PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays Promote Casey Janssen From AAA

Jays Claw
08-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Blue Jays bring up Casey Janssen from AAA to replace Jeremy Accardo in the bullpen.

Cito on sending Accardo down: "There's somebody that we want to get up here and take a look at. Hopefully, he'll be back in September."

Source: http://twitter.com/MLBastian

Jays Claw
08-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Casey Janssen is most likely going to take on the role Jeremy Accardo had in the bullpen.

nithanyo
08-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Jansen has less than stellar numbers in AAA. I actually think that his career might be over. IF you look back at my posts i called it several months back when i said that Mcgowan and Janseen are toast

McJoe
08-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Why the **** does Accardo keep getting sent down!!! He has a 2.50 ERA and has been very good. Back to his closer form from 2 years ago IMO. He should stay here.

He has been better than League, Camp, Roenicke, and even Downs. He basically has the best numbers on the team and he has now been sent down twice in the past like 3 weeks.

Jays Claw
08-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't feel comfortable at all giving Casey Janssen the ball in late innings.

bomber0104
08-14-2009, 08:40 PM
this is just dumb... you got to feel for Accardo... Janssen has got nothing. His fastball sits at 89 and that simply isnt enough

2009mvp
08-15-2009, 02:10 AM
^^He's averaging exactly 1 MPH lower with his fastball this season than during his stellar '07 campaign, and that's not factoring in him going deeper into ballgames as opposed to the inning or two he threw at a time in '07. Velocity is not the issue. You put him back in the pen and hope he excels once again primarily throwing the cutter and his slider. There's no significant reason that would make you think he's far off of the guy we saw two years ago that was so crucial to the pen's success.

Twitchy
08-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Janssen's biggest problem is his lack of an out pitch and until he develops one it really won't matter what role he is in. His career high K/9 in 07 was 4.83.

I like Janssen a lot and want him to succeed, but it's next to impossible for him to succeed even as a reliever if he doesn't bring that K rate up.

Kbowes9
08-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Janssen's biggest problem is his lack of an out pitch and until he develops one it really won't matter what role he is in. His career high K/9 in 07 was 4.83.

I like Janssen a lot and want him to succeed, but it's next to impossible for him to succeed even as a reliever if he doesn't bring that K rate up.

But he did succeed with his role in '07. Please explain...? Thx

Twitchy
08-15-2009, 01:16 PM

Well, he had an abnormally high LOB% (80%, vs league average which is closer to 70%), an abnormally low HR/FB% (5%...for comparison Halladay's career HR/FB% is closer to 10). The difference in HR's allowed is enough to raise his ERA by 0.50, and that's being conservative. Had it been 10% he would have allowed 7 HR in 72 2/3 innings vs the 4 he allowed. Which at minimum is 3 extra runs and could end up being as much as 12 runs.

The walk rate wasn't bad, but the thing is since he doesn't strike out many hitters he can't afford to have it be any worse. His biggest problem is that he is totally reliant on the defense. Yeah, we have a good one, but ideally you want your good RP's to be shutdown guys, capable of getting a strikeout in a key spot. With Janssen you'll notice him getting ahead of most hitters, getting to two strikes and then being unable to get that strikeout. That's because he doesn't have an "out" pitch, something like League's splitters, or Downs' curveball.

I don't think he'll ever be as good as he was in 07. A low 4 ERA as a RP would probably be a best case scenario. I think he'd be best used when you need a double play, because he's a groundball pitcher who is pretty much forced to put the ball in play.

If you expect him to pitch like he did in 07, you'll be very disappointed.

bomber0104
08-15-2009, 01:16 PM

I actually don't know how he did it... it seemed to me that he got a lot of luck

Big Hurt
08-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Jansen has less than stellar numbers in AAA. I actually think that his career might be over. IF you look back at my posts i called it several months back when i said that Mcgowan and Janseen are toast

Why would the Jays call him up if they think his career might be over?
They had to move an effective guy to the minors to accomplish this.

The reason Accardo keeps getting sent down over Camp is because Jeremy still has options left and does not need to pass through waivers to be sent down.

ChongInc.
08-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Why the **** does Accardo keep getting sent down!!! He has a 2.50 ERA and has been very good. Back to his closer form from 2 years ago IMO. He should stay here.

He has been better than League, Camp, Roenicke, and even Downs. He basically has the best numbers on the team and he has now been sent down twice in the past like 3 weeks.

agreed.
send camp down.
who cares about waivers.
we can just cancel the waiver claim cant we?

Kbowes9
08-16-2009, 08:06 PM
appreciate the info

Well, he had an abnormally high LOB% (80%, vs league average which is closer to 70%), an abnormally low HR/FB% (5%...for comparison Halladay's career HR/FB% is closer to 10). The difference in HR's allowed is enough to raise his ERA by 0.50, and that's being conservative. Had it been 10% he would have allowed 7 HR in 72 2/3 innings vs the 4 he allowed. Which at minimum is 3 extra runs and could end up being as much as 12 runs.

The walk rate wasn't bad, but the thing is since he doesn't strike out many hitters he can't afford to have it be any worse. His biggest problem is that he is totally reliant on the defense. Yeah, we have a good one, but ideally you want your good RP's to be shutdown guys, capable of getting a strikeout in a key spot. With Janssen you'll notice him getting ahead of most hitters, getting to two strikes and then being unable to get that strikeout. That's because he doesn't have an "out" pitch, something like League's splitters, or Downs' curveball.

I don't think he'll ever be as good as he was in 07. A low 4 ERA as a RP would probably be a best case scenario. I think he'd be best used when you need a double play, because he's a groundball pitcher who is pretty much forced to put the ball in play.

If you expect him to pitch like he did in 07, you'll be very disappointed.