PDA

View Full Version : ...we should just start referring to bad baseball contracts as "Ricciardis."

bluenoserINsd
08-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Not sure if anyone has posted this. SI.com posted an article today on the worst contracts in baseball. Ricciardi is turning the Jays into a laughing stock... infact I laughed quite a bit while reading this article. It's worth a read to fuel more hatred to Ricciardi (if it's possible).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/joe_posnanski/08/12/worst.contracts/1.html

I love how the writer looks at Wells' contract. 'This isn't a baseball contract. This is a testament to the power of mankind to do the impossible.'

miller74
08-13-2009, 01:50 PM
and what if we traded wells for prospects that didnt develop, you would be critizing him for that. He cant win, the only person to blame for the wells contract is Wells.

bluenoserINsd
08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
you can blame it on two people: Wells for underachieving, and Ricciardi for giving him WAY more than he deserved.

B-JAY FAN!
08-13-2009, 02:07 PM
and what if we traded wells for prospects that didnt develop, you would be critizing him for that. He cant win, the only person to blame for the wells contract is Wells.

Yes we would have criticized him for trading wells for prospects that didn't develop because a good GM would receive good prospects in exchanged for one of their players.....instead he decided to hamper the ball club for the next 7 years with a $126 million dollar contract which was an even worse decision...

Jamiecballer
08-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Not sure if anyone has posted this. SI.com posted an article today on the worst contracts in baseball. Ricciardi is turning the Jays into a laughing stock... infact I laughed quite a bit while reading this article. It's worth a read to fuel more hatred to Ricciardi (if it's possible).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/joe_posnanski/08/12/worst.contracts/1.html

I love how the writer looks at Wells' contract. 'This isn't a baseball contract. This is a testament to the power of mankind to do the impossible.'

Hey you stole my line!

statquo
08-13-2009, 02:15 PM
^^thought you were looking for a new team to adopt.

2009mvp
08-13-2009, 03:40 PM

:confused: How does that make any sense? Blame him for not producing, don't blame him for accepting a contract that was offered to him that he was never realistically gonna live up to.

Twitchy
08-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I like Poz a lot but there are much worse contracts than Rios'. There's no mention of Dontrelle Willis, Jeremy Bonderman, Magglio Ordonez, Eric Byrnes, Aaron Rowand... and that's off the top of my head.

Poz is a smart guy but he missed the boat on this one too make a point about Riccardi.

nstojic
08-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Yes we would have criticized him for trading wells for prospects that didn't develop because a good GM would receive good prospects in exchanged for one of their players.....instead he decided to hamper the ball club for the next 7 years with a $126 million dollar contract which was an even worse decision...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bluerapoileagle
08-13-2009, 06:41 PM

Busts happen all the time. Even if a GM trades for prospects that look good at the time, it doesn't mean that they will develop and become stars. It could really happen to any GM.

Zaunnie
08-13-2009, 06:50 PM

So it's Wells' fault for accepting money that was offered to him?

wamco
08-13-2009, 07:03 PM
eh, i think magglio might have been roids and byrnes pulled BOTH hamstrings, gotta be painful.

boms-4
08-13-2009, 07:08 PM
This guy isnt even a real Jays fan.

Twitchy
08-13-2009, 07:43 PM
eh, i think magglio might have been roids and byrnes pulled BOTH hamstrings, gotta be painful.

True as that may be, doesn't the injury excuse than give JP an out for BJ Ryan and his TJ surgery? If you look at the list Ryan is #11 and that's despite him coming off TJ surgery.

I'm in no way defending the Ryan move, but the original author didn't really care if a player was injured or not. That's why I included Byrnes. And it was a pretty stupid deal considering they had an OF of Young, Upton, and some guy named Quentin - who then HAD to be moved because Byrnes blocked his spot.

nstojic
08-13-2009, 08:42 PM
True as that may be, doesn't the injury excuse than give JP an out for BJ Ryan and his TJ surgery?

check...mate....

p.s. twitchy, sig? creppin me oooout...

stiven
08-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Its unfortunate, but kinda true, although i for sure think Zito has to be number 1.

http://baseball.******.com/src_wiretap_archives/16238/20090813/posnanski_wells_has_worst_contract_in_mlb/

Twitchy
08-13-2009, 09:04 PM
check...mate....

p.s. twitchy, sig? creppin me oooout...

