PDA

View Full Version : Popovich: Spurs 'Time Is Now'

JordansBulls
08-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Source: BostonGlobe (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/08/16/spurred_into_action/)

“Our time is now. Timmy [Duncan’s] time is now. He has three years left on his contract. Something tells me that you don’t have to be too smart to figure out that the next three years are probably going to be better than the three after that.’’

Toward that end, the Spurs have made some changes, and according to Popovich, “If we can stay healthy, we are back in the championship talk.’’ They added Richard Jefferson via trade, signed Antonio McDyess as a free agent (along with Theo Ratliff), and drafted burly DeJuan Blair in the second round.

The additions of Jefferson and McDyess pushed the Spurs well over the tax limit (almost $9 million, according to one account) and required some arm-twisting of longtime owner Peter Holt.

“We told him that if we were going to compete, we had to go over the [tax threshold]. He did not like that answer,’’ Popovich said. “But he also said, ‘I don’t like it, but I understand it, so go out and do what you need to do.’ ’’

Jefferson is the biggest of the new arrivals, a scorer, a wing player who still has a few hops left. Popovich got to know Jefferson during the 2004 Olympics (as did Duncan, a US teammate) and looks forward to having the ex-Net, ex-Buck on the team.

“He’s a grown-up. He doesn’t have to be developed,’’ Popovich said. “And personality-wise, he fits. He has a great sense of humor. You can coach him and he can respectfully talk back to you. Timmy enjoys him.’’

McDyess is also a grown-up. “He’s Kurt Thomas, but a better scorer,’’ Popovich said.

DetroitRipCity
08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
I agree they aint gettng any younger

Catfish1314
08-17-2009, 10:25 PM
The Spurs are in great shape for the next 2 years. They got in the playoffs with no Manu, a gimpy Duncan, and an exhausted Tony Parker. The return of Ginobili, Duncan at 100 percent, and the addition of Richard Jefferson will all take pressure off Tony Parker to carry them so much like he had to last season.

And they still have some solid role players in McDyess, Hill, and Mason.

DetroitRipCity
08-17-2009, 10:31 PM
And they still have some solid role players in McDyess, Hill, and Mason.

:sigh::sigh::sigh:

bbcmillionaire
08-17-2009, 10:33 PM
yeah thats my team in the west, since the lakers have soooo many fans since their last championship

Bruno
08-17-2009, 10:38 PM
He is a realist, he calls it like it is; thats why I like the guy.

still1ballin
08-17-2009, 10:40 PM
"Lak - Ers"

Nexus
08-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Boston's window is closing pretty fast as well.

kobe24>lebron23
08-17-2009, 10:44 PM
celtics and spurs window remains at 2-3 years and the lakers remains at 4-6 oh and that is if they stay healthy and who knows if they get another star it might be longer

TheHoopsProphet
08-17-2009, 11:04 PM
nothing groundbreaking here

what54!?
08-17-2009, 11:10 PM
yea he's right their time is now, when Timmy is done, the spurs are too

AlexTmz2
08-17-2009, 11:22 PM
We're takin it this year :) Go spurs Go!!!

JordansBulls
08-18-2009, 08:45 AM
We're takin it this year :) Go spurs Go!!!

Well it would be nice to see a KG vs Duncan finals.

Joshtd1
08-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Well it would be nice to see a KG vs Duncan finals.

Thing is..they proably would barely guard eachother.

I would imagine Duncan and Sheed guarding eachother, and KG and Dice guarding eachother.

bigsams50
08-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Thing is..they proably would barely guard eachother.

I would imagine Duncan and Sheed guarding eachother, and KG and Dice guarding eachother.

yea, they wouldnt want them to get into foul trouble