PDA

View Full Version : Rasual Butler traded to the Clippers

Vinny642
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Rasual was traded today to the Clippers for a conditional second round pick.

Its was a salary dump, that makes me think something interesting will happen.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2009/08/new_orleans_hornets_trading_g.html

tland22
08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
hmmmm interesting news! But im not too excited about this....because he is a GREAT backup SG in this league. The good news is that Marcus might be starting now! Or maybe Mo Pete might start now? I dont know...

Im not too sure how I feel about a second round pick...i like that its a second round pick from the Clippers though... lets all pray they have the worst record in the league so that we can get nearly a 1st rounder...but I am happy about getting draft picks...future building is good.

tland22
08-12-2009, 02:03 PM
oh its a conditional second rounder...damn they gave him away for practically NOTHING. But I cant complain at saving the 4 million dollars as well..that is a good move.

and damn i just thought of this.... maybe we r going after Allen Iverson? We supposedly need a two now? hmmmm

i was starting to really like Butler...he was finally coming into his own. Oh well, I hope this does good for us in some way I cant see

Vinny642
08-12-2009, 02:03 PM
I heard that this is a move the will be followed by an even bigger move to help our team.
I rly dont want Mo Pete starting. Hope Wright and Thorton battle it out or something.

tland22
08-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Actually becuz of luxury tax this will save us 8 million dollars... so this was an even better financial move then I thought.

I hope u r right that a bigger move is up next, but I doubt that Vinny. I think we r gunna be thrilled at saving money.

Yea Mo Pete, Juju, and Marcus all should get more playing time now...

Vinny642
08-12-2009, 02:21 PM
I hope im right too

Patrick Swayze
08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
This is so stupid. Butler on a salary dump? Are you kidding me? Why not crappy Morris Peterson?

Vinny642
08-12-2009, 02:40 PM
This is so stupid. Butler on a salary dump? Are you kidding me? Why not crappy Morris Peterson?

No one wants Mo Pete

ballpd05
08-12-2009, 02:50 PM
I heard that this is a move the will be followed by an even bigger move to help our team.
I rly dont want Mo Pete starting. Hope Wright and Thorton battle it out or something.

If it stays this way mo will start. He is a better defender than rasual and is a spot up shooter with decent accuracy. Marcus will prbly be our Jason Terry so I doubt he starts even if he is better, unless we struggle. Julian will prbly be locked at a 3-4 spot.

cro_2pac
08-12-2009, 03:09 PM
interesing, but rasual started to play, damnnn...maybe AI is comin who knows...8 million bucks saved...

BIGBREED
08-12-2009, 03:11 PM
If it stays this way mo will start. He is a better defender than rasual and is a spot up shooter with decent accuracy. Marcus will prbly be our Jason Terry so I doubt he starts even if he is better, unless we struggle. Julian will prbly be locked at a 3-4 spot.

Agreed...

Its all about Defense and Money(S&S = Scott and Shinn)Scott for the defense and Shinn for the money, S&S baby...

BIGBREED
08-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I thought that Rasual Butler was in the last year of a $3.94 Mil. contract.
How does that save us $8 Million?

Patrick Swayze
08-12-2009, 03:17 PM

That's the way it sounds too. There is no way we can have Mo Pete starting. We will be in trouble. I'm hoping this shows how weel Marcus is doing and he maybe starts. Or maybe Peja is healthy and that will help move Wright down as the starting shooting guard.

interesing, but rasual started to play, damnnn...maybe AI is comin who knows...8 million bucks saved...

I can dig AI coming to New Orleans.

Patrick Swayze
08-12-2009, 03:17 PM
No one wants Mo Pete

I don't blame them.

spacemandave
08-12-2009, 03:33 PM
what could they give up to make a trade for a sg? understand the move, let juju and thornton get some minutes. whats peja gonna be like next year? a lot of q's now, butler was solid.

BIGBREED
If Marcus Thornton can get it together on the defensive end, I would love for him to start.

