PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Tyler opts out of Senior Year of High School; Goes Pro In Europe

td0tsfinest
08-13-2009, 12:21 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2009650356_apbkotylermaccabihaifa.html

Jeremy Tyler completed his jump from high school underclassman to pro basketball player on Wednesday when he signed a one-year, $140,000 contract with Maccabi Haifa of the Israeli Premier League

Tyler, 18, is the first American-born player to leave high school early to play basketball professionally overseas. The 6-foot-11, 260-pound Tyler announced in the spring that he was skipping his senior season at San Diego High because prep basketball had become boring.

In early May, Tyler told The AP that he was tired of facing triple-teams, being hacked and being limited to playing the middle when he felt he had much more to his game.

Jeremy Tyler is a top 5 prospect in the 2011 nba draft, as projected by most mock draft websites.

How will this pan out for the nba? Last year, Brandon Jennings opted out of college to play ball in europe.

Are more kids going to follow Jennings and Tylers route? And is it the right route to take, instead of going playing the NCAA?

clutchski
08-13-2009, 12:31 PM
wow he wont even have a high school diploma..

arkanian215
08-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I hope he fails. What better than a kid who can't play ball and doesnt have a high school diploma?

NYtilIdie
08-13-2009, 12:56 PM
oh well at least hes getting paid a decent amount of money

if he fails, he fails oh well. Gets his GED and goes on with his life

ttam68
08-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Good for him, **** the age limit.

If I'm 18 and my options are to make what would be a damn good salary for an adult after college and live the dream playing basketball while focusing entirely on my own improvement, or do some book reports, I think I'll take the pro track.

Not to mention all the NCAA schools that just use the kids for profit.

Burkey3472
08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Can he be drafted in the 2010 draft now, isn't the rule 1 year out of high school and you can get drafted.

I'd rather see players go to college, just because us as fans get to see them more. Good luck to him though.

Hellcrooner
08-13-2009, 01:26 PM
actuay what surprises me is there arent more parents of 14 years older cheking to sen their taletned children to a school in europe where their kid enters a pro teams youth scheme so they combine AMERICAN AThleticism with european fundamentals .

Imagine lebrorn or howard went to europe and was tought since being 14 in the fundamentals Peja, Pau or Dirk have , added to their natural athelticism.

what54!?
08-13-2009, 01:28 PM
He should have at least got his GED......best of luck to him

prs
08-13-2009, 01:34 PM
If I was obviously tremendously talented in High School and I had my mind set on making the NBA then I think Europe would be the better choice.

In Europe you would be a pro player making salary and you would have no obligations other than basketball. You could focus on improving more and you would be playing teams equal or better than NCAA teams.

Not to mention you wouldn't have to deal with being a minicelebrity on a campus. I'm sure its great sometimes for college athletes but I could see it getting very annoying and distracting too.

Netslunatic76
08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
First of all I would have finished high school. After that with the choice of playing in Europe and being paid or being broke for one year of college, I'd choose Europe. Most of these guys don't finish college anyway so why waste a year at college when they can be getting paid to play ball which is their ultimate goal? They get the experience of playing pro ball, getting to travel, and experience other cultures. Being away from home could also make them grow up. We all know maturity is a problem for some of the players in the NBA.

tbo41fan
08-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Hope he fails...Kids underestimate the importance of that diploma and he will too if his basketball career blows up in his face...

Trouble87
08-13-2009, 01:54 PM
this is getting ridiculous, whats going to stop countless others from doing what he did?

even if he does well, they wont all do good... this might get really bad

28+24+5=3champs
08-13-2009, 02:00 PM
hoping this kid fails is kind of immature. personally i would rather go to college because i think college basketball and march madness is the best sports season ever.
i dont know where this kid came from or his background. let him get paid.
lets be honest he will probably come out as a better all around player after a year in europe than he would have become in another year dominating inferior high schoolers

IBleedPurple
08-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Honestly he could get his diploma in 2 months if he ends up failing. High school basketbal is a joke in most areas, and I'm sure he got tired of playing in ridiculous circumstances.

He will get paid big money to play basketball and focus on his game. Not his book report, not his science project, just basketball.

I didn't used to be a fan of kids coming out early, but with all the college restrictions, and the bad influences in high school & college....this may be the best thing for this kid.

