PDA

View Full Version : Could a prime Scottie Pippen successfully guard Lebron?

King P
08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Pippen is looked at as one of the greatest defenders ever. Do you think that Pippen in his prime could successfully guard Lebron James?

Mavrix
08-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Lebron James yes. Kobe Bryant maybe.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Kobe can guard james pretty efficiently!So my answer is YES!Because Scottie is better defender than Kobe!

JayW_1023
08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes...and he would guard Kobe just as well as Shane Battier if not better...they are similair as far as defensive mindset.

JordansBulls
08-19-2009, 04:08 PM
No!! He couldn't even guard Penny Hardaway in 1996 in the ECF and Penny didn't have the scoring ability that Lebron had.

I think it depends on what you mean by guarding him. Do you mean keeping him below his numbers or keeping him under 20 ppg on less than 45% fg?

Sportfan
08-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Yes

Catfish1314
08-19-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm a Bulls fan and Scottie Pippen's D was somewhat overrated. As JB mentioned, there were occassions when his defense actually disappointed like in the 96 ECF and Hardaway, while a refined perimeter scorer, didn't have near the explosiveness, athleticism, or strength of LeBron.

Kobe, Battier, and Corey Maggette believe it or not (can come close to matching LeBron in upper body strength and athleticism) have had some mild success against LeBron. But that's about it.

DreamShaker
08-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Not if Lebron posted him up...Rodman would be a better choice to check Bron...

jersey'sfinest
08-19-2009, 04:19 PM
how can anyone really answer this lol.......the true answer will never be revealed due to the fact that it is impossible to find out haha

Catfish1314
08-19-2009, 04:20 PM

I agree. For someone to have any success defending LeBron, they need size, strength, smarts, and aggression. Rodman had all of those things. And quite a bit of that last one.

BaustinSali08
08-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Maybe, I think so, he would be able to defend Kobe better imo.

what54!?
08-19-2009, 04:30 PM
no but he could help contain him.

SteveNash
08-19-2009, 04:41 PM
No, not 1 on 1 anyway.

lorenz00
08-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Kobe can guard james pretty efficiently!So my answer is YES!Because Scottie is better defender than Kobe!

true

MTar786
08-19-2009, 04:50 PM
no.. but rodman would have given lebron a fit.
i think artest would do a better job than scottie. not saying artest is a better overall defender than pippen was. i just think ron would do better on lebron

_KB24_
08-19-2009, 05:00 PM
A Prime Artest, Bowen, Ruben Patterson could all keep Lebron in check. I would love to see MJ guard Lebron along with Barkley.

D_Rose1118
08-19-2009, 05:03 PM
yeah i think he could

pippen was a great defender

ARMIN12NBA
08-19-2009, 05:16 PM

When does Lebron ever post up though? :laugh2:

To answer the question, Pippen would be very successful in guarding Lebron.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-19-2009, 05:19 PM
A Prime Artest, Bowen, Ruben Patterson could all keep Lebron in check. I would love to see MJ guard Lebron along with Barkley.

He's a Kobe-stopper not Lebron-stopper lol.

cheerio
08-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Those are two completely different decades of players, ahrd to say

IBleedPurple
08-19-2009, 05:49 PM
It really would depend on the refs. Pippen could do pretty good against Lebron when he attempted to drive to the basket, and contain his outside shot. Lebron would definitely be slowed down.

Missing56&33
08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Pippen is looked at as one of the greatest defenders ever. Do you think that Pippen in his prime could successfully guard Lebron James?

If Q could shut him down several games i know Pippen could guard him pretty good.

Bruno
08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
No one defender can stop the LeBrons or the Kobes. Team Defense is what slows down these guys; see Cavs vs. Spurs '07, Lakers vs. Celtics '08.

Reddd
08-19-2009, 06:08 PM
No one defender can stop the LeBrons or the Kobes. Team Defense is what slows down these guys; see Cavs vs. Spurs '07, Lakers vs. Celtics '08.

Good point, but I'd say yes, Pippen could guard him

PLAYERS FAN
08-19-2009, 06:09 PM
No!! He couldn't even guard Penny Hardaway in 1996 in the ECF and Penny didn't have the scoring ability that Lebron had.

