PDA

View Full Version : The arguments people give when predicting if LeBron James will remain in Cleveland or

carterman
08-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Quto from ******The arguments people give when predicting if LeBron James will remain in Cleveland or eventually end up elsewhere are rarely backed with substantive reasoning. Here are ten reasons why the Knicks like their chances of signing LeBron next summer.

10. Cash. Over the same five years, LeBron would earn $4.14 million less signing with the Knicks than re-signing with the Cavs as a free-agent. The Cavs can offer an extra year, but there is little reason to think the security of a 6th season will be decisive. If LeBron put much value on security, he would have sought a longer-term contract in 2006 rather than the 3-year extension he did sign. If security is what he is after, LeBron would have already signed an extension this off-season. Given the relatively small difference between the Cavs’ and Knicks’ 5-year max offers – and given the mountain of endorsement dollars that could come LeBron’s way if he lands in New York – LeBron could have a significant financial incentive to sign with the Knicks.

9. Talent. The Knicks’ roster, though young and unproven, has the 20-PPG potential of Danilo Gallinari, a two-way wing with upside like Wilson Chandler, and a scoring big in rookie Jordan Hill. All three have higher ceilings than any non-Lebron Cavs. A roster deep with quality role players but not elite talent (the most apt way to describe the Cavs minus LeBron) is only enough to give a great player what he needs to have a successful regular season. Winning in the playoffs requires finding another impact player who can help carry the load. The Knicks have the type of young players who can develop into major pieces next to a superstar and their salary cap is set up to allow the team to bid for other top free-agents in the near term.

8. Attracting free-agents. LeBron may realize that getting future free-agents to follow him onto the big stage in New York would be easier than getting them to join him in Cleveland.

7. 2011. Much is made of the fact that Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries remain on the Knick books. Yet both contracts expire just one year later, freeing up $18 million of cap room that puts the Knicks in position to offer another max contract in 2011 when New York-born Carmelo Anthony is set to hit the free-agent market.

6. Mobley. Cuttino Mobley’s contract, 80% of which is covered by insurance, gives the Knicks a valuable trade chip the team can use to remove more salary from the 2010 ledger. Consider that the payout of $7.6 million of insurance for Mobley’s contract would more than offset Jeffries’ $6.9 million salary in 2010, and the Knicks could throw in an additional $3 million in the trade. The Knicks can make taking Jeffries' contract off their hands very affordable for another club.
http://www.******.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/James_LeBron_cle_081219a.jpg

5. Buyouts. If the Knicks are a few million dollars short of the cap room needed to offer a second max contract in 2010, look for Donnie Walsh to engineer a buyout of the 2010-2011 season on the contracts of Curry and/or Jeffries. Because this is the final year of these contracts, the Knicks would receive dollar-for-dollar cap relief on any buyout. For instance, offering 80% of the salary due on the last season of these two contracts would buy the Knicks more than $3.5 million of additional cap room.

4. The salary cap. Since the NBA league office announced its projections that the salary cap will decline next season, several positive economic indicators were released showing that the recession may already have ended. If true, the NBA’s salary cap might not drop nearly as much as projected if it even drops at all. But because Danny Ferry signed Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon and Leon Powe to 2-year contracts, the Cavs will not have room for a second max free-agent next summer even if the cap goes up. It might therefore be a checkmate move if Walsh ekes out enough cap room to be able to offer two max contracts in 2010. LeBron’s decision might be between staying in Cleveland with the Cavs’ roster as is or jumping to New York with Dwyane Wade or Chris Bosh.

3. The luxury tax. In New York, LeBron could be assured of joining an organization that would spare no expense in pursuit of multiple championships. Cavs’ ownership has never pulled back on spending but that could change. Dan Gilbert’s deal to bring in Chinese investment, spun as a bold marketing initiative, may have had more to do with cash reserves drying up. Once they’re out of cap room, the Knicks would never hesitate to use their mid-level exception, take on more and more salary each year and pay exorbitant luxury tax bills, to keep renewing LeBron's supporting cast. The coffers at MSG are effectively bottomless.

2. The Yankees. The Yankees have emerged as the best team in baseball and are poised for another championship run. At some point, CC Sabathia may confide to his good pal, one of the Yankees' most famous fans, ‘There’s nothing like winning in New York.’

