PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Walsh Thinks Darko Can Blossom With Knicks

ARMIN12NBA
08-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Knicks general manager Donnie Walsh believes that Darko Milicic can blossom in New York.

"He was a very skilled player when he was drafted," Walsh said, according to the New York Post. "I think the thing that's held him back is he's been thought of as a guy that has to play with his back to the basket. And everywhere he's been, people have tried to do that.

"I don't think that will be the case here," he added. "The way [coach] Mike [D'Antoni] plays, the fact that he's a skilled, fairly athletic, long big man who can run the floor and can dribble the ball, shoot the ball, pass the ball, he might fit into this system better. That's what I'm hoping."

Milicic was the second pick in the 2003 NBA Draft behind LeBron James and ahead of Carmelo Anthony.

The Knicks acquired Milicic from the Grizzlies in a draft night trade involving Quentin Richardson.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08152009/sports/knicks/walsh_high_on_darko_184669.htm

-Kobe24-TJ19-
08-17-2009, 05:36 AM
NO!
Darko sucks!

Reversed86Curse
08-17-2009, 06:01 AM
I see another disappointing season in the Knicks future......

heatbb
08-17-2009, 06:23 AM
i see another disappointing season in the knicks future......

+1

Lakerfan8032
08-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Good luck with that, Knicks.

DCSportsIsPain
08-17-2009, 08:31 AM
I suspected long ago that Donnie Walsh wasn't half as intelligent as he is given credit for being. Thinking Darko Milicic will ever be a legitimate starter in the NBA proves Walsh is an idiot. Hoping he is a legitimate starter is a sign of desperation. Good general managers are good, not desperate. Let's see: David Lee. Darko. David Lee is looking pretty under-rated right now, Donnie Dumb-***.

BkOriginalOne
08-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Darko will have his best season with the Knicks.

magichatnumber9
08-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Is Donnie and Mike D trying to build a Euro team in New York? I am not talking trash about the Europeans but it seems like they are focused more on international ball players then are home grown.

AntwanN21
08-17-2009, 09:37 AM
yeah ok............

DCSportsIsPain
08-17-2009, 09:45 AM

That isn't saying much. He's a seven-footer who gets 5 PPG and 4 RPG. There are guards who out-rebound Darko. A lot of them. Even Kwame Brown scores more PPG. Darko is a poor man's Kwame Brown. What does that say about Darko?

cubulls
08-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Donnie Darko is going to be hot ****...

mervinout
08-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Lets be honest the knicks will not be good this year what a shock. Luckily i have the good luck to be a giants and a yankees fan lol. But you people are two quick to judge everyone has had darko play with his back to the net. He comes with an expiring contract, its not like the knicks were going to be any good this year. So lets see how he does when he doesn't have his "back to the net". If he can't even excel in a European system then yes he is 100 percent usless. But right now he is just 90 percent useless.

PS can't believe i wasted my first post on this guy

king4day
08-17-2009, 10:09 AM
He'll probably have a career year, but not one that'll make people say he was worth the second pick.

TO Rapz
08-17-2009, 10:18 AM
and thats why the knicks only win like 30 games a year...

BoognishMN
08-17-2009, 10:26 AM
I could see it happening. With that system he could become a decent player, but he'll never live up to being picked # 2.

Jays Claw
08-17-2009, 10:29 AM
It seems like Donnie Walsh is prepared to have Darko Milicic in his 2010 plans. :rolleyes:

bigsams50
08-17-2009, 10:31 AM
yeah ok............

for some reason in your sig bosh looks like samuel dalembert lol

rabzouz 96
08-17-2009, 10:36 AM
what else should he have said, we acquired darko because he was the only player sucking enough to be traded for q-rich?

KnicksorBust
08-17-2009, 10:36 AM
I knew I shouldn't have bothered to read this thread because there is going to be unnecessary Knick bashing. We traded a player we didn't need in Q-Rich for a player that actually helps us in Darko. We didn't have a center last year and we had to parade David Lee and Jared Jeffries out there to get the job done (which they didn't). Darko is perfectly capable of playing 20-25 minutes and putting up around 8pts-6rbs-2blocks and that would be a huge contribution on a team that had no interior prescense on defense last year.

lakers4sho
08-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Dude what do you expect him to say? That Darko Milicic sucks ***? Donnie Walsh is just trying to act professionally. That's all. I don't expect him (or any other GM, for that matter) to bad mouth any of his players.

BigDFan85
08-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Donnie Walsh also thought it was a good idea to hire Isiah Thomas.