Hey guys, check out my lil cousin SF- Deron Washington. He was drafted by Detroit last year but didn't make the team. He's trying to make the Piston's roster this year. Check out his highlights on youtube. He's a highlight waiting to happen! he went to Virginia Tech

Patrick Swayze
"Due to the depth we have, it will allow us to open up minutes and opportunities for Julian Wright, Morris Peterson and rookie Marcus Thornton, all of whom we anticipate great contributions from this season."

From the sounds of that, we aren't going after anyone. Opens up minutes for Mo Pete, ha. Unbelievable. I'm counting on Thornton to break out like we all think he will.

spacemandave
08-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Start the season already!!!!!

ballpd05
08-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Our sg situation needs a major upgrade. A salary dump needs to be Antonio Daniels.

tland22
08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
I thought that Rasual Butler was in the last year of a $3.94 Mil. contract.
How does that save us $8 Million?

luxury tax on every dollar over... 3.95 million times 2 is nearly 8 million

Lo Porto
08-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Great salary move for the Hornets. Losing Butler will hurt, but shedding $8 million is worth it.

Somebody mentioned that a bigger deal is on the way, but I couldn't imagine what that would be. Paul, West, Okafor, Posey, Armstrong and the rookies should stay. I really doubt anybody trades for Peja, MoPete, Daniels, or any other.

BIGBREED
08-12-2009, 09:36 PM
luxury tax on every dollar over... 3.95 million times 2 is nearly 8 million

Ok, cool.....Thanks

tland22
08-13-2009, 12:13 AM
No problem!

Im so curious to see how Mo and Marcus play next year... we have an awful lot riding on their play.

tland22
08-13-2009, 01:13 AM
LOLOL i just found out the "conditional" pick is for a 2016 second rounder LOLOL

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hI2d_Fixu95bLmhKBl58-nMD409QD9A1MPK00

Clippers got a STEAL. 2016 second rounder?! R u kidding me? Should have atleast asked for a new washing machine and dryer, and some extra cash for new uni's and a few cases of beer.

Im mad now. We r never gunna see this pick

tland22
08-13-2009, 01:23 AM
K, some gathered thoughts:

I kinda saw this coming but a little bit different, because I thought we'd package a deal with Butler/Daniels/Armstrong...or some combination of them.

Jeff Bower said: “Today’s move allows us to increase our financial flexibility while at the same time gives us an opportunity to improve at that position.”

What is our financial situation now? Do we have room to make a move at the 2 or is he referring to our current bench getting minutes? Almost sounds like we may shed one more then add another peice...not sure though. Stay with me..

So, the Hornets save around $1 million in the Okafor dea (Plus 1million more because we over the luxury tax)l, then make this move to save another $4 million. Add the Luxury tax to that, and the Hornets saved themselves $10 million this offseason, and haven't had to take significant steps backwards...atleast in MY OPINION. Thoughts? For that alone you have to appreciate Bower a little bit. Keep in mind that the Hornets still have the same starting rotation from our best season ever 56 wins and that 2 seed. Except we added Okafor, who can and will do what Tyson has been doing atleast.

We're still well over the cap at about 73 million in salary. To get under the tax line, we'll have to shed Antonio Daniels as well. Or something worth atleast another 4 million. I believe 4 million would send us under the luxury tax threshold.

Over the past week Bower has re-iterated that George Shinn has authorized them to spend over the tax, but he hasn't said how much. So this could get us to the number he was supposed to reach - which means he hopes Peterson, Wright, or Thornton give us good minutes at the two - or he could be considering bringing in someone else at the two. Hmmm its interesting. Vinny might be on to something. Maybe we ahve another move in store. Whether we do it now or later before the trade deadline is yet to see. Maybe we take on TMAC's contract or something...LOL who knows. (I wish)

There really aren't, however, many players left worthy of a starting role as a shooting guard. At least none I'd rather have around more than seeing what Wright or Thornton can do. I think we all agree on that.

Oh - and despite what a lot of people say, Peja Stojakovic at the 2 isn't some terrible disaster. Guarding a wing player is guarding a wing player. I could dig a Okafor/West/Wright/Stojakovic/Paul line up, with Posey coming in for Wright for half the game to stretch the floor.

