PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo sports: Dwight Howard got his feelings hurt by Shaq

JordansBulls
08-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-howardshaq081709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

here is a lot of showmanship to O’Neal’s act, but Howard understands this much is serious: One of his biggest rivals now resides in his division, playing for one of the East’s top contenders. Though their war of words has largely been one-sided, Howard and O’Neal will now meet on the court four times this season – and quite possibly again in the playoffs.

“I haven’t spoken with him,” Howard said. “I’ve seen a lot of the comments that he has said on TV and read a lot of the comments that he’s made. I would say it hurt my feelings, a little bit, just to hear him say some of the things he said.”

Looking back on last season’s Eastern Conference finals, it’s easy to understand why Cleveland wanted O’Neal so badly to counter Howard. The Cavs had no defensive answer for the Magic’s All-Star center, so they took a gamble that O’Neal is still enough of a force at age 37 to stand up to him.

“Everybody has said, ‘Cleveland got Shaq for you. Cleveland got Shaq to win a championship,’ ” Howard said.

Lakersfan2483
08-19-2009, 01:54 AM
I am looking forward to seeing the Cavs matchup with Orlando. The Shaq vs. Howard matchup should be interesting especially considering the comments O'neal has made.

ko8e24
08-19-2009, 01:57 AM
im lookin forward to see shaq and dwight beating the crap out of each other, a heavyweight battle!

dick butane
08-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Howard stole a nickname and Shaq is gonna make him say he is sorry. Of course the fun will be when Cleveland loses late in the Playoffs again and Lebron bolts for any other city that will give him a shot to get some rings already.

Trouble87
08-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Dwight is going to dominate Shaq

asandhu23
08-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Dwight is going to dominate Shaq

No way. not even these days. Shaq is still pretty damn huge...but he's lost a step. i have heard shaq has never been dunked on... i think it was his own comment

Lakerfan8032
08-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Howard's only human. I feel where he's coming from. He probably looked up to Shaq growing up and had some fun with him when he first got in the league. Shaq's comments are totally uncalled for and Howard still has never said anything derogitory towards Shaq or about Shaq. Shaq is very insecure and talks alot of **** to hide those insecurities. It's a shame since Shaq is on of the easiest going dudes in the league and has a great sense of humor. You'd figure the two of them would get along seeing as they appear to have several things in common. The only difference is Dwight clearly has a better work ethic than Shaq has ever had. It's a pity Shaq didn't take better care of himself throughout his career because if he would have, his career would be even better and more distinguished.

2_Trill
08-19-2009, 02:16 AM
toughen up dwight.. superman doesnt talk about his feelings.. dats pretty gay.. lol..

dick butane
08-19-2009, 02:19 AM
^^ It took a few posts but I finally agree with you entirely.

asandhu23
08-19-2009, 02:20 AM
Howard's only human. I feel where he's coming from. He probably looked up to Shaq growing up and had some fun with him when he first got in the league. Shaq's comments are totally uncalled for and Howard still has never said anything derogitory towards Shaq or about Shaq. Shaq is very insecure and talks alot of **** to hide those insecurities. It's a shame since Shaq is on of the easiest going dudes in the league and has a great sense of humor. You'd figure the two of them would get along seeing as they appear to have several things in common. The only difference is Dwight clearly has a better work ethic than Shaq has ever had. It's a pity Shaq didn't take better care of himself throughout his career because if he would have, his career would be even better and more distinguished.

i can't believe a Lakers fan is saying this. I am pretty Lakers fans would not have said this when he was on their team dominating in the playoffs. anyway....shaq is doing that crap these days because he has nothing to work towards anymore. his best years are gone and he wants to be remembered for being the Superman.

HuRRiCaNeS324
08-19-2009, 02:37 AM
What the hell did shaq say to hurt SUPERMAN'S feelings?

Lakerfan8032
08-19-2009, 02:38 AM
i can't believe a Lakers fan is saying this. I am pretty Lakers fans would not have said this when he was on their team dominating in the playoffs. anyway....shaq is doing that crap these days because he has nothing to work towards anymore. his best years are gone and he wants to be remembered for being the Superman.

