PDA

View Full Version : Exec: Emeka Okafor Hasn't Developed Game

ARMIN12NBA
08-17-2009, 12:41 AM
The Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor swap was one of the more surprising trades of the summer.

"He just hasnít added up to the devastating package we thought he might be," said one executive of Okafor, citing his lack of development since being the 2nd overall player selected in the 2004 draft.

http://boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/08/16/spurred_into_action/?page=3

Okafor still hasn't really developed into the force everybody expected him to become. He has been steady and solid. What do people think about Okafor? Do you think that being steady and solid prevents him from being considered a bust or somebody who didn't fill their potential? Do you think he can improve his game and become that dominant type player?

In general, what do you think of Okafor's career so far and what do you see lying ahead?

BlondeBomber41
08-17-2009, 12:43 AM
He is what he is, and what he will always be most likely. A solid double double guy who can play good defense and has a few post moves but overall isnt much of a scorer.

Joshtd1
08-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Not sure what they really expected from him on offense? He was drafted because of his rebounding/defensive abilities. I think Okafor is doing just fine.

BlondeBomber41
08-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Not sure what they really expected from him on offense? He was drafted because of his rebounding/defensive abilities. I think Okafor is doing just fine.

I'm pretty sure they expected him to turn into a truly elite defender like Ben Wallace, Dikembe Mutombo or Shawn Bradley.

He is a real solid defender, rebounder, and shot blocker but he hasn't exactly became what they were hoping on that end.

LaKeRs824
08-17-2009, 01:14 AM
^^^shawn bradley?

this is pretty much what okafor is going to be through out his career. a solid center that will lose his starting job the second someone a LITTLE better comes along.

theuuord
08-17-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm interested to see how he responds to playing with the best point guard in the NBA.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-17-2009, 02:00 AM
He can be a 20 and 10 guy but he is a naturally a rebounder and defender.

Lakersfan2483
08-17-2009, 02:40 AM
He is never going to be an elite player, but he's still a solid role player. He's had a decent career thus far, definitely nothing spectacular. I never felt he would come in the league and become a 25 and 10 guy, as he doesn't have that type of talent. As far as the future is concerned, he has a good chance to continue to improve and play for a better team now, so it's up to him to make the most of it.

Mckphins
08-17-2009, 03:11 AM
Playing with chris paul and on a contending team could make him a future all star! It happened with David West. I see him being very solid next season!

DerekRE_3
08-17-2009, 03:14 AM

Well, his measurables at the nba draft "combine" I guess you could call it were very similar to Dwight Howards. Physically Okafor has all the tools. He's 6'10, has a 7'4 wingspan, and a 34 inch vert. He just never developed fundamentals offensively and hasn't improved at all since his rookie season.

op12
08-17-2009, 11:17 AM
he can be an all star if he adds a consistent short range jumper to his game. still think he will always be a #3 scorer, which is what no is probably expecting. he is great on d and rebounding. nobody saw him in charlotte, i think people will take notice this year.

koreancabbage
08-17-2009, 11:21 AM
he won't be an all-star but he'll be a great center/pf with great defensive abilities.

if he played with Paul, he'll average 15-18 points, 10 boards, and 2-3 blks

tland22
08-17-2009, 11:26 AM
only three players in the NBA have averaged a DOUBLE-DOUBLE in Rebs and Points in each of the last 5 seasons: OKAFOR, Duncan, and Howard.

Okafor is damn solid. Not even remotely cose to a "bust" or anything like that. He has only been in the NBA for 5 years... so far, so good.

Jays Claw
08-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Emeka Okafor will continue to be a solid player throughout his career. When Emeka Okafor was selected #2 overall in the 2004 NBA draft many people thought he would be a guy who would give the team 15 points and 8 rebounds a night. Emeka Okafor pretty much turned out to be a guy who will give you 10 points and 10 rebounds a night.

mitch91
08-17-2009, 11:35 AM
in one word, solid

he isnt spectacular but is a good nba centre, maybe he can up his scoring a bit more now hes playing with cp3

ARMIN12NBA
08-17-2009, 08:26 PM
only three players in the NBA have averaged a DOUBLE-DOUBLE in Rebs and Points in each of the last 5 seasons: OKAFOR, Duncan, and Howard.

Okafor is damn solid. Not even remotely cose to a "bust" or anything like that. He has only been in the NBA for 5 years... so far, so good.

That's the entire point the executive was making. Okafor has been solid since he was a rookie, but hasn't improved or developed at all.

blastmasta26
08-17-2009, 10:25 PM
That's the entire point the executive was making. Okafor has been solid since he was a rookie, but hasn't improved or developed at all.
Emeka is one of those players that already reached their ceiling during their rookie season. He won the Rookie of the Year Award and people thought that he would soon become dominant, but he didn't have a super high ceiling like most other ROY winners have.

29$JerZ
08-17-2009, 10:30 PM
He is a solid player who will always get you rebounds,blocks and make penetrators think twice about driving in. Offense from him isn't necessary, he was always a great defensive player. He is the perfect compliment to a scoring PF/C

JayW_1023
08-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Who cares, he is still an upgrade over Chandler who will be exposed as a part time player without getting the alley-oop gimmes Paul gives him. Larry Brown will get migraine headaches getting Chandler to overachieve...which might happen.

Okafor is still a double double in ink most games.

Hawkeye15
08-19-2009, 12:42 PM
true, he hasn't really improved since he came in, essentially a 13/10 player. Playing with Chris Paul should up his scoring a bit though.

Hustla23
08-19-2009, 12:48 PM
He has no offense.

South Side 95th
08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I had Okafor on my fantasy team last year and he does not come up big against the elite bog men. He should blk more than two blocks a game. I also think he would be better off playing thr PF position instead of center.

North Yorker
08-19-2009, 01:27 PM
His offensive game is so damn robotic.

DerekRE_3
08-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Who cares, he is still an upgrade over Chandler who will be exposed as a part time player without getting the alley-oop gimmes Paul gives him. Larry Brown will get migraine headaches getting Chandler to overachieve...which might happen.

Okafor is still a double double in ink most games.

Brown seems to think he will be a better fit than Okafor if healthy. The Bobcats really needed some lengh inside. Diaw is undersized at PF at 6'8, and Okafor is barely 6'10 in shoes. The Bobcats got a lot longer with the Chandler trade, and more importantly, shed about $40 million in future salary liability. They had to trade one of their big contracts (Okafor or Wallace). I think they traded the right guy if they had to choose between the two.

Jahari Kavi
08-19-2009, 02:05 PM
okafur is a solid big, but I must admit that I thought he'd be a little better than what he is, when he came out. I always thought he should've went ahead of dwight howard, but I was obviously wrong on that one................none the less he's still solid, like I said.

what54!?
08-19-2009, 02:07 PM
he's pretty much been the same since he was a rookie. Not really worth the #2 pick but soild player

masalex1205
08-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Okafor would be a surefire All-Star if he was a few inches taller. All the talk of Okafor's natural position being a power forward is nonsense, he's just a short center.

Okafor's lack of desire is the main impetus of his lack of development. He just isn't that passionate about the game. Larry Brown kind of made fun of him at the end of the season. He said something along of the lines of, "if he put as much effort in basketball as he did yoga then he'd be very good."