PDA

View Full Version : Report: Derrick Rose, Memphis forced to vacate Final Four season

JordansBulls
08-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Source: Suntimes (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/bulls/1726584,memphis-derrick-rose-20.article)

Memphis will be forced to vacate the record 38 victories from its Final Four season of 2007-08, according to a report by the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

The newspaper, citing a source close to the situation, said on its Web site Wednesday night that the NCAA will on Thursday release findings of its investigation into violations committed by the program.

The NCAA investigated whether someone took the SAT exam for a player on that Final Four team. Reports have said that Derrick Rose is that player. The Sun-Times exclusively reported in June that Derrick Rose's high school grades were changed while at Simeon. Memphis was notified of potential violations in January and met with the NCAA in June.

The NCAA planned a news conference in Indianapolis at 4 p.m. Thursday, and Dr. Shirley Raines, president of Memphis, told the Associated Press the school will hold its own media conference shortly afterward.

Memphis coach Josh Pastner declined to comment on the reports Thursday morning, deferring to university officials.

Memphis finished 38-2 in 2007-08, setting the NCAA record for wins in a season. The Tigers lost 75-68 to Kansas in overtime in the national championship game.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
well if its true, then their record should be wiped out.
This doesnt change my opinion of Rose really. I still love him as a player. Just another reason the system is flawed. Let a kid come straight out of high school.

daleja424
08-20-2009, 04:48 PM
It changes my opinion. In my mind he goes from being a nice young man to a cheater and from being hard working to being lazy. My opinion of him has definately changed. How can it not. He committed fraud to get into a University and to ultimately be paid millions a year. He owes Memphis and the NBA some money...

Raps08-09 Champ
08-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Cheater.

jrice9
08-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Cheaters lol

Anyway, Mario Chalmers is still smiling about a certain shot

The Ooh Child
08-20-2009, 04:59 PM
It changes my opinion. In my mind he goes from being a nice young man to a cheater and from being hard working to being lazy. My opinion of him has definately changed. How can it not. He committed fraud to get into a University and to ultimately be paid millions a year. He owes Memphis and the NBA some money...

How can you be so sure that Memphis didn't know about or even facilitate his cheating on the SAT's?

ARMIN12NBA
08-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Cheater.

Apparently so. Now their 38-2 season becomes 0-40. :speechless:

Raps08-09 Champ
08-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Apparently so. Now their 38-2 season becomes 0-40. :speechless:

That would clearly have changed the draft. I wonder how it would go if Rose wasn't there?

ackar
08-20-2009, 05:02 PM
I like this comparison about him being a cheater simply you can put this in context with the people who post on here. If you never cheated on a test or bought a term paper or palagarized then you better than most people in the who has world.

the problem i see with celebs in general is you people put them too high on a pedstal and then be like OMG when they do soemthing well human. this type of thing happens all the time and not just with athletes for example selling term papers and taking test for others is big business that how alot of brians put themselves through graduate and doctrate programs.

bogdanrom
08-20-2009, 05:09 PM
This is what happens when you lower the minimum age. If Stern would have let high school players enter the NBA Draft, then things like this wouldn't happen as much, especially the SAT part. The altering grades part will always happen. I've been friends with many athletes who have gone to college, who have told me that teachers and principals have agreed to change their grades. It just a part of life and it will never stop.

KnicksR4Real
08-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Cheater

Raps08-09 Champ
08-20-2009, 05:11 PM
I like this comparison about him being a cheater simply you can put this in context with the people who post on here. If you never cheated on a test or bought a term paper or palagarized then you better than most people in the who has world.

the problem i see with celebs in general is you people put them too high on a pedstal and then be like OMG when they do soemthing well human. this type of thing happens all the time and not just with athletes for example selling term papers and taking test for others is big business that how alot of brians put themselves through graduate and doctrate programs.

Normal people who work for a living don't change their marks so they can go to college.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-20-2009, 05:33 PM
DR. 1 a beast!!

yojoe792
08-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Does this mean UCLA made the national finals?

