skill set of a great player but their a lot of the intangibles he's missing. I've always looked at him as a water downed Lebron. While LBJ will give you 30 6 n 6, JJ will get you 20 5 n 5.

JOSKOMANG4
08-21-2009, 02:35 PM
I say he stays...

1) Atlanta has a great roster full of young talent; along with veterans.

2) rather than subtracting, they added this offseason: Resigned Bibby, traded for Jamal Crawford, and signed veteran Joe Smith.

3) Joe Johnson is their franchise. I honestly believe with the moves that atlanta has made, Johnson will re-upt.

4) The only team that I see offering Joe Johnson more than 15 mill a year are the Knicks; especially if NY doesnt get Bosh, Wade, or James. I do see Johnson resigning(4yr 60mill).

The only thing.. for Joe Johnson's sake, that sucks about this season is that regardless of the moves that Atlanta has made, their still,at best, the 4th best team in the eastern conference; Cleveland, Orlando, and Boston. To be quite honest, their arent a guaranteed 4th best team! If healthy, the Wizards will make a big run this season, as well as Toronto and their plethora of off-season moves this season.

Eastern Conference ranks:

1) Boston
2) Magic
3) Cavs
4) Hawks(BARELY)
5) Raptors
6) Wizards
7) Pistons
8) Heat

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I can name 15 better off the top of my head

Kobe
Lebron
Wade
Dirk
Duncan
D.Howard
Yao Ming
Chris Paul
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Brandon Roy
KG
Paul Pierce
Chauncey Billups
Tony Parker

I take Johnson over Peirce but whatever you say.

Wasn't Johnson above Peirce in MVP voting last year?

Ace33Bone
08-21-2009, 02:51 PM
They better offer him whatever they need to to keep him there because this guy is too good of a player to let him walk away from your franchise

king4day
08-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Smart move.
He's not going to get this much next year. 15m a year goes to franchise players. He's not that. The Hawks are filled with stars, but no superstars.
Given the cap will be going down next year, if he's smart he'll take this.

theimortalone
08-21-2009, 07:08 PM
That is a pretty good offer for JJ.