PDA

View Full Version : Is Joe Johnson a franchise player

kswissdaf
08-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Would you build a franchise Joe Johnson?

I say no, he isnt the type of guy he can carry a team IMO i would love to have him as a second option

SteveNash
08-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Yes, since he was able to lead the Hawks to the playoffs 2 years in a row, being able to beat Wade this year.

MSG34
08-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Nope. He's a great #2 option but a weaker #1.

Catfish1314
08-17-2009, 01:08 AM
I don't understand why you would say he can't carry a team since that's basically what he's done with Atlanta the last two seasons. I mean they are a solid team, but subtract him and you have a jumbled mess of a basketball team that would likely be bottom 2 in the East.

That said, he's a borderline franchise player to me. I'd like to see him lead the Hawks a little farther.

Joshtd1
08-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Eh..not sure if he's a franchise player.

HuRRiCaNeS324
08-17-2009, 01:14 AM
He's an amazing player, but i don't think he's the type of player you would build a team around. I would LOVE to have him though.

Chicagofaithful
08-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Yeah he's on and off... compared to the Elite franchise players Kobe, LBJ, Wade... he's not on their level... but he adds about as much as say Amare does. But neither will win single handedly..

FOBolous
08-17-2009, 01:16 AM
I don't understand why you would say he can't carry a team since that's basically what he's done with Atlanta the last two seasons. I mean they are a solid team, but subtract him and you have a jumbled mess of a basketball team that would likely be bottom 2 in the East.

That said, he's a borderline franchise player to me. I'd like to see him lead the Hawks a little farther.

replace joe johnson with a REAL franchise player and the Hawks will instantly become a contender. seriously...they have so much talent on that team it's not even funny. Imagine Kobe, Wade, Chris Paul, Durant, Lebron or Yao playing with the likes of Bibby, Al Horford, Josh Smith, and Marvin Williams. Instant contender.

FOBolous
08-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Yeah he's on and off... compared to the Elite franchise players Kobe, LBJ, Wade... he's not on their level... but he adds about as much as say Amare does. But neither will win single handedly..

:clap:

players like Joe Johnson, Amare, and Carmelo Anthony are better suited as 2nd options helping out the superstar.

Catfish1314
08-17-2009, 01:19 AM
replace joe johnson with a REAL franchise player and the Hawks will instantly become a contender. seriously...they have so much talent on that team it's not even funny. Imagine Kobe, Wade, Chris Paul, Durant, Lebron or Yao playing with the likes of Bibby, Al Horford, Josh Smith, and Marvin Williams. Instant contender.

Horford, yes. Especially in a few years. But Smith and Williams are inconsistent and have you seen Mike Bibby lately? He's not much more than a stand still shooter now.

But I agree with you. A guy like Wade, Paul, or even Roy would do wonders for them because they all excel at making their teammates better.

kswissdaf
08-17-2009, 01:21 AM
All im saying is i dont think he can win my team a championship

Kyben36
08-17-2009, 01:25 AM
HE is a franchise player, but not a game winning one, such as MJ, He will need alot of help to be a contender, especialy in the front court, but if he can get that help, he can surely be the best player on a championship team.

Trouble87
08-17-2009, 01:47 AM
I voted NO

He's got 'franchise player' talent but he doesn't have the attitude that you would want the face of your franchise to have

not aggressive enough

Raps18-19 Champ
08-17-2009, 01:58 AM
Last time I checked, he took Boston to 7 games last year and beat Miami this year.

How is that not carrying team?

twoearl
08-17-2009, 02:00 AM
No. Joe is very good, but not great. He is basically a taller version of Ben Gordon to me. He can score but dosen't do much else.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-17-2009, 02:06 AM
No. Joe is very good, but not great. He is basically a taller version of Ben Gordon to me. He can score but dosen't do much else.

:speechless:

How can you een say that. He is one of the more versitile players in the league.

He can play PG, SG and SF.

He averages like 6 APG and 5 RPG.

He slashes when he plays SF, shoots when he plays SG and distributes when he plays PG. The complete opposite of Ben Gordon who is pretty much just a shooter.

Ebbs
08-17-2009, 02:12 AM
I think his playofff performance proved that he is not

twoearl
08-17-2009, 02:14 AM
:speechless:

How can you een say that. He is one of the more versitile players in the league.

He can play PG, SG and SF.

He averages like 6 APG and 5 RPG.

He slashes when he plays SF, shoots when he plays SG and distributes when he plays PG. The complete opposite of Ben Gordon who is pretty much just a shooter.

Ben averaged 2.9 rebs and 3 assists per game in the playoffs last year. Joe has about 3 or 4 inches over Ben and he can only muster up 2 more assists and rebs per game?

ryanj12344
08-17-2009, 02:22 AM
he is hella good and i think he is underated but he isn't a franchise player

Raps18-19 Champ
08-17-2009, 02:24 AM
Ben averaged 2.9 rebs and 3 assists per game in the playoffs last year. Joe has about 3 or 4 inches over Ben and he can only muster up 2 more assists and rebs per game?

