PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone sleeping on the Denver Nuggets?

BkOriginalOne
08-18-2009, 11:28 AM
I believe that the Denver Nuggets have to be considered in the running for the title this year.
I think this is the year that Carmelo Anthony will really come on. We all saw how great he played in the playoffs last season:
PPG 27.2
RPG 5.80
APG 4.1
I don't know people think he can't play like that for a season.
Melo will average about 25-27ppg, 8-10rpg and 4apg next season.
Billups brought out greatness in melo during the playoffs, let's see what he does to the team after a whole training camp.
How many teams can say they have a finals MVP starting point guard who is going to tutor and lead a roster that runs as follows:
Carmelo Anthony, Jr Smith, Keynon Martin, Nene, Aaron Afflalo, Chris Anderson, Anthony Carter, Ty Lawson, Renaldo Balkman.

The nuggets also have about $15 million dollars worth of trade exceptions, they also saved enough change to re-sign carter for cheap after Keliza and Jones walked.
Also very underrated is the pickup of Ty Lawson.
He is going to be in the top 10 rookie rankings all season. Having spands of fantastic games. He might even be looking at a 15-20 min role.
He is going to change the pace and Denver Nuggets bench with JR Smith and Anderson

Who would you rather have as your starting 5?
Billups, JR Smith, Carmelo, Keynon, Nene
OR
Billups, Hamilton, Tayshaun, Sheed, Wallace

DCSportsIsPain
08-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Because Carmelo Anthony is seriously over-rated and the Nuggets don't have much else of note.
They are a perennial second-tier also ran team.

BaustinSali08
08-18-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't think Anthony is over-rated he came out strong last season, but I think the dominance of the Lakers and Cavs, along with the Big 3 in Boston, everyone looks past Denver cause they don't have that one SUPER star. Anthony is a great player, just not that star like Kobe or James.

twoearl
08-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Its not that everyone is sleeping on them is just that they are not good enough to beat LA or SA. So they are only considered 3rd place at best in the west.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Because Carmelo Anthony is seriously over-rated and the Nuggets don't have much else of note.

Carmelo Anthony is one of the most underrated superstars in the game.... he never gets no love!!

Joshtd1
08-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I think its probably because they really havent made any moves to upgrade their team this year, while SA/Mavs/Blazers have.

stensley
08-18-2009, 12:14 PM
other than Anthony, Denver do not have a go to guy when anthony is having a bad game or the defense is over playing him

DCSportsIsPain
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Carmelo Anthony is one of the most underrated superstars in the game.... he never gets no love!!

Anthony put up the same numbers as Antawn Jamison did for the Wizards last season, only Jamison did it on a team missing the other four starters. Yet, Anthony was voted as being easily one of the Top Ten at his position and Jamison squeaked in.

Under-rated, my ***. He's a second-tier player who gets more respect than he deserves.

blackjack_119
08-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Carmelo Anthony is one of the most overrated "superstars" in the game.

Fixed

NYKnickFanatic
08-18-2009, 12:25 PM
:sleep:

DetroitRipCity
08-18-2009, 12:33 PM
nuggets would be hard to sleep on

jimbobjarree
08-18-2009, 12:34 PM
I still think Denver are overated. I mean, not their fault, they got to the conference finals when they should have, due to every other team having injuries in the West. Spurs, Jazz and Houston all were riddled with injuries throughout the season, and IMO would have finished higher than the Nugs, Terry was out for Dallas, Chandler injured for the Hornets and Bynum was out for the Lakers, pretty much every other playoff team were hit by them.

And even in the playoffs, had Manu been fit I doubt the Nuggets would have made it to the conference finals.

If they come second this year then fair play, I take back my opinion, but right now, for me, they are still unproven. They got to the conference finals with a year of more or less perfect health, maybe with a few games missed here and there, but not to the extent of the teams I mentioned above, and due to their age the only way is down, while all the other teams either made trades or are young and will continue to improve. It'll be tight, but dont expect them to 2nd seed or go to the conference finals again.