I don't think anyone has ever praised or said that Shaq's work ethic at its best was very good. The man was blessed with extreme physical gifts and talent. The fact he didn't do everything to enhance those gifts will always be a pity to me. That was one of the big points about the Shaq-Kobe feud. Kobe was always upset that Shaq didn't train as hard as he thought he should have. But I will always appreciate Shaq's time with L.A. and the fact that he helped my team win three championships.

But the guy who said that Dwight needs to toughen up is correct.

asandhu23
08-19-2009, 02:43 AM
I don't think anyone has ever praised or said that Shaq's work ethic at its best was very good. The man was blessed with extreme physical gifts and talent. The fact he didn't do everything to enhance those gifts will always be a pity to me. That was one of the big points about the Shaq-Kobe feud. Kobe was always upset that Shaq didn't train as hard as he thought he should have. But I will always appreciate Shaq's time with L.A. and the fact that he helped my team win three championships.

But the guy who said that Dwight needs to toughen up is correct.

yes but he did work hard enough to place himself in HOF. he did help Kobe get all those championships. and yes Dwight needs to toughen up. he needs to become the next David Robinson

Lakerfan8032
08-19-2009, 03:07 AM
yes but he did work hard enough to place himself in HOF. he did help Kobe get all those championships. and yes Dwight needs to toughen up. he needs to become the next David Robinson

I'm beginning to think that you enjoy argueing with me, no matter what the subject may be.:D

azkarraga
08-19-2009, 03:11 AM
when reading about theses two i only feel sorry for lebron.

asandhu23
08-19-2009, 03:27 AM
I'm beginning to think that you enjoy argueing with me, no matter what the subject may be.:D

nah i am not arguing. its a conversation.

jbeezy
08-19-2009, 03:29 AM
Shaq needs to stfu. He is lookin like an idiot starting **** with everyone. Last year when Kobe lost in the finals, With David Beckham, and now with Dwight. Wtf is his problem?

BaustinSali08
08-19-2009, 04:58 AM
What the hell did shaq say to hurt SUPERMAN'S feelings?

That's what I was thinking, Is he mad he took the Superman nickname so he said I'm your Lex Luthor B****. Idk.

Bulls_fan90
08-19-2009, 05:24 AM
Shaq needs to stfu. He is lookin like an idiot starting **** with everyone. Last year when Kobe lost in the finals, With David Beckham, and now with Dwight. Wtf is his problem?

small man syndrome

DitchDat
08-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Will Shaq flop again and get mad when confronted with it???

Shaq needs to shut the hell up, the act worn thin

NYKnickFanatic
08-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Aww, poor Dwight. :p

lakerboy
08-19-2009, 08:11 AM
This is like WWE, only real. Dwight shouldn't be talking about his feelings in the NBA, especially being hurt by a guy.

JordansBulls
08-19-2009, 08:48 AM
i can't believe a Lakers fan is saying this. I am pretty Lakers fans would not have said this when he was on their team dominating in the playoffs.

I cant believe it either.

younggunn113
08-19-2009, 09:07 AM

Why is this so hard to believe? Shaq came into camp out of shape, never really played a full season: 51, 60, 49, 79, 74, 67, 67, 67. It was also understood Shaq kind of mailed it in until the playoffs during the regular season. Part of the fued Kobe was quoted as saying, "There's more to life than whose team this is. But this is his team, so it's time for him to act like it. That means no more coming into camp fat and out of shape, when your team is relying on your leadership on and off the court. It also means no more blaming others for our team's failure, or blaming staff members for not overdramatizing your injuries so that you avoid blame for your lack of conditioning." I mean he did help us win 3 championships, which im very thankful for, but the fact is he never worked his tail off in the preseason then, why would he now?

