PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper Team In The East?

Lakers4ItAll
08-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Everyone is saying ORL/CLE/BOS are the top 3 teams in the East (in no particular order) without a doubt right?

Well say Boston doesn't stay healthy, Orlando losing Hedo and tarding for VC doesn't work out, or Shaq going to Cle doesn't help who's the 1 team you think that could possibly be in the top 3 in the East and why?

B.JenningsMVP
08-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Knicks

Lakerfrk
08-11-2009, 04:16 PM
My sleeper team is Washington...

Getting Arenas back, Caron hopefully healthy, and adding Randy Foye and Mike Miller could make them the 4th best team in the East... and put them in the top 3 if others are affected by injuries...

of course... Washington will have to stay healthy too... and good luck there..

Rockets Fanatic
08-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Toronto if they live up to there potential
-Derozan 13-15 ppg
-Bargnani-Do what he did last year
-Turkoglu meshes well like he did in ORL
-Bosh and Calderon do what they do

Lakers4ItAll
08-11-2009, 04:20 PM
I say it's between Toronto and Atlanta. If Miami or Chicago ends up getting Boozer then they will be right up there.

ManRam
08-11-2009, 04:20 PM
"tarding for VC"...LOL.

I guess it's the Wizards. I've never ever been on their bandwagon, and don't ever want to be on it. I hate Arenas, and think he's extremely overrated, even when healthy, but the Miller and Foye acquisitions will help. I love Butler. Jamison is a solid player.

I don't see any of the other teams really challenging. Wade's cast isn't good enough and he's no LeBron. Toronto has a very solid team, but isn't quite at the top 3's level. Chicago took a step back losing BG. Detroit got better...but they were awful last year. Philly could be a dark horse team, if Brand is healthy, and plays like he can.

So Washington and Philly I guess...if I had to pick.

Lakers4ItAll
08-11-2009, 04:24 PM
"tarding for VC"...LOL.

I guess it's the Wizards. I've never ever been on their bandwagon, and don't ever want to be on it. I hate Arenas, and think he's extremely overrated, even when healthy, but the Miller and Foye acquisitions will help. I love Butler. Jamison is a solid player.

I don't see any of the other teams really challenging. Wade's cast isn't good enough and he's no LeBron. Toronto has a very solid team, but isn't quite at the top 3's level. Chicago took a step back losing BG. Detroit got better...but they were awful last year. Philly could be a dark horse team, if Brand is healthy, and plays like he can.
So Washington and Philly I guess...if I had to pick.

Ha! Oops...

They lost Andre Miller without him I don't see them even making the playoffs.

tbo41fan
08-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Bulls could surprise but idk about top 3...

KnicksR4Real
08-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Knicks

Yeah Son You Say That Right

You be illin

Lakers4ItAll
08-11-2009, 04:34 PM

You be illin

Is this english?

lorenz00
08-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Toronto if they live up to there potential
-Derozan 13-15 ppg
-Bargnani-Do what he did last year
-Turkoglu meshes well like he did in ORL
-Bosh and Calderon do what they do

cant agree more!

IversonIsKrazy
08-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Raptors!!! :D

North Yorker
08-11-2009, 05:11 PM

You be illin

Is this english?

It's French... in Russian, actually.

unk88
08-11-2009, 05:19 PM
its between Washington or raps

ramz.n
08-11-2009, 05:20 PM
raptors...they stole turk...added a combo guard in jack...did the undo able in trading kapono for a player who can rebound and brings toughness in evans..brought back rasho..

ManRam
08-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Ha! Oops...

They lost Andre Miller without him I don't see them even making the playoffs.

True...forgot about that. Valid point.

op12
08-11-2009, 05:26 PM

Getting Arenas back, Caron hopefully healthy, and adding Randy Foye and Mike Miller could make them the 4th best team in the East... and put them in the top 3 if others are affected by injuries...

agreed. also depending on any heat moves maybe them as well.

J_M_B
08-11-2009, 05:54 PM
If I had to choose it'll probably be the Washington Wizards.

They will have a healthy Gilbert Arenas to go along with Caron Butler and Antwan Jamison. The additions of Randy Foye and Mike Miller will help. They have depth at each position.

They have to stay healthy of course, but if they can they can definitely be a top 4 team in the East.

MackSnackWrap
08-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Raptors or even Washington if healthy

Jays Claw
08-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Sleepers In The East

1.) The Toronto Raptors could surprise a lot of people and sneak up on the big three of the east. The team needs to be more consistent and play very good defense. Players like Andrea Bargnani, Chris Bosh, Hedo Turkoglu and Jose Calderon need to be the primary leaders of this team. Andrea Bargnani needs to be ready to take his game to the next level and Chris Bosh absolutely needs to have a monster year if he wants that max contract.