DetroitRipCity
08-18-2009, 12:36 PM
and... I would take
Billups - Rip - Tay - Sheed - Ben

cause they have 1 thing the other lineup doesnt

http://www.donyell.net/detroit/piston6.jpg

youngwest
08-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Denver will be lucky to crack the top 5 next year Face it most teams aquired players that are major difference makers denver did not they lose defense ace dahntay jones and heavy fire power of the bench n kleza. wat this means is jr smith is now ur starter and lets be real on that bench who can create enough opportunitys to giv melo n billups adecent breather not to mention denver was unusually healthy last year with players like kmart n nene don expect it last

azkarraga
08-18-2009, 12:39 PM
i liked them a lot last year, but still i do believe their roster needs some shaking. there should've been more movement. let's wait till the summer is over.

Jah king
08-18-2009, 12:47 PM
I believe that the Denver Nuggets have to be considered in the running for the title this year.
I think this is the year that Carmelo Anthony will really come on. We all saw how great he played in the playoffs last season:
PPG 27.2
RPG 5.80
APG 4.1
Billups brought out greatness in melo during the playoffs, let's see what he does to the team after a whole training camp.
How many teams can say they have a finals MVP starting point guard who is going to tutor and lead a roster that runs as follows:
Carmelo Anthony, Jr Smith, Keynon Martin, Nene, Aaron Afflalo, Chris Anderson, Anthony Carter, Ty Lawson, Renaldo Balkman.

The nuggets also have about $15 million dollars worth of trade exceptions, they also saved enough change to re-sign carter for cheap after Keliza and Jones walked.
He is going to be in the top 10 rookie rankings all season. Having spands of fantastic games. He might even be looking at a 15-20 min role.
He is going to change the pace and Denver Nuggets bench with JR Smith and Anderson

OR

White trash , prison tatts and with exception of billups " no brains" do not win championships..

ochoa3791
08-18-2009, 01:13 PM
I think Denver is the only team that if you take away there best player (melo) they still have a chance to win. what other team can you say that about? SA- Duncan was hyrt still playing and they lost in the 1st rd. LA without Kobe no way, Cleveland no chance, BOS without KG nope.

Hellcrooner
08-18-2009, 01:13 PM
they overachoeved last season so ony way is down.

Hawkeye15
08-18-2009, 01:23 PM
because they have been stagnant, while the other contenders have improved. On top of that, Portland looks to be passing them due to maturation. I just don't see Denver as an elite team this upcoming season.

Chronz
08-18-2009, 01:52 PM
What players stand to regress, and what players stand to improve?

I dont see how Kmart or Billups slipping much, compared to Nene/JR's/Melo's continued improvement.

JordansBulls
08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
People are sleeping on them because all the other contenders have an allstar big man.

TheMicrowave
08-18-2009, 02:05 PM
They haven't upgraded from last year and other teams have, that is why.

K-Mart and Billups are only getting older. JR Smith and Birdman are good off the bench, but not good enough.

Kobe4Life
08-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Wrong, no one is sleeping on them. They just know Lakers are taking home the ring for the next few years and theres no point in talking about other west teams. Enjoy.

CityofTreez
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
They didn't upgrade at all this year!

Spurs, Lakers, Cavs, Magic, Celtics are all keeping the Nuggest awake at least!

PrettyBoyJ
08-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Its Hard to see Denver competing with the Lakers Or the Spurs.. Its As If the western conference finals is already set. With A Healthy Ginobli getting pass the Spurs will be hard and with the addition of Artest getting Pass the lakers will be even harder..

Hawkeye15
08-18-2009, 02:24 PM
What players stand to regress, and what players stand to improve?

I dont see how Kmart or Billups slipping much, compared to Nene/JR's/Melo's continued improvement.

I don't see Billups slipping, Kmart is not that good. Nene may improve, but JR and Melo are what they are. I don't know if they have the defense to be an elite contender either. They are right there with Portland, but I would think LA, and SA both are better, with even Dallas in the argument with them

FlawlessKB24
08-18-2009, 02:25 PM
it's been said, they overachieved last season.

they're still behind Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, maybe Blazers

BluejaysFan08
08-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Carmelo is ready everyyear but the team around him is the problem.

mrmike101
08-18-2009, 02:49 PM
White trash , prison tatts and with exception of billups " no brains" do not win championships..

