PDA

View Full Version : Have the Clippers had the best offseason in the NBA this year?

DenButsu
08-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Obviously, the Clippers didn't have the best offseason in terms of putting themselves in a position to win a championship or anything like that. But if you look at the situation in terms of which team made the most progress in terms of shedding financial baggage, picking up a solid set of young/cheap talent, and positioning themselves not only to improve next season but also to be in much better shape in terms of payroll and flexibility for years down the line (provided they avoid making some of the same mistakes they've made previously), I think there's a case to be made that they may be one of the teams to have covered the most ground from point A to point B - albeit it probably doesn't look like it on the surface, since in their case point A was a 19 win season, point A-and-a-half will be a likely better season (but still one as a lottery team in the end), and we won't really find out where point B is until the 2010-11 season.

Anyways, here's the TrueHoop writeup (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-43-52/Operation-Facelift.html) that got me thinking about it:

Operation Facelift

August 17, 2009 9:11 PM

Posted by Kevin Arnovitz

The Los Angeles Clippers introduced Rasual Butler this afternoon to the local media at their training facility in Playa Vista. For those keeping a tally of what's become of Zach Randolph, Clippers general manager and head coach Mike Dunleavy has now spun him off for the following:

* Rasual Butler (1 year, $3.95M)
* Craig Smith (1 year, $2.5M)
* Sebastian Telfair (2 years, $5.2M, the second year a $2.7M player option)
* Mark Madsen (1 year, $2.84M)
* A remaining trade exception for $3.36M
* $14.63M in salary savings for 2010-11, assuming Telfair picks up his option
* A spot in the starting lineup at the power forward for Blake Griffin

There are no marquee names on that list, and nobody who can match Randolph's raw numbers, but judging from Dunleavy's mood on Monday afternoon, he's over the moon that he's been able to parlay arguably his worst blunder as general manager -- the acquisition of Randolph -- into a collection of cheap, complementary assets and tremendous financial flexibility.

The Clippers are almost certain to improve upon their 19 wins of last season. To what extent they'll be in factor in the Western Conference playoff race is anyone's guess. But if Dunleavy the GM has accomplished nothing else, he's starting to cobble together a roster that looks a lot more workable to Dunleavy the coach.

Dunleavy likes to post his guards, and has been imploring the small -- but brawny -- Eric Gordon to develop a post game, something he showed off in Las Vegas. With Butler, Dunleavy gets a lanky swingmen whom he can use in that capacity.

"If you're a 2-guard and you're 6-7, we can throw you down in the post some," Dunleavy said.

Less discussed, but more relevant is whether Dunleavy will act on his impulse as a tactician: Start Butler ahead of Al Thornton.

"We'll figure out what makes the best sense for us," Dunleavy said. "Coming into training camp, it'll be pretty wide open."

Dunleavy has coveted a Bowen-model small forward ever since arriving in Los Angeles. He took on defensive stopper Quinton Ross as a project, but Ross was never able to develop a perimeter shot that could stretch defenses. Instead, Dunleavy has had to cope with Corey Maggette and now Thornton. Both are capable creators for themselves, but ball-stoppers, defensive liabilities -- and endless sources of frustration for Dunleavy. Butler is no Bruce Bowen, but he's the corner sniper (45% from there), and long perimeter defender Dunleavy's been after.

Few teams will come into the season with more elastic expectations than the Clippers. So much is uncertain: Blake Griffin's ceiling in his rookie season; Baron Davis' health and resolve; Chris Kaman's ability to bounce back from injury; Eric Gordon's progress.

Toward the end of his media session, Dunleavy spoke about the physical regimen he requires of his players -- their body fat targets and conditioning programs. He also described a torturous, 60-second, three-man weave drill he had to perform himself as a rookie more than 30 years ago.

"If you can do that," Dunleavy said, "then you're in shape."

Dunleavy paused, then added wistfully, "Last year, I don't think we ever got to it. Period."

WITZ
08-17-2009, 11:48 PM
If they can get Sessions then maybe but the Cavs, Magic, & raptors have also had good off-seasons.

DenButsu
08-17-2009, 11:56 PM
If they can get Sessions then maybe but the Cavs, Magic, & raptors have also had good off-seasons.