Saying Dwight needs to become the next Robinson is not fair to him. Robinson came into the league at 24, Dwight Howard is just 23 right now. He's still a kid, and he's improved his rebounding and defense every year. Just because he doesn't score 25 a game doesn't mean anything. Thats why they aquired Carter and have Lewis. Shaq is going to get embarassed when they play each other and I can't wait. Instead of being such a ********** shaq should try to be a mentor to Howard. I mean we can't help but compare young players to players of generations past, but when we do this we ignore the greatness we are seeing from these guys. They are honestly doing things now that we are going to be telling people about 15-20 years down the road once they are gone. We may not have MJ, Magic, Bird, David Robinson; but we have Kobe, LeBron, CP3, Howard, Duncan. The comparisons are inevitable and Howard has some work to do, but at 23 years old, he has plenty of time to work on the little things in his game.

prodigy
08-19-2009, 09:12 AM
howard did steal the superman thing from shaq, thats a fact. van gundy also called shaq out for some reason.

But this is good, howard is the type of guy who plays like crap when he's mad. Shaq is clearly in his head. Good job shaq.

Double_R
08-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Shaq is not in his head, he's in Shaq's head that is why Shaq keeps talking S*%#, because he is upset he's not the most dominate big man in the league. Shaq talks about everybody that is better than him, he just wants his name in the same sentence as Kobe, Dwade, DH, etc. He runs his mouth because he is insecure and an underachiever. If shaq wouldve worked harder when he was with the Lakers they would have 5 rings instead of 3 and that is why Kobe and him didn't get along.

The comercial "where amazing happens" in the NBA playoffs said it all... it's the one where Kobe throws Shaq an alley oop dunk and then shaq runs down the court looking at his hand and Kobe tries to give Shaq a high five and he runs right by him. That is Shaq in a nut shell, its all about Shaq and when it's not he becomes a baby

Lakerfan8032
08-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Why is this so hard to believe? Shaq came into camp out of shape, never really played a full season: 51, 60, 49, 79, 74, 67, 67, 67. It was also understood Shaq kind of mailed it in until the playoffs during the regular season. Part of the fued Kobe was quoted as saying, "There's more to life than whose team this is. But this is his team, so it's time for him to act like it. That means no more coming into camp fat and out of shape, when your team is relying on your leadership on and off the court. It also means no more blaming others for our team's failure, or blaming staff members for not overdramatizing your injuries so that you avoid blame for your lack of conditioning." I mean he did help us win 3 championships, which im very thankful for, but the fact is he never worked his tail off in the preseason then, why would he now?

Saying Dwight needs to become the next Robinson is not fair to him. Robinson came into the league at 24, Dwight Howard is just 23 right now. He's still a kid, and he's improved his rebounding and defense every year. Just because he doesn't score 25 a game doesn't mean anything. Thats why they aquired Carter and have Lewis. Shaq is going to get embarassed when they play each other and I can't wait. Instead of being such a ********** shaq should try to be a mentor to Howard. I mean we can't help but compare young players to players of generations past, but when we do this we ignore the greatness we are seeing from these guys. They are honestly doing things now that we are going to be telling people about 15-20 years down the road once they are gone. We may not have MJ, Magic, Bird, David Robinson; but we have Kobe, LeBron, CP3, Howard, Duncan. The comparisons are inevitable and Howard has some work to do, but at 23 years old, he has plenty of time to work on the little things in his game.

Yes! When you are being paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 million a year your season doesn't end after the playoffs or whatever. Part of that is the time and effort you need to put into yourself and your game to improve, to show that you are the leader and to have your teammates follow that example. That takes place during the off-season when you can put in all the time to improve and workout real hard.

What Shaq did following the 2002 season infuriated me and still does a little to this day. I'm sure some remember when he messed up his toe and he needed surgery to have it corrected. The time for that is during the off-season so he could come into training camp ready to go and try and get that fourth consecutive championship. The re-hab would have ended up taking place during the summer so the fun things that he likes to do would have been limited but those are the sacrifices that leaders make (who are also making some staggering amounts of money). However, Shaq decided to take a different approach to the situation. He said something to the effect of that since he got hurt on company time, he would heal on company time. Pushing his surgery until the start of training camp so he could fully enjoy his summer.