I think it depends on what you mean by guarding him. Do you mean keeping him below his numbers or keeping him under 20 ppg on less than 45% fg?

And Jamal Mashburn when he dominated Pippen when he was a mav dropping 50 points on him by using his power. So, no he will not successfully guard Lebron.:D

ya_boi
08-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Hell Yeah he shut down Magic Johnson in the finals. And guys it was Ron Harper who was Penny was burning in the ECF.

ChicagoBulls24
08-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Two words: Of course

NFLNBA
08-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Ive only seen a couple people do a good job on Lebron

Kobe
Battier

and last year the best i ever seen anyone guard Lebron was Artest just go back and watch there game against Houston

So i say yes Pippen would do a good job but you cant every COMPLETLY shut a guy like that down but he could def make things hard for him

Hawkeye15
08-19-2009, 06:43 PM
not with the new rules, where you can't touch a guy outside. LeBron is too strong, and will just go right thru him if he gets a head of steam. He would do ok with Bryant, only because he is taller, and Bryant doesn't rely on power. Similar to what Battier able to do, but Pippen was more athletic.
Unless you change the rules to allow contact out top, the only way to stop Lebron remains to collapse, and force him to shoot jumpers and hope he is missing.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-19-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't think so.

Pippenfan
08-19-2009, 06:46 PM
I think pippen would do a better job guarding him then anyone else in recent memory. Scottie was about the same height and athleticism as Lebron. Lebron is stronger than Scottie. Of course he wouldnt shut him down but even the greatest defenders cant ever completely shut down a great scorer.

Thatruth32
08-19-2009, 06:47 PM
no

Draco
08-19-2009, 07:04 PM
If you look at the 1996 ECF between the Bulls and Magic the Bulls won 4-0. In Game 1, 121 - 83 with Penny scoring 38 points. I doubt that series illustrates how Scottie is an overrated defender. It seems more like the Bulls thought the better plan was to shut everyone else down and they did. Along the similar lines I think Pippen would play excellent defense on James within the context of whatever the defenisve plan for the team would be.

ecorrea
08-19-2009, 07:06 PM
they are the same height, but lebron james weighs 20 or so pounds heavier. i think pipp could take him some nights, but prob most lebron would win this battle

D Roses Bulls
08-19-2009, 07:16 PM

what!!! you got to be kidding. penny was a monster. a prototypical 6'7 point guard who if didnt get injured would of been one of the greatest players in history. is your memory really that short? pippen could definitely guard and shut down lebron james, he did hold magic johnson, not hold i mean shut down magic in the 91 finals. so why wouldnt he beable to shut down lebron? come on man, your suppose to be a bulls fan, you should know this.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2009, 07:22 PM
what!!! you got to be kidding. penny was a monster. a prototypical 6'7 point guard who if didnt get injured would of been one of the greatest players in history. is your memory really that short? pippen could definitely guard and shut down lebron james, he did hold magic johnson, not hold i mean shut down magic in the 91 finals. so why wouldnt he beable to shut down lebron? come on man, your suppose to be a bulls fan, you should know this.

Magic was not a scoring machine, with the athletic ability of LeBron. Not even close. Magic was beyond intelligent, great ball handler and passer, but was not even in the same league of scoring ability. Pippen was used on Magic so he couldn't just turn and look over the PG, and dissect the Bulls. He had to deal with somebody with height, in his grill, so it changed his passing angles and ability to read. PLUS, Magic, if he saw Pippen again, would have watched tape, and not made that mistake again, of simply doing what he normally did, and that was to turn his back and look over the midget guarding him. Magic would have won that matchup had they faced again.
THere is nobody that can shut down LeBron, or any great scorer for that matter. In a 7 game series, they may be able to force them to have 3-4 games where they need to get that 28 points in a not so efficient way, but you can not stop a guy who averages 28 ppg and has that strength entirely

Toenail Clipper
08-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Any player in the league can guard LeBron