Yeah, of course it would be impossible to say the Clips have had a good offseason in a similar sense to how Cleveland and Orlando have (the Raptors would be a better comparison), but I'm just trying to think of things as being plotted on a line graph. Obviously, the Cavs and Magic made moves that look right now to move them from "great" to "really great" teams, while the Clippers have done something more like from "terrible" to "potentially very good". But the distance moved along the line might be comparable, I'm thinking (although evidence of it will more slowly become apparent in the Clippers' case).

Kakaroach
08-18-2009, 12:01 AM
They've had an excellent one for sure. Trade Zach-What.a.loser-Randolph for Q-Rich and then trade him for a bunch of expirings. I say the, the Cavs, the Magic, and the Raptors have had the best off-season of all teams. What really surprised me was getting Butler for nothing. The guy was a starter on a playoff team last year and I'm surprised they gave him up for next to nothing.

WITZ
08-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Ya definitely they have made moves that should really help now & set them up for later financially.Butler & Telfair set to contribute in a positive way added in with a healthy kaman and Baron should really help along with of course Blake Griffin.Gettin rid of Zach's contract was helpful financially & smart basketball wise even though 20-10 hard to replace, But I see what u are gettin at.

gattaca
08-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Toronto takes the best offseason moves award.

Draco
08-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Last season they flipped expirings for Randolph and then Randolph for different expirings and a two year contract. And that makes sense since they were particularly lucky with Griffin and also drafted with Gordon. They're also likely to be in the lotto for a strong 2010 draft. With the prospect of having a nice core of young players by 2011, Randolph no longer fit. Not sure if it's the best off season move but it's one that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense to me is why the Clips wanted Randolph to begin with or why Memphis wants him. Especially considering that Memphis was trying to shave salary with the Pau trade.

DubbyDubbs
08-18-2009, 12:36 AM
I believe the Toronto Raptors as well have had the best off season of any team. not only have they added some great players and improved the bench a lot.. but also Brian Colangelo has position the team so well for next year with so many expiring contracts for the big 2010 free agents.
I really like what Orlando has done (i really dont like that they had to give up Courtney Lee though).
As far as the Clippers go, I wouldnt say one move they made is not a good one. Zach Randolph was an average player put out to be the star of this team. The only peice of this team that i would like Dunleavy to deal with is Baron Davis. Baron was absolutely great on Golden State and made them one of the most exciting teams when he was with them.... however, many times last year, he was settling on offense, and really laboring or being lazy on Defense. Over all good off season though

b_rad23
08-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Teams that had good offseasons:
Clips
Raps
Magic
Mavericks
Wizards
Hawks
Cavs

pretty much in that order

Raps18-19 Champ
08-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Why isn't anyone saying the Spurs?

They got Jefferson, Mcdyess, Blair, Ratliff and all it cost them was nothing.

b_rad23
08-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Forgot about them. Good call

Chronz
08-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Amongst the cellar dwelling teams the Clippers made the most out of a bad situation, then again they had the most tools to work with. Blake Griffin is going to change the culture of our team, I have a feeling about this guy.

secterm
08-18-2009, 03:18 AM
I believe the Toronto Raptors as well have had the best off season of any team. not only have they added some great players and improved the bench a lot.. but also Brian Colangelo has position the team so well for next year with so many expiring contracts for the big 2010 free agents.
I really like what Orlando has done (i really dont like that they had to give up Courtney Lee though).
As far as the Clippers go, I wouldnt say one move they made is not a good one. Zach Randolph was an average player put out to be the star of this team. The only peice of this team that i would like Dunleavy to deal with is Baron Davis. Baron was absolutely great on Golden State and made them one of the most exciting teams when he was with them.... however, many times last year, he was settling on offense, and really laboring or being lazy on Defense. Over all good off season though

Toronto will be over the cap next season and unable to sign a any "big 2010 free agent". He'll only be able to re-sign what he has. Why do people post that have no idea what they are saying?

secterm
08-18-2009, 03:22 AM
Why isn't anyone saying the Spurs?

They got Jefferson, Mcdyess, Blair, Ratliff and all it cost them was nothing.

Spurs, Clips, Orlando, Boston, Mavricks, Raptors, Wizards

Those are the 7 teams that I believe made significant strides to be better.

jj24
08-18-2009, 06:49 AM
they might have had the best offseason, but they'll choke it all away next offseason

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Definetly good offseason, but not the best!