2.) The Atlanta Hawks brought back Mike Bibby and are in good shape to get into the playoffs for the third straight year. However, for that to happen the team needs solid and productive years from Joe Johnson and Josh Smith. The expectations for the Hawks are very high so they need to perform under pressure with ease.

3.) The Philadelphia 76ers need to dip into free agency or explore the trade market and acquire a solid point guard. Elton Brand needs to stay healthy and return to his dominant form of 2006. Players like Andre Iguodala, Jason Kapono, Louis Williams, Thaddeus Young and Marreese Speights need to take their games to the next level in order for them to be anywhere near the top five.

4.) The Washington Wizards need to stay healthy period. The team will be relying heavily on Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison, Mike Miller and Randy Foye to carry the team into the playoffs. JaVale McGee also needs to come off the bench and be a solid contributor for the 2009-2010 Washington Wizards.

5.) The Chicago Bulls took a huge step back after losing Ben Gordon to the Detroit Pistons. Luol Deng needs to return to the solid and productive Luol Deng and Joakim Noah has to continue to grow into a complete player. The Bulls also face a humongous question; Can Derrick Rose lead the team into the playoffs at the tender age of 20?

Honorable Mention: The Miami Heat need to go and get a better supporting cast for Dwayne Wade. What Dwayne Wade did late last season was incredible, but what are the odds he can repeat what he did for a whole 82 game season? Michael Beasley needs to live up to his pick and potential or else he will be labeled as a bust by many.

slaker619
08-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Toranto And Miami

GAWDtv
08-11-2009, 06:16 PM

Ya health being the #1 factor, if one team pushes a top 3 down it will be WAS in my opinion as well. Flip Saunders is a big chip too.

AK23
08-11-2009, 06:16 PM
magic

what54!?
08-11-2009, 06:18 PM
the only sleeper team I got are the wizards. Fully healthy and with they could do something

SeoulBeatz
08-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm not saying top 4 seed, but don't sleep on my Sixers. Many of you guys are counting them out of the playoffs (understandably) but i think they could easily slip into the playoffs for the following reasons.

We have Eddie Jordan as our new coach. Last year we had Tony Dileo (ever heard of him) and he didn't run any plays. Jordan now has offensive sets for us to run and he will help include Elton Brand in the Princeton Offense which revolves around the PF.

Elton Brand is back and has been training in L.A with Paul Pierce to get his game back to where it needs to be. This team went all of last year without a lowpost presence and Brand is Mr.20-10.

Andre Miller is gone, but it was his time as he was becoming a liability on defense and his poor decision making on offense. Lou Williams is in his 5th year and ready to step in. He's only 22 years old and ready to take the reigns.

Andre Iguodala stepped up in the playoffs hitting game winners and averaging 23,7,7, on 45% fg, and 40% 3pt against the eventual Eastern Conference champs Magic. It was no fluke, he was incredibly clutch all year its just u guys didnt notice because we were a mediocre team.

Thaddeus Young averaged 22 and 8 in the last 20 games of the season before spraining his ankle just before the playoffs. He is also only 20 years old and will improve by the season.

We have youth on our bench in Marreese Speights (21 years old), Jrue Holiday (19), Jason Smith (22) who are all big role players ready to come in and help this athletic team.

We got Jason Kapono (tied for highest 3pt% in NBA history with Kerr) to help spread the floor, a trait we desperately needed last year.

If Sammy D gets his head out of his *** he could provide solid Defense for us and help our big rotation.

PG: Lou Williams/ Jrue Holiday/ Royal Ivey
SG: Andre Iguodala/ Willie Green/ Dionte Christmas
SF: Thaddeus Young/ Jason Kapono
PF: Elton Brand/ Marreese Speights
C: Samuel Dalembert/ Jason Smith/ Primo Brezec

i dunno, if we play to our potential we should be in the playoffs no doubt in my mind.

once again, WE ARE NOT CONTENDERS, but i think the Sixers should be getting a little more respect.

I don't stutter when I say we have the most athletic team in the NBA...

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5456448/14360987

if all fails at least we'll be fun to watch :)

fresh prince
08-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Raps Wizards or Bulls could all make a big jump

ya_boi
08-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Chicago Bulls with the fourth seed.

mdabstar
08-11-2009, 06:58 PM
the raptors are a sleeper. everyones counting them out, but again the raps have to play consistent ball not like last year when they were also chosen as sleepers.

mdabstar
08-11-2009, 06:59 PM
magic

how can they be a sleeper when they are one of the favourites to win the east?

