PDA

View Full Version : Bay Would Be "Comfortable" Playing in Toronto

Bluerapoileagle
08-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Saw it just now on Sportscentre. They were talking to Jason Bay about playing in Toronto and he said he would be comfortable playing for the Blue Jays. He says though he understands that they're trying to cut payroll and re-build. I think the Jays should go after him.

boms-4
08-19-2009, 07:33 PM
i bet he stays put in boston

Halladay
08-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Boston isn't just going to let him go to another AL East team. I bet he stays in Boston and gets overpaid.

H-MYK
08-19-2009, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Boston signs him.

scottythegreat1
08-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Odds are, he will stay in Boston (and get overpaid) or get even more money to go to the Yankees (who will pay him more NOT to play for Boston).

With Johnny Damon's contract up this year, it is possible that the Yankees will want someone younger. Johnny Damon doesnt have the solid arm in the outfield, he is more suited to be a DH.

leafsjays1
08-19-2009, 08:30 PM
I'd personally rather have Holliday but Bay would be nice

bomber0104
08-19-2009, 08:33 PM
I prefer Holliday but I dont think the Jays get neither

leafsjays1
08-19-2009, 08:40 PM
What about possibly Rich Harden

StealingSigns
08-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Pure posturing on behalf of Bay, trying to get some leverage for negotiations. My hopes of him becoming a Jay took a nosedive when he became an American citizen.

This guy would feel "comfortable" playing for any MLB team who is willing to overpay for his services.

boms-4
08-19-2009, 10:47 PM
What about possibly Rich Harden

pretty sure hes injury prone and we dont need any more pitchers of ours gettting injuried like they seem to do year to year

BlueJayFanDan
08-20-2009, 12:04 AM
It probably wont happen. I love Bay but we are cheap ***** and not going to sign anyone good and just let Halladay and some other guys walk away and rebuild for another 4 or 5 years yet again before we get good and so on. We need to stop being cheap and pay for some good players or we will never compete.

fatkev78
08-20-2009, 09:32 AM
:pray:

Bay in LF, Lind DH, Figgins 3rd, EE & Overbay (platoon) 1st.

T.O. Fan
08-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Someone please explain to me why they prefer Holliday over Bay.

dman_39
08-20-2009, 09:55 AM
he will not be coming here, he will stay in Boston or go to team like the Dodgers.

T.O. Fan
08-20-2009, 10:20 AM
:pray:

Bay in LF, Lind DH, Figgins 3rd, EE & Overbay (platoon) 1st.

Who is EE?

fatkev78
08-20-2009, 10:39 AM
^ Edwin Encarnacion

boms-4
08-20-2009, 11:53 AM
^ Edwin Encarnacion

at first base?

geoff63
08-20-2009, 12:35 PM
He just got his US citizenship I think this is just lip service. I dont think he would ever come out and say "I dont want to play in Canada" he would be kicked out of Canada for that.

Bay OPS .916
Holliday OPS .900 only .832 while in Oakland

Eagles4Lyfe
08-20-2009, 12:53 PM
lol i wish we can get bay, but another guy said why someone would prefer holliday over bay is because holliday actaully has a better average and is more consistant, whereas bay will hit like 35 homeruns but hit liek 265..Holliday can hit 35 homeruns but have an average over 300...But we definitely need figgens and a power hitter and the rest of the money get a top tier pitcher for a nice 1-2-3 punch with doc and marcum

JUMPMANWALLY
08-20-2009, 01:20 PM
^^ i wouldnt mind that either but honestly last off season we signed 0 players to major league contracts (millar was a minor league deal with a invatation to spring training)
now were talking about trading cornerstones(halladay) trading scott the rock for e7 to save 5m next yr. Im thinking they will firericcardi or he will just leave, i get the impression he has checked out already, halladay will be gone and barajas gone maybe keeps scutaro but i cant see them paying out money for free agents-----which is why its so sad to be a jays fan

geoff63
08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
^^Lackey would look good

The_Realist
08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I would be more "comfortable" not signing outfielders. We need a shortstop and a catcher. The problem is that there is nobody on the free agent market for those positions. Trades are the way to go.

jaysfan55
08-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Getting Bay would be awesome, but his contract demands is what will keep him out of Toronto. He is going to get like 15-20 Million a year for like 4-5 years. Boston or New York...they have the money to spend and will spend it to win. Our front office doesnt see it like that. They look at cheaper options and hope for the best. If they would increase the payroll to $100 Mill for 2010 we could actually go out and get some decent bats which in the end would make us better, produce more runs, win more games and draw more fans which will help fund that $100 million Payroll. Halladay is a Jay for all of 2010. and if we can get some decent offense help (Dye,Bay,Molina etc..) and make a solid run at the playoffs then I bet Halladay signs an extension. As for Matt Holliday....I dont think he hits the ball as well in the AL..he proved that with the Athletics. In the NL the pitching is so different and he can hit them very well. I dont think wasting money on him would help us.

cynomatic
08-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Boston isn't just going to let him go to another AL East team. I bet he stays in Boston and gets overpaid.

I hope Bay says no to play in Canada:facepalm:

fatkev78
08-20-2009, 05:54 PM
at first base?

Well (wishful thinking), if the Jays get Figgins EE's got to play somewhere - why not platoon him at 1st?

