PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Closer?

statquo
08-18-2009, 05:50 AM
I was wondering, is Downs going to be our closer next year? I really liked him as a set up guy. Any ideas?

heusy_79
08-18-2009, 09:00 AM
I prefer Downs in the eighth inning, but right now he's the best man for the job IMO.

JetLi
08-18-2009, 09:06 AM
The big IF is League. It's really going to be about if League can harness his control long enough to be a closer. He's been forecasted for a years to be the future closer of this club. The other options include the renewed Frasor and Roenicke can start making his pitches. It's not a bad scenario, but it will be tough to decide, if any of them can be good enough for a full season or any combination of them. Of course there is also Accardo, but I think JP doesn't like him or Cito or both, so if both of them are here next year, he might not be up here for very long.

Big Hurt
08-18-2009, 09:17 AM
I really do not think League's results have matched up to his talent yet, so not him.
Between League, Roenicke, Casey J, Carlson, Accardo and Downs the Jays should have a nice tight pen to pitch the 6,7,8th, leaving closing duties to..............Jason Frasor, he deserves 1st crack at the job IMO.
Add Tallet to long relief.......Nice looking pen!!!

Habs n Jays Fan
08-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Whatever happens I'll be happy as long as the Jays do not use a closer by committee as those rarely ever work(if at all).

jaysfan55
08-18-2009, 01:28 PM
I think they should use Frasor as the closer. Remember in 2004 he came in as a rookie and saved 17 games. Downs as the 8th inning guy and Frasor as the closer. Roenicke, Tallet, Janssen,Leauge,Camp as the fill ins. Carlson is out....

geoff63
08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
With long man being Tallet and Camp
League, Carlson, Roenicke, Downs, Frasor, Accardo, Janssen will fight it our for 5 spots
An free agent who intrigues me is Trevor Hoffman one of the best closers of all time.

my bullpen owuld be Tallet, Camp, Jannsen, Accardo, Downs, Frasor, Hoffman

Big Hurt
08-18-2009, 01:42 PM
League, Carlson, Roenicke, Downs, Frasor, Accardo, Janssen will fight it our for 5 spots
An free agent who intrigues me is Trevor Hoffman one of the best closers of all time.

No League, Roenicke, or Janssen???

geoff63
08-18-2009, 01:49 PM
If you want to go with what we have now id go with, tallet, Camp, Jannsen, Accardo, Downs, Frasor, League. I would leave out Carlson, Roenicke

jayfantilldeath
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
I am hoping they sign a big name free agent closer to a monstrous contract in the off season.

geoff63
08-18-2009, 02:17 PM
^^ Does 5 year 47M sound good

jayfantilldeath
08-18-2009, 02:29 PM
^^Sounds like a good number, what could go wrong ?

Twitchy
08-18-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd be perfectly happy trading Downs & Frasor so we could rebuild...

But if we had to keep them both I'd rather have Downs set up and Frasor close. Because Downs is the better reliever, and I'd rather have him pitch high leverage situations. Not to mention that Carlson's regression has left us without a quality lefty in the bullpen, and having Downs as the closer eliminates any chance of having him come in against the tough lefty batters late in the game

statquo
08-18-2009, 05:45 PM
^^ Tallet can replace Carlson. Even though I'd like Tallet as a long reliever.

Twitchy
08-18-2009, 06:09 PM
^^ Tallet can replace Carlson. Even though I'd like Tallet as a long reliever.

Unfortunately, Tallet can't be a LOOGY. He has reverse platoon splits, so he's better vs RH batters than lefties. Which is why he isn't half bad as a starter.

But I agree, he's better suited to be the swingman in the pen.

herMiz06
08-18-2009, 06:37 PM

The Jays have plenty of pitching depth which can be slotted in the bullpen. Pursuing any remotely exspensive free agent would make no sense.

H-MYK
08-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Either Downs or Frasor, I'd be happy.

StealingSigns
08-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Jim Acker.

Rogi10
08-18-2009, 10:56 PM
League will get his control under control (pun!) and be the best closer in baseball!!

BANK IT: ( I can dream!)