Uncalled for we all no kmart is a 5 star jack@ss but come on white trash? Birdman has overcome alot of adversity and he is a powerful example of human resistance. Outside of the basketball world this man will be able to do alot of good in any community because of his Powerful example to overcome adversity!! Regardless if he is getting high this minute, he has changed peoples lives for the better because of his commitment to overcome advirsty is out there for every one to see.

P.S. nuggets bench has gotten thinner with no starting 5 upgrades that is why they are not being taken seriously. Mean while ALL the contenders just basically got an "inheritance" of good players.

mrtrey1992
08-18-2009, 03:09 PM
ain't nobody sleeping on dis team Carmelo is in da top 5 best players in da NBA

BkOriginalOne
08-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Watch what Billups does to this team after training camp.

Mavrix
08-18-2009, 03:30 PM
I think its probably because they really havent made any moves to upgrade their team this year, while SA/Mavs/Blazers have.

x2

TheCooLKid2020
08-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Let them sleep on us....

Chronz
08-18-2009, 03:33 PM
I don't see Billups slipping, Kmart is not that good. Nene may improve, but JR and Melo are what they are. I don't know if they have the defense to be an elite contender either. They are right there with Portland, but I would think LA, and SA both are better, with even Dallas in the argument with them
Yea I envision Billups playing like this for the next few years, I dont know what your getting at with the K-Mart isnt any good. Hes still an important player for them, thus any slippage from not good to pretty bad would result in a lower level of play.

I dont know how you could say that JR and Melo are done developing. Players dont peak at 22.

king4day
08-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Nuggets lost two players and didn't improve their team. They are a year older. They'll get close to 60 wins, but in an offseason where it was necessary to do something to improve your team, Denver did not.

BkOriginalOne
08-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Denver will also make a deal for a backup for Melo.

Perl567
08-18-2009, 03:47 PM
To me, all the teams mentioned here that could have knocked the Nuggets out of the playoffs ALWAYS have injuries, and ALWAYS have players out for significant amounts of time. Houston didn't get any better, SA and Dallas did, but that doesn't factor in the injuries that are bound to happen to them and their old-*** lineups. Lawson and Affalo are tremendous upgrades, and should help buffer the consistently un-consistent Kleiza, who only provided a few bright spots in the past 3 years.

They WILL make a move before the season starts, and will get the filler that everyone makes such a huge deal about. Barring injuries, Nene will improve further, Carmelo, JR and Billups will all have excellent years, and Anderson will make his mark. K-Mart...well he's K-Mart. I think if we're going to make a move, it will be for that position, but it will probably be a big man move.

Not to mention that they have rebounding and defense in Balkman- he just didn't get to crack the lineup much because craptastic Kleiza and his flying airball took center stage in the second lineup.

I'm not saying that we don't need a QUALITY big man. It is what we're missing. Go ahead and count us out, but I would be more concerned with Portland, SA and the Lakers (who all improved significantly) over Dallas, Utah and Houston for sure.

The Nuggets FO doesn't make marquee moves in the offseason. They wait and see what everyone else does and then react. He didn't win GM of the year for nothing.

Trouble87
08-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Nuggets haven't got better and they haven't got worse... most of the elite teams in the West have gotten a hell of a lot better

Nuggs need to shake things up a bit

2_Trill
08-18-2009, 03:51 PM
nobody's sleepn on Denver... trust me.. dey sleepn on the Pistons 4sho doe..

what54!?
08-18-2009, 03:54 PM
I think they improved this off-season. Its not like they needed that much to improve on. If not for some mistakes in the 4th quarters they could have been in the finals. They improved at the two. (affalo who has an offensive game with defense unlike jones) plus got a young decent back-up pg to billups in lywson who will have a great mentor. Melo is realizing his potenial and just about to hit his prime and smith should improve. I still got them third in the west.