1. The heart. Big life decisions like the one LeBron will have in less than a year are usually made more on emotion than cold reason. Is home where LeBron’s heart is or does he yearn for the spotlight of Broadway? We don’t know the answer to that yet. But last week, just before letting us know that he plans to become a free-agent after the coming season, LeBron said he is “not ashamed of anything in Cleveland.” Not exactly a ringing endorsement, especially in contrast to the reverential words LeBron used to describe how he feels stepping on the floor at Madison Square Garden. The worry for Cavs fans is that LeBron’s tone seems to be creeping closer to the 'It’s not you, it’s me' line of reasoning, an explanation vaguely reminiscent of 'The heart wants what the heart wants.'

dwadefan03
08-18-2009, 09:32 AM
ill give you ten reasons why he'll come to MIA, but i do agree that the reasons he stays in cleveland is unapparent to me.

10.Cash. next to the cavs no one can offer more than miami.we have the most cap space in the league in 2010 and im sure hed take a little less to be in miami

9. Location. as you may all know miami is a very attractive place for freeagents to go. its a gorgeous city,favorable weather, and has beautiful beaches n im not talking about the sand :D

8.tax. in miami there is no state tax so more of lbj salry goes to him. plain and simple more money equals happy lebron

7.Young Talent. anything new york has we have as well and imo better. we have young pieces that could eventually be part of the puzzle with mario chalmers at point, michael beasley at foward and daequan cook off the bench.

6.Endorsements. Maybe miami isnt as big a market as new york but im sure its up there with the best. i mean how much money in endorsements do ou think him and wade could make together. if you ask me thats the most marketable thing in the nba since jordan.

5.Roster. Miami only has a few people signed past the 2010 season. two of which, possibly 3 are rookie contracts. besides that were completly revamping the roster. basically lebron can pick who we add to the team.

4. Wade. Miami has something that no one else can offer in 2010 to lebron. the opportunity to play with another superstar.Wade and Lebron could hands down go down as one of the best duos in nba history. yes i said it history. theyd be the new jordan and pippen. hell they both be jordans. who knows. but if i were lebron idefinatley would want that opportunity.

3. Legacy. All the time you hear people knocking lebron because he hasnt won a championship, or because he had a dissapointing playoff loss. however if he came to miami, there would be no question that not only could he achieve one championship but MULTIPLE championship. i think that sounds alot better than cleveland,new jersey, new york, or even cleveland

2 Friendship. He and Wade already developed a chemistry with each other in the olympic games. they are both friends on and off the court, theyve played with each other, they praise each others games regualarly, and theyve even mentioned the possibility of them joining together someday and embracing that possibility.

1 Winning. period. if lebron comes to miami theres just more guarenteed to him then in newyoprk, clevland, or new jersey.championships, favorable roster, superstar buddy, he has a plethora of options. miami has so much cap next year that they can afford to re-sign wade, sign lebron, AND still have enough money for a secontier free agent such as a brendan haywood or resigning jermaine oneal. with all of this considered its really a no brainer.

DCB/LAL
08-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Uh.......no more of these stupid threads wait till next year or make them in your teams Forum obviously your a knicks fan with hopes that Lebron will leave Cavs for the Knicks stop that talk has kinda died down recently and one Miami fan who smoking some good ****....Light it dont hide it right??

NYKnickFanatic
08-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Uh.......no more of these stupid threads wait till next year or make them in your teams Forum obviously your a knicks fan with hopes that Lebron will leave Cavs for the Knicks stop that talk has kinda died down recently and one Miami fan who smoking some good ****....Light it dont hide it right??

I agree.

:yawn:

king4day
08-18-2009, 10:08 AM
ill give you ten reasons why he'll come to MIA, but i do agree that the reasons he stays in cleveland is unapparent to me.

10.Cash. next to the cavs no one can offer more than miami.we have the most cap space in the league in 2010 and im sure hed take a little less to be in miami

9. Location. as you may all know miami is a very attractive place for freeagents to go. its a gorgeous city,favorable weather, and has beautiful beaches n im not talking about the sand :D

8.tax. in miami there is no state tax so more of lbj salry goes to him. plain and simple more money equals happy lebron

7.Young Talent. anything new york has we have as well and imo better. we have young pieces that could eventually be part of the puzzle with mario chalmers at point, michael beasley at foward and daequan cook off the bench.

