PDA

View Full Version : PSD Western Conference Semifinals Round (#1 LA Lakers vs. #4 Dallas)

JordansBulls
08-20-2009, 04:27 PM
LA LAKERS Have Homecourt Advantage in this Series

SEMIFINALS

LA Lakers vs. Dallas
Winner: Vote here!

--------------------------------------
From now on, each poll will have a voting time of 7 days. This applies to each matchup until an NBA Champion has been determined.

--------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST ROUND

LA Lakers vs. Phoenix
Winner: LA Lakers, 4-0 (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398263)

Dallas vs. Portland
Winner: Dallas, 4-2 (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398267)

Denver vs Utah
Winner: Denver, 4-2 (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398264)

San Antonio vs New Orleans
Winner: San Antonio, 4-1 (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398266)

The total of votes for each team will be counted (all 4 options together) and the team with the higher total wins. Eventually, the result will be the option with the most votes (out of 4 options) of the team that has the most votes altogether.

Example:

If the option which has been voted most out of all 8 in the poll is "Memphis in 6" (20 votes), it doesn't necessarily mean that Memphis has won. If Memphis has 50 votes (Memphis in 4, 5, 6 & 7 altogether), but New Orleans has 55 votes (New Orleans in 4, 5, 6 & 7 altogether), New Orleans is the winner, although it didn't have the most votes in any of its 4 single options. The option with the most votes of the winner (New Orleans) is the final result.

Let's say:
Memphis in 4 = 10 votes
Memphis in 5 = 5 votes
Memphis in 6 = 20 votes
Memphis in 7 = 15 votes
Total = 50 votes

Now lets say New Orleans has
New Orleans in 4 = 12
New Orleans in 5 = 13
New Orleans in 6 = 17
New Orleans in 7 = 13
Total = 55 votes
The winner would be New Orleans in 6 since they would have the most votes total overall and thus the option for them that was voted the most is New Orleans in 6 would become the final result.

WESTERN CONFERENCE - Regular Season

Click the team name for poll results. The 8 best records in each conference have been determined. According to league rules, the seedings are as follows

(1) LA Lakers (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395770) - Pacific Division
(2) San Antonio (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396027) - Southwest Divison
(3) Denver (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396252) - Northwest Divison
(4) Dallas (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396712) - Southwest Divison
(5) Portland (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397089) - Northwest Division
(6) Utah (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397449) - Northwest Division
(7) New Orleans (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397718) - Southwest Divison
(8) Phoenix (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398007) - Pacific Division

BlondeBomber41
08-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Im a Dallas fan, but i still went LA in 7. The Mavs last year played the Lakers really well and have only gotten better, but so have the Lakers.

Gibby23
08-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Lakers in 5. Lakers have better bigs and the best player in this series. Lamar Odaom always does Marion dirty.

SidTheKid87
08-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Hate the lakers but I'm not an idiot...lakers in 6

ARMIN12NBA
08-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Lakers in 5. The Lakers interior will prove to be way too much for Dallas. Not to mention that Kobe always gives them fits.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I say Lakers in 6.

This is interesting actually.

Bynum>Dampier (Although Bynum hasn't shown me that he can provide in the playoffs consistantly)
Gasol<Dirk(Gasol will give him fits but Dirk is Dirk and will find a way to score)
Artest=Marion(I mean they aren't as good on offense and are amazing on defense. Marion will probably guard Kobe and Artest guarding Howard. I call them even)
Kobe>Howard(Kobe. Enough said)
Fisher<Kidd(Both are up there in age and both are successful veterans but Kidd is can still be that 10, 8 and 7 guy)

Lakersfan2483
08-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Lakers in 5 games. LA presents too many matchup problems for Dallas.

Reddd
08-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I say Lakers in 5

ARMIN12NBA
08-20-2009, 05:17 PM
I say Lakers in 6.

This is interesting actually.

Bynum>Dampier (Although Bynum hasn't shown me that he can provide in the playoffs consistantly)
Gasol<Dirk(Gasol will give him fits but Dirk is Dirk and will find a way to score)
Artest=Marion(I mean they aren't as good on offense and are amazing on defense. Marion will probably guard Kobe and Artest guarding Howard. I call them even)
Kobe>Howard(Kobe. Enough said)
Fisher<Kidd(Both are up there in age and both are successful veterans but Kidd is can still be that 10, 8 and 7 guy)

Gasol has actually consistently owned Dirk in their matchups. Dirk has a hard time dealing with Gasol in the post and Gasol has the length and quickness defensively to keep up with Dirk on the perimeter.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Gasol has actually consistently owned Dirk in their matchups. Dirk has a hard time dealing with Gasol in the post and Gasol has the length and quickness defensively to keep up with Dirk on the perimeter.