KnicksPain
08-20-2009, 06:06 PM
^^^:laugh:

Thatruth32
08-20-2009, 06:24 PM
lol

HiphopRelated
08-20-2009, 06:29 PM

Man this isn't writing a formula on your hand.

Someone else all together took the exam...no that isn't a norm

smith&wesson
08-20-2009, 06:39 PM
all i gotta say is boston vs chicago in the play offs...

if you saw that series, you kno rose belongs in the nba. i dont care how he got to the nba, now that he is there he is right at home isnt he ?? i mean this kid is the pg of the future right behind cp3 and dwill.

so what if he isnt book smart. he has a high basket ball iq

BkOriginalOne
08-20-2009, 06:40 PM
What do you exepct though?
If these guys are in the gyym over 10 hours a day, when are they doing their homework?

Gambeezy
08-20-2009, 06:42 PM

I believe you're referring to the word: Plagiarized. Were you Derrick's highschool grammar tutor? My mistake. Getting a tutor would actually mean putting forth effort to study for the SAT even when you're a 2 sport athlete like I was in highschool. There's no excuse for cheating your way into college. You're only cheating yourself.

Please don't enable things like this to happen by playing the "like you've never done anything wrong" card. Maybe one day you'll be find yourself on death row b/c you thought your Harvard attorney was going to be good only to find out that he cheated his way through law school. Far-fetched granted, but you catch my drift.

This argument will ultimately boil down to the NBA not letting kids come straight out of highschool, but I don't care. I had to bust my *** to keep my grades up. Playing sports in highschool and college is a privilege. If Rose couldn't cut it in the classroom then he should have went over seas. They need to start cracking down on this crap. I think highschool athletes are also severely neglected. Teachers either pass them with an easy 'A' or give them an extremely hard time due to the amount of class they miss b/c of their respective sport. If you never played sports in highschool then you'll never know how difficult it is to focus on your team, classwork and any job you'd be daring enough to attempt to hold down. I bet no one even tried pushing Rose to excel academically in grade-school.

dbeastly
08-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Wait a second.....does this mean that Michael Beasley is actually a better person than Rose?
All the questions previously aimed towards Beasley (like "why is he in the NBA, he's not serious") should now be aimed towards Rose.
In my opinion they should send rose back to high school because any normal human like me would be treated that way. If this happened to me they would take away my high school diploma and I would be forced to retake my SAT. Kick him out of the NBA because this is just a message to all the hood rats out there that it's ok to do this and there wont be any consequences. Treat him like a normal human, not like a god that life's rules don't apply too. Yes I am a Beasley fan but I would be saying the same about him if he cheated on his SAT. Thank you very much and I look forward to another horrible Chicago Bull's season.

D2theJ
08-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Who gives a ****? lol. The season already happened they can't take that away.

Ovratd1up
08-20-2009, 07:37 PM

Are you really saying that Derrick is not a nice young man and is not hard working? LOL! I think you are confusing him with another rookie that ended up on some unlucky team's roster...

FlawlessKB24
08-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Who gives a ****? lol. The season already happened they can't take that away.

i know, who cares?

we all know he had a magnificent final 4.

i only care about how he does in the NBA
im sure he can care less about this too lol

Draco
08-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Wait a second.....does this mean that Michael Beasley is actually a better person than Rose?
All the questions previously aimed towards Beasley (like "why is he in the NBA, he's not serious") should now be aimed towards Rose.
In my opinion they should send rose back to high school because any normal human like me would be treated that way. If this happened to me they would take away my high school diploma and I would be forced to retake my SAT. Kick him out of the NBA because this is just a message to all the hood rats out there that it's ok to do this and there wont be any consequences. Treat him like a normal human, not like a god that life's rules don't apply too. Yes I am a Beasley fan but I would be saying the same about him if he cheated on his SAT. Thank you very much and I look forward to another horrible Chicago Bull's season.

Character issues were considered before the draft to help predict whether a prospect would have problems during his NBA career. AFAIK, Rose hasn't had any problems during his NBA career. And AFAIK, Beasley was fined $50K for whatever incident happened during his rookie program.