Lakers4ItAll
08-11-2009, 06:59 PM
How can anyone pick the Bulls with the lineup they have right now? They lost Ben Gordon who was there 2nd best player and go to guy and haven't done anything to replace him. If anything the Bulls might miss the playoffs as they are now

stuiehanski
08-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Bucks. There are a lot of ifs, but if Redd n Bogut stay healthy, like they were at the beginning, and keep Sessions, they could be there. They've added big guys, defense, rebounding. Hopefully they can still score the ball with Redd shooting, Bogut down low, and Sessions slashing to the hoop

Lakers4ItAll
08-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Bucks. There are a lot of ifs, but if Redd n Bogut stay healthy, like they were at the beginning, and keep Sessions, they could be there. They've added big guys, defense, rebounding. Hopefully they can still score the ball with Redd shooting, Bogut down low, and Sessions slashing to the hoop

I forgot the Bucks were even still in the league.......

mdabstar
08-11-2009, 07:23 PM
How can anyone pick the Bulls with the lineup they have right now? They lost Ben Gordon who was there 2nd best player and go to guy and haven't done anything to replace him. If anything the Bulls might miss the playoffs as they are now

i agree with you bro. they are so overrated. derrick rose hasnt proven nothing yet. last year rose played well because of gordon.

Tdots-Guido
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I would love to see the Raptors successful this season! But i also don't understand why the Wizards are not being mentioned as much. Agent 0 is deadly when healthy and the hiring of Coach Saunders is very big as well. With the addition of Foye and Miller watch out for the Wizards!

bigsams50
08-11-2009, 07:27 PM
The Wiz or Raps

disk 8
08-11-2009, 07:50 PM
I think ATL is still the 4th seed in the east they got there whole team coming back and added crawford.

shas
08-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto

tarheelman73
08-11-2009, 08:28 PM
ok im not picking them in the top 3 or 5, but my darkhorse pick is the bobcats, i think they will finally make the playoffs this year. adding chandler was a good move, but one thing is sure they cant do worse. i think jordan and brown have put together a good nucleus in charlotte, if they can solidify the shooting guard position, who knows what could happen. i feel the bobcats will definetly be contenders in the next 2-3 yrs.

uncleben989
08-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Wizards/Raptors/Knicks

b_rad23
08-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Wiz (huge talent, top 6 team)
Hawks (were #4 and just got better, should be great)
Raptors (could be middle seed, late seed, or lotto)
Bobcats (potentially could sneak into the playoffs)
Heat (if by sleeper you mean middle seed with potential to upset)

rapswin98
08-12-2009, 01:05 AM
Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto :)

MajorFloridaFan
08-12-2009, 02:30 AM
Toronto

blastmasta26
08-12-2009, 02:54 AM
You really think the Bucks are even gonna make the playoffs? :eyebrow: They lost Villanueva and Richard Jefferson for almost nothing. And they might lose Sessions as well.

My sleeper pick would be the Heat if they get Boozer or Beasley significantly improves. The Hawks also could go far.

Reddd
08-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Wiz or Toronto

Mr.ATLHawks
08-12-2009, 07:42 AM
The Hawks have to be the no brainer here. They were a 4th seed last year, resigned everyone important and added more scoring punch off the bench with Crawford and Teague. Another year of the core all playing together should be fun to watch.

Toronto would be my backup choice with the additions of Jack and Turkoglu

Not sold on the Wizards I see alot of scorers (Arenas, Miller, Jamison, Butler) but no defense and no floor general. They will put up lots of points but lets face it in the East you have to play to D to win games, ask D'Antoni how well trying to outscore your opponet worked out last year.

Bulls didnt get a lick better..I like the draft picks with James Johnson but will take time to develop

Sixers didnt do much to improve and I wouldnt bank on Brand ever being healthy again. You have also got some issues at the point as Lou Williams(ATL Native) is not a PG, and Dalembert lets face it has received a**load of criticism this offseason from his coach and organization.

Miami, while Wade is spectacular, will still be at the bottom of the power chart b/c they lack a 2nd, 3rd scoring option. Beasley should be better, but bringing him off the bench IMO is hurting his progression. They must find a way to start this guy...

DCSportsIsPain
08-12-2009, 10:22 AM
The Hawks have to be the no brainer here. They were a 4th seed last year, resigned everyone important and added more scoring punch off the bench with Crawford and Teague. Another year of the core all playing together should be fun to watch.

A team that finished in the top half of the conference standings the previous season is a contender, not a sleeper. :)