PDA

View Full Version : Are the Bulls a playoff team?

camador22
08-20-2009, 07:33 AM
This off season a couple of eastern conference teams have gotten better. To be specific Toronto, Washington and Detroit. The Raptors made a huge addition in Turkoglu. The Wizards added both Miller and Foye and have Arenas retuning as well. Detroit made a statement that they are not rebuilding by adding Gordon and Villanueva. Lets face it the Bulls have lost huge by losing Gordon but they still have Hinrich who work well as a SG. Do the Bulls have enough to be a playoff team this season.

mikantsass
08-20-2009, 08:10 AM
I think they take the 8th seed. On paper, the Celtics, Cavs, Magic, Raps, Wiz, Heat, Hawks are all better than them. Philly may even beat them out for the 8th spot.

ya_boi
08-20-2009, 08:32 AM
They are they can go from 4th to 8th. Losing Ben Gordon is not going to hurt them.

jayl1377
08-20-2009, 09:02 AM
yea they are definetly a playoff team...spots 4-8 are anybodys game

Mile High Champ
08-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Yeah for me I see them as the 7th or 8th seed. When you lose such an important player on your team like Gordon and dont replace him with anything of value, there are concerns that Chicago can contend for higher seed.

LakePackYank
08-20-2009, 09:16 AM
after losing ben, it's hard to say. If Loul Deng could actually play up to his contract then yes but if not, i don't really think so.

Ace33Bone
08-20-2009, 09:32 AM
I think they will be a #6 or #7 seed in the playoffs

vdv36
08-20-2009, 09:46 AM
there's no way..... they lost their top scorer and replaced him with Jannero Pargo????? yeah thats really going to work..... TT is just like the Cubs with the "Maybe Next Year" we don't have the slightest Idea on what Noah's been doing all off season except hang out at the beach smoking with his girlfriend.... we're still waiting for 07 Deng to show up... Rose to stop turning the ball over and develop a Jump shot.... their's way to many if's....... We've seen better Bulls teams do way worst.... I know Rose is going to be great... but really... on his second year... with no talent around him... I know you kids are hardcore Bull fans who want to win... but please, be a little realistic....

Nets fan 93
08-20-2009, 09:50 AM
They Lost Ben... but its not like rose isnt going to get better... imo they will make the playoffs lead by Rose

king4day
08-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Detroit is going to be a bubble team. Bulls should have enough to make it.

CQSox305
08-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Absolutely, D Rose is gonna make a huge jump this year. He will probably be a 20 and 7 guy this season.

CraigtheSoxFan
08-20-2009, 10:06 AM
oh yeah they are a playoff team they almost beat boston

DLeeicious
08-20-2009, 10:54 AM
It's funny if you go into the Bulls forum you will see 95% of Bulls fans convinced they are better without Gordon. The NBA forum (mostly Piston fans) think the Bulls were out of their minds to let a guy like Gordon go and that they are doomed this season. The reality is that it's somewhere in the middle.

Gordon is a sick efficient all around great scorer, no one can question that. What people who don't watch BG play everynight don't realize is all the negatives that come along with him. Stupid turnovers, missed passes, bad shots, terrible off the ball defense, lack of hustle back on defense (he has been taken out of games for this).

So the fact of the matter is that Detroit gave him WAY too much money (okay I guess not fact but my opinion). Short term the Bulls took a small step back. Long term they are better off.

As for the playoffs this year. Remember the Bulls were .500 last year, however well over .500 after they brought over Salmons and Miller. They have that team minus BG plus a couple of role playing rookies and a healthy Deng. You have to imagine that they are at least a .500 team with all that. I estimate about 45 wins and the 5-8th seed.

Diggy_2
08-20-2009, 11:12 AM
yeah i think they would get the 6th 7th or 8th seed

DaBUU
08-20-2009, 11:16 AM
It's funny if you go into the Bulls forum you will see 95% of Bulls fans convinced they are better without Gordon. The NBA forum (mostly Piston fans) think the Bulls were out of their minds to let a guy like Gordon go and that they are doomed this season. The reality is that it's somewhere in the middle.