What kind of ****ing **** is that for the team leader to say? Shaq never really would completely sacrifice for himself or the team. I'm not saying he wouldn't train but he certainly wouldn't put it all on the line.

Double_R
08-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Btw, Dwight is just a kid and probably looked up to shaq and now he has realized that Shaq is not the guy he looked up to. Plus it's not like Dwight is crying about shaq talkin Sh*#, he is just sayin he is suprised and disappointed that this is the real shaq, not the one you see on tv.

Double_R
08-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Exactly Lakersfan,

My best friend is a die hard lakers fan and he still talks about how shaq wouldnt have surgery on his time, why should he waste his summer, when he can do it on LA's time and dime. That is a perfect example of Shaq.

GAWDtv
08-19-2009, 09:51 AM
The NBA should give him some kickback bonuses if the TV ratings for CLE ORL is higher than last season/usual. All you little sheep boys hating on MDE I'm sure will tune in to watch Shaq get his @$$ kicked. And the smart b-ball fans will tune in to see the great match-up we know it will be.

P.S. You all sound like jealous little girls with the hate you post about great HARDWORKING athletes. If you think Shaq can do what he does without being fit and healthy, if you believe it's just God given ability he has used throughout his career instead of excercise and practice you should seriously pay more attention in school, maybe sign up for som remedial lessons/summer school/tutoring because you need to get much smarter to servive the big bad world children...:facepalm:

GCOOKIE7
08-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Oay Shaq's post game was great. All he really ever needed to work on was staying healthy and free throws.

tr3ymill3r
08-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Dwight should have seen this coming, if you're going to call yourself Superman and be a better Superman than Shaq was at that age I can only imagine it's rubbed Shaq the wrong way too. At the end of the day we know that Shaq is more obsessed with the Man of Steel than Jerry Seinfeld, he's got the S on his arm, his car, his house, it's everywhere. I think Shaq at one point actually believed if he got shot he wouldn't die. If Dwight ever gets a Kobe like player he'll win more championships than Shaq, and he knows it. Shaq is a big kid who uses the media and spotlight to get attention and to put down others in front him. He's really not all that funny, more immature than anything else, but seriously you'd be ******** not to laugh at someone who tells a joke when they are 7' 300 lbs. Shaq VS is out of pity, don't egg this on, hopefully Shaq will just go away. He had his run and knows there is no more motivation..."win one for the king" cute. It took him 2 years to win in Miami and if it takes that long in Cleveland, LeBron will be gone.

Double_R
08-19-2009, 10:13 AM
GAWDTV,

Thanks for your magical words, spoken oh so effortlessly. If you think that Shaq talking sh*% is the reason why people are going to watch the Cavs vs Orl game then you are on the same intelligence level as Shaq. I can think of a million reasons that people are going to watch those games and Shaq is about 5 on the list and that's is why Shaq is running his mouth, because he is not relevant like he used to be.

Giantwarrior
08-19-2009, 10:20 AM
what a P-U-S-S-Y

magichatnumber9
08-19-2009, 10:25 AM
I used to look up to Shaq, he was a great center, and a law enforcement officer, and seemed to cherish his role model status to kids. Well let me tell you times have changed for the worse. Ever sense his gold digging whore of a wife took his life savings he has been the biggest piece of **** in the league. His mouth and Ego are so big that if you get to close you will find yourself in orbit. He is sour and full of envy and hate. Its like he went from the Jedi to the dark side. Well Sith Shaq have a great year.

NJrockPD
08-19-2009, 10:29 AM
No one talks about shaq for his game anymore so he figures he will get in the news in other ways, like picking on younger players.

There is no excuse, shaq is 37 years old talking smack to a 22 year old kid who hasn't done anything to him. Shaq your pushing 40 find something better to do then bullying kids 15 years younger then you. It sucks because I've always liked Shaq too, he just has to get used to being out of the spotlight . . . . I don't know if he can though.

Mikeleafs
08-19-2009, 10:52 AM
I hope Dwight rips Shaq a new one!

