PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Rosen: Putting the D in the NBA

Chronz
08-14-2009, 04:42 PM
So it's my distinct pleasure to first turn the spotlight on the NBA's most diligent man-to-man defenders.

Ron Artest has lost a step laterally but can still bang with anybody and has great hands around the ball. If his team defense leaves much to be desired, the refs let him grab and hold and thereby distinguish himself as a genuine stopper.

Trevor Ariza is a pickpocket defender who relies strictly on quickness and anticipation.

Shane Battier plays outstanding position defense and excellent team defense. Additionally, Battier is Houston's traffic cop on the defensive end — the best one, in fact, since the halcyon days of Scottie Pippen.

Kevin Garnett plays defense with more energy than any of his peers. Plus, his length and quickness offer so much help to his teammates that it often seems as though the Celtics have six defenders on the court.

Udonis Haslem has the length, quickness, skills and desire to at least control even the most dynamic scorers he faces. And Haslem does all the Heat's behind-the-scenes dirty work on defense.

Chuck Hayes makes up for his lack of size — 6-foot-6, 242 pounds — with his incredible physicality and rough-and-ready, post-up defense is his specialty.

Royal Ivey can stay in front of even the quickest point guards and also stay in touch with shooting guards.

Richard Jefferson is branded by his peers as just another stuck-up player from Arizona, but when he puts his nose to the grindstone, he's a down-and-almost-dirty defender.

Dahntay Jones was only interested in scoring when he played in Memphis. But his game plan has evolved to the point where he now plays adhesive defense with a chip stuck to his shoulder.

Andrei Kirilenko can easily be out-muscled, but his extraordinary length and quickness can also shut down scorers who mostly rely on finesse. In addition, even the league's most muscular scorers always dread going up against AK-47.

Kendrick Perkins is rapidly becoming a space-eating, body-bumping defensive force in the shadow of the basket.

While I'm on the subject of defense, the following players are not very good straight-up defenders but do provide excellent weak-side defensive help: Chris Andersen, Marcus Camby, Tim Duncan, Josh Smith, Samuel Dalembert, Amare Stoudemire, Chris Kaman, Anderson Varejao and Yao Ming.

Also, these guys are capable of playing top-notch defense but do so only periodically: Kobe Bryant, Baron Davis and Chris Paul.

And finally ...

Check out the full read, he rips on Dwight and Bron abit.

Beno7500
08-14-2009, 05:23 PM
then post the link

Hustla23
08-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Link please ? (so we can check out the rest )

GoatMilk
08-14-2009, 05:30 PM
here

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9928972/These-guys-put-some-D-in-the-NBA

Chronz
08-14-2009, 05:42 PM
lmfao sorry bout that

NYMetros
08-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Charlie Rosen is awesome. A truly great NBA writer.

La11
08-14-2009, 05:43 PM
this guy is a piece of ****. He doesnt know anything about basketball and he is a know it all. He talked trashed about everybody all the time and has he ever played ball? He should be coaching if he knows his ****....

DerekRE_3
08-14-2009, 06:03 PM
He mentions 3 Bobcats. :drool:

Gerald Wallace is the rare NBA performer who always plays all-out on both offense and defense.

:nod:

Catfish1314
08-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Decent article.

Apparently Tim Duncan isn't a very good straight-up defender. :rolleyes:

NYMetros
08-14-2009, 06:07 PM
this guy is a piece of ****. He doesnt know anything about basketball and he is a know it all. He talked trashed about everybody all the time and has he ever played ball? He should be coaching if he knows his ****....

Actually, he used to be a CBA coach and Phil Jackson's assistant. And he knows a lot more about basketball than you or I do.

DerekRE_3
08-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Decent article.

Apparently Tim Duncan isn't a very good straight-up defender. :rolleyes:

I'm also surprised Emeka Okafor wasn't on there.

Catfish1314
08-14-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm also surprised Emeka Okafor wasn't on there.

Well Duncan was on there, Rosen just referred to him as a "not very good straight-up defender".

I too am surprised to have not seen Okafor's name on the list somewhere. The same goes for John Salmons, Joakim Noah, Chauncey Billups, and especially Kirk Hinrich.

DCSportsIsPain
08-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Well Duncan was on there, Rosen just referred to him as a "not very good straight-up defender".

And when was the last time Rosen played post defense in the NBA?
It must be nice to get paid to criticize others for something a person can't do.
I'd like to see Rosen try to get a shot off on Duncan.

kurivaimu
08-14-2009, 07:18 PM
where the **** is rondo

DerekRE_3
08-14-2009, 07:21 PM
It must be nice to get paid to criticize others for something a person can't do.

That's really not relevant. You can know a lot about basketball without having been a star. Look at Michael Jordan. Do you want him as your GM? The guy drafted Adam Morrison and Kwame Brown.

lakers4sho
08-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I agree with Mr. Rosen here, especially with his comments about Dwight and LeBron.

Unfortunately, 95% of the population would still go for the highlights blocks and steals that make ESPN's top plays of the day.

DCSportsIsPain
08-14-2009, 07:37 PM
That's really not relevant. You can know a lot about basketball without having been a star. Look at Michael Jordan. Do you want him as your GM? The guy drafted Adam Morrison and Kwame Brown.