6.Endorsements. Maybe miami isnt as big a market as new york but im sure its up there with the best. i mean how much money in endorsements do ou think him and wade could make together. if you ask me thats the most marketable thing in the nba since jordan.

5.Roster. Miami only has a few people signed past the 2010 season. two of which, possibly 3 are rookie contracts. besides that were completly revamping the roster. basically lebron can pick who we add to the team.

4. Wade. Miami has something that no one else can offer in 2010 to lebron. the opportunity to play with another superstar.Wade and Lebron could hands down go down as one of the best duos in nba history. yes i said it history. theyd be the new jordan and pippen. hell they both be jordans. who knows. but if i were lebron idefinatley would want that opportunity.

3. Legacy. All the time you hear people knocking lebron because he hasnt won a championship, or because he had a dissapointing playoff loss. however if he came to miami, there would be no question that not only could he achieve one championship but MULTIPLE championship. i think that sounds alot better than cleveland,new jersey, new york, or even cleveland

2 Friendship. He and Wade already developed a chemistry with each other in the olympic games. they are both friends on and off the court, theyve played with each other, they praise each others games regualarly, and theyve even mentioned the possibility of them joining together someday and embracing that possibility.

1 Winning. period. if lebron comes to miami theres just more guarenteed to him then in newyoprk, clevland, or new jersey.championships, favorable roster, superstar buddy, he has a plethora of options. miami has so much cap next year that they can afford to re-sign wade, sign lebron, AND still have enough money for a secontier free agent such as a brendan haywood or resigning jermaine oneal. with all of this considered its really a no brainer.

Too much scoring to go around. Then you also have no money for anyone else.

Mile High Champ
08-18-2009, 10:20 AM
10.Cash. next to the cavs no one can offer more than miami.we have the most cap space in the league in 2010 and im sure hed take a little less to be in miami.

Nope, New York and New Jersey will have the most cap room next year to spend on FA's. The Cavs would be able to offer him the most money so cash really will meaning nothing to Lebron, he will get paid anywhere he goes.

You have no idea what Lebron likes, he seems to enjoy it in New York when ever he is there and also in Cleveland. Miami can be a fun place to live for a while but I think it is one of more dirty cities in Florida to live in.

The Tax really is not as big a draw as you would think, the league has incentives in place to ensure competitive spending with all teams.

Yeah there is some young pieces but why go there when Wade himself has been dissapointed with the heat's management attempt to make this team better this off-season. Plus if I were Lebron, playing with established talented would be a bigger draw then two young unproven pieces.

Endorsements. Maybe miami isnt as big a market as new york but im sure its up there with the best. i mean how much money in endorsements do ou think him and wade could make together. if you ask me thats the most marketable thing in the nba since jordan.

No city other then maybe LA and Chicago could offer Lebron more then New York in terms of endorsements. Thats even beside the point, wherever he is, he is going to get the same amount of cash and sponsers. Miami's endoresement opportunities are not even a factor in this.

So many teams have only 5 or 6 guys signed going into next years off-season, its hardly a reason to suggest miami is the best place for him.

Lebron is better served to play with a great big then another guard. Partner Lebron with an allstar or franchise PF/C and you have the makings of a champion. Why would Lebron want to share the ball on the wings when he can just go somewhere else and be the established number 1 option.

Miami and Legacy? I am not even going to pursue that...

Lebron has developed a relationship with almost any player on that olympic team, Wade is not the only one..Let me guess you will come back say he his best friend right?

1 Winning. period. if lebron comes to miami theres just more guarenteed to him then in newyoprk, clevland, or new jersey.championships, favorable roster, superstar buddy, he has a plethora of options. miami has so much cap next year that they can afford to re-sign wade, sign lebron, AND still have enough money for a secontier free agent such as a brendan haywood or resigning jermaine oneal. with all of this considered its really a no brainer

Another reason without any value, its just a combination of your other reasons why Lebron will come to the heat...

bigsams50
08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
I would love to see lebron play with blacke griffin and the clips

blastmasta26
08-18-2009, 10:43 AM
I would love to see lebron play with blacke griffin and the clips
Actually not that unlikely. Clips are getting much better and have the capspace to get LeBron, plus they can offer a big market. Imagine that, LBJ and Kobe in the same city.