Gordon is a sick efficient all around great scorer, no one can question that. What people who don't watch BG play everynight don't realize is all the negatives that come along with him. Stupid turnovers, missed passes, bad shots, terrible off the ball defense, lack of hustle back on defense (he has been taken out of games for this).

So the fact of the matter is that Detroit gave him WAY too much money (okay I guess not fact but my opinion). Short term the Bulls took a small step back. Long term they are better off.

As for the playoffs this year. Remember the Bulls were .500 last year, however well over .500 after they brought over Salmons and Miller. They have that team minus BG plus a couple of role playing rookies and a healthy Deng. You have to imagine that they are at least a .500 team with all that. I estimate about 45 wins and the 5-8th seed.

Great analysis DLee, short, simple and the truth.
this!

Catfish1314
08-20-2009, 11:26 AM
The Bulls will miss Ben Gordon at first but I think Luol Deng is really going to bounce back this season. His return along with a full season of Miller and Salmons will help fill the void of losing Gordon. And besides, it was the right move to let him go. Short-term and long-term. He's a dangerous scorer and he has no fear, but he may be the biggest defensive liability in the NBA, he's turnover prone, he can't handle well, and he rarely passes unless he's drawn so much attention that he is left with no other choice.

I think they're 6-8 in the East. Joakim Noah will be better and Derrick Rose is a superstar waiting to burst out. That could happen as early as this season.

blah-blah
08-20-2009, 12:07 PM
theyll finish 7th or 8th in east

JordansBulls
08-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Of course we are. We were voted in the playoffs here:

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398253

I believe we will be the 4th seed actually.

DLeeicious
08-20-2009, 12:14 PM

You think 4th seed without any moves?

I think we could if we made some kind of pre-deadline move and did our usual stellar finish.

airjordan2345
08-20-2009, 12:27 PM
yes they r a playoff team..they will get the 4-8 seed.....ya they did lose ben gordon bu u guys dont realize when they traded for salmons and miller loul deng got injured for the rest of the season...now we lose gordon and we slide salmons to the 2 spot and add deng...now we have a bigger team and better defensively as well...and with rose on our team and now more experience he will be an all star...watch out for the bulls

koreancabbage
08-20-2009, 12:31 PM
i don't know how Detroit got worse than Chicago this summer. Detroit still have Prince and Hamilton, who are heads and tails better than anyone Chicago have not named Rose. Deng is a freakin one year wonder- he's been on the decline ever since.

Detroit is going to get the last playoff spot just becuase they more weapons overall as a team and better players.

DLeeicious
08-20-2009, 12:44 PM
i don't know how Detroit got worse than Chicago this summer. Detroit still have Prince and Hamilton, who are heads and tails better than anyone Chicago have not named Rose. Deng is a freakin one year wonder- he's been on the decline ever since.

Detroit is going to get the last playoff spot just becuase they more weapons overall as a team and better players.

Detroit has some talent for sure but I just see them as a random group of guys thrown out on the court hoping for the best. I could see them winning 50 games or 35 games just as easily, I am actually really curious to see Detroit play this year because like I said it will be an interesting product to see.

UofA
08-20-2009, 12:48 PM

well said, completely agree

daleja424
08-20-2009, 12:48 PM
this is too funny to me. first people argue that boston, cleveland, orlando, washington, toronto, miami, atlanta, and philly are better teams... then people say that Chicago is a playoff team???

ackar
08-20-2009, 12:53 PM
I vote YEs on one simple concept if the Bulls play tema defense and have a defensive scheme that fit their players then yes they could be anywhere from 4 to 8. If they continue not to play defense as a team meaning tyrus just wondering around looking for highlight blocks Rose gambling for steals and such then they will not go anywhere etc.

Fans say the Bulls are defensivly better cause they lost BG7 on paper that may or mya not be true but the things is you have to play team D which the Bulls did little of last year.

phoenix_bladen
08-20-2009, 01:13 PM
they should have at least attempted a sign and trade for gordon instead of letting him go

now who's going to be another scorer to take off the pressure of deng and rose?

DLeeicious
08-20-2009, 01:20 PM
they should have at least attempted a sign and trade for gordon instead of letting him go

Salmons and Hinrich can both score.

Who could we have sign and traded Gordon for? There was just nothing available I'm sure it was attempted. We are better off having the salary relief than taking on a terrible contract to allow for the sign and trade.