Jays Claw
08-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Darko Milicic isn't a bad player. The guy is a solid rebounder and doesn't have a lot of problems scoring in the paint. No one would have a problem with Darko Milicic if he had been taken say late in the first round. One thing is for sure and that is he will never live up to the #2 overall pick in the 2003 NBA draft.

Hellcrooner
08-17-2009, 11:17 AM
oh great idea on the knicks part go and let him make a 30 pg 15 rg season in order than he goes and asks for the max at seasons end and they have to either resign him or get lebron,,,,,,man....

if they are so high on him, they shoudnt have gone on the press with it and try to extend him for cheap first

OG "Dee" LOCc
08-17-2009, 11:54 AM

This is where you lose all credibility, because Donnie Walsh came in last year and fired Isiah thomas lol.

:facepalm:

DCSportsIsPain
08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
what else should he have said, we acquired darko because he was the only player sucking enough to be traded for q-rich?

At least this would have been honest.

Daze9900
08-17-2009, 12:10 PM
If he could develop into somewhat of an austin croshere jeff foster type I would take that.

BigDFan85
08-17-2009, 01:26 PM
This is where you lose all credibility, because Donnie Walsh came in last year and fired Isiah thomas lol.

Oops, I meant Dolan which makes my comment in this thread even more pointless. :facepalm indeed: Touche sir.

29$JerZ
08-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Knick rule number 1, don't post any Knick related news in the NBA forum and expect good replies

*Superman*
08-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah so did Detroit, Orlando, and Memphis, dude will never live up to the expectations.

phoenix_bladen
08-17-2009, 03:19 PM
i don't see why all the bashing is needed

they gave up a player that they did not need and was injured alot throughout his career

for a young player that can shot block which the knicks desparately needed

and plus playing for mike D can only help

so why all the bashing?

CityofTreez
08-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Darko Millic blossoming? Don't make me laugh

Hustla23
08-17-2009, 03:27 PM
At least this would have been honest.
lol And I'm sure if Donnie was "being honest" , he's be " an idiot " for lowering Darko's value :rolleyes:

I find it almost impossible that someone could bash trading an old, sucky , expiring, for a young expiring with upside.

It's unbelievable how thick headed some posters can be.

b_rad23
08-17-2009, 03:27 PM
I really think Kwame can blossom in Detroit.

andybauer91
08-17-2009, 03:44 PM
If Darko can put the work in, get into shape, he culd live up to sum of his hype going into the draft

throughout his career he has been misused and it hasnt worked for him

now however he will be playin in an offense that more suits his abilities

theres no guarantee he will putting up all star numbers but he certainly will rasied thoses 5 points a game stats to more like 9-10 points per game with 5 to 7 rebounds and a block HOPEFULLY

darko is still young and it is his last yr of his contract so you never know wut will happen, but its a LOW risk HIGH reward type situatnio. I mean if he blows as usual you can just not play him or trade him but if he plays well we can use him for 15-20 min per game instead of friecken jared "cant shoot" jeffries..i have nooo idea how that guy got in the league he cant even shoot!!!

and his whole thing is that he can play defense... he is not even that good at it!!!

and now we got Toney Douglas to do that anyway... :rolleyes:

DeeJay
08-17-2009, 04:35 PM
i don't see why all the bashing is needed

they gave up a player that they did not need and was injured alot throughout his career

for a young player that can shot block which the knicks desparately needed

and plus playing for mike D can only help

so why all the bashing?

Many people just like to bash the Knicks, that's why.

phoenix_bladen
08-17-2009, 04:40 PM
If Darko can put the work in, get into shape, he culd live up to sum of his hype going into the draft

throughout his career he has been misused and it hasnt worked for him

now however he will be playin in an offense that more suits his abilities

theres no guarantee he will putting up all star numbers but he certainly will rasied thoses 5 points a game stats to more like 9-10 points per game with 5 to 7 rebounds and a block HOPEFULLY

darko is still young and it is his last yr of his contract so you never know wut will happen, but its a LOW risk HIGH reward type situatnio. I mean if he blows as usual you can just not play him or trade him but if he plays well we can use him for 15-20 min per game instead of friecken jared "cant shoot" jeffries..i have nooo idea how that guy got in the league he cant even shoot!!!

and his whole thing is that he can play defense... he is not even that good at it!!!

and now we got Toney Douglas to do that anyway... :rolleyes:

+1

agreed it would be interesting to see how he pans out on the knicks

arkanian215
08-17-2009, 04:47 PM
darko produces as well as varejao. i like darko more than varejao though.