Mavrix
08-18-2009, 03:57 PM
To me, all the teams mentioned here that could have knocked the Nuggets out of the playoffs ALWAYS have injuries, and ALWAYS have players out for significant amounts of time. Houston didn't get any better, SA and Dallas did, but that doesn't factor in the injuries that are bound to happen to them and their old-*** lineups. Lawson and Affalo are tremendous upgrades, and should help buffer the consistently un-consistent Kleiza, who only provided a few bright spots in the past 3 years.

They WILL make a move before the season starts, and will get the filler that everyone makes such a huge deal about. Barring injuries, Nene will improve further, Carmelo, JR and Billups will all have excellent years, and Anderson will make his mark. K-Mart...well he's K-Mart. I think if we're going to make a move, it will be for that position, but it will probably be a big man move.

Not to mention that they have rebounding and defense in Balkman- he just didn't get to crack the lineup much because craptastic Kleiza and his flying airball took center stage in the second lineup.

I'm not saying that we don't need a QUALITY big man. It is what we're missing. Go ahead and count us out, but I would be more concerned with Portland, SA and the Lakers (who all improved significantly) over Dallas and Houston for sure.

The Nuggets FO doesn't make marquee moves in the offseason. They wait and see what everyone else does and then reacts. He didn't win GM of the year for nothing.In that case I'm pretty sure Billups is 33 at the start of the season. Kenyon Martin will be 32 in December and your bench players that log the most minutes in Anthony Carter and Chris Anderson are both over 30.

That being said you can't compare injury and age, that's just plain stupid.

Also everything you said about Denver's players improving can be said about every other team.

LA- Bynum will improve, Shannon Brown will improve, etc
San Antonio- Roger Mason, George Hill, and Manu Ginobili will be back from injury
Dallas- Marion will improve playing with Kidd, Josh Howard will be back from injury, Barea will improve
Portland- Roy, Aldridge, and Oden will all improve

Your logic is stupid.

yanks 4lif3
08-18-2009, 04:12 PM
PPG 27.2
RPG 5.80
APG 4.1

OR

Why is everyone sleeping on the Nuggets?

1. Los Angeles Lakers
2. San Antonio Spurs
3. Portland Trail Blazers
4. Dallas Mavericks
5. Utah Jazz

There I just gave you 5 reasons...

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Anthony put up the same numbers as Antawn Jamison did for the Wizards last season, only Jamison did it on a team missing the other four starters. Yet, Anthony was voted as being easily one of the Top Ten at his position and Jamison squeaked in.

Under-rated, my ***. He's a second-tier player who gets more respect than he deserves.

exactly!!

Melo plays along side Nene, Billups, and JR... all players who need the ball yet he puts up big numbers...

Jamison is on a team full of bums... i could problley averaged 21/10 on the wizards last year

BostonOrBust
08-18-2009, 05:06 PM
they didnt improve their team while the lakers and spurs got better

IBleedPurple
08-18-2009, 05:11 PM

Ok. Keep telling yourself that. Because everyone else is wrong right? :rolleyes:

The Nuggets are young for the most part, and will continue to improve. Where they rank in the West remains to be seen.

(And for the last time, Afflalo replaced Dahntay Jones. We upgraded in that move)

Jays Claw
08-18-2009, 05:16 PM
The Nuggets haven't made any significant moves this off season to help their team contend with the best of the West.

I also don't see Chauncey Billups slowing down anytime soon.

Mavrix
08-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Ok. Keep telling yourself that. Because everyone else is wrong right? :rolleyes:

The Nuggets are young for the most part, and will continue to improve. Where they rank in the West remains to be seen.

(And for the last time, Afflalo replaced Dahntay Jones. We upgraded in that move)I would take Jones over Afflalo any time, any day.

iggypop123
08-18-2009, 06:07 PM
they lost talent instead of upgrading. while everyone else upgraded. the fact that they surprised people is also there. many people see them as just another overachiever like the jazz and hornets a couple years ago.

Vinny642
08-18-2009, 06:09 PM
denver messed up by lettin Dahanty(however u spell his name) go. But I dont think it'll prevent them from contending. Carmelo is only getting better.

Mavrix
08-18-2009, 06:14 PM
denver messed up by lettin Dahanty(however u spell his name) go. But I dont think it'll prevent them from contending. Carmelo is only getting better.
Don't forget Kleiza

Vinny642
08-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Don't forget Kleiza

He didn't start and wasn't much of a game changer.