Pierzynski4Prez
08-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Nope, New York and New Jersey will have the most cap room next year to spend on FA's. The Cavs would be able to offer him the most money so cash really will meaning nothing to Lebron, he will get paid anywhere he goes.

You have no idea what Lebron likes, he seems to enjoy it in New York when ever he is there and also in Cleveland. Miami can be a fun place to live for a while but I think it is one of more dirty cities in Florida to live in.

The Tax really is not as big a draw as you would think, the league has incentives in place to ensure competitive spending with all teams.

Yeah there is some young pieces but why go there when Wade himself has been dissapointed with the heat's management attempt to make this team better this off-season. Plus if I were Lebron, playing with established talented would be a bigger draw then two young unproven pieces.

No city other then maybe LA and Chicago could offer Lebron more then New York in terms of endorsements. Thats even beside the point, wherever he is, he is going to get the same amount of cash and sponsers. Miami's endoresement opportunities are not even a factor in this.

So many teams have only 5 or 6 guys signed going into next years off-season, its hardly a reason to suggest miami is the best place for him.

Lebron is better served to play with a great big then another guard. Partner Lebron with an allstar or franchise PF/C and you have the makings of a champion. Why would Lebron want to share the ball on the wings when he can just go somewhere else and be the established number 1 option.

Lebron has developed a relationship with almost any player on that olympic team, Wade is not the only one..Let me guess you will come back say he his best friend right?

Another reason without any value, its just a combination of your other reasons why Lebron will come to the heat...

Man, a lot of the stuff you said is can be seen as hypocritical

You have no idea of whether Lebron would like to live in NY. Right now you have to compete with his home town, in no way does NY have any advantage over Miami or Chicago, NJ, etc. Just because he wears a Yankees hat doesn't mean he is going to up and move to NYC.

Tax is tax, fact of the matter is he saves money, at at that high of a salary, I'm sure it adds up.

You are talking down Miami's rooks, and acting like the ones you have already are proven players. Guess what, none of them have done anything in the league to this point. Potential is nothing but potential, and every team in the league has a couple guys with the same potential as NY.

Lebron can get any endorsement, in any state, in any country, at any time he wants.

These threads are so lame. Nobody knows what he is going to do, not even himself. Him not wanting to sign a contract extension now means nothing. It would have totally taken out the purpose of his current contract size.

JerseysFinest
08-18-2009, 11:02 AM
yeah i doesnt make sense that people automatically assume that he is going to new york, when there are better options in playes like jersey, la, and miami. I personally think that he should go to the nets, no offense to la or miami, but la has a rising star in thornton, and miami would have issues with scoring where wade is the main option. LebRON would fit rite in because we dnt have a dominant force at the sf, and we already have the 1, 2, 5, and possibly the 4, locked up

dwadefan03
08-18-2009, 11:21 AM

actually you need to check your facts cuz new york and new jersey do not have the most cap space. thats popular beleif. new york still has jared jeffries and eddy currys ugly contracts and new jersey has devin harris courtney lee etc wherre as miami has mario chalmers and michael beasley both of which are inexpensive rookie contracts.

the guy above me is right. shout out to him. ur a complete hypocrite. i nvr said it was granted thta hed absolutly love it mia, but its also not granted that hell love it in nyc either. i was just analyzing the possibility

again shout out to the dude above me. tax is tax. and if you dont have to pay ur saving money. period. more money equals happy people.

ur entire response is a complete specualtion. no where in the interview did wade even hint that he was DISSAPOINTED with the heat managment group. he even went as far as to say that his plan was to stay in miami as long as he was a contender. thats understandable. no one wants to lose. and we are almost guarenteed to be contenders in 2010 so thats definatly not a problem. and the heat management must be doing a pretty good job because if were in place to be able to get wade,lebron, and another player theres really no argument on my part.

yes they are. endorsement opportunities are always a factor for every superstar. more endorsements equal more money. more money equals happier people.

like who. and are those five or six people as good as the five or six we have.