Now that I look at it, you are right.

But we probably gotta give the point to Dirk because he is the better player.

LakersSaintsLSU
08-20-2009, 05:30 PM
sweep...u guys need to get off the mavs nutts,the leader of their team is a big softy

BlondeBomber41
08-20-2009, 05:36 PM

BS, Dirk use to eat the Grizzlies up everytime when he was a Grizzlie.

Not to mention Gasol never guards Dirk, so that comparison is dumb.

Gibby23
08-20-2009, 05:40 PM

Who guards Dirk? Bynum? I know Odom does when he comes off the bench, but to start the game it was Pau last year.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Lakers in 4!Kobe is always on fire against the Mavs.

Jays Claw
08-20-2009, 05:43 PM
I picked the Los Angeles Lakers to win in five games.

todu82
08-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Lakers in 6.

still1ballin
08-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Lake show in 5

ARMIN12NBA
08-20-2009, 06:05 PM

I'm talking Gasol as a Laker. He owns Dirk.

And yes, Gasol does guard Dirk.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Lakers in 6. They are waaaaay too tough inside for Dallas.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm talking Gasol as a Laker. He owns Dirk.

And yes, Gasol does guard Dirk.

surprisingly, Gasol does a decent job on him. I think Pau's length is a factor obviously, but I am rather surprised that Dirk doesn't win that matchup more often.

Mavrix
08-20-2009, 07:01 PM
If Dallas picks up Kaman or Camby come Sept.9, then Dallas in 7

Otherwise LA in 6

Raph12
08-20-2009, 07:03 PM
LA in 5 baby, Mavs can't keep up IMO

lakers4sho
08-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Lakers in 5. Frontcourt too much for Dallas.

bahama0811
08-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Sweep for the Lakers

PrettyBoyJ
08-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Lakers In 5.. Kobe 62 points in 3 qtrs. Enuff said

Sportfan
08-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Lakers in 7

Sportfan
08-20-2009, 07:41 PM
I think people are giving the mavs not enough credit. People talk about frontcourt being the main issue Who knows with all the injuries how bynum performs. Dirk will score on Pau and put up 20 points. And they have marion if they need more post defense help

BlondeBomber41
08-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah the last reason the Mavs are gonna lose to the Lakers is because of the frontcourt. They have a MVP PF and Gooden/Dampier can combine to at least produce what Bynum gives.

I am way more worried about Kobe Bryant than anyone on the frontcourt.

Bruno
08-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Lakers in 5. The Mavs have gotten a lot better but they have never been able to stop Kobe. Lamar and Pau do a good job on Dirk, and Artest is too physical for Howard and Marion. The Mavs take a game at home because Jason Terry and Dirk will go off at least once.

LakePackYank
08-20-2009, 08:22 PM
lakers in 5

jimbobjarree
08-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Lakers.5.easy

Raps18-19 Champ
08-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Lakers in 5. Frontcourt too much for Dallas.

How is the front court too much? Dirk and Marion can probably hold Pau and Odom.

MackSnackWrap
08-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Lakers In 5

Ebbs
08-20-2009, 10:41 PM

Umm no he hasnt Dirk has played very well against the lakers in the recent past and pau has struggled to stay with him.

Also ill take a Dallas team in six due too an arrogance and since of entitlement ive seen from LA. They would lose for the same reason they almost blew it to a Yao/ Mcgrady less houston team there over confident. And an added blow is now there not as hungry.

IversonIsKrazy
08-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Lake Show in 5. gasol might be one of the best defenders for Dirk. Hes quick and soft, just like Dirk.

lakers4sho
08-20-2009, 11:36 PM
I think people are giving the mavs not enough credit. People talk about frontcourt being the main issue Who knows with all the injuries how bynum performs. Dirk will score on Pau and put up 20 points. And they have marion if they need more post defense help

Who knows maybe Dirk suffered a catastrophic injury? Who knows maybe Kobe got ejected in the crucial game of the series? Who knows maybe Artest started *****ing out and shot airballs from 60 feet? Who knows if the Mavs even made the playoffs at all??