NYtilIdie
08-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Because no matter how good JR Smith does in the regular season he always disappears in the playoffs just like last year.

Plus they haven't upgraded at all. They lost Kleiza who had some big games in the playoffs. The only trade they made was Affalo for Jones which really isn't a significant upgrade if you want to call it a upgrade.

daleja424
08-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Its bc they dont have an upside. Most experts believe they were already overachieving last year. Just for them to play a well as they did last year would be amazing... and we know that wasnt enough for them to win a championship

b_rad23
08-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Because no matter how good JR Smith does in the regular season he always disappears in the playoffs just like last year.

Plus they haven't upgraded at all. They lost Kleiza who had some big games in the playoffs. The only trade they made was Affalo for Jones which really isn't a significant upgrade if you want to call it a upgrade.

Yes they did.

Lawson is an upgrade. Afflalo is an upgrade.

they lost talent instead of upgrading. while everyone else upgraded. the fact that they surprised people is also there. many people see them as just another overachiever like the jazz and hornets a couple years ago.

Read above. I think they've added to their team.

Its bc they dont have an upside. Most experts believe they were already overachieving last year. Just for them to play a well as they did last year would be amazing... and we know that wasnt enough for them to win a championship

Think about this: if Nene continues to improve, Melo improves, JR Smith becomes more consistent, Afflalo continues on his strides last year and Lawson is a great change of pace PG, they're much better.

I think this team is definitely getting slept on.

Mavrix
08-18-2009, 06:25 PM
He didn't start and wasn't much of a game changer.

He logged over 20 minutes a game and was a key rotation player

Vinny642
08-18-2009, 06:29 PM
He logged over 20 minutes a game and was a key rotation player

I never said he wasn't I said he wasn't a game changer and he didn't start.

Bruno
08-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Every top contender in the West has getten better by adding a new piece. Denver hasn't, they've lost players, and their floor leader isn't getting any younger. If the Nuggets surprise us, it will be because of J.R. Smith becoming a 20 point per game scorer (if Karl lets him).

Mavrix
08-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Every top contender in the West has getten better by adding a new piece. Denver hasn't, they've lost players, and their floor leader isn't getting any younger. If the Nuggets surprise us, it will be because of J.R. Smith becoming a 20 point per game scorer (if Karl lets him).

Agreed

Hawkeye15
08-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Yea I envision Billups playing like this for the next few years, I dont know what your getting at with the K-Mart isnt any good. Hes still an important player for them, thus any slippage from not good to pretty bad would result in a lower level of play.

I dont know how you could say that JR and Melo are done developing. Players dont peak at 22.

Billups will age well. He is big, and can shoot. Those don't disappear with age.
Martin just isn't anything more than 30 mpg player who will get you 11-5, with suspect defense, and a fake attitude.
Melo is the best pure scorer in the NBA imo. He has all the tools. But he better figure out how to defend if he wants to move to the next level, something George Karl does not bother preaching or teaching.
Jr Smith is a headband player. He doesn't get to the line, shoots too many 3's, and again, doesn't play defense. He will also be 24 before the season starts, just to get nitpicky. He also plays off emotion, which in his case, isn't helpful some nights. He is nothing more than a spark scorer who can score in bunches.

Perl567
08-18-2009, 06:58 PM
In that case I'm pretty sure Billups is 33 at the start of the season. Kenyon Martin will be 32 in December and your bench players that log the most minutes in Anthony Carter and Chris Anderson are both over 30.

That being said you can't compare injury and age, that's just plain stupid.

Also everything you said about Denver's players improving can be said about every other team.

LA- Bynum will improve, Shannon Brown will improve, etc
San Antonio- Roger Mason, George Hill, and Manu Ginobili will be back from injury
Dallas- Marion will improve playing with Kidd, Josh Howard will be back from injury, Barea will improve
Portland- Roy, Aldridge, and Oden will all improve

Your logic is stupid.

Ok- Carter won't log many minutes buddy, and Anderson was out of the league and is still fresh. That is..let me see... 6 players for the Nuggets around or over 30.