It's from The Big Bang theory. Such a funny show.

Zaunnie
08-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother...Twitch my man I love your taste in TV

stiven
08-13-2009, 09:19 PM
two and a half men.. entourage ... and above all the sopranos.. ..

BUT back to the topic at hand

StealingSigns
08-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I love the sig Twitchy, even better than the How I Met Your Mother one.

Zaunnie
08-13-2009, 10:28 PM
I love the sig Twitchy, even better than the How I Met Your Mother one.

nothing. is. better. than. how. i. met. your. mother. it's. LEGEN.WAIT FOR IT.DARY!!!

bomber0104
08-13-2009, 11:10 PM
wow is this guy a Riccardi hater or what... There is no way that Rios' contract is one of the top 10 worst in baseball.

bomber0104
08-13-2009, 11:11 PM

best sitcom on tv

1hardcore
08-13-2009, 11:25 PM

I disagree somewhat..
I think they could've spent that type of money on 1 or 2 key players

And they should've thought about this because even though Halladay at that time was locked up for a multi year deal.... they could've used some of that money as insurance to keep Halladay in Toronto. Now with all that careless spending.... theyre forced to get rid of players.

Billyen
08-14-2009, 08:45 AM
So it's Wells' fault for accepting money that was offered to him?

No, it's his fault for taking the money and not performing even close to a level that he should be.

What's happened in the last month, JP becoming a seller... was large part do to Wells. I'll take that back. It was Wells fault. Our pitching has been decent. Lind, Hill and others have stepped up. If Wells was hitting .300+ , had 20+hrs 70+ RBI's and had a OBP over .300 (sorry, it is over .300 now) We MAY...just MAY have won 10 games more. That would have put us in it.

I hate JP but, Doc, Rolen , Rios aren't JPs fault...it's Wells.

Look at his game logs! Wells needs to take responsibility for what's happened. He needs to think about what HE'S done to the team by taking the money. He needs to know that his contract and poor play has destroyed this team for the next 5 years.

If I signed that deal and played this way...I couldn't look at myself. I'd go to the union and ask if I could re-do the contract. They'd say no but, I'd try. I'd stop making those smart *** comments after every game. I'm put my head down in the clubhouse.

I'm on the other side of the planet and can't get to a game but, I hope he's booed every at for the next 5 years until to plays for what he's paid.

We will find out who Vernon Wells is in a couple years when his out option kicks in. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit .350 & 50HRs that year.

Yes...it's Wells fault...don't you dare defend him.

wowzman
08-14-2009, 01:59 PM
No, it's his fault for taking the money and not performing even close to a level that he should be.

What's happened in the last month, JP becoming a seller... was large part do to Wells. I'll take that back. It was Wells fault. Our pitching has been decent. Lind, Hill and others have stepped up. If Wells was hitting .300+ , had 20+hrs 70+ RBI's and had a OBP over .300 (sorry, it is over .300 now) We MAY...just MAY have won 10 games more. That would have put us in it.

I hate JP but, Doc, Rolen , Rios aren't JPs fault...it's Wells.

Look at his game logs! Wells needs to take responsibility for what's happened. He needs to think about what HE'S done to the team by taking the money. He needs to know that his contract and poor play has destroyed this team for the next 5 years.

If I signed that deal and played this way...I couldn't look at myself. I'd go to the union and ask if I could re-do the contract. They'd say no but, I'd try. I'd stop making those smart *** comments after every game. I'm put my head down in the clubhouse.

I'm on the other side of the planet and can't get to a game but, I hope he's booed every at for the next 5 years until to plays for what he's paid.

We will find out who Vernon Wells is in a couple years when his out option kicks in. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit .350 & 50HRs that year.

Another article postulating that Wells, does indeed, suck.

http://www.battersbox.ca/article.php?story=20090812201238177

"So there you have it folks: Vernon Wells, (second) least valuable every day player in the majors. And hey, he's only being paid a bajillion (or 85 or whatever) million dollars more."

