PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown speaks on Iverson's behalf!

NBA_Starter
08-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Brown Wants Iverson: Allen Iverson, on his Twitter account, is promising to sign with a NBA team. After saying he told his people to get back to him when it was done, Chris Sheridan of ESPN went and talked to Charlotte Bobcats Coach Larry Brown, Iverson's former coach in Philadelphia, to see where Charlotte might be on the list.

"I've spoken to a lot of people on his behalf, because last year was a difficult situation for him being put in where he was, replacing Chauncey Billups," said Brown. "That would have been a difficult situation for anybody. But I know he's comfortable with me, and we've had a lot of discussions. When he played for me was probably when he played his best. Would I like to coach him again? Absolutely."

The reason the Bobcats made the trade of Emeka Okafor for Tyson Chandler was to reduce their long-term salary commitments, ostensibly because the team was for sale. This morning Steve Kyler discussed the news that the Bobcats might have a buyer…does that mean they could be willing to spend a little cash?

Perhaps the long-term deal of Okafor's was seen as an anchor, but the investment in Iverson – who brings ticket and jersey sales for sure – might be considered a contract with excellent return on investment.

The Cats also have restricted free agent Raymond Felton on the roster whom they want to retain – once they get in the same neighborhood on dollars – plus second-year guard D.J. Augustin. The three of them – along with veteran Raja Bell – would make a solid group of guards.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13627

Interesting

Strumpy
08-19-2009, 10:05 PM
I thought Brown wanted Iverson's head on a platter?

2_Trill
08-19-2009, 10:57 PM
iverson has had his best years under coach Brown so its no suprise the 2 could possibly reunite... replacing chauncey in Detroit is dam near impossible.. ask Iverson..

Mavrix
08-19-2009, 11:03 PM
PG- Felton - Augustin
SG- Iverson - Bell
SF- Wallace - Radmanovic
PF- Diaw
C- Chandler - Diop

Wow they might actually be playoff bound if they sign Iverson IMO

2_Trill
08-19-2009, 11:06 PM
im glad 2 hear Brown speaking up for Iverson, finally sumbody keepin it 100.. it was just a bad fit..

DerekRE_3
08-19-2009, 11:42 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Brown could just be being diplomatic. If he says anything negative, then the story becomes: "Brown rips Iverson."

jbone808
08-20-2009, 12:13 AM
finally someone sticks up for ai. yes he did have his best yrs under brown. yes they did butt heads in philly during those yrs. but they also went to the nba finals together as well in 01. it would be only fitting for the two to reunite and who knows what could happen then. with all the iverson bashing going on, it can only light a fire UNDER THE BEST LITTLE MAN TO EVER PLAY THIS GAME.

black1605
08-20-2009, 12:26 AM
im on the AI bandwaggon hardcore

IversonIsKrazy
08-20-2009, 12:40 AM
speaking of Charlotte, have they re-signed Felton yet, if they have wut wuz the deal??

black1605
08-20-2009, 12:47 AM
not yet

THE MTL
08-20-2009, 01:42 AM
PG- Felton - Augustin
SG- Iverson - Bell
SF- Wallace - Radmanovic
PF- Diaw
C- Chandler - Diop

That team needs to run n' gun. Runners from 1-5!

MajorFloridaFan
08-20-2009, 03:09 AM
goodbye man i miiss ya

SeoulBeatz
08-20-2009, 04:09 AM
I thought Brown wanted Iverson's head on a platter?

another common misconception about a.i.

smh at the media.

Reddd
08-20-2009, 06:55 AM
If they sign AI, then the East's seeds from 4 to 8 are an absolute lottery right now.

IversonIsKrazy
08-20-2009, 03:28 PM
They should sign him. Then S&T Felton for David Lee! Then sign a 3rd pg.

PG: DJ/AI/3PG
SG: AI/Bell
SF: G-Force/?
PF: Lee/Diaw
C: Tyson/Nazr/Diop

king4day
08-20-2009, 03:37 PM
They should sign him. Then S&T Felton for David Lee! Then sign a 3rd pg.

PG: DJ/AI/3PG
SF: G-Force/?
PF: Lee/Diaw
C: Tyson/Nazr/Diop

They'd have too many Forwards/Centers.
They actually need to keep Felton. Also, Lee wouldn't start as he'd ruin their offense. Both Bigs wouldn't be able to score. AI wouldn't come to Charlotte to be the answer (no pun). He'd be there to sell tickets, jerseys, and be the go to scorer they are missing.
He wouldn't be around for more than 1-3 years tops, and you want the insurance of Felton there still.

DerekRE_3
08-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Lee is so freaking overrated it's not even funny. He's great for your fantasy team, but his is real basketball.

IversonIsKrazy
08-20-2009, 11:26 PM
well i made that deal on the top of my head. But IMO, Felton should leave if AI comes. THen DJ Augustin would really grow under AI, DJ would get more mins, but not a lot of pressure with AI & G-Force at the Wing spots. Considering Charlotte has Tyson, Diaw, Nazr, Diop, and Ajinca. Considering Bobcats financial situation, i would sign AI to a 1yr/$2M deal, and not re-sign Felton, instead sign a 3rd PG for very cheap like Jason Williams. Then u'd have a line-up of...

PG: DJ/AI/Jason
SF: G-Force/Radman
PF: Diaw/Diop
C: Tyson/Nazr

Raph12
08-21-2009, 12:21 AM
PG- Felton - Augustin
SG- Iverson - Bell
SF- Wallace - Radmanovic
PF- Diaw
C- Chandler - Diop

The lineup woud look more like this:
PG: Raymond Felton (Likely to resign), DJ Augustin, Dontell Jefferson
SG: Allen Iverson, Raja Bell, Gerald Henderson
SF: Gerald Wallace, Vladamir Radmanovic, Derrick Brown
PF: Boris Diaw, ?
C: Tyson Chandler, Desagna Diop, Nazr Mohammed, Alexis Ajinca

And idk about the playoff thing, I mean I love AI, he is what attracted me back to the NBA after Jordan retired for the second time, but idk if he can lead that Cats team over the 76ers, Pistons, Bulls, Heat, Wizards, Raptors or Hawks. All of those teams look like they are one notch above AI's Cats (Philly and Detroit are probably on the same level), maybe if AI breaks out with 25+ppg, 7+apg and 2+spg they will get the 7th/8th only to lose to Orlando/Boston. Plus they are WAY overstacked at the center position and WAY understacked at the PF position. A s&t would be nice with Raymond Felton, Nazr Mohammed, Alexis Ajinca and a second round draft pick for David Lee and Chris Duhon. Won't happen but would be pretty sweet if it did.

New lineup would look like this:
PG: Chris Duhon, DJ Augustin, Dontell Jefferson
SG: Allen Iverson, Raja Bell, Gerald Henderson
SF: Gerald Wallace, Vladamir Radmanovic, Derrick Brown
PF: David Lee, Boris Diaw
C: Tyson Chandler, Desagna Diop