PDA

View Full Version : Ricciardi's take on unsigned picks

nstojic
08-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I can't fault JP for this one.. if he gives them what they want in terms of $$$, it would just go against my dislike of the mlb draft system and everything that's wrong with it... oh well.. i guess we'll just take our butt-load of picks next year and do it all again...

also, i heard on the radio that beeston has a very good relationship with boras... still surprising we couldn't land paxton...

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090818&content_id=6485664&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor

"There's a limit on everything," Ricciardi said on Tuesday. "Obviously, you just can't give everything that everybody wants. That wouldn't be good business. So, from our end, we put a monetary figure on it. We thought we were very generous, but it wasn't enough.

"It's just a different world today. Kids say no to a lot of money. What can I tell you?"

Toronto selected Paxton with the 37th overall pick in the compensation round between the first and second rounds, while Eliopoulos and Barrett were taken in the second and third rounds, respectively. Since the Jays did not sign that trio, the club will receive additional picks in the compensation, second and third rounds in next June's Draft.

Ricciardi said the organization was well aware of the risk involved in selecting Paxton (a client of agent Scott Boras) as well as a pair of high school arms. The understanding helped convince the Jays that they could afford to pay above slot in order to sign some of their other picks, including Jake Marisnisk, a talented high school outfielder who slipped to the third round.

According to Ricciardi, the Jays were never really close to reaching agreements with either Paxton or Eliopoulos, whose negotiations were led by Jays interim president and CEO Paul Beeston and assistant general manager Alex Anthopoulos, respectively. Ricciardi added that the club felt it was nearing a deal with Barrett, but the offer was not high enough.

"At the end, we weren't giving them enough money, I guess," Ricciardi said.

bomber0104
08-18-2009, 09:42 PM
I would have been happy with Barrett. Should have given him the money. He probably has the highest potential of the 3

ChacinCologne
08-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Who could we have drafted and signed easily instead?

Instead of Paxton:
SP Brad Boxberger $857,000

Instead of Eliopolous:
SP Alex Wilson $470,700

Intead of Barrett:
1B Jonathan Singleton $200,000

wowzman
08-18-2009, 10:22 PM
According to Ricciardi, the Jays were never really close to reaching agreements with either Paxton or Eliopoulos, whose negotiations were led by Jays interim president and CEO Paul Beeston and assistant general manager Alex Anthopoulos, respectively. Ricciardi added that the club felt it was nearing a deal with Barrett, but the offer was not high enough.

Hmmmmmmm.

Looks like you can't blame JP for not getting it done.

Seems he may have taken a backseat.

donatolla
08-18-2009, 10:22 PM
There are days where I really hate the draft process.

Why exactly do players who have never played major league ball think they deserve million dollar contracts again?

Give them an incentive to make it to the bigs and be productive - but to sign their first contract?

BlueJayFanDan
08-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Drafting is somewhat ridiculous in all sports. Granted Hockey, Football, and Baseball have good drafts but the money thrown out on these kids is insanity. For instance, Matt Stafford, the first pick in the NFL draft in April got a 6 year 72 million dollar deal. Honestly the guy has never played an NFL game before and he got a higher contract then the majority of starting qb's in the NFL. Rookies need to have some sort of limit for money. They need to be drafted and sign deals for like anywhere from 1 to 5 years for less then 1 mil per year. Otherwise it just gets ridiculous. The deal that Strasburg got from the Nats is pretty insane as well for a guy who has never even played in the minor leagues yet. I am tired of all these money hungry kids getting drafted and begging for huge deals without even playing a game yet.

leafsjays1
08-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I totally agree that there should be a rookie salary cap like Stafford making more than Peyton Manning is total BS

The_Realist
08-18-2009, 11:33 PM
The media is saying that this signals that the Jays have no money to sign prospects. But what is J.P. supposed to do, give them all a million. That is a lot of money to be spending, even for the richest teams(well, except the Yankees).

T.O.Bombinators
08-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Sitting on my balcony, sipping coffee and reading today's clips. Food for thought: Strasburg bonus $15+ mil. Halladay 09 salary $14.25 mil.http://twitter.com/MLBastian?max_id=3397636097&page=2&twttr=true

Gibby
08-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Hmmmmmmm.

Looks like you can't blame JP for not getting it done.

Seems he may have taken a backseat.

i found it weird. is it normal for a CEO & Presient to be negotiating deals with draft picks. it seems like JP has a lesser role now. is this a sign that JP wont be around for long.

nstojic
08-19-2009, 08:25 AM
There are days where I really hate the draft process.

Why exactly do players who have never played major league ball think they deserve million dollar contracts again?