Should questions be aimed at Rose? Considering hisNBA rep is spotless and he's considered reliable enough by Team USA to have been invited to their minicamp.. my opinion is no, questions shouldn't be aimed at Rose. Should questions be aimed at Beasley? IMO, he's the Heats problem not the Bull's.. so I couldn't care less.

And FWIW.. cheating on SATs doesn't invalidate a high school diploma or keep anyone out of the NBA.

Bartlee23
08-20-2009, 08:24 PM
I believe you're referring to the word: Plagiarized. Were you Derrick's highschool grammar tutor? My mistake. Getting a tutor would actually mean putting forth effort to study for the SAT even when you're a 2 sport athlete like I was in highschool. There's no excuse for cheating your way into college. You're only cheating yourself.

Please don't enable things like this to happen by playing the "like you've never done anything wrong" card. Maybe one day you'll be find yourself on death row b/c you thought your Harvard attorney was going to be good only to find out that he cheated his way through law school. Far-fetched granted, but you catch my drift.

This argument will ultimately boil down to the NBA not letting kids come straight out of highschool, but I don't care. I had to bust my *** to keep my grades up. Playing sports in highschool and college is a privilege. If Rose couldn't cut it in the classroom then he should have went over seas. They need to start cracking down on this crap. I think highschool athletes are also severely neglected. Teachers either pass them with an easy 'A' or give them an extremely hard time due to the amount of class they miss b/c of their respective sport. If you never played sports in highschool then you'll never know how difficult it is to focus on your team, classwork and any job you'd be daring enough to attempt to hold down. I bet no one even tried pushing Rose to excel academically in grade-school.

The whole argument does come down to the NBA not letting kids come straight out of high school. Cheating to get into college or cheating in college in NOT cheating yourself considering he was there for one purpose.... to make it to the NBA. He wasn't there for an education to become a lawyer or doctor, he was following the steps he was forced to take to get to where he wanted to be. It probably more than likely was set-up by someone else including the school... he couldn't of done it all himself.

Just because he wasn't " smart enough " to make it in the academic world shouldn't take away from the skills and drive he had to make it to a career that he can excel in. Education is important for some people but just because you haven't gone to college doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to get a job doing what you like or are good at that makes you successful whether it's working as a restaurant manager or starting as a point guard in the NBA. Rose was probably never pushed to excel in school... he may have not even showed up for class half the time but that doesn't make him a bad person. It just means he had no interest in school and was focused 100% on doing what he loves but was forced to take steps to get there that may not of been possible for him but again you don't need a college degree to become a retail manager so why should you need it for something that has nothing to do with being book smart ?

IBleedPurple
08-20-2009, 08:32 PM

^this

While I was pulling for Memphis in the championship, I'm glad they lost now. A championship that is given out 1 1/2 years later doesn't mean much.

JordansBulls
08-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Does this mean UCLA made the national finals?

That's what I want to know.

LakePackYank
08-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Does this mean Rose is kicked out of the NBA for a year so that he goes back to HS? :laugh:

CraigtheSoxFan
08-20-2009, 09:05 PM
this is for all the bulls fans that virbley attack Garrnet! how does it feel to have a cheater on your team hahahahahahahahaha

Cash
08-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Did any of you consider that he may not have known he was ineligible? The COACH let him play despite him being ineligible. Where in that article does it say Derrick Rose knew he was ineligible and he wanted to play anyways? It doesn't. I could care less about this. It just shows how flawed this system is when players main focus is basketball, not getting a degree.

Draco
08-20-2009, 09:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRNbYL99QsQ

zambo4president
08-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Derrick Rose is a saint!

theuuord
08-20-2009, 10:09 PM
luckily, none of us are forced to care.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-20-2009, 10:11 PM
I wonder how the draft would have gone then.