Lu's Dynasty
08-20-2009, 01:21 PM

John Salmons probably will be either 2nd or 3rd in scoring on the Bulls. He will put up 17 a game probably. Deng at 18 and Rose at 20 or 21. Hinrich will just need to be solid defensively and give us around 10 or 11 a game. The team will be fine offensively, but there will be nights early in the season when guys are not able to hit shots. At the end of those games it will be on Rose to take over. In time it should become a common theme that Rose will be that guy to take the last shot either through penetration or a pull-up jumper. Obviously, he will try to get to the basket more often than not so it will be interesting to see what he can do in his second season.

Bartlee23
08-20-2009, 03:36 PM

You don't know how Detroit got worse than Chicago this summer ?? Well let's see.... they lost Wallace.... they overpaid IMO ( and alot of other people's ) for Gordon who plays no defense, never met a shot he didn't like ( or take ), can't dribble, turns the ball over... oh go read Dlee's post they hit it right on the head, they have no center ( please don't say Ben Wallace ), no point guard and Hamilton and Prince are good but if they didn't have a contract with Detroit they'd be another player out there like Iverson searching for a team to give them a contract but doesn't want to pay for them.

Your last statement of Deng being a " freakin one year wonder " proves you either know nothing about basketball, don't watch other teams besides you're favorite so you don't know what you're talking about or you are very young and immature. I'm guessing it's all three. Deng just turned 24 this year. His career has just started not ended. The Bulls are building a good young core with some veterans to go around which actually makes for a very exciting year and a very exciting place for free agents to come. You say Detroit will be in the last spot... fine Chicago will be ahead of them. Don't be shocked when the Bulls are better than you're Raptors too or when Bosh leaves.

WITZ
08-20-2009, 03:53 PM
They will be fighting with Miami for the last 2 seeds the other teams just did more to get better while the bulls didn't do anything besides let Gordon walk.

harmen_raptors
08-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Yes, they do have enough to make it to the playoffs. But, they would make it at the 7th or 8th seed. because they lost their best player Ben Gordon and other teams have improved(Toronto Raptors, Washington Wizards, and Detroit Pistons).

THE EASTERN CONFERENCE REGULAR SEASON STANDING

Celtics
Magic
Cavaliers
Wizards
Raptors
Pistons
Hawks
Chicago or Heat

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-20-2009, 04:18 PM
They will take the 5th seed, because Rose will make a terrific improvement!

JNaqvi23
08-20-2009, 04:31 PM
to be honest they will be a 5-8 seed and i think everyone is way too high on the Wizards...adding Mike Miller and Randy Foye makes them contenders all of a sudden? I understand Gilbert went down...but you have to realize their PG (Gil) isnt a pure PG...he loves to chuck the ball up as much as BG does...so back on topic...Bulls start the season slow but I think they will make a Pre Allstar Game push and continue it through the rest of the season...possibly make it out of the 1st Rd....which will draw interest in the FA market next year...other than that Miami has a good squad that can make a push into the 6th or 7th spot...Detroit is just a cluster**** of talent that wont be able to play together...Bulls steal the 6th spot in the East behind:

Cavs
Celtics
Magic
Hawks
Raptors
Bulls
Heat
Wizards

sorry Detroit but after Chauncey left theres not much of a "team" left...

29$JerZ
08-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Derrick Rose - John Salmons - Luol Deng - Tyrus Thomas - Joakim Noah
Kirk Heinrich - Jannero Pargo - Lindseyy Hunter- James Johnson - Taj Ginbson - Brad Miller

Those are the names I recall from memory, if I've forgotten anyone I apologize.

Looking at that Lineup and roster they are going to depend on Rose more than ever now. Gordon is gone so scoring is going to rely more on Rose/Salmons/Deng
They are in serious need of a big men imo, mainly at the PF.

If Deng plays like he did when he earned the contract they have a legit shot at the 7th/8th Seed again this upcoming season. I don't see them doing anything in the playoffs though with Tyrus as their PF however, they need to swing for either Boozer or hope Tyrus becomes a more complete player in the playoffs or they will get an early knockout.

camador22
08-20-2009, 06:09 PM

:facepalm: Pass the grass! There's no way they are better the Atlanta and Miami especially making no moves and losing their top scorer.

