PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Offseason

RiosRampage11
08-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Ok so clearly the Rios Trade has left me sad and disappointed with our team but I have not given up hope, on J.P. yes, I gave up hope a long time ago probably around the time when he let my other two favourite players Delgado and Hudson go but besides the fact I need these things to happen, if they ever happen in the offseason so I can once again be proud to be a BLUEJAY FAN.

1) Fire J.P.
- Clearly this is a no brainer here if we want to compete for next season he's gotta go or we are gonna see some mediocore baseball for a couple more years.

2) Re-sign Doc
- No reason not to sign him now with all the money saved with Rolen and Rios, if they don't resign him i have to say you must trade him in the offseason regardless.

3) Sign Jason Bay
- With Rios Gone, I know some may shaft me for this but we do need a threat in the lineup again after Hill/Lind. He's Canadian and we can most likely on a 4 year contract maybe ?

4) Sign one of Bedard or Harden
- If we are going to compete we need a solid number 2 after Halladay and did you take in that Harden is only 28 !! even though these two pitchers are very injury prone when theyre not injured they are great top of the rotation guys, and again both CANADIAN.

5) Sign Figgens
- This is only so we can have a speed threat again in the lineup, one we dont have now or i dont think really ever had, we can probably move around people so he can be our perennial lead off hitter. (not that Scutaro is doing a bad job as our lead off guy its just that he's no chone figgens on the base pads... )

Yesss all these ideas are probably pipe dreams but we can still dream for a season next season can't we ? And with that offseason regiment playoffs dont seem so far away... and ill get over rios even :O. Even after this we still need to address our Closer position and C? But looking at it now if we do get this done our Lineup and rotation should look like this:

Figgens (SS or 3B) or Scutaro (SS) (if we keep him)
Hill (2B)
Lind (DH or LF)
Bay (LF)
Wells (CF)
Overbay (1B)
E.E. (3B or 1B)
Barajas or Arencibia (C)
Snider (RF)

Rotation:
Halladay
Bedard or Harden
Marcum
Romero
Cecil/Rzcepenski sp?

nstojic
08-17-2009, 05:29 PM
please, no bedard or harden... unless it's something like 5 mil.... they'll be worse than the burnett deal... imagine the amount of time they'll spend on the DL.....

Pride
08-17-2009, 05:57 PM
I don't think we need another outfielder. We got Snider coming up and Lind should be playing RF. And god knows Wells isn't going anywhere. Also, the fact that some of the players are Canadian should not heavily factor into the front offices' decision, at least I hope not.

statquo
08-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Bays going to the Yanks/BoSox. I honestly wouldn't mind Harden for a couple years but relatively cheap.

I'd rather just keep breeding the farm and letting the boys get some experience.

This thread is too early anyways, we need management figured out so we can get an idea of which direction we're going.

boms-4
08-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Bay is going to be a red sox next year i bet

R_Goulet
08-17-2009, 06:47 PM
J.P will be gone. I have not been a total JP Hater like some, but I do agree he has worn out his welcome.

With a New GM and Pres. (Beeston will hire his own replacement) The organization will have a much needed new outlook and may have an easier time getting a few F/A's cause I dont imagine many wanna work with JP anymore.

The Outfield is set with Wells, Snider and Lind. Nothing we can do about Wells.

Keep Scut - He wont cost us tooooo much $$$, he seems to work well with Hill and when it comes to 2nd and Short, you need those two positions to have chemistry which those two have...I'd prefer to keep that intact. He's earn his extension.

Halliday Will NOT resign till he knows what the hell is in place for this team moving forward after 2010. It'd be nice...but it's NOT happening this off season.

IF Things are looking pretty grim for us in this off season (No F/A's coming to town) and we already know 2010 will not be a turning point year, the new GM and Pres gotta work on Maxing Doc's Value via Trade.

Try to Move Overbay (although I dont hate the guy and dont care if we keep him). Move Encarnacion to 1st to minimize his need at defence.