MJ-BULLS
08-20-2009, 10:17 PM
dont care as long as he kicks all the PG's ***** next year im cool ;)

chicago lulz
08-20-2009, 10:32 PM
I didn't read the article. Just wondering, was he aware of the situation or was he essentially being exploited?

theuuord
08-20-2009, 10:33 PM
I didn't read the article. Just wondering, was he aware of the situation or was he essentially being exploited?

if he wasn't aware that someone was taking the SAT's for him, he shouldn't be allowed to breathe. lol.

chicago lulz
08-21-2009, 05:00 AM
if he wasn't aware that someone was taking the SAT's for him, he shouldn't be allowed to breathe. lol.

Ohhh. I didn't read it. Didn't know that it said that someone took the SAT for him. Anyways, it doesn't seem like it's going to effect his NBA career so... as long as he's on the Bulls I really don't care. Considering that he's our future and all.

azkarraga
08-21-2009, 05:48 AM
what bothers me most is that he needed to cheat on the SAT. Being such an easy test (i took it about 22 years ago, and unless things have changed, there wasn't much to it), the thing that he needed outside help doesnt speak too high about his overall intelligence.

SteveNash
08-21-2009, 07:49 AM
So this summer we found out that Rose is a cheat and not very bright.

And that Rose wants to surround himself in the gang culture by throwing up gang signs.

Now the question I have is about Rose's apple incident. Rose said he "forgot" he was using a knife to cut an apple and "rolled over" on a knife, needing to get 10 STITCHES.

Does this story validate that Rose is really that stupid and could actually roll over onto a knife?

Or is it more likely that Rose was out having a party at night, throwing up gang signs and either stabbed himself or got stabbed by someone else?

Trouble87
08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
its easy to look back on the past and judge someone without knowing the entire situation

who knows why he cheated or if he really did...

forget this negative **** D. Rose is the man

king4day
08-21-2009, 10:23 AM
This has nothing to do with his NBA career. He could have gone to a community college and would have been the #1 pick.
Someone said he should owe money to the NBA and School? The school helped make this happen, and what does the NBA have to be compensated for? They are thrilled he's there.
It's isolated to U of Memphis and that's it. No one cares in the NBA.

SteveNash
08-21-2009, 10:43 AM
its easy to look back on the past and judge someone without knowing the entire situation

who knows why he cheated or if he really did...

forget this negative **** D. Rose is the man

You're probably right, I'm sure there's someone out there that just likes to take SATs using fake IDs.

johnnychan
08-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Dude who cares how can you judge Rose on that. I know some star athletes have people take SAT/ACT for them. A football recruit that is currently a freshman at a D1 university, That I personally know did. Overall who really gives a ****. Most of you guys are soft calling him a cheater.

Right Round
08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't get wh he cheated on the SATs anyway. I mean sure he would have made it to Memphis on a full scholarship regardless? Everyone has cheated on tests in their life. I don't think the wins should be given up at all. I mean a high school SAT test shouldn't tarnish a 38-2 (or whatever it was) record. If you directly cheated to influence the actual games, then that is another story. But this is a joke that all these wins are being taken away.

td0tsfinest
08-21-2009, 12:04 PM
So Derrick Rose never made it to the championship finals?

what really would've sucked is if they actually won the whole thing?

you wonder if the NCAA would've actually done something then .....

DaBUU
08-21-2009, 12:44 PM
DRose all day! who gives a F, lets get it Bulls!

2_Trill
08-21-2009, 01:16 PM
lol !!!

2_Trill
08-21-2009, 01:16 PM
dont think D Rose cares..

Raps08-09 Champ
08-21-2009, 01:21 PM
This has nothing to do with his NBA career. He could have gone to a community college and would have been the #1 pick.
Someone said he should owe money to the NBA and School? The school helped make this happen, and what does the NBA have to be compensated for? They are thrilled he's there.
It's isolated to U of Memphis and that's it. No one cares in the NBA.

Like a guy who goes to community college goes #1. They don't compete with division 1 players so how would they be number 1.