Mckphins
08-13-2009, 04:53 AM
LOLOL i just found out the "conditional" pick is for a 2016 second rounder LOLOL

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hI2d_Fixu95bLmhKBl58-nMD409QD9A1MPK00

Clippers got a STEAL. 2016 second rounder?! R u kidding me? Should have atleast asked for a new washing machine and dryer, and some extra cash for new uni's and a few cases of beer.

Oooooh must be a good draft class in 2016 lol

ballpd05
08-13-2009, 09:48 AM

And it's conditional lol meaning if the clippers are good we might not get that one. But butler wasn't lighting the worl on fire and never really. When I was a ballboy from 03-05 for the hornets we were doing shooting drills and thinking he is pure, why the heat don't put him in. Then he vanished
last year I found out we had him.

and when mo was starting we had our best year ever so I don't think it's too bad. And it save the Hornets almost ten mil. Find a way to give Antonio Daniels away (maybe for someone decent or just a cash dump) and we would have a decent offseason

Vinny642
08-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Yea if we get Daniels out and bring someone in or something we'll be good, i dont see Wright as a SG but maybe. Alot of our success will be on how Mo pete plays if he starts and Peja

Patrick Swayze
08-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Oh - and despite what a lot of people say, Peja Stojakovic at the 2 isn't some terrible disaster. Guarding a wing player is guarding a wing player. I could dig a Okafor/West/Wright/Stojakovic/Paul line up, with Posey coming in for Wright for half the game to stretch the floor.

I've got no problem with Peja starting at the SG. The only problem is that if he is healthy.

Patrick Swayze
08-14-2009, 03:53 PM
So if this was a salary dump, why in the ***** did the Hornets give them money as well?

ballpd05
08-14-2009, 09:37 PM
To pay the clippers to take him. Usually it's to help ease any extra cost that taking the traded player would have.

saintdrew
08-15-2009, 02:41 AM
i think it's a sensational move of the hornets. we don't need butler anymore considering we have thornton, d.brown, and we can play peja or julian at the 2 spot if we need to. i'm a huge fan of this trade, and hopefully we can move morris peterson out of town.

pg-cp3
sg-peja
sf-j. wright
pf-d.west
c-okafor

can't stop us with that starting 5. we gotta get julian more minutes!!!

Patrick Swayze
08-15-2009, 02:09 PM
i think it's a sensational move of the hornets. we don't need butler anymore considering we have thornton, d.brown, and we can play peja or julian at the 2 spot if we need to. i'm a huge fan of this trade, and hopefully we can move morris peterson out of town.

pg-cp3
sg-peja
sf-j. wright
pf-d.west
c-okafor

can't stop us with that starting 5. we gotta get julian more minutes!!!

We don't need Butler anymore since we have Devin Brown? Lol, what? Do you see something in Brown that no one else see's.

Lions #81
08-18-2009, 11:12 AM
i think AI would be a good fit with u guys

spacemandave
08-19-2009, 10:06 PM
peja is too slow to defend a sf so def cant do it at sg...hope thornton is the stud everyone thinks he is, if not mo pete was solid enough 2 years ago, maybe he aint done yet.

Patrick Swayze
08-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Chris Paul said how disappointed he is that the Hornets traded Butler. I don't blame him.

Sports Illustrator
08-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I still don't understand this trade for the New Orleans Hornets to be honest. Its not like Rasual Butler has a ridiculous contract either. He was actually a productive player for this team.

Vinny642
08-26-2009, 07:10 PM
I still don't understand this trade for the New Orleans Hornets to be honest. Its not like Rasual Butler has a ridiculous contract either. He was actually a productive player for this team.

Our GM got more minutes for Peterson, Thorton and Wright.

Its their time to shine. i understand this 100%

Sports Illustrator
08-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Our GM got more minutes for Peterson, Thorton and Wright.

Its their time to shine. i understand this 100%

I don't think that is the case. Morris Peterson doesn't really need any more minutes enough to make the Hornets make the type of trade they did to get rid of Rasual Butler who was a productive player on a title contending team. Morris Peterson isn't even that young, the guy is 32 years old.

Thornton and Wright can still get their share of minutes even if it cuts down Rasual Butler's minutes. This team isn't on rebuilding mode. Your goal is to win the title, not to develop young players.