Giaps
08-17-2009, 05:06 PM
To all the Knick haters, remember what goes around comes around and your team sucked once and will suck again someday.

Despite the media brain washing, this isn't Isiah's degenerate, future-less Knicks anymore.

MPScribbles
08-17-2009, 05:35 PM
I think that Darko on D'Antoni's european system can be a pretty decent player. I always thought the magic should have kept him. Maybe Dwight could have rubbed of on him(no homo) like Jordan did Pippen. Going against the guy in practice everyday would have been great for Darko's game.

DCSportsIsPain
08-17-2009, 05:49 PM
lol And I'm sure if Donnie was "being honest" , he's be " an idiot " for lowering Darko's value :rolleyes:

I find it almost impossible that someone could bash trading an old, sucky , expiring, for a young expiring with upside.

It's unbelievable how thick headed some posters can be.

Milicic is a former #2 draft selection who is now being traded to the dregs of the NBA for the dregs of the NBA. How much could Donnie Walsh possibly devalue him with the truth?

Giaps
08-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Let's not stretch the truth here... all the man said was he thought he could be a better player here than he's been anywhere else and that is entirely possible. He openly said he doesn't expect him to be the #2 player in the 2003 draft.

Hustla23
08-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Milicic is a former #2 draft selection who is now being traded to the dregs of the NBA for the dregs of the NBA. How much could Donnie Walsh possibly devalue him with the truth?
So you want him to say something alone the lines of "Darko Milicic sucks. Trading Quentin Richardson, one of the worst players in the league for him was a huge mistake."

Is that right?

A G.M.'s job is to improve a team as much as possible. Right? So would saying that improve the team in any way?

Do you feel that trading Quentin Richardson for him was a mistake?

If you do, then you should quit posting on these forums for a huge lack of intelligence.

mikantsass
08-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Darko Blows. The Knicks need to take a page from the Yanks and splurg on FA's.

Hustla23
08-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Darko Blows. The Knicks need to take a page from the Yanks and splurg on FA's.
I didn't know the Knicks played in Major League Basketball.

Byronicle
08-17-2009, 08:18 PM
so did Detroit, Magic, and was it Memphis....just give him minutes! thats the only way he can develop and bring out that potential *sarcasm*

OA SLAY
08-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Donnie Walsh smokes CRACK......YEAH the Knicks still rule!

Raps18-19 Champ
08-17-2009, 08:36 PM
I think he can average David Lee numbers but with lesser scoring but almost any player can have their stats bloated in that system.

D-Will4Prez
08-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Donnie Walsh doesn't seem much smarter than Isiah Thomas o.o

DCSportsIsPain
08-17-2009, 09:27 PM
I think he can average David Lee numbers but with lesser scoring but almost any player can have their stats bloated in that system.

There is **** all no chance Darko grabs 65 double-doubles this season. :facepalm:

DCSportsIsPain
08-17-2009, 09:34 PM
So you want him to say something alone the lines of "Darko Milicic sucks. Trading Quentin Richardson, one of the worst players in the league for him was a huge mistake."

Is that right?

A G.M.'s job is to improve a team as much as possible. Right? So would saying that improve the team in any way?

Do you feel that trading Quentin Richardson for him was a mistake?

If you do, then you should quit posting on these forums for a huge lack of intelligence.

No, I want him to just shut the hell up and let his management do the talking instead of his mouth. He is under no obligation to blow smoke up the collective ***** of people who know better. Yes, Walsh's job is to build the best team he can build. No, trading Richardson was not a mistake, as the Knicks could have 13 members of Saint Mary's Of The Deaf And Blind suit up for them this season.

Let's avoid the personal attacks on intellect based upon disagreement on a sports forum, shall we?

Raps18-19 Champ
08-17-2009, 09:39 PM
There is **** all no chance Darko grabs 65 double-doubles this season. :facepalm:

He got 7 and 7 last year. I think he can get 10 and 10 in the run and gun.

JMKnick33
08-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Donnie Walsh doesn't seem much smarter than Isiah Thomas o.o

Because trading for Quentin Richardson (Isaiah Thomas move) was better than trading away Quentin Richardson for a need (Donnie Walsh move). I never thought of that! Wow, you're just as smart too! :rolleyes:

superkegger
08-17-2009, 09:56 PM
If he's going to succeed anywhere in any kind of system, it would be New York. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he had a breakout year this year.

