PDA

View Full Version : Who got the better ex-Piston, Spurs or Celtics?

Chronz
08-13-2009, 02:50 AM
Reason I ask is because no subject is more divided on among the stat geeks I know. And personally both make great points.

On 1 hand, the conventional stats all point towards McDyess being the better player, hes much more efficient and on a team where neither are going to take alot of shots, making the ones you get matters. Plus hes a force on the boards, and provides his team extra possessions. It really is a no brainer if you go by traditional offensive stats.

Sheed however has excelled in the intangible oriented stats like Adjusted +/-, Defensive RTG/WinScores mostly the defensive stats, regularly rates as the teams best and most important defender, throughout his career actually. Its interesting to see such a discreptancy between 2 players who actually share so much of their floor time with each other. Breaking down their lineups every time Sheed wasnt on the floor with McDyess the teams defense sank. Sheed with the same rotation fared much better. The fact that his Ajd.+/- rose eliminates the possibility that the opposition wasnt quite as strong. This isnt no 1 year fluke either, hes been this valuable defensively for quite some time.

But that was for that Pistons team, both will be more effective defensively on the teams they are joining. Making it harder to predict Sheeds impact for the C's defensively but if he doesnt decline much, this could be similar to how he fortified Detroits D when he first joined them.

Basically it comes down to an offense vs defense thing. And which team could use the help more.

So who got the better player?

Trouble87
08-13-2009, 02:57 AM
neither... I always thought when Okur left them back in the day, it would hurt them in the long run

Jazz got the better ex-piston

ZebraCity916
08-13-2009, 05:31 AM
Celtics

CELTICS4LYFE
08-13-2009, 09:24 AM
celtics sheed>mcdyess all day

Azetti33
08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Your asking about 2 players whos combined age is almost 69. FYI. Either way both of them might have one more "productive" season in them. I say Boston but even then, Wallace might hurt in a few more ways then you might think.

king4day
08-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Celtics.
With the Knicks a close second :D

DCSportsIsPain
08-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Both teams got a relative geezer who should be relegated to backup minutes at this juncture of their respective careers. Good thing all McDyess has to do is stand there because his knees are shot. Sheed will just stand at the 3 point line and hope his defender follows him out, as he has always done. I don't think either is anything to write home about, but Wallace will have more opportunity to contribute and therefore Boston got the better player between the two.

JordansBulls
08-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Spurs because Mcdyess will start.

LanceUpperCut
08-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Both sucked last year but if Wallace is'nt a douch he is the better pick up.

DetroitRipCity
08-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Both sucked last year but if Wallace is'nt a douch he is the better pick up.

Dyess averaged 9.6 points and 9.8 boards

Raoul Duke
08-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Boston, because they're adding one of the best and most knowledgeable defensive bigs in the league to the league's best defense.

They're both great pick-ups though.

Joshtd1
08-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Im hoping it will be Dice.

Raph12
08-13-2009, 02:23 PM
McDyess is a class act and a solid role player who will show up every night, whereas Sheed despite being more talented is ill-mannered, inconsistant, lazy and he complains about any call against him or his team. But with that being said, every Celtic is a prick and every Spur is a class act so both should fit in nicely, both perfect pickups for their respective teams, it's a tie.

CraigtheSoxFan
08-13-2009, 02:32 PM
sheed because hes an allstar and he wants to win

Missing56&33
08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Boston...Sheed is a great pickup to replace James Posey...the guy they desperately needed last year.

b_rad23
08-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Celtics

Chronz
08-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Interesting mix of analysis, Im still stumped. If you had to put money on either of these guys declining sooner, who would it be?

AntiG
08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Spurs because Mcdyess will start.

I'd say that'd mean the Celtics got the better deal and player...

Celtics got the Pistons' starter to be their 6th man, which means Perk is spelled when he's in foul trouble and KG gets lots more rest this season and will be fresh when the playoffs come.