See the fault of that logic? :rolleyes:

dre1990
08-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Lakers in 6

Lone Maverick
08-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Love the Mavs but as I haven't seen this new incarnation of the team play gotta go with the defending champs. Maybe 5-6 =/

mavs&colts
08-21-2009, 12:11 AM
WOW!!! a "SWEEP"??? i THINK U GUYS ARE GIVING LA A BIT 2 MUCH CREDIT AFTER GOIN 7 WITH A MCGRADY-LESS & INJURED YAO ROCKETS TEAM, IM PRETTY SURE DALLAS IS BETTER THAN LAST YEARS ROCKETS TEAM, ESPECIALLY AFTER THE ADDITIONS. DONT GET ME WRONG LA HAS HAD THE UPPER HAND BY SILENCING DIRK AVERAGING A MEER 17.7, BUT HE'S NOT THE ISSUE AGAINST THE LAKERS, jET IS BY AVERAGING 26.3 OFF THE BENCH!!!:facepalm: BUT SINCE THERE CHAMPS UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE iM RESPECTABLY GONNA GO WIT THE LAKERS IN 6 MAYBE 7

jimm120
08-21-2009, 12:16 AM
If the Mavs are going to win this series, it'd have to be a "quick" series of 5 or 6 games.

The longer it goes on, the easier it will be for the Lakers to come back. So, IF the Lakers don't go and win 4-1 (most probably) and the Mavs get a few early wins, the only way they'll beat the lakers is 4-1 or 4-2. The longer the series goes on, the higher the probability of the Lakers winning.

ARMIN12NBA
08-21-2009, 12:28 AM
How is the front court too much? Dirk and Marion can probably hold Dirk and Odom.

:facepalm:

Diggy_2
08-21-2009, 12:39 AM
lakers in game 6

ARMIN12NBA
08-21-2009, 12:42 AM
Umm no he hasnt Dirk has played very well against the lakers in the recent past and pau has struggled to stay with him.

No. Dirk averaged 18 PPG on 34% shooting against the Lakers. He also averaged 8 RPG.

Pau averaged 20 PPG on 68% shooting against the Mavs. He also averaged 9 RPG.

Also ill take a Dallas team in six due too an arrogance and since of entitlement ive seen from LA.

What arrogance and sense of entitlement you have seen from LA? They haven't played a single game since the NBA Finals. How would you know whether or not they are arrogant? If the season already started and they took a few games off, then your argument is legitimate. At this point, it is pure speculation and fallacy.

They would lose for the same reason they almost blew it to a Yao/ Mcgrady less houston team there over confident.

Not really.

1. Yao played in 3 of the games.
2. McGrady wasn't there...So what? Up until the Lakers struggled against the Rockets, everybody was saying that McGrady not being there was a blessing for that team. Of course, once the Lakers started to struggle, everybody started saying the Rockets could use him. :rolleyes: McGrady hurt that team earlier on in the year and they started to blossom when he got injured. Fact.
3. The Lakers problem wasn't overconfidence. Their problem was a speedy PG in Brooks who Fisher couldn't stop and the tough muscle inside in Hayes and Landry. Not to mention outside shooting in Battier, Brooks, etc. The Mavs have none of this really.

BTW--Although the Rockets series was a slight misstep, they dominated the WCF and NBA Finals as they found their groove as a championship squad. When the Celtics went to two straight 7 game series against sub-par competition and nearly losing the Game 7 (remember, the Lakers dominated their Game 7), people forgot all about that and called the Celtics an all-time great team. The fact is that the Celtics found their groove in the ECF and the Lakers found their groove in the WCF.

And an added blow is now there not as hungry.

PURE speculation...That is all that statement happens to be. PURE speculation. In fact, I would argue differently. With an added piece in Artest extremely hungry for a title and this year being the last year in Phil's contract, the Lakers can possibly be even MORE motivated because they a) want to get Artest that championship taste, b) want to send Phil off as a winner, and c) they would want to accomplish a great feat in a back to back title runs.

Storch
08-21-2009, 12:43 AM
I'll give the mavs a game in dallas just to be nice

bigsams50
08-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Who knows maybe Dirk suffered a catastrophic injury? Who knows maybe Kobe got ejected in the crucial game of the series? Who knows maybe Artest started *****ing out and shot airballs from 60 feet? Who knows if the Mavs even made the playoffs at all??

See the fault of that logic? :rolleyes:

you cant discredit his comment about bynum because bynum is injury prone.

Ebbs
08-21-2009, 11:30 AM
No. Dirk averaged 18 PPG on 34% shooting against the Lakers. He also averaged 8 RPG.

Pau averaged 20 PPG on 68% shooting against the Mavs. He also averaged 9 RPG.

What arrogance and sense of entitlement you have seen from LA? They haven't played a single game since the NBA Finals. How would you know whether or not they are arrogant? If the season already started and they took a few games off, then your argument is legitimate. At this point, it is pure speculation and fallacy.