Teufelshunde4
08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Magic was not a scoring machine, with the athletic ability of LeBron. Not even close. Magic was beyond intelligent, great ball handler and passer, but was not even in the same league of scoring ability. Pippen was used on Magic so he couldn't just turn and look over the PG, and dissect the Bulls. He had to deal with somebody with height, in his grill, so it changed his passing angles and ability to read. PLUS, Magic, if he saw Pippen again, would have watched tape, and not made that mistake again, of simply doing what he normally did, and that was to turn his back and look over the midget guarding him. Magic would have won that matchup had they faced again.
THere is nobody that can shut down LeBron, or any great scorer for that matter. In a 7 game series, they may be able to force them to have 3-4 games where they need to get that 28 points in a not so efficient way, but you can not stop a guy who averages 28 ppg and has that strength entirely

Lets see in '91 in Game 2 when Pip started guarding Magic the series turned in Chicago's favor.
Magic had 3 games after game 2 to adjust to Pip and never did. Pip wasnt in his prime in '91 anyway. From 92 thru '97 Pip was proly the best defensive player in the NBA.

Lebron would still get his points but wouldnt he be as explosive in a 7 game playoffs series playing against Pip. No proly not...

Gotta remember Pip had 10 years of guarding MJ in Bulls practice everyday. Don't think that didnt sharpen his skills to the max?

Most NBA players are complete pu*#ies now anyway. The top 5% of the players now a days could be stars 10 or 15 years ago. To much money and favor at a young age make the young players now a days soft as butter.

If NBA players only had work ethic's like NFL or MLB players their league wouldnt be dying.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Lets see in '91 in Game 2 when Pip started guarding Magic the series turned in Chicago's favor.
Magic had 3 games after game 2 to adjust to Pip and never did. Pip wasnt in his prime in '91 anyway. From 92 thru '97 Pip was proly the best defensive player in the NBA.

Lebron would still get his points but wouldnt he be as explosive in a 7 game playoffs series playing against Pip. No proly not...

Gotta remember Pip had 10 years of guarding MJ in Bulls practice everyday. Don't think that didnt sharpen his skills to the max?

Most NBA players are complete pu*#ies now anyway. The top 5% of the players now a days could be stars 10 or 15 years ago. To much money and favor at a young age make the young players now a days soft as butter.

If NBA players only had work ethic's like NFL or MLB players their league wouldnt be dying.

I meant as far as a series, Magic would not have been beat like that again. Sometimes you don't see things right away.
LeBron would get his points.
Pippen was 1st team, he practiced with MJ. I am sure he got some work against him, but its not like Cartwright-Ewing.
Pippen was a great defender. He also played in an era where you could use your hands and your body. You can't anymore, not out top. If he guarded LeBron in todays rules, he would get beat more often than not.

D Roses Bulls
08-19-2009, 08:14 PM

man johnson was averaging 21 points, 12 assists, and 7 rebounds leading up the finals while putting up 23,13, and 9 during the regular season. i mean yes thats five fewer points but dont say johnson wasnt a scoring machine. he could have done it, but gave up those 5 or 6 points to dish out another couple more dimes which helped his team even more in the long run when portland was the favorites to go to the finals that year. a lot of people on here dont give pippen the credit he deserves. a scorer who could defend the best in the game. the man was long and athletic, if 6'6 kobe can shut down lebron like he did in the regular season then pippen definitely could and remember pippen played when there were no hand check rules and the players were actually allowed to play and not do crab dribbles like lebron does without gettin knocked down

Hawkeye15
08-19-2009, 08:53 PM
man johnson was averaging 21 points, 12 assists, and 7 rebounds leading up the finals while putting up 23,13, and 9 during the regular season. i mean yes thats five fewer points but dont say johnson wasnt a scoring machine. he could have done it, but gave up those 5 or 6 points to dish out another couple more dimes which helped his team even more in the long run when portland was the favorites to go to the finals that year. a lot of people on here dont give pippen the credit he deserves. a scorer who could defend the best in the game. the man was long and athletic, if 6'6 kobe can shut down lebron like he did in the regular season then pippen definitely could and remember pippen played when there were no hand check rules and the players were actually allowed to play and not do crab dribbles like lebron does without gettin knocked down