JMKnick33
08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
If he's going to succeed anywhere in any kind of system, it would be New York. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he had a breakout year this year.

and by breakout, all I'm hoping for is somewhere around 10 and 8 and 1.5 blocks. I'd be thrilled with that.

DetroitRipCity
08-17-2009, 10:04 PM

thats not saying much

Hustla23
08-17-2009, 10:04 PM
No, I want him to just shut the hell up and let his management do the talking instead of his mouth. He is under no obligation to blow smoke up the collective ***** of people who know better. Yes, Walsh's job is to build the best team he can build. No, trading Richardson was not a mistake, as the Knicks could have 13 members of Saint Mary's Of The Deaf And Blind suit up for them this season.

Let's avoid the personal attacks on intellect based upon disagreement on a sports forum, shall we?
So you want him to lock himself inside a hole and avoid the media altogether?

The guy is approached by the media and asked some questions to which he gives his honest responses.

What do you want? For him to fly around on a jetpack so nobody can know his opinions?

Nobody else took "offense" to his remarks except you.

Why are you trying to hype a situation when there's nothing of substance to debate?

If Donnie said he liked Coke instead of Pepsi, would you go into the same kind of tirade?

JMKnick33
08-17-2009, 10:30 PM

The guy is approached by the media and asked some questions to which he gives his honest responses.

What do you want? For him to fly around on a jetpack so nobody can know his opinions?

Why are you trying to hype a situation when there's nothing of substance to debate?

If Donnie said he liked Coke instead of Pepsi, would you go into the same kind of tirade?

I think he would. I've seen this guy say nothing but negative things about the Knicks. But, what can we do?

DCSportsIsPain
08-17-2009, 10:40 PM

The offense is at replacing a bust with a bust and trying to glorify it.
I'm not insinuating Walsh should put his own player down, but he traded one nobody for another nobody and everyone knows his 2010 plans are far bigger than Darko Milicic. He's sandbagging the season to recover from the Isiah experiment, and everyone knows it, so why pretend otherwise?

JMKnick33
08-17-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm not insinuating Walsh should put his own player down, but he traded one nobody for another nobody and everyone knows his 2010 plans are far bigger than Darko Milicic. He's sandbagging the season to recover from the Isiah experiment, and everyone knows it, so why pretend otherwise?

An unneeded bust, for a needed bust. Why can't you just accept it was a good move simply because it's a low risk, wait I mean a no risk high reward situation for the Knicks.

blastmasta26
08-17-2009, 10:58 PM
To motivate Darko so that he can be a useful contributor. We could use the shot blocking and interior defense that he brings to the table.

DCSportsIsPain
08-17-2009, 11:24 PM
An unneeded bust, for a needed bust. Why can't you just accept it was a good move simply because it's a low risk, wait I mean a no risk high reward situation for the Knicks.

To motivate Darko so that he can be a useful contributor. We could use the shot blocking and interior defense that he brings to the table.

Fair enough. If the Knicks can get more out of Darko Milicic than any of his previous teams, more power to Donnie Walsh and company. If they can turn him into a competent starting center, all the better. I think they are expecting more than Darko has to offer, but if he proves me wrong I'll come back to this thread and admit it.

JMKnick33
08-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Fair enough. If the Knicks can get more out of Darko Milicic than any of his previous teams, more power to Donnie Walsh and company. If they can turn him into a competent starting center, all the better. I think they are expecting more than Darko has to offer, but if he proves me wrong I'll come back to this thread and admit it.

touche :clap:

that still doesn't mean I think he's gonna blow up this year either though. but, I can only hope for the best..

ChaseMe
08-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Another team I have to feel sorry for...

aNYer
08-18-2009, 12:59 AM
People do ignore some parts of stories but in the end we got a player that has proven he can block shots (we were last in the league) and had his best season when not being forced to be a back to the basket player. Even if we don't see a huge increase in overall performance it cost us an old player that shoots too much at a position we have more then covered for 1.2 blocks and 4 bounds per 17 minutes(career averages). Anything above that is a plus.

b_rad23
08-18-2009, 01:11 AM
I think it was a nice pickup but he'll never be anything special. He was what they needed though.

D-Will4Prez
08-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Here we come first overall draft pick :cheers:

JMKnick33
08-18-2009, 01:40 AM

:mad:

Haha, you might be right though. That's why I'm hoping for one of two things at least to happen. For us to make the playoffs. Or for you guys to draft a bust in the lottery :)

Raps18-19 Champ
08-18-2009, 01:44 AM

Haha.

Would that be a first that a team has someone else's pick and they get the first overall pick?

