PDA

View Full Version : Portland got lucky not signing Turkoglu..

prash
08-17-2009, 02:29 PM
After Hedo Turkoglu backed out of a verbal agreement with Portland in order to sign with the Raptors, many felt the Blazers let a top player slip away.

But Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith didn't agree.

In a conversation with Blazers' general manager Kevin Pritchard, Smith told Pritchard that he had "caught a break" with Turkoglu signing elsewhere and made it clear the Blazers "weren't missing out on anything," sources tell ******'s Alex Kennedy.

Smith didn't feel that Turkoglu was worth the five-year, $50 million Portland was ready to spend.

Turkoglu spent five seasons in Orlando before signing with Toronto.

I agree with this. Turkoglu ain't worth 50+ million at 30 years old. He's a talented player, and a pretty good closer, but we over paid him.

Chronz
08-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Im not buying it, thats what any owner would say after getting dumped which both of these guys were. Seems bitter to me. Portland couldve used Hedo.

slaker619
08-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Hedo Is A Baller And Otis Smith Is Just Pissed Off Because He Didn't Get Hedo

Unruly Fan
08-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Im not buying it, thats what any owner would say after getting dumped which both of these guys were. Seems bitter to me. Portland couldve used Hedo.x2

scully8743
08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah sounds like he's just mad or ignorant.

Tdots-Guido
08-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Found this in another thread exactly the same.

Over the next 4yrs ...

Toronto will be paying their Small Forward/Power Forward - Hedo Turkoglu

roughly $42 million

Orlando will be paying their Small Forward/Power Forward - Rashard Lewis

roughly $85 million

Both guys the are the same age (30yrs old)
They put up relatively the similar numbers (lewis better 3pt, hedo better passer assists)... let's give the edge to lewis...
They both play multiple positions...

is lewis really worth $43 million more than hedo?

Did Toronto really overpay that much? or is Otis just upset that Hedo turned down the $9 million a year to stay in Orlando?

FlakeyFool
08-17-2009, 03:13 PM
otis is just bitter

C_Mund
08-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Don't worry, Smith got rid of that cancer Hedo and picked up Wince Quitter.

MAC10TIZZY
08-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Found this in another thread exactly the same.

Over the next 4yrs ...

Toronto will be paying their Small Forward/Power Forward - Hedo Turkoglu

roughly $42 million

Orlando will be paying their Small Forward/Power Forward - Rashard Lewis

roughly $85 million

Both guys the are the same age (30yrs old)
They put up relatively the similar numbers (lewis better 3pt, hedo better passer assists)... let's give the edge to lewis...
They both play multiple positions...

is lewis really worth $43 million more than hedo?

Did Toronto really overpay that much? or is Otis just upset that Hedo turned down the $9 million a year to stay in Orlando?

we way over paid for rashard, but is that really what this thread is about....noooooooo......and if we didn't sign lewis someone else would of....kinda like what happend to you guys, you got the guy you wanted just at a lil bit higher of a price. but hey if thats your dude rejoice in the signing....but portland did get lucky they are a young team, why would they waiste $50 million on a thirty year old

DLeeicious
08-17-2009, 04:23 PM
In my opinion Hedo is a terrible fit on Portland to begin with. Money and contract aside, he just doesn't fit in well with what they are trying to do there. When I heard rumors of him going to Portland I was pretty shocked because that really makes no sense to me at all. They DID do themselves well to not sign him and Miller makes more sense with a need at PG anyways.

Unruly Fan
08-17-2009, 04:32 PM
In my opinion Hedo is a terrible fit on Portland to begin with. Money and contract aside, he just doesn't fit in well with what they are trying to do there. When I heard rumors of him going to Portland I was pretty shocked because that really makes no sense to me at all. They DID do themselves well to not sign him and Miller makes more sense with a need at PG anyways.I dont know about you, but Oden/Aldrige/Hedo/Roy/PG looks pretty nice to me.

xbrackattackx
08-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Sounds a bit sketchy to me....

Chronz
08-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Whats this about Shard? Guys with his efficiency shooting the ball will always be held in high regard. Cant compare the 2 guys

JordansBulls
08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
http://basketball.******.com/src_wiretap_archives/61111/20090812/smith_told_pritchard_blazers_caught_a_break_with_t urkoglu/el/

I agree with this. Turkoglu ain't worth 50+ million at 30 years old. He's a talented player, and a pretty good closer, but we over paid him.

Hedo would have been good for Potland IMO.

dtmagnet
08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Sounds like those grapes are too sour for Portland.

awr0430
08-18-2009, 05:48 PM
I dont know about you, but Oden/Aldrige/Hedo/Roy/PG looks pretty nice to me.

Miller would be at point...

Your sig is hilarious.

jiggin
08-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I think that Portland could have used him but he isn't worth what he wanted over the life of that contract at his age. Portland was in a position that they didn't really "need" him, although it would have been nice.

ESPN is the reason this Tuku stuff was such a big deal. Portland never said they had anything agreed with him but ESPN tried to be the first to break a story and got bad info from a "source" they wouldn't reveal. ESPN strikes again...what a ****** media outlet they have become.

Anyway...I DO believe that Portland is better off in the long run without Turk, but he would have made a nice addition to that starting lineup before his game slows at the end of that contract.

Tblaze
08-18-2009, 06:09 PM
I think Miller is a soooooooo much better fit, we have real talent at the 3. If Webster comes back healthy we're set. PG was the real problem.

ink
08-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Closed because the source is another sports forum site.

WE DO NOT ALLOW OTHER FORUMS TO BE POSTED ON PSD.

Please respect that policy.