Not really.

1. Yao played in 3 of the games.
2. McGrady wasn't there...So what? Up until the Lakers struggled against the Rockets, everybody was saying that McGrady not being there was a blessing for that team. Of course, once the Lakers started to struggle, everybody started saying the Rockets could use him. :rolleyes: McGrady hurt that team earlier on in the year and they started to blossom when he got injured. Fact.
3. The Lakers problem wasn't overconfidence. Their problem was a speedy PG in Brooks who Fisher couldn't stop and the tough muscle inside in Hayes and Landry. Not to mention outside shooting in Battier, Brooks, etc. The Mavs have none of this really.

BTW--Although the Rockets series was a slight misstep, they dominated the WCF and NBA Finals as they found their groove as a championship squad. When the Celtics went to two straight 7 game series against sub-par competition and nearly losing the Game 7 (remember, the Lakers dominated their Game 7), people forgot all about that and called the Celtics an all-time great team. The fact is that the Celtics found their groove in the ECF and the Lakers found their groove in the WCF.

PURE speculation...That is all that statement happens to be. PURE speculation. In fact, I would argue differently. With an added piece in Artest extremely hungry for a title and this year being the last year in Phil's contract, the Lakers can possibly be even MORE motivated because they a) want to get Artest that championship taste, b) want to send Phil off as a winner, and c) they would want to accomplish a great feat in a back to back title runs.

Id agree Artest is hungry. but i dont consider it speculation as it happens to most previous champions. They dont come back with the same swagger.

Ace33Bone
08-21-2009, 12:09 PM
I think that this would be a tougher series than people are making it out to be but I def think the Lakers would come out victorious even though I hate to say it... in no less that 6 games

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 02:15 PM
:facepalm:

My bad.

I fixed it.

LakePackYank
08-21-2009, 06:30 PM
you cant discredit his comment about bynum because bynum is injury prone.

how is 2 freak accidents make bynum injury prone? Players like Yao, T-Mac, Shaq, (ppl often forget that this guy get's injured a lot as well), etc. are injury prone players. Bynum having 2 freak accidents does not make him so.

ARMIN12NBA
08-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Id agree Artest is hungry. but i dont consider it speculation as it happens to most previous champions. They dont come back with the same swagger.

And some previous champions do come back with the same swagger. That argument, on both sides, is pure speculation at this point.

UofA
08-21-2009, 07:11 PM
I said lakers in 6

mitch91
08-21-2009, 07:57 PM
lakers in 6

bigsams50
08-21-2009, 08:30 PM
how is 2 freak accidents make bynum injury prone? Players like Yao, T-Mac, Shaq, (ppl often forget that this guy get's injured a lot as well), etc. are injury prone players. Bynum having 2 freak accidents does not make him so.

how is shaq injury prone? and again with these freak accidents. i wonder wht yall are gonna say when he gets injured again

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Jermaine O'neal injuries are mostly based on someone else injuring him. When he was on the Raptors, he was injured twice because of someone else. Most of his career injuries were because of someone else. But people still call him injury prone.

LakePackYank
08-21-2009, 08:35 PM
how is shaq injury prone? and again with these freak accidents. i wonder wht yall are gonna say when he gets injured again

how? well let's see...

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shaquille_oneal/career_stats.html

shaq plays only 54 games in 1996.

shaq plays 51 games in 1997.

shaq plays 60 games in 1998.

shaq plays 49 games in 1999.

shaq plays 59 games in 2006.

shaq plays 40 games in 2007.

shaq plays 61 games in 2008.

in the years from 2000-2005, he avged about 67 or 68 games.

this is all just looking at stats as well. I could tell u how many times he got injured without looking at stats as well.

LakePackYank
08-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Jermaine O'neal injuries are mostly based on someone else injuring him. When he was on the Raptors, he was injured twice because of someone else. Most of his career injuries were because of someone else. But people still call him injury prone.

That's not what i mean. When i say freak accidents, i mean like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2NUsGSzw0Q

Bynum got hurt this year and last year because someone from his own team falls on him.

Jeramine O'neal got injured by someone on the other team knocking him down like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUc2aESNL-w

there different

bigsams50
08-21-2009, 08:41 PM
shaq played in the post season and majority of those years. bynum bas played only 82 regular season games the past 2 years. bynum is injury prone

bigsams50
08-21-2009, 08:43 PM

Bynum got hurt this year and last year because someone from his own team falls on him.