Ben Gordon is shorter but he isn't even good enough to play around with the ball. Ben Gordon is the shorter player and last time I checked, the smaller players are usually the better handlers. The fact that Joe Johnson is 6'7 can can handle and distribute the ball like a PG is pretty good. Johnson is also a perimeter player and they aren't really suppose to get that much rebounds. And Gordon played 5 more minutes than him. And who does the Bulls have for rebounds. The Hawks have 3 guys 6'9 or over that is in their starting lineup so that takes away from Johnson.

BULLSFAN0810
08-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Hes what me and my guy calls a Hooper ..... he justs ball , he has the G , but doesn't have the KILL SWITCH .

zezak
08-17-2009, 02:56 AM
Last time I checked, he took Boston to 7 games last year and beat Miami this year.

How is that not carrying team?

Wrong!!!!!
You have no idea what your talking about.

Did you watch the playoffs this year especially against the Heat? He played garbage 5 out of the 7 games. In 5 games he averaged 15.6 points on 38% shooting. When one game was actually close he chocked up and a true franchise player took over the game, Wade.

His far from a franchise player, he would be a great second option to a true franchise player. Put a real franchise player on that team and their instant contenders.

Your telling me a 16.4ppg with horrible %, 4.5reb, 3.5apg is someone you want to build your team around.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-17-2009, 03:15 AM
Wrong!!!!!
You have no idea what your talking about.

Did you watch the playoffs this year especially against the Heat? He played garbage 5 out of the 7 games. In 5 games he averaged 15.6 points on 38% shooting. When one game was actually close he chocked up and a true franchise player took over the game, Wade.

His far from a franchise player, he would be a great second option to a true franchise player. Put a real franchise player on that team and their instant contenders.

Your telling me a 16.4ppg with horrible %, 4.5reb, 3.5apg is someone you want to build your team around.

No but maybe the fact that you have one of the best offensive and defensive player in the league as the opposing SG makes it hard.

Do yo think you would be able to score 20 on 45% when you work your *** off just trying to stop a top 4 player in the game and trying to score when you have one of the best defenders in the league even if you had Joe Johnsons talent and size.

Mavrix
08-17-2009, 03:48 AM
He'll be a great second option in Dallas next season

MSG34
08-17-2009, 09:36 AM
:clap:

players like Joe Johnson, Amare, and Carmelo Anthony are better suited as 2nd options helping out the superstar.

Carmelo Anthony proved last year he is a superstar.

magichatnumber9
08-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I love JJ and I wish the Celtics kept him. He is not a franchise player, but he is that echelon underneath.

unwantedplayer
08-17-2009, 10:17 AM
No. Hes an allstar caliber player, but he will never reach that high.

HiphopRelated
08-17-2009, 10:51 AM
No

koreancabbage
08-17-2009, 11:00 AM

WTF? i don't think your logic is quite there yet. there is a big difference to average 5 rebounds and 5 assists per game than averaging 3 rebounds and 3 assists.

Johnson is like the jack of all trades literally, short of Lebron and Kobe numbers. I'm pretty sure he can score 25+.

he's an allstar

ben gordon is not

TO Rapz
08-17-2009, 11:08 AM
hes not a franchise player buht hes borderline and a valid leader on a team

ctitus45
08-17-2009, 11:09 AM
last time i checked he is currently ATL's franchise player. so YES, he is a franchise player. is he the number 1 option on a championship team? not yet and unlikely in the future. If he wants a ring or rings he will be a number 2 option. But yeah, literally..he's a franchise player in his current situation.

tland22
08-17-2009, 11:11 AM
he is a great peice on a team... but on any really good tea, he CANNOT be "the man"

so I say no

Bruno
08-18-2009, 03:39 AM
He's really good, he's just not quite at that level.

secterm
08-18-2009, 04:36 AM
considering there are 30 franchises in the league a Joe Johnson is arguably a top 15 or 20 player in the league, yes he is a franchise player. He's been the best player on a playoff team for multiple years straight. YES.

jj24
08-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Absolutely not. The guy has a horrible FG % and takes too many bad shots. He's a good passer and averages around 5 assists a game, but his shot selection is poor and he takes a lot of them... and misses.... never pick him for your fantasy team

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Nope, he's not a real 1st option!

JordansBulls
08-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Yes, since he was able to lead the Hawks to the playoffs 2 years in a row, being able to beat Wade this year.

What do you consider a franchise player? A guy who can led a team to the playoffs as the hands down best on the team or a guy who can led a team far in the playoffs as the hands down best on the team?

blastmasta26
08-18-2009, 10:55 AM

Borderline franchise player is the perfect description. He can carry his team pretty far and can nearly be a franchise player, but isn't completely. He would be a phenomenal #1 or #2 if he could have one other All-Star playing with him.

Ace33Bone
08-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Joe Johnson is without a doubt a franchise player true he is no Kobe, LBJ, or Wade but last time i checked his team has been in the playoff 2 years n a row and he is an allstar that is steadily improving