Raph12
08-19-2009, 10:54 AM
No way. not even these days. Shaq is still pretty damn huge...but he's lost a step. i have heard shaq has never been dunked on... i think it was his own comment

No way Shaq can keep pace with Dwight man; for starters, Dwight's 23, Shaq's 37, Dwight is much quicker, nearly as strong and much more athletics than O'Neal. Not to mention, despite Shaq's experience, Dwight is a better defender, so on offense Shaq becomes a non-factor. I'm sure the Cavs aren't trying to find someone to "out-do" Dwight, the key for the Cavs is to make it difficult for Dwight, which I'm sure Shaq will attempt to do and may even be successful, but Dwight will get his 20-15-3 per game, the difference is he won't shoot 90% to get it.

cubulls
08-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Shaq will always be the real Superman. Dwight is just carbon copy wimp. He needs to be original and come up with his own superhero moniker.

Ace33Bone
08-19-2009, 10:59 AM
I think it will b a classic match up and shaq better be ready to back up everything he has been saying

CraigtheSoxFan
08-19-2009, 11:16 AM
shaq would beat howard in a tip off

MackSnackWrap
08-19-2009, 11:19 AM
This is gonna be a crazy battle whenever orlando and cleveland play each other, Shaqs still a dominate force and he wont be pushed around by Dwight on the paint like any regular Center

macc
08-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Alot of people don't realize that Shaq doesn't mean everything he says. I think he's doing it mainly for the ratings. Theres a reason why you see Shaq and Kobe on Christmas every year and that's not because of Kobe, that's because of Shaq. He's great at marketing, always has always will be. People can hate on what he says but guess what, you keep tuning it to see what he's gonna say next.

In one interview he said the entire ordeal with him and Kobe not getting along was all an act, obviously I don't think it was but after the fact he said he did it to get ratings.

I'm a Magic fan but I've always respected Shaq. He always keeps things interesting and he's good for the game of basketball. I like the rivalry going between the Magic and Cavs. Its going to make the games that much more exciting to watch this upcoming year.

Shaq knows what he's doing. Just sit back and watch him play it all out.

THiiRTYONE
08-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Yeahh, now I wanna see these two teams face off :)

m26555
08-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Oh yes he has. He even admitted it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A6G8t6zsyI

I'm pretty sure Jordan and Shawn Kemp have dunked on him, too.

jeffvdone
08-19-2009, 12:00 PM
howard stole a nickname and shaq is gonna make him say he is sorry. Of course the fun will be when cleveland loses late in the playoffs again and lebron bolts for any other city that will give him a shot to get some rings already.

good point the cavs never give lebron a chance to win a title...what are you an idiot? So your telling me he goes to new york next year by himself with no talent and its nba finals? With the salary cap probably going down next year noteam willl have enough money to sign two superstars

MTar786
08-19-2009, 01:27 PM

i think dwight hurt shaqs feelings when he blatantly tried taking his superman nickname from him. using the superman theme was shaqs thing. the cape made it more obvious he wanted the nickname. so ya i dont blame shaq for saying wat he said

MTar786
08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Dwight should have seen this coming, if you're going to call yourself Superman and be a better Superman than Shaq was at that age I can only imagine it's rubbed Shaq the wrong way too. At the end of the day we know that Shaq is more obsessed with the Man of Steel than Jerry Seinfeld, he's got the S on his arm, his car, his house, it's everywhere. I think Shaq at one point actually believed if he got shot he wouldn't die. If Dwight ever gets a Kobe like player he'll win more championships than Shaq, and he knows it. Shaq is a big kid who uses the media and spotlight to get attention and to put down others in front him. He's really not all that funny, more immature than anything else, but seriously you'd be ******** not to laugh at someone who tells a joke when they are 7' 300 lbs. Shaq VS is out of pity, don't egg this on, hopefully Shaq will just go away. He had his run and knows there is no more motivation..."win one for the king" cute. It took him 2 years to win in Miami and if it takes that long in Cleveland, LeBron will be gone.

if ur trying to say dwight is better than shaq in his day.. then u r officially the biggest fool on PSD.

lewis, nelson, carter is more than enough to be compared to a young kobe not even ii his prime. so now i guess according to u.. the magic should 4peat?

i would take the shaq of 3 years ago over the howard of today

shaq in his prime (5-7 years ago) is WITHOUT a question better than dwight will EVER be.
dwights good.. but nothing like shaq in his prime was

j-bay
08-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Does this mean Dwight is goingto be on shaq's new tv show shaq show

xbrackattackx
08-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Hopefully Shaq calls it a day soon and becomes a sports announcer like barkley, That would be entertainment.

