PDA

View Full Version : Would the Mavs still be contenders had they kept Devin Harris ....

JordansBulls
08-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Would the Mavs still be contenders had they kept Devin Harris instead of trading for Jason Kidd?

mrtrey1992
08-16-2009, 01:50 AM
hellllll yea cause think about it they went to the finals when they had harris they ain't doing nothing really with kid accept getting put out in the first or second round of the playoffs nothing towars jason kidd but i would of kept harris

BlondeBomber41
08-16-2009, 01:52 AM
Not anymore than they are now with Kidd. Not saying individually that Harris isnt better than Kidd, but Kidd is more of the type of PG that is needed in Dallas.

JJ_JKidd
08-16-2009, 01:59 AM
Im a Kidd fan but my answer to the question is I DONT KNOW. All I know is that the Mavs had 50 wins and a playoff appearance. I just dont know about the Nets.

blazerman
08-16-2009, 02:14 AM
I would admit the Mavs are legit if they still had Harris but with Kidd they're just middle of the pack. Shawn Moron, Drew Gooden and Tim Thomas wont do much for them and Kidd is almost 45yrs old :smoking:

The loss of Bass will hurt more than Mavs fans will want to admit. They should deal Howard and Dumbier for a better big, Moron would be able to do an adaquate good at sf.

ZebraCity916
08-16-2009, 03:24 AM
I thought they were stupid when they traded away Harris. But then I thought,"Only time will tell. Maybe it will workout for the best."

I was right. They were stupid.

Beno7500
08-16-2009, 03:26 AM
I would think so

Bruno
08-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Absolutely, and they would be for many, many years to come. Still a bad trade, and will always be a bad trade unless they can win a title before Kidd retires.

jlisec01
08-16-2009, 06:46 AM
I guess, Jason Kidd is at the end of his career and Harris is young and very talented. But looking down the road Kidd isn't going to be around ... but still how dominating that conference is I would have to say NO, Harris wouldn't of been enough to get over the slump, but with Harris they would have a lot more opportunities to try.

Trouble87
08-16-2009, 07:28 AM
No... Harris needed the move to thrive... fresh start for him brought out the best

#1Mavericksfan
08-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Man I thought this Kidd for Harris thing was over but I guess not.....Devin was traded because he wasn't a pure PG or a leader and after what Baron Davis did to him that was all she wrote for Devin, I don't think it's a bad trade now because Devin can't even get the Nets in the playoffs and the Mavs went to the playoffs 2 stright seasons with Kidd and won a playoff series, the only thing that make the trade bad is all the draft picks the Mavs gave away to get Kidd other than that I'm not mad about the trade anymore.

People can bash the Mavs all they want but there is no way Devin would be putting up the same numbers he did with the Nets on the Mavs not when you have Dirk, Howard, Terry who need shot to be affective, the Mavs got Jason Kidd who's still a good passer, has great court vision and a good 3-point shooter, I'm happy the Mavs got Kidd because he's a true leader.

magichatnumber9
08-16-2009, 08:23 AM
did someone actually say time will tell? My god how many years do you think Jason Kidd has?

JordansBulls
08-16-2009, 08:52 AM
did someone actually say time will tell? My god how many years do you think Jason Kidd has?

Kidd really has 1 year left IMO.

jsumadchat
08-16-2009, 08:55 AM
lol 'would they still be contenders?' the answer is no because they mavs ARENT and HAVENT been contenders. they have been a middle of the pack team for the last couple of years and adding more age in marion to a team that is already up there wont help much. if they had kept dev and not let bass walk this year, then they would be contenders.

Kakaroach
08-16-2009, 09:38 AM
No, because with Dirk, Terry, and Howard still on the team, Harris would never have been an All-Star. No one even talked about him like an elite PG before this season. So no.

disk 8
08-16-2009, 01:13 PM
no.

JJ_JKidd
08-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Absolutely, and they would be for many, many years to come. Still a bad trade, and will always be a bad trade unless they can win a title before Kidd retires.

Thats hard... Very hard considering theres a team out there called the Los Angeles Lakers.

JordansBulls
08-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Thats hard... Very hard considering theres a team out there called the Los Angeles Lakers.

Doesn't mean they can't be upsetted. It happened to them in the 80's to the Rockets in 1981 and 1986 and in 1990 by the Suns. Also in 2004 was the last time LA was upset in a series.

JJ_JKidd
08-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Doesn't mean they can't be upsetted. It happened to them in the 80's to the Rockets in 1981 and 1986 and in 1990 by the Suns. Also in 2004 was the last time LA was upset in a series.