PBG
08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
actuay what surprises me is there arent more parents of 14 years older cheking to sen their taletned children to a school in europe where their kid enters a pro teams youth scheme so they combine AMERICAN AThleticism with european fundamentals .

Imagine lebrorn or howard went to europe and was tought since being 14 in the fundamentals Peja, Pau or Dirk have , added to their natural athelticism.

:clap:

Raph12
08-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Can he be drafted in the 2010 draft now, isn't the rule 1 year out of high school and you can get drafted.

I'd rather see players go to college, just because us as fans get to see them more. Good luck to him though.

yup Rubio is 18 right now and he was the #5 pick in the draft, whether he plays in the NBA this season is still unknown, due to having a 2nd year on his contract, but this shouldn't be the case with Jeremy Tyler, since he is only on a one-year contract

Hellcrooner
08-13-2009, 02:15 PM
by the way if he is going to a tea in a big city like madrid, barcelona, milan, roma, athens or istanbul there are bilingual HS there that teachin english too.

so im sure he will get his diploma.

dre1990
08-13-2009, 02:18 PM
old news

td0tsfinest
08-13-2009, 02:18 PM
by the way if he is going to a tea in a big city like madrid, barcelona, milan, roma, athens or istanbul there are bilingual HS there that teachin english too.

so im sure he will get his diploma.

he's going to Haifa, in Israel.

Draco
08-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Not to get too off topic.

Anyone heard of Dwayne Richardson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mczhEGRybGQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYO6clJxKf4
http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=FIN&PlayerID=20866

Hellcrooner
08-13-2009, 02:28 PM
haifa he will not have many problems finding a school.

ony problem is he will be populr

a popular AMERICan

palestininas hate americans beacause they always aley with Israel in the conflict.

so there is a risk mofo terrorists would target him.....

NastyRud
08-13-2009, 02:28 PM

Nope, the rule is you can enter the Draft one year after your Graduating Class. So even though he leaves school one year early he still has to wait until one year after his class graduates.

ElMarroAfamado
08-13-2009, 02:31 PM
I hope he fails. What better than a kid who can't play ball and doesnt have a high school diploma?

wow thats the biggest hater statement i have read all year

NastyRud
08-13-2009, 02:32 PM
BTW - the poll doesn't reflect this thread. This kid still had one year left in HS. He didn't choose European Ball over NCAA. He choose Europe over HS.

king4day
08-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Sounds like his parents raised him well. They should be proud of their high school dropout

Raidaz4Life
08-13-2009, 02:47 PM
what a moron

Hellcrooner
08-13-2009, 02:56 PM
moron?

the LEAST he will get paid will be like 250000 EurOS for this year

TAX FREE the team pays the taxes snd he gets the 250 k

thatts 350000 dollars.

even if he does not have an ilustrous career.

how much time does a university graduate need to make that amount of monwy working?

blazerman
08-13-2009, 02:57 PM
For a high school drop out to make that kinda loot is pretty rare unless your dealing drugs.

I would like to know what his parents think of this. I dont know anything about him and his family but it makes me wonder if someone in his family has major medical needs or has he been left to fend for himself for the most part because his parents are dope fiends or just greedy, so I dont want to hammer on his parents for allowing this until I know what is the main reason behind this.

I have no problem with a guy wanting to go to Europe and enjoy a different culture and play some high level talent instead of being flatbroke for a yr in college but if he flops then he's just another dumb*** high school drop out.

He probably isnt booksmart and wouldnt have graduated anyway and wouldnt have gotten into college and if that is the case I wouldnt want any part of him as a player for the Blazers because he would be motivated solely my money and with a proven lack of effort on putting the work in first (lack of desire and focus in the classroom usually follows in everything else). In my opinion not being able to pull a 2.0 gpa in high school is mostly because of lack of desire and just plain lazy. People with learning disabilities can be accomadated and more often than not graduate with help and wouldnt abandon HS because they know they will need the acedemic edge even more so than a learning disability free person so I think I can eliminate that one.

I have a feelings he's just a greedy kid that is lazy and unmotived when it comes to education and will be dead broke as soon as he gets a dime because he will most certainly try to impress his friends and probably willl have a hard time distinguishing between a 1 dollar bill and a hundred.

ttam68
08-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Theres nothing greedy about it.

If you can sit in English class or make $200,000 which are you going to do? And his long-term career may benefit from the extra time, training, and experience he gains.