when did anyone shut down LeBron? He may have inefficient games against some top competition, as does any scorer.
And Magic was NOT a scorer. He did score, and is my #2 player of all time, so please don't think I am dogging him. Fact is, you could touch, and body someone then. My point still remains, in todays rules, you can't stop a giy like LeBron most the time.
and Kobe didnt shut him down. Team defense did. And Kobe had 2 bad games as well against the Cavs. So what?
Point is, I am not dogging Pippen. In todays game, with todays rules, he would have a problem with LeBron.

DetroitRipCity
08-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Yes

Lakersfan2483
08-20-2009, 12:34 AM

He definitely wouldn't stop him, but he would be effective in terms of making him work for everything and limiting his penetration. Pippen was one of the greatest perimeter defenders and help defenders in NBA history.

Lakersfan2483
08-20-2009, 12:37 AM
when did anyone shut down LeBron? He may have inefficient games against some top competition, as does any scorer.
And Magic was NOT a scorer. He did score, and is my #2 player of all time, so please don't think I am dogging him. Fact is, you could touch, and body someone then. My point still remains, in todays rules, you can't stop a giy like LeBron most the time.
and Kobe didnt shut him down. Team defense did. And Kobe had 2 bad games as well against the Cavs. So what? Point is, I am not dogging Pippen. In todays game, with todays rules, he would have a problem with LeBron.

Actually, to be correct, Kobe had a triple double in the first game at Staples and played great defense on Lebron. He made it difficult on him all night and forced him into spots where he could get help from his bigs. The 2nd time they faced eachother he had the flu, but still made plays in the 4th quarter.:) :cool:

*Just wanted to mess with you man, because I know you hate us Laker fans. lol

Trouble87
08-20-2009, 12:42 AM
No... not strong enough

SDBearsFan
08-20-2009, 12:53 AM

Pippen always had the toughest defensive assignments. Yes he could guard Lebron, and yes he could guard Kobe.

mavwar53
08-20-2009, 01:06 AM
No guys like lebron kobe and MJ you can only try to contain, you cannot shut them down

bogdanrom
08-20-2009, 01:17 AM
He could make it hard for Lebron to score and he might limit Lebron but I don't think that he can stop or shut him down.

ARMIN12NBA
08-20-2009, 01:22 AM
and Kobe didnt shut him down. Team defense did.

Nope. The Lakers went into that game deciding that they were going to let Kobe go one on one against Lebron. Phil wasn't entirely sure he liked it, but Kobe insisted he wanted to guard Lebron man on man, full court. Kobe dominated and shut him down.

And Kobe had 2 bad games as well against the Cavs. So what?
Point is, I am not dogging Pippen. In todays game, with todays rules, he would have a problem with LeBron.

Not really. Lebron averaged 19 PPG on 31% shooting (8 APG) and Kobe averaged 19 PPG on 44% shooting (7 APG). Kobe played decent. Most importantly, don't forget that Kobe completely dislocated the ring finger on his shooting hand in the beginning of the first game and that Kobe was throwing up with the flu throughout the second game. He wasn't nearly at 100% yet still delivered defensively and did decent on offense.

krest213
08-20-2009, 01:27 AM
a prime scottie can guard anybody he wants and even a prime rodman can guard LBJ

Bruno
08-20-2009, 01:33 AM
Pippen always had the toughest defensive assignments. Yes he could guard Lebron, and yes he could guard Kobe.

Not in the 2000 WCF he couldn't. He wasn't in his prime, I know, but neither was Kobe.

Prime Pippen doesn't shut down prime Kobe or LeBron. Could he guard them relatively well, all things considered? Yeah, sure.

ARMIN12NBA
08-20-2009, 01:37 AM
Not in the 2000 WCF he couldn't. He wasn't in his prime, I know, but neither was Kobe.

Prime Pippen doesn't shut down prime Kobe or LeBron.

To be fair, Steve Smith and Scottie both took turns guarding Kobe and Kobe had a couple sub-par games...Although, he also had a few great games as well.

