PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Blair: Chasing Alex (out of town)

nstojic
08-11-2009, 03:18 PM
man o man, everything i keep hearing the last few days has me so depressed to be a jays fan... blair was on fan590 today.. said that the mood in the clubhouse is non-existent and that guys were oblivious to rios leaving... a very defeated bunch of guys, indeed...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/chasing-alex-out-of-town/article1247424/

Because know this: However team owner Rogers Communications Inc. is going to spin the fact that it gave away Rios to the Chicago White Sox for no compensation, it now seems as if the Blue Jays are back where they were in the bad old days of Interbrew’s absentee ownership. :mad:

More telling than the need for flexibility was Ricciardi’s comment before the game, when he was asked, theoretically, if he would be able to take whatever savings he could squeeze and roll it back into the payroll for 2010.

“I don’t even want to comment on it,” he said.

There are only two reasons to make a deal like the one that went down with Rios yesterday: either to put the savings back into payroll as part of a plan to contend during a window of opportunity or to get a team ready to sell.

And as long as Rogers continues to have a team run by an interim president/chief executive officer, with a GM who has another year left on his contract but who made the kind of move usually made by GMs about to lose their job, the uncertainty will linger.

mad_mooney
08-11-2009, 03:57 PM
totally depressing.

They're clearly not in a rebuilding mode....they're in a tear-down and give-up mode.

Ricciardi has to know he's on the way out so his motivations are not the best interest of the team right now.

the team's being run by bean-counters and ego-maniacs...not a good combo.

ah nuts
08-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I going to make my own optimistic theory.

The jays won't comment on the money because right not they don't plan to spend it next season. They, as well as me, do not believe they can complete with the yanks and the sox. Their rookie pitchers(and Snider and Dopirak?) need more time. And maybe even Marcum.

However in 2011, they will have a better idea how the young will preform, and if it all good they will spend to add the pieces.

nstojic
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
What i still don't understand is why i've heard beeston, on several occasions, say that the money's there for a 120mil payroll IF we were close to contending... i swear i've heard it directly from him in interviews...

Big Hurt
08-11-2009, 05:15 PM

The jays won't comment on the money because right not they don't plan to spend it next season. They, as well as me, do not believe they can complete with the yanks and the sox. Their rookie pitchers(and Snider and Dopirak?) need more time. And maybe even Marcum.

However in 2011, they will have a better idea how the young will preform, and if it all good they will spend to add the pieces.

Well with that optimistic attitude we can stop watching baseball for the rest of this year and next.
And when Roy leaves in 2011 to free agency....we can get younger again.

The unfortunate reality in baseball in the American League East is that you are always going to be spending less than the Yanks and Sox.
Tampa Bay looks like they should be good at least for a few years, and Baltimore is on the rise too with their young talent.
So if you just throw in the towl you will come back in 2011 fighting for 3rd again.

And Beeston saying there is money to $120 million if the team is close to contending.....well getting rid of their better players should make Beeston happy that he will not have to go to ownership to add salary in the future because they are close!

Rogi10
08-11-2009, 05:25 PM

more time?? the team this year has rookies come up and pitch, what is it 5 rookie starters?? and what have they done? *Hint* 7th in the MLB in ERA 5th in quality starts and in the top 10 in various other categories. All with a pitching staff made up of rookies...

Snider is tearing up triple AAA. He has a .1055 ( or something like that) OPS.

Toronto, has an expected win loss record of 60 - 51. They have lost a lot of 1-run games, that if went the other way, we're looking at wildcard potential.

The team is not as bad as people think...

wamco
08-11-2009, 06:00 PM
If the money ISN'T reinvested into the team, it is pretty hard to get excited about this move.

mad_mooney
08-11-2009, 06:01 PM
more time?? the team this year has rookies come up and pitch, what is it 5 rookie starters?? and what have they done? *Hint* 7th in the MLB in ERA 5th in quality starts and in the top 10 in various other categories. All with a pitching staff made up of rookies...

Toronto, has an expected win loss record of 60 - 51. They have lost a lot of 1-run games, that if went the other way, we're looking at wildcard potential.

As fas as potential is concerned, I think this team does have some talent and they're not that bad.

However, the winning attitude starts from the top and flows down to the field. And right now, with JP obviously dumping money in the Rios and Rolen situations and his attempted dump of Doc and his ridiculously careless comments in the media and the leaks and JP's public feuds with players (Hudson, Dunn, etc), they're basically giving the guys on the field solid kicks to the cahones on a regular basis.

I remember during the 91-93 seasons, when things were going great, I heard about how Beeston and Gillick were routinely coming to the clubhouse and attending practices, making the rounds with the players and developing real relationships with them.....and it showed. When they hit the field, they played hard and won.

Its gotta be hard to get really up for the game under these circumstances.

nstojic
08-11-2009, 06:09 PM
As fas as potential is concerned, I think this team does have some talent and they're not that bad.

However, the winning attitude starts from the top and flows down to the field. And right now, with JP obviously dumping money in the Rios and Rolen situations and his attempted dump of Doc and his ridiculously careless comments in the media and the leaks and JP's public feuds with players (Hudson, Dunn, etc), they're basically giving the guys on the field solid kicks to the cahones on a regular basis.