Bruno
08-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Yes. I see these teams making the playoffs for the east, in no particular order.

Boston
Orlando
Cleveland
Toronto
Washington
Atlanta
Chicago
Miami

The Pistons and the 76ers are capable of making the playoffs again, I just see Toronto and Washington taking their place. If AI lands in Charlotte they could contend for a lower seat too.

Lakers4ItAll
08-20-2009, 07:15 PM

4th seed? You can't be serious

IversonIsKrazy
08-20-2009, 11:14 PM
The Bulls playoff team: Same except lost BG7, added Pargo, Johnson, and Deng returns. I got them 7th/8th with Miami. Philly IMO wont make it unless they get a true PG. Detroit's offseason moves were not soo good to make them a playoff team IMO. The only way Bulls arent a playoff team, is if Miami getz Boozer, and Charlotte gets AI. Thas wut I tHnk.

Kyben36
08-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Could be, could not be, depends on injury and development, but if rose comes around as planed, then Yes,

They could go anywhere from 4th to probably 9th I dont see them any lower than that if healthy.

mdabstar
08-20-2009, 11:36 PM
this is really hard to say after losing gordon. i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt make the playoffs this year. if they do make playoffs, they would probably be 8th, not as high as chicago fans are putting them.(ahem.....4th.....ahem)

GeorgeMcCloud21
08-20-2009, 11:39 PM
I would say so..
I see it turning out like

Boston
Cleveland
Orlando
Atlanta
Toronto
Miami
Chicago
Washington

Kyben36
08-20-2009, 11:47 PM
this is really hard to say after losing gordon. i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt make the playoffs this year. if they do make playoffs, they would probably be 8th, not as high as chicago fans are putting them.(ahem.....4th.....ahem)

IDK, People are overating the Raptors and the Wizzards, and I personaly dont like the Crawford move by the Hawks, but I realy would be surprised if they get higher than 5th, The heat being the 4th.

b_rad23
08-20-2009, 11:53 PM
It's either the Bulls, Sixers or Raptors for the 7th and 8th spots IMO.

zambo4president
08-21-2009, 02:55 AM
Absolutely and were a dangerous one at that. Were in the 5-7 range. Losing Ben Gordon doesnt even hurt us.

vash9
08-21-2009, 04:48 AM
Well, the loss of Ben Gordon can effect them positively and negatively.

But to be honest, i think they can do it again this year.

As for Rose, his second year, he's going to have to kick it up many notches, but he can do it. pretty sure.

magichatnumber9
08-21-2009, 06:42 AM
With Noah and Rose taking there games to the next level. why not?

Rapthug
08-21-2009, 07:44 AM
The Bulls are as much a playoff team as the Pistons and Wiz. The Pistons are going to be brutal and their defense will be as bad as the Warriors. They have zero inside presence. The Wiz can shot it and that's about it and their team is riddled with injury prone players.Actually, defensively they will be as bad as the Pistons. I'm not a Ben Gordon fan but losing him does hurt the Bulls somewhat. They will only go as far as Rose will take them and once the 4th quarter comes around teams will force Rose to give it up and have someone else beat them....and I don't think they have enough fire power or depth.

SteveNash
08-21-2009, 08:00 AM
To hard to tell. I could see them being the 4th seed, or finishing last in their conference.

#1Mavericksfan
08-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Yes the Bulls are a playoff team....it's gonna be hard for them to replace Gordan coming off the bench but I still see them making the playoffs.

Legitimate
08-21-2009, 09:08 AM
It will be a struggle for them to make the playoffs. Wow..they have to battle it out with Philly, who in my opinion is better than them. They also have to deal with detroit, who offensively is going to be the ish. When you come to think of it though, Bulls will have a top 10 defense next year, its just that, offensively there going to be horrible for a playoff contender. 8 seed at best, one of the best scorers in the Nba and ya'll got better? nah man. I just can't wait till the season starts so Bulls fans can finally realize and hopefully they can tape their eyes open to see that Gordon was a huge loss. Sure he was a chucker, but his shots were efficient.