Raph12
08-19-2009, 02:04 PM
if ur trying to say dwight is better than shaq in his day.. then u r officially the biggest fool on PSD.

lewis, nelson, carter is more than enough to be compared to a young kobe not even ii his prime. so now i guess according to u.. the magic should 4peat?

i would take the shaq of 3 years ago over the howard of today

shaq in his prime (5-7 years ago) is WITHOUT a question better than dwight will EVER be.
dwights good.. but nothing like shaq in his prime was

The teams were not close to being as stacked as they are today with LA, SAS, BOS and CLE as stacked as they are. Shaq and Kobe had no real rivals back in 2000-2002, which is why they easily dominated. The same Shaq (prime) and Kobe (young/raw) tandem today would have no chance of a 3-peat against todays elite teams.

The "shaq of 3 years ago" was 34 and "the howard of today" is 23, if you'd really take Shaq at 34 who had nothing left, over an extremely raw, defensive minded Dwight at 23, then I think that "u r officially the biggest fool on PSD."

Didn't know you could predict the future to say Dwight will never be as good, tell me oh great one, what are the lottery numbers to the $193m jackpot in Italy? I think I'll catch the next flight out.

Shaq in his prime was a big bull, post-and-dunk, post-and-dunk, it wasn't until much later when he would develop a short hook shot. With the rules today (5 second back-to-the-basket and 3 seconds in-the-key) it makes that type of offense (post and dunk) ineffective.

Shaq hadn't won his first championship until he was 28, give Dwight some time and then make this career comparison. Dwight is not as good as Shaq in his prime, yet, as of today Dwight is better than Shaq, but he still has a long way to go to be better than Shaq throughout his career.

Jahari Kavi
08-19-2009, 02:06 PM
dwight soundin kinda cakeish..."he hurt my feelings"?????.....

Double_R
08-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Mtard786,

I hope you read Ralph12's post, shaq

KnicksPain
08-19-2009, 02:11 PM
small man syndrome

:laugh:

Double_R
08-19-2009, 02:16 PM
the lakers beat the pacers, sixers, and nets, none of which are dominate teams. The competition was much weaker than it is today. Also, when the Lakers did lose it was because Tim Duncan and the Admiral owned shaq, just like Hakeem the dream did when he swept shaq's magic.

Drunk Kosar 19
08-19-2009, 02:25 PM

u r a pretty lakers fan? how about a date?

jer3miah
08-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Dwight didn't steal Shaq's nickname cause it was given to him. "You can't give yourself your own nickname, someone has to give it to you....SHAQ!" Dwight looks good and is now smooth at jumpers. We will see who wins when season starts and ends....

Go Magic!

theimortalone
08-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Wow Shaq. :pity:

D1JM
08-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Oh yes he has. He even admitted it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A6G8t6zsyI

I'm pretty sure Jordan and Shawn Kemp have dunked on him, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUkuQQxh-pc&feature=related

Jordan made shaq look stupid

sNaKeS
08-19-2009, 03:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUkuQQxh-pc&feature=related

Jordan made shaq look stupid

Jordan made a lot of people look ridiculous, especially john starks, patrick ewing, and byron russell.:D

JordansBulls
08-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Does this mean Dwight is goingto be on shaq's new tv show shaq show

Shaq doesn't like him because he stole his name "Superman" and that people will view Dwight higher than him now in Orlando.

Lakerfan8032
08-19-2009, 06:18 PM
u r a pretty lakers fan? how about a date?

:laugh2::laugh2: Some people just need to go back to elementary school to learn how to write a sentence and to spell.