At least he is not the worst. :speechless:

Big Hurt
08-14-2009, 02:17 PM
I like Poz a lot but there are much worse contracts than Rios'. There's no mention of Dontrelle Willis, Jeremy Bonderman, Magglio Ordonez, Eric Byrnes, Aaron Rowand... and that's off the top of my head.

Poz is a smart guy but he missed the boat on this one too make a point about Riccardi.

He mentioned both Rowland and Byrnes in the article.
The link took you to page 2.
He bashes JP even some more on page 1.

Funny thing is now that JP has made a lot of mistakes on the Jays nickle, I think he has been an OK GM the last couple of years.
His moves are fine, it is those damn contracts where he thinks he has to over pay guys to play in Canada!

ChongInc.
08-14-2009, 02:48 PM
did anyone read page one?
riccardi is a bum

Big Hurt
08-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Its unfortunate, but kinda true, although i for sure think Zito has to be number 1.

http://baseball.******.com/src_wiretap_archives/16238/20090813/posnanski_wells_has_worst_contract_in_mlb/

I would take Zito for Wells and throw you something extra too...ANYDAY!!!

wamco
08-14-2009, 03:12 PM
When signing wells to that contract, he was vernon wells, not carlos delgado. Go look at his stats, really, before signing that contract and ask yourself if the contract makes sense.

If Wells was hitting .300+ , had 20+hrs 70+ RBI's and had a OBP over .300 (sorry, it is over .300 now) We MAY...just MAY have won 10 games more. That would have put us in it.

Can you show the formula you used to come up with this? It is clearly just you talking out of your ***.

The Analyst
08-14-2009, 03:21 PM

If Vernon Wells turns down that contract or opts out and leaves $63 million on the table, that will officially make him the stupidest person in the world - far more stupid than the people who offered it to him.

Hate him for his play on the field, but you have to respect him due to the fact that someone agree to pay him $126 million.

2009mvp
08-14-2009, 03:24 PM
When signing wells to that contract, he was vernon wells, not carlos delgado. Go look at his stats, really, before signing that contract and ask yourself if the contract makes sense.

If Wells was hitting .300+ , had 20+hrs 70+ RBI's and had a OBP over .300 (sorry, it is over .300 now) We MAY...just MAY have won 10 games more. That would have put us in it.

Can you show the formula you used to come up with this? It is clearly just you talking out of your ***.
10 games? That's crazy talk.

wamco
08-14-2009, 04:39 PM

best sitcom on tv

actually, it sucks and will be cancelled soon.

The byrnes contract WAS in the acticle actually. 5 years to a reliever is unexcusable.

nithanyo
08-14-2009, 04:59 PM
If Vernon Wells turns down that contract or opts out and leaves $63 million on the table, that will officially make him the stupidest person in the world - far more stupid than the people who offered it to him.

Hate him for his play on the field, but you have to respect him due to the fact that someone agree to pay him $126 million.

I dont blame him one bit. If someone was offering me a truck load of money id take it. It doesnt make sense for people to blame the guy for taking the money

Twitchy
08-14-2009, 05:26 PM

best sitcom on tv

actually, it sucks and will be cancelled soon.

The byrnes contract WAS in the acticle actually. 5 years to a reliever is unexcusable.

Actually, the Big Bang has been renewed for 2 years.

I know the Byrnes deal was mentioned, but it wasn't in the top 10 list. Which is where it should have been.

Third, I know the 5 year deal to BJ was inexcusable. The point is you said Byrnes contract should be excluded because of injuries, and by the same logic so should BJ's. Can't exclude Byrnes for the injury and then blame BJ for TJ. BJ's contract deserves to be in the top 10 list without a doubt though.

And the Byrnes deal made about as much sense as the Guillen deal considering Arizona had an OF of Justin Upton, Chris Young & Carlos Quentin. You don't extend the worst OF of the group to a multi year deal, especially on a low payroll.

donatolla
08-15-2009, 09:38 PM

10 is a bit of an exaggeration...but worthy to look at. If the Wells that signed the Contract is around 5 wins above replacement, and the current Wells is -1 WAR, then we might just be a few wins better with a better Wells.

herMiz06
08-18-2009, 01:27 AM

You fail.

wamco
08-22-2009, 07:52 AM
The point is you said Byrnes contract should be excluded because of injuries,

No I didn't.