I GUARANTEE that Houston, San Antonio and Dallas will have significant injuries this year- they have not added durable players. Period. You can't tell me that injuries and age don't go hand in hand- it makes pretty good sense to me if you look at SA, Dallas and Houston.

PLUS you seem to forget that we have J.R. Smith, who was runner up for 6th man, and Affalo, both young players who will eat up some minutes of our 'aging' players too.

Bynum will improve, but Brown won't get minutes. The Lakers are the team to beat and will be for years and years.

Mason sucks, and just benefited from Manu being hurt and i'm sure he will be hurt again. With all the upgrades SA made, he will be riding the pine. The Spurs have 11 players at or over 30.

Marion and Kidd have a combined age of 64, and Kidd has NOT been impressive at all since he got to the Mavs- and it won't change this year. Barea is sick, and Howard will get hurt. Again. Like he does every year. The Mavs have 12 players at or over 30

Portland is scary, and a huge threat.

The Nuggets will make a move that will relieve Martin of his minutes. That's a promise. Billups is old, but one of the best producing PGs in the league. With Lawson potentially making great strides he will be able to take a break.

I know that this won't be good enough, 'cause ppl here just don't listen, but what I'm really saying is that the Nuggets are in the hunt, and will not fall off, barring injuries, which will be the biggest issue for all the teams mentioned.

Mavrix
08-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Ok- Carter won't log many minutes buddy, and Anderson was out of the league and is still fresh. That is..let me see... 6 players for the Nuggets around or over 30.

I GUARANTEE that Houston, San Antonio and Dallas will have significant injuries this year- they have not added durable players. Period. You can't tell me that injuries and age don't go hand in hand- it makes pretty good sense to me if you look at SA, Dallas and Houston.

PLUS you seem to forget that we have J.R. Smith, who was runner up for 6th man, and Affalo, both young players who will eat up some minutes of our 'aging' players too.

Bynum will improve, but Brown won't get minutes. The Lakers are the team to beat and will be for years and years.

Mason sucks, and just benefited from Manu being hurt and i'm sure he will be hurt again. With all the upgrades SA made, he will be riding the pine. The Spurs have 11 players at or over 30.

Marion and Kidd have a combined age of 64, and Kidd has NOT been impressive at all since he got to the Mavs- and it won't change this year. Barea is sick, and Howard will get hurt. Again. Like he does every year. The Mavs have 12 players at or over 30

Portland is scary, and a huge threat.

The Nuggets will make a move that will relieve Martin of his minutes. That's a promise. Billups is old, but one of the best producing PGs in the league. With Lawson potentially making great strides he will be able to take a break.

I know that this won't be good enough, 'cause ppl here just don't listen, but what I'm really saying is that the Nuggets are in the hunt, and will not fall off, barring injuries, which will be the biggest issue for all the teams mentioned.
Really because I'm pretty sure Carter logged over 20 minutes a game last season for Denver. And I like how you're predicting injuries. You're too funny.

Kyben36
08-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Im one of the few that arnt, I like them, after the billups trade, they made a real push, just like the Bulls. I expect them to be the team coming together out of the West, just like the Bulls are suposed to be the ones out of the East ( depending on your opinion )
Both mades big pushes in the playoffs after their respective trades.

Mavrix
08-18-2009, 07:16 PM
PS If you want to talk about age, Chauncey Billups and Kenyon Martin have a combined age of 65 by the start of the season

skratcher
08-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I get it, you're still pissed that the Nuggets dominated your Mavs last year.

mavwar53
08-18-2009, 08:20 PM
I just don't think they improved at all, and teams that you could say were better than them last year all got better.

Mavrix
08-18-2009, 08:26 PM
I get it, you're still pissed that the Nuggets dominated your Mavs last year.Yup you got me all figured out

Mavs add Shawn Marion, Drew Gooden, Quinton Ross, and Tim Thomas

Denver loses Dahntay Jones and Kleiza and adds Arron who?

skratcher
08-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Yeah, and last year the Clippers added Camby, Davis and Randolph. Look where it got them.

blastmasta26
08-18-2009, 10:27 PM
All the championship contenders made improvements...except for Denver. Their only addition was Arron Afflalo, but he basically replaced Dahntay Jones. Also, Nuggets needed better play from the bench and lost Linas Kleiza, who was a solid player for them.

cmellofan15
08-19-2009, 04:20 AM

If you wanna compare stats we can do this all day.