Jordan is far more qualified to write about Duncan's, or any other NBA players' post defense than Rosen is. Sports writers thrive on sensationalized and inflammatory blogs as opposed to actual reporting. I understand that if Rosen writes substantiated fact with little or no room for argument it makes for legitimate reporting, not blogging or tweeting or editorializing. And we can't have any legitimate sports reporting.

Toenail Clipper
08-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Finally, a person who thinks LeBron is overrated. :D

smith&wesson
08-14-2009, 07:46 PM

LOL why you soo mad at the writer for ?? you know he is just a writer right ? its his job to be critical and he is writing about defence. who's good at it and who lacks it.. seems pretty straight forward to me... since when do we expect writers to have nba abilities to write articles ?? thats new to me..

so basically if a writer cant dunk he cant critisize a player who cant dunk ?? what the hell is that ?? lol

magichatnumber9
08-14-2009, 07:47 PM
"Kendrick Perkins is rapidly becoming a space-eating, body-bumping defensive force in the shadow of the basket." man that sounds dynomite. Perkisabeast.com go there if you dare

Hustla23
08-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Very thorough and good article. Rosen has some good stuff.

I agree with him about Dwight.

Blocks are probably the most overrated stat in basketball considering most times a block results in the opposing team just getting the ball back ( it's either swatted out of bounds or back into another teammates hands ).

I don't agree entirely in regards to Lebron. Lebron is the most athletic player in sports, let alone basketball, so it's hard to imagine that he has many physical deficiencies that would prevent him from being a good defender. If Lebron is lacking in any aspect of defense, it's more a mental thing than physical IMO.

And he completely missed the ball on Duncan. Duncan is a first rate defender in every aspect of the game. Straight up man to man, weak side, etc.

But not every writer is perfect and it's hard to say the entire article is weak because of one mistake (alebeit a big one lol).

DCSportsIsPain
08-14-2009, 07:54 PM
LOL why you soo mad at the writer for ?? you know he is just a writer right ? its his job to be critical and he is writing about defence. who's good at it and who lacks it.. seems pretty straight forward to me... since when do we expect writers to have nba abilities to write articles ?? thats new to me..

so basically if a writer cant dunk he cant critisize a player who cant dunk ?? what the hell is that ?? lol

I expect a paid sports writer to look like he knows what the **** he is talking about. Otherwise, he looks just as ****ing stupid as most of the retards who post on message boards like this one. :D

DenButsu
08-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Not that he's ever right about anything regarding the Nuggets, but if Rosen was paying better attention he'd have left Dahntay Jones off that list and put K-Mart there in his place. And Anthony Carter is also a superior defender to Dahntay. K-Mart can legitimately guard every position (although he does struggle at times when he's outsized), while Dahntay can legitimately guard one position, point guard, and that's partly because he takes advantage of his size advantage in those matchups while having the athleticism to have good lateral movement to stay in front of his man. But against shooting guards (which is where his defense was usually needed most for Denver), he's really very mediocre.

smith&wesson
08-14-2009, 08:23 PM
I expect a paid sports writer to look like he knows what the **** he is talking about. Otherwise, he looks just as ****ing stupid as most of the retards who post on message boards like this one. :D

so why dont you give some examples of what you disagree with ??

are you here to talk about basketball or just to project your insecurities in other ppl... you sound like a bitter little kid.

and i hope thats not your own picture posted, because that would explain why your so dam bitter... a face only a mother can love hahahahaha

secterm
08-14-2009, 09:30 PM
so why dont you give some examples of what you disagree with ??

are you here to talk about basketball or just to project your insecurities in other ppl... you sound like a bitter little kid.

and i hope thats not your own picture posted, because that would explain why your so dam bitter... a face only a mother can love hahahahaha

Honestly man, I don't know many mothers that could actually love that face. Another reason for pro-choice, even if in this case it's after the birth (or after high school).:horse:

smith&wesson
08-14-2009, 10:42 PM
^^^ OOOOOHHH ***** .... lol :clap:

what54!?
08-14-2009, 10:44 PM
good to see haslem getting love :clap:

johnnychan
08-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Good article

Tom81
08-15-2009, 11:58 AM
good article,i

Jahari Kavi
08-15-2009, 02:25 PM
shane battier has been the best perimeter defender in the NBA for the past 3 or 4 seasons

Joshtd1
08-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Not that he's ever right about anything regarding the Nuggets, but if Rosen was paying better attention he'd have left Dahntay Jones off that list and put K-Mart there in his place. And Anthony Carter is also a superior defender to Dahntay. K-Mart can legitimately guard every position (although he does struggle at times when he's outsized), while Dahntay can legitimately guard one position, point guard, and that's partly because he takes advantage of his size advantage in those matchups while having the athleticism to have good lateral movement to stay in front of his man. But against shooting guards (which is where his defense was usually needed most for Denver), he's really very mediocre.

Agreed.

RollinDeep
08-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Pretty good article, definitely agree with the thing with block

I remember the Lakers broadcasters talking alot about how just altering shots can be better than blocks because of how blocks get back to the team on offense. Unless of course, the blocker has the mindset of just tapping it to his team mate rather than sending it to the 15th row.