Use some of that Rios Rolen $$$ to get a 3rd basemen and a PROVEN POWER BAT FOR DH. I'm think'n Thome would fit that nicely.

Keep 1 of Barajas or Chavez and let them platoon with J.P. Arencibia getting some experience in the Majors.

Depending on what Doc wants in the Off Season, that will really effect how the Rotation looks because I dont think we Trade Doc with-out getting another Ace-like Prospect or Major League ready Player. The Rotation could look like

Doc (or his main Trade Piece)
Romaro
Marcum
Cecil
Litsch or Rzepczynski (I like Richmond in the Pen)

Just a few possible moves but the team could be well on their way. Definitely not all doom and gloom! BUT still an important off season.

fatkev78
08-17-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm with you on all points except 4. I really don't want to see any injury prone pitchers, plus if Halladay is still here or traded for pitching I don't think it's really necessary. I like your thoughts on Bay & Figgins, but I'd put Figgins in like this:

3rd Figgins
2nd Hill
DH Lind
LF Bay
CF Wells
1st Overbay/Encarnacion (platoon)
RF Snider
C Barajas?
SS Scutaro

Halladay (if not traded)
Romero
Marcum
Cecil
Litsch/Richmond/Rzepczynski

R_Goulet
08-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Bay is going to be a red sox next year i bet

He's already stated that he wants to work out an extension with Boston in the Off Season. He's not coming to T.O

R_Goulet
08-17-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm with you on all points except 4. I really don't want to see any injury prone pitchers, plus if Halladay is still here or traded for pitching I don't think it's really necessary. I like your thoughts on Bay & Figgins, but I'd put Figgins in like this:

3rd Figgins
2nd Hill
DH Lind
LF Bay
CF Wells
1st Overbay/Encarnacion (platoon)
RF Snider
C Barajas?
SS Scutaro

Halladay (if not traded)
Romero
Marcum
Litsch
Cecil

Nice Rotation Kev. Goulet agrees...but unfortunately we wont get Bay (see above Post)

fatkev78
08-17-2009, 06:54 PM
[/B]

Nice Rotation Kev. Goulet agrees...but unfortunately we wont get Bay (see above Post)

I agree, we probably won't get him (or Chone for that matter), I'm just talking about a dream off season (as is the original poster).

R_Goulet
08-17-2009, 07:00 PM
I agree, we probably won't get him (or Chone for that matter), I'm just talking about a dream off season (as is the original poster).

I know,

I hear ya....The Jays need to take the Same approach to the GM Position as the Raptors have done with Colangelo...

Hire a guy who is respected and well known through-out the MLB and fork some $$$ over to the GM Position. I just dont know who that would be at this time lol. Although I did hear from numerous sources on fan 590 and Sportsnet that our current Assistant GM Alex Anthopoulos would be a good candidate....but he did partake in the formation of some of our back loaded contracts!

FlakeyFool
08-17-2009, 07:28 PM
trade doc

get rid of wells

sign some young talent

rebuild

2009mvp
08-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Encouraging stuff from Blair today...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/catching-bolt-no-easy-feat/article1254082/

I keep hearing that Rogers Communications has let it be known that they will agree to increase the Toronto Blue Jays’ payroll, but only if Paul Beeston stays on as president and chief executive officer. The thinking is he would be allowed to hire a facilities management guy and bring in a veteran baseball person if he so desires to continue grooming Canadian-born assistant general manager Alex Anthopoulos

Sounds good but a couple GM jobs open up and Anthopoulos could be in demand. IIRC he was close in Seattle. If these media guys (McCown and now Blair) keep hearing about a payroll hike wouldn't it make sense to let your disgruntled fanbase know it sometime soon? I personally hope we're not gonna go out there and throw money at guys just because they're available but knowing the funds are available to be able to take on some salary is certainly comforting and will certainly help transition the (inevitable) new GM.