AntiG
08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I'd go to Europe. You get paid very well for however many years and live it up over there.

Spending one year in college and then leaving for the NBA without a diploma is not only a poor financial decision, but a waste of your time. Now going to college and finishing your diploma, that would be worth it, but that doesn't seem to be the goal of these kids.

blazerman
08-13-2009, 03:13 PM
I think he's the next Billy Madison

(dropout who goes back to HS at 30 yrs of age in the Adam Sandler movie)

He will probably be giving his money away left and right because he's probably too stupid to learn the exchange rate. Also he's already 18 yrs old and isnt even a senior so he's undoubtedly failed in one yr and was held back and for those of you that want to say you can be 18 and be a senior yes thats true but not 19yrs old like he would be during the yr and at five is when you start kindergarten not 6yrs.

He's a **** but will be getting paid nicely though

blazerman
08-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Theres nothing greedy about it.

If you can sit in English class or make $200,000 which are you going to do? And his long-term career may benefit from the extra time, training, and experience he gains.

Who cares if its an English,German or a Candian classroom that couple hundred thousand isnt nothing in the long term and that's only for a yr, if this kid doesnt pan out then will be qualified for these professions:

A fulltime burger flipper with regular OT = 20,000 a yr
Gas pumper or cashier = same as above
Plasma donator = maybe 20 or 30 dollars a visit
telemarketer = not sure if those clowns even make a dime
valet attendant= probably has it's good days with tips 30,000 tops
Panhandling or holding a sign near a freeway on/off ramp = (this is probably his best option if people can understand all the mispelled words on his sign)

Theres no gaurantees this kid will successful, it's one thing if you have a basic education but this guy wont even have that and is putting a paycheck ahead of everything else.

This isnt a prediction this is a guaranteed fact= he will be dead broke and a total bust in 3yrs and he will have no reasonble job prospects other than those stated above!

Dude cant even wait til he finishes HS, there's something wrong there.

LA_cabals
08-13-2009, 03:56 PM
First of all I would have finished high school. After that with the choice of playing in Europe and being paid or being broke for one year of college, I'd choose Europe. Most of these guys don't finish college anyway so why waste a year at college when they can be getting paid to play ball which is their ultimate goal? They get the experience of playing pro ball, getting to travel, and experience other cultures. Being away from home could also make them grow up. We all know maturity is a problem for some of the players in the NBA.

Well said.. I agree.

Hellcrooner
08-13-2009, 03:59 PM
dudes do you know he can finish his studies in eruope while he plays?

ever heard of interchange studentes┐

i studied one year of hs in england

b_rad23
08-13-2009, 04:06 PM
IMO great idea...

Worst comes to worst he can go get his GED and head over to the local CC.

td0tsfinest
08-13-2009, 04:10 PM
BTW - the poll doesn't reflect this thread. This kid still had one year left in HS. He didn't choose European Ball over NCAA. He choose Europe over HS.

wouldn't that be NCAA ball as well.
If he stayed his final year of HS, then what? he'd probably go to college or Europe.

I honestly think what he's doing is a mistake. To forgo HS, and to go to Europe.
You got one year left of HS, which is the greatest year of grade school, you can at least wait one more year before going pro. And in that time you can get a diploma and prepare yourself a little more.

Things didn't pan out for Brandon Jennings the way he wanted them to. He almost fell out of the lottery.

Hellcrooner
08-13-2009, 04:13 PM
thinks ddint work out for jennings because he is a **** and didnt learn anything from the experience.

unwantedplayer
08-13-2009, 04:19 PM
high risk high reward

blazerman
08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
thinks ddint work out for jennings because he is a **** and didnt learn anything from the experience.

And an even more uneducated guy will do better and magically learn from his experience, not happening!

td0tsfinest
08-13-2009, 04:20 PM

how do you know if this guy isn't a ****?
he sure looks like it. plus there was more hype surrounding Jennings.

D1JM
08-13-2009, 04:39 PM
whats the difference from a guy that skips college to a guy that stays in college one year, basically nothing. So i guess Lebron is a ****** for not going to college, and lets not forget to add Kobe to that list.

1st to 3rd
08-13-2009, 04:59 PM
If I had a ton of basketball talent I would go to a college, get with every girl there and then go pro. That's the American way.