But who cares, this team doesn't go nowhere if Dunleavy coaches, he's mentally ********!

randomness
08-18-2009, 09:58 AM
I believe Toronto did a really good job:

Traded Kapono for Evans.
Traded S&T Marion, Jawai and Humphries for Turkoglu, Wright and George.
Traded George for Belinelli.
Signed Jack and Nesterovic.
Gave Bargnani extension.
Supposively have traded S&T Delfino and Ukic for Johnson and Weems.
Drafted DeRozan at 9th overall.

Before:

Bargnani/Voskuhl/O'Bryant
Bosh/Mensah-Bonsu/Humphries
Marion/Graham
Parker/Kapono/Douby
Calderon/Ukic/Banks

After:

Bargnani/Nesterovic/O'Bryant
Bosh/Evans/Johnson
Turkoglu/Wright/Weems
DeRozan/Belinelli/Douby
Calderon/Jack/Banks

But SA, LAC, BOS, CLE, DET, ORL, ATL, DAL and OKC all had great off-season's too.

Mile High Champ
08-18-2009, 10:02 AM
They positioned themselves in a positive way for the future but best off-season for me is a team that did a lot to improve their squad in a big way... Personally I would think that either the Lakers, Raptors, Magic and Mavs had the best off-season.

king4day
08-18-2009, 10:05 AM
They've put themselves in a situation to get in on the Lebron sweepstakes.
I think they've done a fantastic job and I'd be excited if I was any player playing for the Clips right now.

THiiRTYONE
08-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Toronto takes the best offseason moves award.

thank you :clap:

Legend_23
08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Lakers, Spurs, Cavs, Celtics.. The only teams that added proven players. The only teams which are in good position to win and become champs. And in my books, thats what it means to have a succesfull offseason.
For other teams..(Clippers, Raps...and others) added good players, but they have to prove them selves worthy. They are taking good steps to becoming a better team, but only time will tell.

blastmasta26
08-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Lakers, Spurs, Cavs, Celtics.. The only teams that added proven players. The only teams which are in good position to win and become champs. And in my books, thats what it means to have a succesfull offseason.
For other teams..(Clippers, Raps...and others) added good players, but they have to prove them selves worthy. They are taking good steps to becoming a better team, but only time will tell.
So an offseason is not successful if you go from a team with the 1st overall pick to a potential playoff team? :eyebrow:

Unruly Fan
08-18-2009, 10:39 AM
thank you :clap:Can we PLEASE tone down the glorification? GEEZ, It's unncessecary.

I believe the Clippers, Spurs, Magic, Raptors, Cavaliers and possibly the Wizards have made the best moves this offseason.

Double_R
08-18-2009, 11:03 AM
This is silly, the Clips got Blake Griffen. That was their only great move. Other than that the rest of those guys are mediocure at best. Butler has a good 3 shot and what else and Telfair is an undersized, overhyped, throw-in salary piece to make a trade work player. So no I don't get why this thread is even going on. The Lakers switched Artest with Ariza, The Spurs added RJ, the Magic added Bass, Carter, Barnes, Ryan Anderson, resigned Gortat, and got an 8million dollar trade exception for Turk instead of just losing him, the cavs added Shaq(we'll see how that works) moon, Powe. The Mavs added Marion, resigned Kidd, etc. Those are just a few teams that had better off seasons than the Clips.

b_rad23
08-18-2009, 11:33 AM
This is silly, the Clips got Blake Griffen. That was their only great move. Other than that the rest of those guys are mediocure at best. Butler has a good 3 shot and what else and Telfair is an undersized, overhyped, throw-in salary piece to make a trade work player. So no I don't get why this thread is even going on. The Lakers switched Artest with Ariza, The Spurs added RJ, the Magic added Bass, Carter, Barnes, Ryan Anderson, resigned Gortat, and got an 8million dollar trade exception for Turk instead of just losing him, the cavs added Shaq(we'll see how that works) moon, Powe. The Mavs added Marion, resigned Kidd, etc. Those are just a few teams that had better off seasons than the Clips.

For a team that wanted nothing more than to clear some cap for their future, I'd say they succeeded.