Spurs got the Pistons' 6th man to be their starter.

Sheed was the starter over McDyess.

Sheed has basically always been better than McDyess as an overall player.

Neither team got a bad deal though. The Celtics were actually hoping to sign both players, as both are top of the line role players.

Basketballguy87
08-13-2009, 04:05 PM
To many ego's on the celtics, McDyess is a solid player I go with San Antonio.

op12
08-13-2009, 04:36 PM
sheed can still be a top scorer and can spread the d. if motivated he is also a better rebounder and on d. but this is debatable because you never know which sheed will show up. i say sheed but in no way is that saying mcdyess wasnt an excellent pick up for the spurs.

Tdots-Guido
08-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Nuggets lol! Seriously though Sheeed!

heyman321
08-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Pistons! LOL. Ben Wallace.

But really, Celtics. Like before, someone said the Celtics got a starter to be their sixth man.

blazerman
08-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Both players are entering the twilight of their careers and niether will have a big impact.

They're both role players and not valid 1/2/3 options on offense anymore but on the bright side they dont have to be on the Celtics or Spurs. One thing that keeps getting hyped up is by both teams fans is how they are the answer at ctr, that is a joke.

I know both can play ctr but are nothing more than average at best at that position but both can still be effective as backups at PF.

Both players also could still be somewhat effective if used correctly for another 3/4 yrs, they would be old but they're capable.

Rasheed has a much better chance to get to the finals again, Spurs have been getting love all summer for picking up a wing player in RJ and older and average at best ctr in McDyess and an unproven injury prone short PF in Blair and a yr older Duncan and Ginobili, Way over rated and they will be about the same as last yr.

Joshtd1
08-13-2009, 05:12 PM
^^Which would be tied for 2nd best in the Western Conference, even though all of the big 3 were injured and missed time.

Not sure why you dont think the Spurs adding more offense and rebounding/toughness isnt going to help us get better, when none of the other teams besides the Mavs and Blazers really upgraded..who we both finished ahead of in the standings.

Joshtd1
08-13-2009, 05:14 PM
For the record, I would rather the Spurs have landed Sheed...but either way, both players were going to start for us no matter what. I think McDyess will be great in our system, since he is a pick and pop player which Pop loves.

ManRam
08-13-2009, 05:17 PM
I think both were great pickups. McDyess has long been one of the most underrated players in the game. Very solid player. Sheed had a down year...but I see him bouncing back now that he's back on a contender.

Both will help a lot.

StevenU2009
08-13-2009, 05:26 PM
'Sheed-by A LOT-not a little. No offense to McDyess-a pros pro to be sure-but rasheed is a game changer and maybe a conference power structure changer.
1 Boston
2 Orlando
3 Cleveland
4 Atlanta
And the rest? Who cares.

Basketballguy87
08-13-2009, 05:33 PM
'Sheed-by A LOT-not a little:laugh:. No offense to McDyess-a pros pro to be sure-but rasheed is a game changer and maybe a conference power structure changer:laugh:.
1 Boston
2 Orlando
3 Cleveland
4 Atlanta
And the rest? Who cares.

Someone sure has had alot to drink LOL!

boms-4
08-13-2009, 06:24 PM
i am going with Wallace. Will make a great defensive presents

Toenail Clipper
08-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Neither.
The Nuggets has the best ex-piston today.
:D !!!!

GspLAL
08-13-2009, 07:12 PM
McDyess is a class act and a solid role player who will show up every night, whereas Sheed despite being more talented is ill-mannered, inconsistant, lazy and he complains about any call against him or his team. But with that being said, every Celtic is a prick and every Spur is a class act so both should fit in nicely, both perfect pickups for their respective teams, it's a tie.

lol? outta no where

j-bay
08-13-2009, 07:16 PM
celts

JWO35
08-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Utah Jazz, they pretty much stole Okur from us after '04..

ChaseMe
08-14-2009, 12:23 AM
The Denver Nuggets.