how can you even say this. youve nvr seen lebron play with a great big man.
and wade and lebron couldnt win a championship? jordan and scottie worked out pretty well dont you think. how come wade and lebron cant be that way.

nobody thought chicago could become a legacy. hell nobody even thought about cleveland before lebron stamped his face on the franchise. legacy is created by the things the club accomplishes not by the citys name or current state.

so what if he devloped a relationship with them. not all of them are free agents. chris bosh is the only other one and if you had to chose btw wade and bosh i think itd be a no brainer. friendship is also a factor worth mentioning i mean if theyre mortal enemies im sure you wouldnt want to pair them together.

ok and te reasons i provided were actually realistic. its not like im living in fantasy land. lebron to miami is actually a very legit possiblity despite popular belief

DCB/LAL
08-18-2009, 11:26 AM
ok and te reasons i provided were actually realistic. its not like im living in fantasy land. lebron to miami is actually a very legit possiblity despite popular belief

How much cap space will Miami have?? Enough to sign two max Superstars??

DCSportsIsPain
08-18-2009, 11:28 AM
These threads get more ******** every time.

LeBron James to Cleveland is still the most likely outcome by a country mile.
Did everyone forget the man just had a ****ing castle built in Cleveland?
And that he is from Ohio?
And that they can pay him more money for a longer term than anyone else?
And that LeBron already has the biggest endorsement deals?

These pipedream threads are ridiculous, especially when there are dozens of them, all with the same flawed logic.

dwadefan03
08-18-2009, 12:22 PM
^then get the hell outta here. no ones forcing you to be here

dwadefan03
08-18-2009, 12:22 PM
How much cap space will Miami have?? Enough to sign two max Superstars??

yes sir. the reason we can sign wade is because we have his bird rights and can sign him over the cap.

DCB/LAL
08-18-2009, 12:29 PM
yes sir. the reason we can sign wade is because we have his bird rights and can sign him over the cap.

If you sign Wade first then you wont have cap space to sign another Superstar...And if you dont sign Wade first i think you lose his "Bird Rights" I think. :shrug:

DetroitRipCity
08-18-2009, 12:29 PM
^then get the hell outta here. no ones forcing you to be here

No but i am forced to see the title as i try to find relevant threads

macc
08-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Ya these threads get old really fast. With that being said noone knows where he'll go when he's a free agent. I keep hearing New York but if he left I would say he would be better off with New Jersey. They have the money to sign and him and more importantly the young talent that could grow "with" him and be a solid core for years to come. With players like Courtney Lee, Devin Harris, Brook Lopez and Yi Jinlian who are all young like Lebron he would know hes going to a team with the talent that's still hasn't reached their prime.

I'm not a New Jersey fan but I think their GM has done a great job to retool them and set them up to be future contenders for years to come. They just need that all star to put them into a contending catagory, maybe Lebron could be that guy.

King P
08-18-2009, 04:26 PM
I hope he comes to the Nets. Combine LBJ with Devin Harris, CDR, Brook Lopez, Courtney Lee, & Terrence Williams and you have a championship contendeing team.

theuuord
08-18-2009, 04:29 PM
If you sign Wade first then you wont have cap space to sign another Superstar...And if you dont sign Wade first i think you lose his "Bird Rights" I think. :shrug:

No. Bird rights get retained until the player signs with another team.

DCB/LAL
08-18-2009, 04:38 PM
No. Bird rights get retained until the player signs with another team.

So for ex. Lets say the Heat have $30 Million in Cap and they sign Lebron James first for $25 million per year that'll leave them with $5 million would they still have Wades Bird Rights and be able to sign him to a MAX contract??? Even after they sign another superstar before theirs??

theuuord
08-18-2009, 04:40 PM
So for ex. Lets say the Heat have $30 Million in Cap and they sign Lebron James first for $25 million per year that'll leave them with $5 million would they still have Wades Bird Rights and be able to sign him to a MAX contract??? Even after they sign another superstar before theirs??

Yup.

(that being said, 25 million is more than a max contract, so that specific situation is impossible. but for all intents and purposes, yes.)

DCB/LAL
08-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Yup.

(that being said, 25 million is more than a max contract, so that specific situation is impossible. but for all intents and purposes, yes.)

Im just throwing an example out there wasn't exactly specific with the Numbers.