They got rid of the black hole.

Now if they can find a way to move Kaman and Baron for expirings and young future assets, they've had a great offseason.

HouRealCoach
08-18-2009, 11:45 AM
They had a good offseason last year getting Davis, Camby, & Gordon.... But the best offseason goes to Lakers, Raptors, Spurs, Cavs, Mavs, and Magic, the Celts

HouRealCoach
08-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Definetly good offseason, but not the best!

But who cares, this team doesn't go nowhere if Dunleavy coaches, he's mentally ********!

Agree 200%

HouRealCoach
08-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Nets had a pretty good offseason because with the team they have now all the young players can mesh

Lo Porto
08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
If the Clippers get Sessions, they had the best offseason no doubt.

Some teams improved slightly, but they didn't come back with much more than they started. Example - Artest>Ariza, Vince>Turkoglu, but not by much. However, my top 5 goes to:

1. Washington - adding Foye and Miller and everybody coming back healthy could make them contenders
2. San Antonio - Add RJefferson to TP, Duncan and Manu? Added him for nothing? Get Blair 2nd round?
3. Toronto - They added the good complimentary pieces necessary to improve the team around Bosh
4. Dallas - They were solid last year and Marion only add more D. Not quite contenders, but improved
5. Clippers - Drafting Griffen & dumping Randolph for QRich improved them. Getting Butler was a steal too.

Honorable Mention - Utah - nobody new, but not one GM thought they'd still have Boozer, Okur, Millsap AND Korver.

Double_R
08-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Next thread Heat have best offseason in franchise history

bigsams50
08-18-2009, 12:44 PM
If the Clippers get Sessions, they had the best offseason no doubt.

Some teams improved slightly, but they didn't come back with much more than they started. Example - Artest>Ariza, Vince>Turkoglu, but not by much. However, my top 5 goes to:

1. Washington - adding Foye and Miller and everybody coming back healthy could make them contenders
2. San Antonio - Add RJefferson to TP, Duncan and Manu? Added him for nothing? Get Blair 2nd round?
3. Toronto - They added the good complimentary pieces necessary to improve the team around Bosh
4. Dallas - They were solid last year and Marion only add more D. Not quite contenders, but improved
5. Clippers - Drafting Griffen & dumping Randolph for QRich improved them. Getting Butler was a steal too.

Honorable Mention - Utah - nobody new, but not one GM thought they'd still have Boozer, Okur, Millsap AND Korver.

no boston love? sheed is gonna produce, and daniels is an underrated signing

mma&basketball1
08-18-2009, 01:03 PM
T.O has had the best offseason

dhalvarez
08-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Amongst the cellar dwelling teams the Clippers made the most out of a bad situation, then again they had the most tools to work with. Blake Griffin is going to change the culture of our team, I have a feeling about this guy.

I think that the only good thing they've really done was get the 1st overall pick.

It would be interesting to see if the Clips can unload their franchise curse before the knicks can.

As far as offseasons moves, I do think Toronto as done more than any other team to basically break apart and rebuild into a potentially very good team. Only 3 players (Calderon, Bosh, and Bargnani) from last year's team are on the roster. well five if you count Quincy Douby, and Banks who were added mid season.

Orlando has has a decent offseason adding Bass and Barnes.

Carter was a good addition, but I still would rather have Hedo, because the chemistry was great and I see Carter effecting it, but not in a better way. Nelson's health is going to be a main factor that dictates how far they'll go.

Cleveland is already a very good team, and adding A.P. and Shaq (if healthy) improves the team, but I wouldn't compare it to Toronto's make over, although Cleveland is still better (as long as they have Lebron anyways)

mrmike101
08-18-2009, 01:30 PM
The clips went from trying to pair brand and davis and now it's griffin and davis these guys have come full circle. It took a year to waste but I would take davis/griffin over davis/brand any day!! I can't wait to see how this great situation implodes on them, maybe a coaching feud? maybe a injury or 2? This is the luckiest franchise in basketball....... or are they?

Jay22Redd
08-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Spurs, Clips, Orlando, Boston, Mavricks, Raptors, Wizards

Those are the 7 teams that I believe made significant strides to be better.

Nice call.

2_Trill
08-19-2009, 03:17 PM
The Clippers.. Hell No.. They still suck