3rd FIGGINS
2nd Hill
DH Lind
LF BAY
CF Wells
1st Overbay/EE
RF Snider
C Barajas(?)
SS Scutaro

rockbottom2010
08-20-2009, 06:10 PM
he mite go to seattle since his wife is from there...

leafsjays1
08-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Rich Harden is like Burnett, (wild but strikes alot of people out and injured often) he has been okay the past 2 years and he is canadian too he would be a nice pickup

carson005
08-20-2009, 11:29 PM
He just got his US citizenship I think this is just lip service. I dont think he would ever come out and say "I dont want to play in Canada" he would be kicked out of Canada for that.

Bay OPS .916
Holliday OPS .900 only .832 while in Oakland

Bay plays awful defense as well though

2009mvp
08-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Well (wishful thinking), if the Jays get Figgins EE's got to play somewhere - why not platoon him at 1st?

3rd FIGGINS
2nd Hill
DH Lind
LF BAY
CF Wells
1st Overbay/EE
RF Snider
C Barajas(?)
SS Scutaro

Or, you trade him and platoon Bautista, who's cheaper and pretty much his equal offensively against lefties. Wilner brought up Milwaukee as a potential fit, with Hall gone and Gamel struggling defensively.

fatkev78
08-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Or, you trade him and platoon Bautista, who's cheaper and pretty much his equal offensively against lefties. Wilner brought up Milwaukee as a potential fit, with Hall gone and Gamel struggling defensively.

yep, that works too.

3Blueforyou
08-21-2009, 12:20 AM
without hearing exactly what he said, i would think that is was just his way of saying next question. I am sure he would be comfortable playing anywhere in the majors. its just his way of saying if they want me i guess i could play there. i doubt there is anything really there.

ChongInc.
08-21-2009, 02:48 AM
Someone please explain to me why they prefer Holliday over Bay.

yeah...
doesnt make sense in any way possible.

jaysfan55
08-21-2009, 09:34 AM
I think getting Bay could be realistic...we need to jump on it early though... I would like to see the jays get Harden as well.

CaptainBolduke
08-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Do we have the money for these types of players? I don't think we do...

fatkev78
08-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Do we have the money for these types of players? I don't think we do...

Beeston has said on numerous occasions the Jays have the opportunity to have a $120 million dollar payroll if they feel they can compete. I believe the Jays are a Figgins & Bay away from competing, but that's just me.....

wamco
08-22-2009, 08:02 AM
EE should just dh with lind to LF and figgy to 3b

boilerguy2412
08-22-2009, 10:46 AM
I said this months ago, Bay, Harden, Bedard should all be Jays at the end of the year. It has been well known that the Jays would like to bring in some Canadian players. I said at the start of the season that they might be saving that money for this offseason to bring those guys in. Harden and Bedrad would come alot cheaper then most people would have thought at the start of the season. I would say it's a really safe bet u will see Bedard here nest season for sure i would say it would be more likely we would see Harden then Bay i think the Soxs are going to do everything they can to keep Bay he's a fan favorite and has played well there.

FlakeyFool
08-22-2009, 12:23 PM
bay is a bum

he became a U.S citizen, bum.

Tragedy
08-22-2009, 12:55 PM
bay is a bum

he became a U.S citizen, bum.

Anyways, as for Bay, I don't know if Toronto is a realistic destination. Just because he's Canadian doesn't mean the Blue Jays will suddenly spend the cash. If they're able to move Wells, maybe they'd do it. Otherwise, I doubt it.

Bay seems like a natural fit for the Yankees. That's the more realistic possibility as I see it.

Halladay
08-22-2009, 03:59 PM
The focus should be on getting good players if they're Canadian it's just a bonus. Beeston says they could spend upwards of $120 million, I'm sorry but I don't believe that. Lame duck GM, low attendance,the recession, trading Rolen and letting Rios go certainly doesn't indicate that they're going to spend money. The whole, "they let Rios go for nothing so they could use that money on someone else" idea is bogus and flat out wishful thinking. They say they'll spend over a hundred million on payroll, okay, prove it because everything is pointing in the direction of either a rebuild or because Ted Rogers isn't around anymore, investing in the Jays only to lose money isn't on the top of the priority list. I really don't like the direction this organization is heading because it's doesn't look good right now.

iAdrian
08-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Because of injuries the deals for Harden and Bedard should probably include incentives something similar to the Mike Hampton deal except obviously more base salary. I want to see Bay in Toronto with Lind moved over to DH, maybe platoon Ruiz at 1B with Overbay. I really want to see Bedard in a Jays jersey, more then Bay.

SmoothOperator
08-27-2009, 12:00 PM
I say throw the money we have at Holliday, Figgins and resigning scutaro+barajas. EE is deadweight, so use him as a bench player. Our rotation is in better shape than our offense with young guns like Romero, Cecil, Rzepsynski all contributing in big ways and due to improve even further. Not to mention Marcum will be back barring another major setback. Halladay, Romero, Marcum, Cecil, Rzepsynski....I like what I see short term and long term. As for our lineup if we were to say just resign Scutaro....same as it is this year. Point is we'd be better of improving there than in pitching. With Figgins and Holliday We could have an intimidating lineup...

Figgins
Hill
Holliday
Lind
Wells
Overbay
Snider
Barajas
Scutaro

I'll take that lineup any day of the week.