ARMIN12NBA
08-20-2009, 01:37 AM

Prime Pippen doesn't shut down prime Kobe or LeBron. Could he guard them relatively well, all things considered? Yeah, sure.

I think that would be defined as "successful," no?

Reyes6
08-20-2009, 01:38 AM
Battier did... 33% shooting, 0 assists....

ARMIN12NBA
08-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Battier did... 33% shooting, 0 assists....

Artest did a lot of defending against Lebron in that game too though.

OaklandsFinest
08-20-2009, 01:45 AM
I think Pippen would have done a better job on Kobe then Lebron. Kobe is not nearly as strong as Lebron and Pippen was long enough to effectively tip and block Kobe's jumper, but when Lebron goes to the bucket there's no one who can stop him. The only thing you can do is try and strip the ball on the perimeter or try to force him into bad shots. Maybe KG when he was playin SF for the T'wolves would have been effective against Lebron, quick enough to stay with him and long enough to block his shot. But Kobe does not stop Lebron so stop with all that. All these people on Kobe's balls need to stop with the brown nosing. He is not as great as you think he is, look at the team in LA. It took getting him 2 centers, Lamar Odom, Trevor Ariza (the modern day Pippen), and a mixture of point guards to get him a ring without Shaq. LOL yeah better then Jordan right? jk

Ebbs
08-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Yeah he would. he played and practiced with the best why wouldn't he be able to guard lesser players.

smith&wesson
08-20-2009, 02:28 AM
scottie would do a good job slowing him down... but no one can really shut james down i dont think.. nor kobe or wade.

zambo4president
08-20-2009, 02:35 AM
Absolutely yes. Great question :clap:

GHOSTSNIPER
08-20-2009, 02:35 AM
Take away the lane and James is just another garbage bench player.Give me a legitimate reason to state otherwise...I'll be waiting awhile.

Kn1cks20
08-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Pippen would def be able to Guard Lebron....but the question that should be asked is do you think lebron would be scoring as much as he does if he was playing in the MJ era? there were no stupid touch fouls being called and the game was a lot more physical, im not taking anything away from Lebron, but the game was nice and rough back than.

MajorFloridaFan
08-20-2009, 02:59 AM
yeah pippen means championships

ElMarroAfamado
08-20-2009, 04:52 AM

just wait for him in the paint and throw the kryptonite at him

(Jumpers)

:o

DCSportsIsPain
08-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Qualify and Quantify the term "Successfully Guard" first.

Does this mean holding James under his career average?

Does it mean winning the PER battle? Or perhaps the Win Shares?

Especially with the rules in place as they are, Pippen couldn't stop LeBron James but he could certainly contain him, which is more than can be said for most defenders.

Ace33Bone
08-20-2009, 09:36 AM
I am the biggest scottie fan of all time... i dont think he could stop LBJ or Kobe but i think that he would slow both of them down significantly... LBJ is just so strong and fast and even though Pippen is the perfect match up for him LBJ would still score just not in bunches... Kobe on the otherhand just has a great jumpshot and it is hard to completely stop someone who possesses a jump shot like that

King P
08-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Qualify and Quantify the term "Successfully Guard" first.

Does this mean holding James under his career average?

Does it mean winning the PER battle? Or perhaps the Win Shares?

Especially with the rules in place as they are, Pippen couldn't stop LeBron James but he could certainly contain him, which is more than can be said for most defenders.
I mean his effiency rating. Anybody can score 30 points if they take as many shots. But if you shoot 10 for 30 and score 30 points, I would not be impressed, because it basically means you are jacking up shots. So when i talk about successfully guarding Lebron, i dont mean keeping his points low, because Lebron will get his points regardless. But keep him from going off and make him work for his points. If Lebron scores 30 but his FG% is 25, then the defender has successfully guarded Lebron IMO.

mrblisterdundee
08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
A prime Scottie Pippen could guard LeBron James as well as Ron Artest can right now.