Give them an incentive to make it to the bigs and be productive - but to sign their first contract?

and especially the mlb draft.. it's loaded with players that will never amount to much..... IMO the biggest crapshoot of a draft in pro sports.. no?

nstojic
08-19-2009, 08:26 AM
i found it weird. is it normal for a CEO & Presient to be negotiating deals with draft picks. it seems like JP has a lesser role now. is this a sign that JP wont be around for long.

i don't find it weird as much as it's just beeston... he's the caliber of exec who can take control whenever he wants... if he says, jp i'll handle the paxton deal...i know boras, there's nothing jp or any other gm could really say...

scotttube
08-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Dang i wish they had gotten Barrett. He has a mid-90's fastball and was out of high school.

scottythegreat1
08-19-2009, 10:35 AM
I dont blame the Blue Jays for not signing Boras clients. We all know about Boras clients and the demands placed by him, so why sign his players?? Theres nothing worse than having these players get more than 5 million for not even reaching A-ball, but someone way down in the 8th round can still make it to the big leagues eventually and do as well.

JP has normally avoided Boras, there are a few exceptions, but having three Boras clients in the draft are unlike the Jays. Beeston was pulling the strings on the draft this year, I can tell.

T.O. Fan
08-19-2009, 01:00 PM

It was Anthopolous that resigned both Rios and Hill, so I don't think that is necessarily out of the norm.

As far as Beeston goes, I guess he's the final say as far as the price tag goes so I can understand why he would be involved.

Shifty1 69
08-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Anthopolous explained things very well on Bob McCowns show. He explained how in years past they have always drafted under the philosophy of "take the guy that we know we can get signed (or have even already worked out something with his agents)" whereas, this year they decided to draft the player they feel is the best available and be prepared to go above slot to get them signed. As for Paxton and Elio, he said they went to a large number with them, it wasnt enough, so when they weighed the $'s it would take to sign them versus the knowledge that they will get equal draft picks next year to replace them, this is what happens.

Nice to see them stick to their guns and do what they felt was best. Happy with those that they signed.:clap: .

Zaunnie
08-19-2009, 06:34 PM
So in the end, Burnett left, and we got absolutely nothing in return from the Yanks. Un****ing believable.

T.O. Fan
08-20-2009, 09:33 AM
So in the end, Burnett left, and we got absolutely nothing in return from the Yanks. Un****ing believable.

Nope, the Jays still get a compensatory pick next year.

JaysFan87
08-20-2009, 09:39 AM

No we still get the picks next year.

Zaunnie
08-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Is it the same # pick?

Jamiecballer
08-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Is it the same # pick?

pretty much. at least thats my understanding. i'm still kinda pissed though. that's one year further away from contributing.

Billyen
08-21-2009, 08:37 AM
I just saw this...Total BS. I thought he was asking 3-5 million the way JP and Beeston made it sound. This team is in trouble and they are playing poker with penny on it's future. 350k is about 3 games salary for Wells. I can assume it was the same for the #3 pick. Jee...lets save a few hundred thousand.

You can't play that kind of game with a Boras client. You have to know that before you pick him...he'll hold out for more. I'm really starting to get concerned about the front office.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/games-meaningless-so-jays-plan-to-shut-down-young-pitchers/article1259467/

Supplemental first-round draft pick James Paxton (37th overall) and the Blue Jays were only $350,000 apart in contract talks this week, according to Baseball America, but the Blue Jays would not budge from their offer of $1-million. The publication said the left-handed pitcher and his agent, Scott Boras, came off his $1.5-million asking price and were willing to sign for $1.35-million. More bunk, according to a Blue Jays official, who said the Blue Jays never made a counteroffer to what the native of Ladner, B.C., was asking.

blujaysrock
08-21-2009, 08:42 AM
I just saw this...Total BS. I thought he was asking 3-5 million the way JP and Beeston made it sound. This team is in trouble and they are playing poker with penny on it's future. 350k is about 3 games salary for Wells. I can assume it was the same for the #3 pick. Jee...lets save a few hundred thousand.

You can't play that kind of game with a Boras client. You have to know that before you pick him...he'll hold out for more. I'm really starting to get concerned about the front office.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/games-meaningless-so-jays-plan-to-shut-down-young-pitchers/article1259467/

Supplemental first-round draft pick James Paxton (37th overall) and the Blue Jays were only $350,000 apart in contract talks this week, according to Baseball America, but the Blue Jays would not budge from their offer of $1-million. The publication said the left-handed pitcher and his agent, Scott Boras, came off his $1.5-million asking price and were willing to sign for $1.35-million. More bunk, according to a Blue Jays official, who said the Blue Jays never made a counteroffer to what the native of Ladner, B.C., was asking.

:facepalm:

Damn it JP at least counter with 1.25 or something, we might have gotten him.

wamco
08-22-2009, 07:59 AM
what would have happened if we gave in to every draft pick and just paid them their asking price (or whatever price it took for them to sign). Would the world have stopped at blue jays way?

wamco
08-22-2009, 08:00 AM
raise beer prices by a penny to offset the cost.