D-Will4Prez
08-18-2009, 01:45 AM
:mad:

Haha, you might be right though. That's why I'm hoping for one of two things at least to happen. For us to make the playoffs. Or for you guys to draft a bust in the lottery :)
Nooooooo....We've had enough busts we don't need anymore :(

still a fan
08-18-2009, 08:44 AM
I posted this in the Knicks forum thought it fit well here:

It amazes me how guy's will continually bash a lottery team LOL, is NY that much of a threat? I"m talking the city...because the team has not be right for some yr's now yet it gets so much attention , very confusing....but we will right the ship very soon...

Walsh high on darko

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some here have said this as well...so lets hope Donnie is right...I've used examples of Chauncy Billups taking over 5 yrs to blossom, he gets a change of scenary in Detroit and becomes one of the best PG's in the league, and aruguably the best at making his team better....look at a guy like Turk who played with Sacramento, averaged around 10 points and 3 boards for 4 yrs goes to Orlando and averages close to 17 points and 5 boards and assists go from 1.5 with the Kings to over 4 with the magic...so why not have some hope here?

Mike did this with Nash, look what he did for Marion's game: If Darko can play up to the hype that drafted him ahead of Melo, the Knicks could finally get that break we so desperately need:

ARMIN12NBA
08-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Haha.

Would that be a first that a team has someone else's pick and they get the first overall pick?

Nope. The Lakers did that twice in a span of 4 years to get two players by the names of Magic Johnson and James Worthy.

blastmasta26
08-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Seriously though, you're not getting the first overall from us unless you get extremely lucky in the draft lottery. Knicks will probably have a slightly better record than last year. Swapping Q for Darko is part of the reason.

knicks09
08-18-2009, 11:29 PM

WOW !! Shows how smart you are. Donnie Walsh wasnt even with the knicks when Isiah Thomas was hired and Donnie Walsh is the one who fired him. Great job

knicks09
08-18-2009, 11:43 PM
so did Detroit, Magic, and was it Memphis....just give him minutes! thats the only way he can develop and bring out that potential *sarcasm*

neither of those teams had the run and gun system. All u guys make it sound like darko cant turn into a decent player. Just look at Chauncey Billups, Jermaine O'Neil and Gerald Wallace, it took them like 5 years for them to "fit in"

29$JerZ
08-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Darko isn't a half court Center like many thought he would be when he was drafted. In Detroit it failed because of that. In Orlando he had a real good year and it showed why. In Memphis he got hurt.

I'm not saying he is a Top 15 Center because he isn't, but if he comes here and gives us 2 blocks and rebounds/scores when we need him too that's a big plus. We don't expect much but it can';t hurt to try him out. Our system is meant for him to suceed, if he fails here he really is a huge bust.

jjfan122
08-19-2009, 12:17 AM
even if he does this good this year, knicks still wont make the playoffs. And I'll be surprise if he doesn't get traded like every other former knick player.

THiiRTYONE
08-19-2009, 12:26 AM
umm, no

phoenix_bladen
08-19-2009, 01:02 AM

+1

i agree a lot of morons post here just to bash the knicks

i see nothing wrong what donnie walsh did infact i think he's done a brilliant job in lowering the cap space ( once the highest in the league )

and being very patient with free agents as well as RFA in terms of money

everyone else that is here to bash the knicks get the hell outta here

phoenix_bladen
08-19-2009, 01:04 AM

i don't see what's wrong with this ?

qrich wasn't going to fit regardless and this is a good move since the knicks needed some shot blocking

low risk high reward like other say it

you're an idiot

phoenix_bladen
08-19-2009, 01:06 AM
neither of those teams had the run and gun system. All u guys make it sound like darko cant turn into a decent player. Just look at Chauncey Billups, Jermaine O'Neil and Gerald Wallace, it took them like 5 years for them to "fit in"

+1

i'm also very interested to see how darko pans out this is a very good situation for him and i hope he does as well so all the haters here will stfu

Eli The Great
08-19-2009, 01:17 AM
please enough with the darko milicic garbage...when he was paired alongside dwight howard you couldnt have given him a better situation..he was supposed to make his outside jumpers and he wouldnt have been bothered down low with dwight taking up all the defenders..i was high on him and he had his best season i think he was averaging almost 12 points for a stretch but hes never going to "flourish"....he'll be an average at best player and with the knicks they have no one to take the pressure off him...they should pray for him to average 8 and 8

2_Trill
08-19-2009, 01:29 PM
LOL... im still laughing...