Jahari Kavi
08-20-2009, 01:17 PM
he could guard him, but he couldn't stop him...........

macc
08-20-2009, 01:20 PM
The best player in today's NBA would prob be like a Kevin Garnett because he can be quick like Bron but yet still put a body on him. Pippen would do a decent job but in reality, noone is going to stop Lebron. Just bother them a bit.

DCB/LAL
08-20-2009, 01:21 PM
No and Lebron and kobe would probably put up just as many points as now with the old rules because even now when they get roughed up the make some of those really reallly difficult plays look easy as a matter of fact if they could play with the same rules that Pippen and everyone else played the would probably be better players cause then they could play tougher Defense against whom ever they play!!

Unruly Fan
08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
No one defender can stop the LeBrons or the Kobes. Team Defense is what slows down these guys; see Cavs vs. Spurs '07, Lakers vs. Celtics '08.Here it is.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Pippen would def be able to Guard Lebron....but the question that should be asked is do you think lebron would be scoring as much as he does if he was playing in the MJ era? there were no stupid touch fouls being called and the game was a lot more physical, im not taking anything away from Lebron, but the game was nice and rough back than.

yes, he would. He would adjust. Kobe would as well, Melo same thing. The guys who would be effected are the Tony Parker types.
LeBron would just be more physical, and Kobe would figure out how to get past it quickly as well.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Actually, to be correct, Kobe had a triple double in the first game at Staples and played great defense on Lebron. He made it difficult on him all night and forced him into spots where he could get help from his bigs. The 2nd time they faced eachother he had the flu, but still made plays in the 4th quarter.:) :cool:

*Just wanted to mess with you man, because I know you hate us Laker fans. lol

correction, I hate irrational laker fans. Big difference. There are many of you that are totally cool

InfamousTHC
08-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Penny was one of the top players in 96 you forgot? The injury bug ruined his career no telling how good Pennny would have been if he never have injury issues.

DCSportsIsPain
08-20-2009, 01:39 PM
I mean his effiency rating. Anybody can score 30 points if they take as many shots. But if you shoot 10 for 30 and score 30 points, I would not be impressed, because it basically means you are jacking up shots. So when i talk about successfully guarding Lebron, i dont mean keeping his points low, because Lebron will get his points regardless. But keep him from going off and make him work for his points. If Lebron scores 30 but his FG% is 25, then the defender has successfully guarded Lebron IMO.

LeBron's Efficiency Rating would drop some. Pippen is an inch taller and is also offensive minded, meaning James would have to play defense. James not playing defense is why he is able to do so much offensively. If he left Pippen unguarded, Scottie Pippen would score more than LeBron. Pippen led the NBA in scoring himself the year after M.J. retired. Many people seem to forget that.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 01:43 PM
LeBron's Efficiency Rating would drop some. Pippen is an inch taller and is also offensive minded, meaning James would have to play defense. James not playing defense is why he is able to do so much offensively. If he left Pippen unguarded, Scottie Pippen would score more than LeBron. Pippen led the NBA in scoring himself the year after M.J. retired. Many people seem to forget that.

LeBron was runner up in DPOY award. I am not saying those awards mean all that much, but he does play defense. And pretty well at that

DCSportsIsPain
08-20-2009, 01:55 PM
LeBron was runner up in DPOY award. I am not saying those awards mean all that much, but he does play defense. And pretty well at that

I don't know what the DPOY is based on. James was 8th in Steals and 23rd in Blocks and I don't know what stats or combination of stats they use to determine DPOY. I do know Pippen would be a handful for James, and James would be a handful for Pippen. It would have been fun to see those two go head-to-head, I think.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
I don't know what the DPOY is based on. James was 8th in Steals and 23rd in Blocks and I don't know what stats or combination of stats they use to determine DPOY. I do know Pippen would be a handful for James, and James would be a handful for Pippen. It would have been fun to see those two go head-to-head, I think.

Individually, I think James is a much better player, but Pippen was awesome.
And spg, or bpg shouldn't define it.
He was much better defensively this year, as far as help defense, one of the best. Still not the greatest straight up defender, but gets better every year.
Plus, I think his highlight blocks are what got him that many votes.

Hell yeah it would be sweet to watch Pippen vs LeBron.