Vinny642
08-26-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't think that is the case. Morris Peterson doesn't really need any more minutes enough to make the Hornets make the type of trade they did to get rid of Rasual Butler who was a productive player on a title contending team. Morris Peterson isn't even that young, the guy is 32 years old.

Thornton and Wright can still get their share of minutes even if it cuts down Rasual Butler's minutes. This team isn't on rebuilding mode. Your goal is to win the title, not to develop young players.

it is the case, our GM already said it. Im fine if our team is how it is right now. Of course i'd like a move to make us better but losing Butler isn't that bad.

Sports Illustrator
08-28-2009, 02:50 PM
it is the case, our GM already said it. Im fine if our team is how it is right now. Of course i'd like a move to make us better but losing Butler isn't that bad.

He may say it, but not that its necessarily true. It has more to do with something bad happening behind the scenes that the fans do not know about. You don't trade one of your most productive bench players like the Hornets just did. When you have a title contending team like the Hornets, it is always very wise to deepen your bench as much as possible for several reasons.

Losing Rasual Butler isn't the end of the world for the Hornets, but at the same time it is one less productive player in your bench.

Vinny642
08-29-2009, 12:40 AM
He may say it, but not that its necessarily true. It has more to do with something bad happening behind the scenes that the fans do not know about. You don't trade one of your most productive bench players like the Hornets just did. When you have a title contending team like the Hornets, it is always very wise to deepen your bench as much as possible for several reasons.

Losing Rasual Butler isn't the end of the world for the Hornets, but at the same time it is one less productive player in your bench.

He sucked *** when he was on the bench and did decent starting.

When he played the whole year on the bench when Mo Pete started the year we won 56 Games, Butler was terrible. Then he got his time to shine last year and did decent. So what im saying is he wasn't productive on the bench. Because you said it is one less productive bench player.

Patrick Swayze
08-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Peterson doesn't need more minutes. I'm expecting to see Marcus Thornton as the starter.

Vinny642
08-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Eventually but not the first day, sadly

tland22
08-30-2009, 02:37 AM
we should just get Steph Jackson and let him play SG... our line-up would be a FORCE!

oh, and 1,000th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick Swayze
08-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Eventually but not the first day, sadly

With what we got now, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts. I'm taking him as a starter over Peterson. I'd like to see Wright start, but I see him as the starter at SF over Peja. If Peja doesn't stay healthy then that would leave Thornton as the best case scenario as the starter.

we should just get Steph Jackson and let him play SG... our line-up would be a FORCE!

I was going to start a thread on Stephen Jackson as a Hornet, but I had a feeling it would go the wrong way. Jackson would be a great addition to the team obviously. He can start at either SG or SF giving us a lot of options. I don't know if we have what it takes to trade for him, but the thought of it sounds sexy.

ballpd05
08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
I agree that Rasual Butler wasn't that productive compared to Mo. He is a little bit younger, longer, and has a better looking shooting stroke (plus a number of buzzer beaters, some of which looked like pure luchk). In essence though they are both relatively unathletic spot up shooters who don't make huge contributions to the offense unless someone sets them up for a decent look. And if you look at it while Rasual's averages were a little higher, Mo's shooting percentages were better when he was the starter.

If we could find a way to get Captain Jack without losing CP3, D West, or Okafor that would make the Hornets something serious.

Patrick Swayze
08-31-2009, 04:04 PM
I agree that Rasual Butler wasn't that productive compared to Mo. He is a little bit younger, longer, and has a better looking shooting stroke (plus a number of buzzer beaters, some of which looked like pure luchk). In essence though they are both relatively unathletic spot up shooters who don't make huge contributions to the offense unless someone sets them up for a decent look. And if you look at it while Rasual's averages were a little higher, Mo's shooting percentages were better when he was the starter.

If we could find a way to get Captain Jack without losing CP3, D West, or Okafor that would make the Hornets something serious.

I'm not even worried about losing any of them in any trade right now especially for Jackson. I don't see us trading for him, but i guess you never know. Bower has surprised me a lot already this season.