Yeah theres the upset but,,, the chances are slim. But,,, theres still a chance :speechless:

azkarraga
08-17-2009, 07:32 AM
id say no. harris is a hell of a player, but not a solid pg as kidd.

bctgg27
08-17-2009, 08:04 AM
I think the Mavs are contenders right now.

#1Mavericksfan
08-17-2009, 08:19 AM
lol 'would they still be contenders?' the answer is no because they mavs ARENT and HAVENT been contenders. they have been a middle of the pack team for the last couple of years and adding more age in marion to a team that is already up there wont help much. if they had kept dev and not let bass walk this year, then they would be contenders.

This is coming from a Raptors fan lol, do you only look at Raptors basketball or something?....you must not remember the 05-06 Mavs that made it to the finals, to sit up here and say the Mavs "ARENT" and "HAVENT" been contenders just shows how much you don't know anthing about Mavericks basketball, the Mavs have been one of the most successful team this decade they just don't have the NBA titles like the Lakers and Spurs to show for it.

SteveNash
08-17-2009, 08:24 AM
No, their future would be brighter, but they'd still have to do a heck of a lot of work to make them contenders.

#1Mavericksfan
08-17-2009, 08:27 AM
No, their future would be brighter, but they'd still have to do a heck of a lot of work to make them contenders.

The Mavs are one BIG man away from being real contenders

jsumadchat
08-17-2009, 08:57 AM
This is coming from a Raptors fan lol, do you only look at Raptors basketball or something?....you must not remember the 05-06 Mavs that made it to the finals, to sit up here and say the Mavs "ARENT" and "HAVENT" been contenders just shows how much you don't know anthing about Mavericks basketball, the Mavs have been one of the most successful team this decade they just don't have the NBA titles like the Lakers and Spurs to show for it.

LOL you are a joker. where did my post have ANYTHING to do with the raps? it doesnt matter if they went to the finals FOUR years ago, that doesnt make them contenders NOW and it doesnt mean they were contenders SINCE then. although they have had successful regular seasons it hasnt translated to ANYTHING in the playoffs. they havent made it past the first round since 05 until last year, and they were up against a spurs team that did not have ginobili at full strength. and lastly, i am pretty sure that success isnt defined by how many wins you accumalte during the REGULAR SEASON. if you dont have the titles to show for it, you're NOT successful. look at KG, bron, kobe, dwade. it don't matter what you did in the regular season if you dont win a title. there's only a HANDFUL of contenders - the cavs, magic, lakers, celtics, and spurs. i say this EMPHATICALLY - the mavericks are NOT one of those teams.

SteveNash
08-17-2009, 09:07 AM
The Mavs are one BIG man away from being real contenders

Wilt Chamberlain is dead man.

magichatnumber9
08-17-2009, 09:20 AM
What makes you think they are not already contenders

blitzburghMAV
08-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Thats some funny **** man.... i cant wait to see this thread come playoff time.
Yes, kidd is old but harris always got dominated by bigger PGs...and its not like he stopped tony parker, he just got to the lane pretty quick... so, all we're missing is a slasher to replace his absence/contributions... he was no leader....WE have one now in KIDD, who might i add is getting the best out of DIrk even though nowitzki's well over 30.
Adding a piece like MATRIX will bring a whole other scoring option.. with JET, howard, dirk, and matrix, we have 4 guys that can easily score 30 points any given night. PLus, we have some guys that can light up for 10 to 15 in kidd, gooden, and "you can't C me"TIM THOMAS. All in all, just because everyone hates MARK, people seem to think that will translate into a failed season...Be AWARE....Mavs will be the next miami heat...ironically

blitzburghMAV
08-17-2009, 09:51 AM

blitzburghMAV
08-17-2009, 09:51 AM

Iman5830
08-17-2009, 10:23 AM
No, they would not have been. And the reason is because if they kept Devin they would not have been keeping the Devin that was an all-star last year. He only became better because he was given an opportunity to shine on a mediocre team, while if he stayed on the mavs he would not have gotten that opportunity. And because of this, he would not have played as well. On the Nets he is the first option, while on the Mavs he would be behind nowitzki, terry, and howard

koreancabbage
08-17-2009, 11:03 AM
if Harris came back somehow- Dallas would very much be contenders.

For Harris, he needed a more open-reign to see his own potential. In Dallas, i truly believed he was suffocating (in terms of potential)

DLeeicious
08-17-2009, 11:08 AM

What are you talking about? They haven't been contenders? What the hell is a contender to you? The championship winner? Is that what you require to be a contender? They were in the FINALS, and have consistently been a 50 win team.

Yes, they would still be contenders with Harris on their squad.