JordansBulls
08-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Pippen led the NBA in scoring himself the year after M.J. retired. Many people seem to forget that.

WTF!!

Pippen never averaged more than 22 ppg.

Ansy
08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Pippen was the only player I ever saw give Magic fits. As far as I'm concerned he might be the best perimeter defender of all time.

That said, no individual is going to "successfully" guard LeBron. When defending guys with that kind of court vision, you need your team to stay on all the shooters and have help defense meet him before he's flying through the air for an and-one. It takes a great team defense for a guy like that.

Pippen would certainly be a big help though!

Callenx5
08-20-2009, 03:10 PM

Kobe can't guard Lebron, Lebron can't guard Kobe, I would say yes on Rodman cuz Lebron can't handle a physical defender.(Artest).

Bruno
08-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I think that would be defined as "successful," no?

Depends.

Eicholtz
08-20-2009, 04:26 PM
You know it!! Pippen would eat his breakfast for lunch!!! lol

PapelbonLester
08-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Depends.

Yah? so when does great defense ever stop great offense? Obviously ur a lebron hater saying Durants the future. Hes nice and all but lebrons 24 so saying he aint the future is daf.

DCSportsIsPain
08-20-2009, 04:32 PM
WTF!!

Pippen never averaged more than 22 ppg.

Wow! I either posted this in the wrong thread or had one massive brain fart.
I'm sure I had a cogent thought at one time but I will be damned if I know what it was supposed to have been.

I guess I picked the wrong week to stop taking my lithium. :pity:

ARMIN12NBA
08-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Individually, I think James is a much better player, but Pippen was awesome.
And spg, or bpg shouldn't define it.
He was much better defensively this year, as far as help defense, one of the best. Still not the greatest straight up defender, but gets better every year.
Plus, I think his highlight blocks are what got him that many votes.

Hell yeah it would be sweet to watch Pippen vs LeBron.

Pretty much. ESPN got him that #2 in DPOY.

An interesting thing about reporters/writers (as I know one) is that they don't watch any games outside of the team they have to cover. They simply can't. They watch the game and write/report for the next 4 hours after that. The only basketball they see from other teams are from the SC highlights and we all know how those are packaged to make Lebron seem like an even better defender.

Essentially, writers make their votes on stats and highlights. They simply can't watch other teams games except when they play their own team 2-4 times a year.

That is why you see a bad defender like Chris Paul get a top 5 DPOY vote. They see he led the league in steals on the stat books and watch some SC highlights of him making a steal.

Truthfully, it is not their fault. It would be impossible for them to watch most teams games and that is why you have to take a lot of these votings with a grain of salt.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Pretty much. ESPN got him that #2 in DPOY.

An interesting thing about reporters/writers (as I know one) is that they don't watch any games outside of the team they have to cover. They simply can't. They watch the game and write/report for the next 4 hours after that. The only basketball they see from other teams are from the SC highlights and we all know how those are packaged to make Lebron seem like an even better defender.

Essentially, writers make their votes on stats and highlights. They simply can't watch other teams games except when they play their own team 2-4 times a year.

That is why you see a bad defender like Chris Paul get a top 5 DPOY vote. They see he led the league in steals on the stat books and watch some SC highlights of him making a steal.

Truthfully, it is not their fault. It would be impossible for them to watch most teams games and that is why you have to take a lot of these votings with a grain of salt.

I totally agree on the voting for any of the awards that come from writers. I do think LeBron is a much improved defender, and a good one at that. He is arguably the best roamer in the league on the perimeter. He still needs work on his straight up, man to man defense. But he does make dynamic plays, and plays the safety position well.
I think he gives up too quickly though when his man has beat him, and just shifts into that mode where he will then attempt to kill the shot into the 10th row. I would like to know how many layups he gives up because the swat didnt work out

jonnyhue123
08-20-2009, 05:02 PM
idiotic question....lebron cant even fill pippens jock strap.....pippen would shut him down and drop 30 on his ***....while dunking on him like he did ewing!

Bosoxfan11
08-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Id rather have Michael Cooper