I remember during the 91-93 seasons, when things were going great, I heard about how Beeston and Gillick were routinely coming to the clubhouse and attending practices, making the rounds with the players and developing real relationships with them.....and it showed. When they hit the field, they played hard and won.

Its gotta be hard to get really up for the game under these circumstances.

and during this weekend... any interview done with a player from the championship teams, i always heard about how all the guys cared for and liked one another..and they would always be hanging out together... don't see that in any sport as much, nowadays...

ah nuts
08-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Well with that optimistic attitude we can stop watching baseball for the rest of this year and next.
And when Roy leaves in 2011 to free agency....we can get younger again.

The unfortunate reality in baseball in the American League East is that you are always going to be spending less than the Yanks and Sox.
Tampa Bay looks like they should be good at least for a few years, and Baltimore is on the rise too with their young talent.
So if you just throw in the towl you will come back in 2011 fighting for 3rd again.

And Beeston saying there is money to $120 million if the team is close to contending.....well getting rid of their better players should make Beeston happy that he will not have to go to ownership to add salary in the future because they are close!

not me, I'm a baseball fan.

King Carlos
08-11-2009, 09:28 PM

No, it's not, but with the Rolen and Rios moves, we HAVE gotten worse, but at least with the Rolen move we got a couple of nice pieces for the future.

At the beggining of this year this team was in a REALLY good position, they had a great mix of young and old players, and due to injuries we have had more rookies come up and prove they can pitch at this level, and with Marcum, maybe McGowan and Litsch coming back in '10, and the fact that Snider and Arencibia are just a ways away from coming up and making an impact alongside Lind, Hill, Rios, Rolen, Overbay, and Scutaro, this team looked poised to contend in 2010, but now with two of those pieces gone, and the overwhelming sense that ownership is giving up and will give up even more pieces to cut payroll, any hope for contending in the near future is gone, it is a sad time to be a Jays fan right now, I will never give up though.

ah nuts
08-11-2009, 09:30 PM

remember the jays have to be great in this division.

I'm not pleased with the situation but I have nothing bad to jays about the jays organization - what you can't say about the yanks and sox are guilty of.

. they committed $$$ to young all stars (overbay, Rios, Wells, HILL) like any other team would do.

. they spent big $$$ and took big risks trying to bring and keep talent here in TO; Bj, AJ, and Thomas(4th in MVP voting that year).

. they lost 4/5 of their projected starting staff (M & M, Litsch, Jansen) so I'm not going to whine that they are not in the playoffs.

from what went wrong or didn't work out for the jays, from all the $$$ they wasted on the risks they took - for the fans - excuse me if I don't blame the jays for passing on the risk that Rios will turn it around for the next 5 years. I won't , especially for some med talent prospect - which, IMO, is all they would have got over the winter with his contract.

sorry for all the underlines. I'm frustrated.

nstojic
08-11-2009, 09:36 PM
^^ i gotta say... outside of his complete lack of articulation, JP is a solid GM..:hide:

He's made some mistakes.. every GM has... but the 'good' he's done, outweighs the 'bad'....

IMO, one glaring mistake of his: should've traded AJ last year... we were going nowhere + we knew he wasn't coming back... could've got something, anything! who knows.. maybe the pick we got(Paxton) turns into something worthwhile and then this move doesn't seem so bad down the road...

marcre
08-11-2009, 09:41 PM
sorry to be so blunt, but people that think just giving away Rios was a good move are crazy. This team has no plan, and tryst me, they will not put that money towards anything else in the off-season. It is cut payroll time and we might as well thank Baltimore for keeping the cellar warm for us because we're about to take up residence there for the foreseeable future.

Rios wasn't pulling his weight offensively, but what he did give us will be missed. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so. The post-season just got further away for us.

Another thing, it's clear that all the players on this team hate JP. He needs to go for that reason alone. Sorry, but this team is a lot worse than people think.

Bluerapoileagle
08-11-2009, 09:45 PM
The thing is, if they're gonna wait until 2011 to spend the money, why release him now when he's got no value???

Mile High Champ
08-12-2009, 12:42 AM
not me, I'm a baseball fan.

There is a lot of other baseball you can watch and enjoy. This would save you from pouring money into an ownership that sply lost it's way.

Canadian hemi
08-12-2009, 09:30 AM
remember the jays have to be great in this division.

I'm not pleased with the situation but I have nothing bad to jays about the jays organization - what you can't say about the yanks and sox are guilty of.

. they committed $$$ to young all stars (overbay, Rios, Wells, HILL) like any other team would do.

. they spent big $$$ and took big risks trying to bring and keep talent here in TO; Bj, AJ, and Thomas(4th in MVP voting that year).

. they lost 4/5 of their projected starting staff (M & M, Litsch, Jansen) so I'm not going to whine that they are not in the playoffs.

from what went wrong or didn't work out for the jays, from all the $$$ they wasted on the risks they took - for the fans - excuse me if I don't blame the jays for passing on the risk that Rios will turn it around for the next 5 years. I won't , especially for some med talent prospect - which, IMO, is all they would have got over the winter with his contract.

sorry for all the underlines. I'm frustrated.

Couldn't say it (type it) better than that!!!!