Gambeezy
08-23-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't get why he cheated on the SATs anyway. I mean sure he would have made it to Memphis on a full scholarship regardless? Everyone has cheated on tests in their life. I don't think the wins should be given up at all. I mean a high school SAT test shouldn't tarnish a 38-2 (or whatever it was) record. If you directly cheated to influence the actual games, then that is another story. But this is a joke that all these wins are being taken away.

Apparently someone took the exam for him. This happens often with highschool athletes.
In order to be eligible for a full athletic scholarship, athletes must get somewhere between a 600 and 800 on the SAT. I think the scoring has changed since I took it 5 years ago, but the score they need is extremely low. It's pathetic. So, athletes who don't think they can get the qualifying score ask someone to take the exam for them. It's usually a coach or two that help the athlete. Otherwise they wouldn't know how to get away with the deed. He wasn't alone in doing this. He should have been in the NBA out of highschool anyways.

NYtilIdie
08-23-2009, 03:43 PM
vacating wins is such a joke.

Rose is still going to play in the NBA, Coach Calipari is still going to make his $31 mil so I think both of them could care-less.

Hawkeye15
08-23-2009, 04:18 PM
It has been a long time since I was around the process, but you used to have to get 600-700 on the SAT to qualify for school, I can't remember now (15 years ago when I did it). From what I understand, KG comitted to Michigan, but could not get a high enough score, and opted for the NBA.
Having someone else take the test for you happens more than anyone here wants to believe.

bodupp311
08-23-2009, 06:01 PM

You're a damn idiot

SteveNash
08-23-2009, 06:49 PM
It has been a long time since I was around the process, but you used to have to get 600-700 on the SAT to qualify for school, I can't remember now (15 years ago when I did it). From what I understand, KG comitted to Michigan, but could not get a high enough score, and opted for the NBA.
Having someone else take the test for you happens more than anyone here wants to believe.

They change it around, now the max is 2400 instead of 1600.

mzgrizz
08-24-2009, 12:06 AM
vacating wins is such a joke.

Rose is still going to play in the NBA, Coach Calipari is still going to make his $31 mil so I think both of them could care-less.

Precisely.
They could care less. Memphis will get over it just like UMAss got over having their Final Four appearance,etc.. disappear by Calipari as well..
Watch your backs, Kentucky.
Oh, and not that the 2 basketball crowds are similar; but I am looking forward to the game we'll have with the Bulls this year. Should be interesting.

3ballbomber
08-24-2009, 10:41 AM
let those who has never sinned cast the fist stone!!!

theuuord
08-24-2009, 04:24 PM
I don't get wh he cheated on the SATs anyway. I mean sure he would have made it to Memphis on a full scholarship regardless? Everyone has cheated on tests in their life. I don't think the wins should be given up at all. I mean a high school SAT test shouldn't tarnish a 38-2 (or whatever it was) record. If you directly cheated to influence the actual games, then that is another story. But this is a joke that all these wins are being taken away.

if he was declared ineligible to play, that influences every single game. because he wouldn't have been in them.

effen5
08-24-2009, 04:52 PM
this is for all the bulls fans that virbley attack Garrnet! how does it feel to have a cheater on your team hahahahahahahahaha

Maybe we should virbley attack you.

Honestly, I have no idea how someone can cheat on the SATS. I mean seriously, how do you have someone sit for you to take the SATS? We've all taken it, its heavily moderated, they check school IDS, and all that ****. I really think what happen was when Drose took the SATS the 4th time, he got a much higher score that it red flagged him.

I honestly don't see how someone can "sit in" for another student to take the SATS.

theuuord
08-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Maybe we should virbley attack you.

Honestly, I have no idea how someone can cheat on the SATS. I mean seriously, how do you have someone sit for you to take the SATS? We've all taken it, its heavily moderated, they check school IDS, and all that ****. I really think what happen was when Drose took the SATS the 4th time, he got a much higher score that it red flagged him.

I honestly don't see how someone can "sit in" for another student to take the SATS.

it happens ALL the time, especially with athletes. the background checks aren't as thorough as you make it seem. creating a fake school ID is the easiest fake to make, because there's no standard for one.