Legitimate
08-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Without Deng, this team is a 10 seed team, haha. Dengs status is up in the air at the moment. Here is my projection :

Orlando
Celtics
Cavs
ATL
Washington
Raptors
Detroit
Sixers

Sportfan
08-21-2009, 09:17 AM
i see them as the 7th seed

effen5
08-21-2009, 02:10 PM
I really do believe everyone is overrating Ben Gordon. Like Dlee said earlier in his post, he is a fearless scorer, but he can't dribble, he can't play defense well (even though hes some what improved) he takes the worst shots in the world, he wont pass the ball unless hes triple teamed and sometimes he will still shoot it, and he takes the offense out of the game. Also people say he is clutch, which I agree, he is very clutch, but half the time he makes the shot, hes the sole reason why we were in that position. He makes so many mistakes during the game that people forget about it when he makes a last second shot.

I honestly do believe we improved with BG departing. If you look at the Bulls - Celtics series, every game BG led the Bulls in scoring, we loss, while every game Rose was leading in scoring we won. I believe alot of that has to do with Ben Gordon chucking up shots to get his points and taking the offense out of the game while Drose will get his teammates involved while he also scores. I mean I even remember a game where Doug Collins yelled WHAT ARE YOU DOING when BG took an AWFUL shot towards the end of the game.

Here are some stats that you might find interesting to kinda backup what I was saying.

Game 1) Win
Derrick Rose 36 points, 11 ast, 4 rebs.
Ben Gordon 20 points, 5 ast, 3 rebs

Game 2) Loss
Derrick Rose 10 pts, 2 blks, 7ast, 6 reb.
Ben Gordon 42 points, 1 ast, 1stl, 0ast!!!!!!!

Game 3) everyone played horribly

Game 4) Win
Derrick Rose 23pts, 9 ast, 10 reb
Ben Gordon 22pts, 6 reb, 1ast

Game 5) Loss
Derrick Rose 14 pts, 3stl, 6ast, 8 reb
Ben Gordon 26pts, 1 blk, 6ast, 3reb

Game 6) Win
John Salmons 35pts, 4ast, 6reb
Derrick Rose 28pts, 1blk, 7 ast, 8 reb
Ben Gordon 12pts, 4 ast, 2 reb

Game 7) Loss
Derrick Rose 18pts, 4reb, 3ast
Ben Gordon 33pts, 4reb, 3 ast

I think game 6 is especially interesting, because that was actually one game out of the whole playoff series where John Salmons played extremely well with the groin injury. He can definetly score like that as he did that earlier in the season against the Celtics as well while BG no showed, and Drose and Salmons pretty much carried the load. What people didnt see in Salmons is that he is one of the main reasons why we made a playoff push towards the end of the season, not BG.

Back to the question, I think Bulls are a better team without BG, and I think Rose, Salmons and Deng will mesh well. Rose is the key to having a good season.

td0tsfinest
08-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Depends on how Deng comes back from Injuries and if Tyrus Thomas actually develops into that guy they want him to be.

MJ-BULLS
08-21-2009, 02:39 PM
yes! just because we lost Ben Gordon doesn't mean we lost a super star, he was great clutch shooter i can tell u that, but what u guys don't know that are not bulls fans is that Gordon did alot of stupid TO and bad shots late in games, any bulls fan that sees the bulls play will can tell u that, the bulls will go to the playoffs and Deng will have comeback great year. :D

mdabstar
08-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Absolutely and were a dangerous one at that. Were in the 5-7 range. Losing Ben Gordon doesnt even hurt us.

hahaha.

Mave1002
08-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I think so. The bench is week though. the signing of pargo would help but what do they do with hinrich now?

imo, they shoud trade him for a star PF/C

i wish a team like this can get the likes of AL Jefferson and Amare

Miller
TT
Deng
Salmons
Rose

J.James
Noah
Gibson/Johnson
Hinrich
Pargo

effen5
08-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I think so. The bench is week though. the signing of pargo would help but what do they do with hinrich now?

imo, they shoud trade him for a star PF/C

i wish a team like this can get the likes of AL Jefferson and Amare

Miller
TT
Deng
Salmons
Rose

J.James
Noah
Gibson/Johnson
Hinrich
Pargo

What do you think this teams been doing the past year? Amare trade talks fell by the trade deadline, and now so did the Boozer talks.