Zach Randolph - 20/10

Tim Duncan - 19/10

or how about...

Ben Gordon - 20/3/3

Manu Ginobili - 15/4/3

maybe even...

Nate Robinson - 17/3/4

Ray Allen - 18/3/2

There's your good ol' stats for ya, the players names are in white right on the left of them. Now tell me which is the better player out of all of those

Next time bring a better argument than your opinion and stats.

The_Mac22
08-19-2009, 05:19 AM
:o

adamsison
08-19-2009, 08:14 AM
let them sleep on us..... and hopefully the same outcome will happen and hopefully take on step further.

look at what people were saying, and how they got it wrong;
-everyone thought that detroit got the better deal when we got billups.
-everyone thought that new orleans would beat us (chris paul would outplay the aging billups)
-we killed the mavs
-everyone thought that denver wouldnt play defense

no one thought that we would make the playoff run we did...and we destroyed dallas and new orleans.

the only team that i saw make a big improvement is san antonio. added depth and experience ( they are getting old though).

-dallas did improve but i dont know how marion, dirk, howard and terry will all share the ball... we will see though.

-utah didnt make any moves either. and we are better than them

the lakers are the team to beat (we nearly had them), but im not sure if artest will fit into the triangle offense. he needs the ball to be effective and does not share the ball well (ariza fit in well because he was a spot up shooter and slasher)..

i put us right there in the top 3....having a whole season to play with each other... and i have no problem that we didnt make any big moves. (we have our core together and they have great chemistry). as long as we play as intense on defense we will be fine..... we could use a shooting sf though.

but yeah, let everyone sleep on us.... cause we know who we are. and again the league will follow.

kobe words to melo last season " take care of buisness and i'll see you in the conference finals"

kobe knew....

#1Mavericksfan
08-19-2009, 08:19 AM
The Nuggets are gonna come back down to earth just like Golden State and the Hornets did, what offseason's have they made?....the only move they made was bringing the "Birdboy" back and that's it.

BkOriginalOne
08-19-2009, 08:34 AM
People are worried that they didn't improve.

Honestly, The nuggets handled the Mavs in 5 games, with the addition of Marion, you think the Mavs would win the series? Crazy.

jimbobjarree
08-19-2009, 08:38 AM
^maybe they're stronger than the Mavs, but that series would have been 2-2 if not for the refs in game 3, so they're closer than a 5 game series. Add in all the Mavs acquisition and take away what Denver have lost and the gap should be non existant.

#1Mavericksfan
08-19-2009, 09:09 AM
People are worried that they didn't improve.

Honestly, The nuggets handled the Mavs in 5 games, with the addition of Marion, you think the Mavs would win the series? Crazy.

You need to remember that Josh Howard was playing on 2 bad ankles in that series so I find it very easy for Melo to blow pass him and Damp was hurt also, the Mavs got Marion just for Melo, they got Gooden for Nene and Quinton Ross who a "LOCK DOWN" defender just for for J.R. Smith leaving Josh Howard to go one on one with Billups, if anything the Mavs match up better with the Nuggets now no matter how to try to spin it...open you eyes and look at the entire Mavs roster and to think the Mavs are not even done making moves yet.

IBleedPurple
08-19-2009, 11:58 AM
and to think the Mavs are not even done making moves yet.

And why does everyone assume the Nuggets are done making moves? Our FO has said we're not done, we typically make our moves later in the offseason, and we have a very big trade exception (8 or 9 Million) to use before November.

Jays Claw
08-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Why does everyone assume that Chauncey Billups will be slipping off this upcoming season?

Hawkeye15
08-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Why does everyone assume that Chauncey Billups will be slipping off this upcoming season?

I don't know. He is tall, strong, and can shoot, all things that don't disppear with age. He still has a good 3-5 years left of playing like this