Jeramine O'neal got injured by someone on the other team knocking him down like this.

there different

so because some on on another team injures jermaine its not a freak accident, but bynums are......huh

Raps18-19 Champ
08-21-2009, 08:50 PM

there different

It doesn't matter.

You were saying that we can't call Bynum because someone injured him(No matter if it is serious or not). Jermaine's situation is no different.

bigsams50
08-21-2009, 08:52 PM
It doesn't matter.

You were saying that we can't call Bynum because someone injured him(No matter if it is serious or not). Jermaine's situation is no different.

:clap: stubborn laker fans

MTar786
08-21-2009, 10:14 PM
dallas fans prob feel bad now.. getting desperate. i notice theyre trying to put dallas wins in 4 so the point total gets closer lol

MTar786
08-21-2009, 10:25 PM
funny how people go on about the weak rockets team that took LA to 7 games n yet u never hear about the 07-08 celtics going 7 games with atlanta which sucked back then (arent too good now either lol) and 7 games with a way lesser cavs team.

sorry guys.. it happens. i think beating denver and owning orlando should be enough to make up for it all.

Mavrix
08-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Dallas and LA won't meet until the conference final

Dallas will be a 3 seed.

zsiddiqui23
08-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Dallas and LA won't meet until the conference final

Dallas will be a 3 seed.

Either way they're getting knocked out.

I'll say Lakers in 6. Most the the Laker-Mavs games I've watched this past year were pretty intense and close. I expect them to be even better next year with Marion in the lineup.

Bleeds Blue
08-22-2009, 12:38 AM
barea is the only problem for LA. lake show is just plain better. better D, O, rebounding, size, clutch, athleticism, etc. lakers in 5

how? well let's see...

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shaquille_oneal/career_stats.html

shaq plays only 54 games in 1996.

shaq plays 51 games in 1997.

shaq plays 60 games in 1998.

shaq plays 49 games in 1999.

shaq plays 59 games in 2006.

shaq plays 40 games in 2007.

shaq plays 61 games in 2008.

in the years from 2000-2005, he avged about 67 or 68 games.

this is all just looking at stats as well. I could tell u how many times he got injured without looking at stats as well.

99 season was shortened

Mavrix
08-22-2009, 03:43 AM
This thread will be irrelevant if Dallas picks up a quality center like Camby or Kaman which is bound to happen come September.

Roster moves are far from over.

Saint Brian
08-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Lakers in 5.

Mile High Champ
08-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Lakers in 5, Mavs are the most overrated team going into this year..

Lakersfan2483
08-22-2009, 04:16 PM

My thoughts exactly:clap:

mavs&colts
08-23-2009, 11:42 AM

NO ORLANDO IS!
The reason's they made it to the finals
1.KG was injured
2.Turkoglu's lights out shooting(eliminating cleveland)
3.The East is NO WAY NEAR CLOSE 2 be being more competitive 2 the west!
(ex. if 4th seed atlanta was in the WC they wouldnt have made the playoffs)

LakePackYank
08-23-2009, 12:04 PM
NO ORLANDO IS!
The reason's they made it to the finals
1.KG was injured
2.Turkoglu's lights out shooting(eliminating cleveland)
3.The East is NO WAY NEAR CLOSE 2 be being more competitive 2 the west!
(ex. if 4th seed atlanta was in the WC they wouldnt have made the playoffs)

nah orlando is right where they are.

J-Relo
08-23-2009, 01:43 PM
I guess i voted Dallas by a mistake, but LA is gonna win here in 5-6 games

IndiansFan337
08-23-2009, 05:28 PM
LAL in 6

DetroitRipCity
08-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Lakers in 5 or 6

boms-4
08-24-2009, 11:42 AM
why dont we just skip this and make th championship thread with boston vs. lakers

LA_Raiders
08-24-2009, 01:49 PM
LA in 5 Dal dont play D...

Radio Rakeem
08-24-2009, 06:36 PM
LA in 5 Dal dont play D...

same

Raph12
08-25-2009, 02:09 AM
115-27 Los Angeles, let's go Lakers

cowboyz180
08-26-2009, 08:06 AM
mavs in 7

younggunn113
08-26-2009, 08:49 AM
mavs in 7

Funny..Lakers in 4, 5 maximum. They literally can NEVER guard Kobe. He averaged over 30 a game against them last year, I mean you can argue that Dallas got better with Marion, but in the same respect, barring another freak accident Bynum will be around this year too. Don't say he's injury prone, because the times he has gotten hurt have been weird accidents. Almost comparable to the Tom Brady play...

Mavrix
08-26-2009, 10:32 AM
like I said, if Dallas picks up Kaman or Camby it's game over for the Lakers