PDA

View Full Version : Appreciation Thread: David Stern

TheHoopsProphet
08-14-2009, 05:10 AM
How 'bout a tip of the hat to the commish? Succeeding the legendary Larry O'Brian as the 4th commissioner of the greatest sport known to mankind, the NBA (even the Mayans would agree that watching Michael Jordon shoot game-winners with his legacy on the line is more fun than watching your brother try and knock in a rubber ball into a hoop with his life on the line), David Stern has been nothing short of spectacular. He truly is a golden lion with a mane the Greek God Zeus would envy.

His arrival to the NBA couldn't have been more timely. In 1984, he came into the league, and, not by coincidence, was the year the greatest of all time was drafted, Michael Jordan. The league would change forever. Here you can see him in his first year:

http://rushthecourt.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/david-stern-stache.jpg

Here, at his first draft, being inducted into the throne and shaking the hands of God, David Stern can be seen sporting a stylish blue suit, with a modest yet striking burgundy tie, and a 'stache that only him, Tom Selleck, Ghandi, and Brad Pitt can pull off. They say a picture says a thousand words. Well, with his style, his grace, and his oozing excellence, this picture's thesis states: "Here lies a man with a plan to give Nike the greatest BJ of their life and at the same time retain the dignity it possesses in which a sport like the XFL could never understand."

It's been 25 years since Stern penetrated the eyes, hearts, and very souls of the NBA community. We have seen how important it is to prioritize marketability over anything else, including veracity. We have seen the synthetic ball make a cameo apperance:

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/spalding_cross_traxxion_official_nba_game_ball.jpg

We have seen beloved characters change the meaning of what it means to watch basketball:
http://www.foxnews.com/images/301195/3_62_donaghy_tim.jpg

We have seen David Stern help our children and Mid-Western elders sleep more soundly at night, knowing that the recurring image of a ruthless gangster trespassing our homes, was only a thing of a past, and maybe just a nightmare all together:

http://www.dickinson.edu/dickinsonian/pics/Iverson.jpg

From all of us less-worthy beings and The G.O.A.T. who is currently residing in the downtown streets of Las Vegas (http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/04/dancejordandance.jpg), we would like to THANK YOU. You truly are god's gift to humanity.

If you would like to contribute your favorite David Stern moment, please mention in this thread which memory most warms your heart over the 25 years of blazing glory he has wholly endowed to our society of basketballing.

torontosports10
08-14-2009, 07:49 AM
This one can stay

magichatnumber9
08-14-2009, 08:11 AM
David Stern and his fashion issues. The guy is out of touch and doesn't know how to keep his sport up year round like other sports.

asandhu23
08-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I like the fact that he implemented the plan to introduce NBA to the world and the world to NBA.

DCSportsIsPain
08-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Stern has done some good things for the NBA, but he has also done some awful things.
I can't appreciate the changes Stern has made that have turned the NBA from a team sport into a bunch of one-man shows. And that is the nicest way I can phrase it.

Raoul Duke
08-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks for eliminating defense almost entirely and allowing the refs to decide the outcome of so many games David Stern! YAY!

td0tsfinest
08-14-2009, 11:48 AM
he's my favourite commish of all the major sports.
I hate Gary Bettman.
Baseball doesn't "really" have a commissioner cause Bud Selig might be the biggest idiot in the world.
Roger Goodell is alright too.

pelmen84
08-14-2009, 12:23 PM
1.Creation of WNBA... why?
2. It is all about stats game...
3. Lakers vs Kings playoffs 2002 WCF
4. No more hand checking
5. 3 second rule
6. superstar treatment
7. NBA is a business not sport
8. Creating superstars vs let the stars become superstars

personally i think he is an idiot but people are buying his crap...

king4day
08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
No thanks

grizvictim
08-14-2009, 01:01 PM
David Stern said his biggest mistake was putting a franchise in Vancouver. When Mark Cuban was in Vancouver he was asked what he would have done with a new franchise. He replied, "Have nothing to do with the league office". Instead the owners got Stu Jackson from the league office to be General Manager. The list of errors that led to the demise of the franchise is too long for this forum. How about giant contract for Big Country Reeves or drafting Steve Francis (who refused to come) instead of Lamar Odom (who said he wanted to come). David Stern assisted in the tanking of the franchise even though more fans came to see a terrible team than attended half of the other franchises.

LA_Raiders
08-14-2009, 01:34 PM
lol, appreciation???

DCSportsIsPain
08-14-2009, 01:53 PM
David Stern said his biggest mistake was putting a franchise in Vancouver.

And several other cities. There are too many teams and the talent is spread too thinly. What NBA fan wouldn't rather see half the teams with twice the talent? Stern has made it so that only a small handful of cities have grown in NBA fan numbers, while the majority of teams have lost fans and revenue.

16 loaded teams would be a lot more entertaining than 30 teams with 15 that simply cannot compete and another ten that are also rans after the first round or two of the playoffs. Nobody wants to see the same teams winning every year except the fans of those teams. Stern doesn't get that the majority of NBA fans don't care about New York and Los Angeles because he is too concerned about the media markets.

That's all well and good for a few select teams but does nothing for drawing the interest of new fans or creating reinterest for fans who got bored with Jordans, Kobes, LeBrons, same names and same teams every year. Stern's brand of basketball has caused the fans who became fans in the 1960's and 1970's to largely stop following the game. Now, the fans are dominated by twenty-somethings and teenagers who would rather see one player take 50 shots to score 50 points than to see a game where three or four players have double-doubles.

Stern has killed what basketball is supposed to be for media revenue and ad dollars. If he had a clue, he would have fan dollars, which are obviously far less important to him.

ryanj12344
08-14-2009, 02:09 PM
nice man

Hustla23
08-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Hell no. He ruined basketball with all his unnecessary rules.

Reversed86Curse
08-14-2009, 07:24 PM
joke

ZebraCity916
08-14-2009, 07:33 PM
1.Creation of WNBA... why?
2. It is all about stats game...
3. Lakers vs Kings playoffs 2002 WCF
4. No more hand checking
5. 3 second rule
6. superstar treatment
7. NBA is a business not sport
8. Creating superstars vs let the stars become superstars

personally i think he is an idiot but people are buying his crap...

:clap:

magichatnumber9
08-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Had a chance to fix the officiating last year and blew it. We need a new commish.

DetroitRipCity
08-14-2009, 08:02 PM
thank you David Stern for screwing over teams that deserved to win just so you could put more money in your pocket

Trouble87
08-14-2009, 08:05 PM
this is a joke thread... I would voice my opinion on D. Stern but I refuse to bash him

it would be :horse:

Beno7500
08-15-2009, 12:34 AM
I HATE YOU STERN!! me hatez u

BlondeBomber41
08-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Boo this man! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IAnzQvtw6U)

Beno7500
08-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Boooo

MaHaRaJaH
08-15-2009, 10:16 AM
David Stern and his fashion issues. The guy is out of touch and doesn't know how to keep his sport up year round like other sports.

-- NaS.

MaHaRaJaH
08-15-2009, 10:17 AM
2 Words: Sacramento Kings.

lorenz00
08-15-2009, 03:32 PM
thanks stern LOl