PDA

View Full Version : OT: How long will the NBA last?

JordansBulls
08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
OT: How long will the NBA last?

It came into existence pretty much a few years after WWII and has existed for around 60 years or so.

Will it last another 100 years or is that stretching it?

king4day
08-11-2009, 01:03 PM
The only way it doesn't exist anymore is if it's simply merged into a World Sport where just the name changes.
If the NHL and all its problems, didn't fold, then the NBA is going to be around probably forever.
There will always be 'the next big thing', and as long as there's that, then there's money to be had.

B.JenningsMVP
08-11-2009, 01:14 PM
ya

Raps18-19 Champ
08-11-2009, 01:21 PM
MLB has been around for like 130 years and so we have a lot of time.

Wilson
08-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Can't predict the future...

rabzouz 96
08-11-2009, 01:29 PM
bout tree fiddy

Hellcrooner
08-11-2009, 01:34 PM
It will last a long time unless :

1 basket becomes more and more popular to the level that they could at least draw 50% of the interest soccer gets here in europe.

If that happened i can see a Nba like european league being created and since here in europe theres no draft, no cap, no matchin salarysm no max salarys and no ****, only Money all the good players could migrate to this new league.

Just conisder this, Lakers or Knicks have a 90 million dollar budget.
Barcelona and Real Madrid SOCCER teams have aprox a 700 million dollar budget (REal has just spent 400 M dollars in new players) If they destined 150 millon to the basketball teams they ahve they coudl double the money Lebron or Kobe make in Nba.

2 Some new generation of Airplanes make feasable that you can fly from New York to TOky in 3 hours.
Then most probably a WORLD league ruled by Nba including their biggest market teams, Knicks, bulls, Lakers would come to life.

ShaunRiching9
08-11-2009, 01:50 PM
It will end in 2012 when the rest of the world does:D

dolfan720
08-11-2009, 01:51 PM
forever!!!!!!!!!

DCSportsIsPain
08-11-2009, 01:53 PM
It will be around in some form, but the next ******** like David Stern will make the game even less recognizable than what it used to be. Maybe we can genetically engineer players in the future since the way the game is going, players will have to be seven footers to play point guard in the next 20 years.

Raph12
08-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Can't really tell with all the terrorist attacks so far, say the US Men's National Ball team's plane is destroyed with all the favs in it (Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Melo, CP3, D-Will, D12, etc...) in these hard times the NBA may have to pack it up for a while due to lack of revenue or maybe sign a bunch of Euro studs

HuRRiCaNeS324
08-11-2009, 02:08 PM
As long as im alive....

JWO35
08-11-2009, 02:08 PM

Oh Yeah, I forgot about that...thanks for reminding me :sad2:

Unruly Fan
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
I believe the NBA will be around just at long as basketballs around
and basketball is forever!

RiLoc
08-11-2009, 03:35 PM
I think the longevity of leagues such as NBA, MLB, NFL and the NHL has been significantly increased by the increase of media during the last 40-50 years. Barring catastrophe, I could honestly see these leagues staying in existence for a very very long time.

I think what will be interesting is how the current state of the NBA will be viewed upon in 100 years. I think the athleticism and scouting in the NBA, NFL and MLB has increased to the point that the gameplay is viewed as superior to that of a few generations ago. It will be interesting to see how much it changes in the future.

Vidball
08-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Until Armageddon :D

mdabstar
08-11-2009, 03:43 PM
dont see it going away any time soon, but i cant predict the future so who knows...

LanceUpperCut
08-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Until super aids kill us all.

johnnychan
08-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Giver or take a few, 358 years.

Skeeter91
08-11-2009, 04:21 PM
December 21,2012

GCOOKIE7
08-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Until global warming kills us all.

ManRam
08-11-2009, 04:23 PM
How is a thread about how long the NBA will last off-topic???

It's the most marketable sport. You have mega-super-stars who can bring in loads of money. They don't hide behind masks...and they mostly all speak English (not being ignorant...it's a factor). The NBA will last for at least 50-100 more years. Basketball as a whole...centuries.

But then again...who actually knows? Anyone's guess is as good as min.

lorenz00
08-11-2009, 04:26 PM
forever! amen

Lakerfrk
08-11-2009, 04:41 PM
bout tree fiddy

lockness?!!?

jimbobjarree
08-11-2009, 04:46 PM
bout tree fiddy

Yes!

TheHoopsProphet
08-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Can't really tell with all the terrorist attacks so far, say the US Men's National Ball team's plane is destroyed with all the favs in it (Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Melo, CP3, D-Will, D12, etc...) in these hard times the NBA may have to pack it up for a while due to lack of revenue or maybe sign a bunch of Euro studs

so let me get this straight, the only PLAUSIBLE way you see the NBA franchise ceasing to exist for all eternity is if Dwight Howard and Lebron are in the same airplane which is attacked by "terrorists" who perhaps loathe nothing more in this world than the sport of basketball, causing the rest of the NBA to lose money because teams like the Houston Rockets, who have none of those superstars on their roster, will not want to play anymore, and that feeling will resonate throughout the entire league, where franchises and GMs and players and agents just eventually quit the sport.

Wilson
08-11-2009, 05:30 PM
so let me get this straight, the only PLAUSIBLE way you see the NBA franchise ceasing to exist for all eternity is if Dwight Howard and Lebron are in the same airplane which is attacked by "terrorists" who perhaps loathe nothing more in this world than the sport of basketball, causing the rest of the NBA to lose money because teams like the Houston Rockets, who have none of those superstars on their roster, will not want to play anymore, and that feeling will resonate throughout the entire league, where franchises and GMs and players and agents just eventually quit the sport.

No...what he meant was that if the 15 best NBA players are killed, then ratings would go down, as would profits...

Obviously serious fans wouldn't stop watching, but many fair-weather fans might...

TheMicrowave
08-11-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't know any facts about this, but I think it is true.

Basketball is becoming more and more popular worldwide and slightly less popular in America.

I think it'll last awhile. New big things keep coming. NBA will go worldwide if it starts to fall big time? I don't know.

rabzouz 96
08-11-2009, 06:34 PM
No...what he meant was that if the 15 best NBA players are killed, then ratings would go down, as would profits...

Obviously serious fans wouldn't stop watching, but many fair-weather fans might...

yeah the nba should hire an anti-terror unit to guard all airplanes with stars in. the danger of terror attacks is so threatening, especially for nba team planes.

rabzouz 96
08-11-2009, 06:34 PM
lockness?!!?

lolwut?

heattiltheend94
08-11-2009, 06:36 PM
WEll it's not like the football game in the hockey rink because that closed down, but this had tens of millions views, there ain't no way this will end in the next 100 yrs

aussiepiston
08-11-2009, 06:42 PM
bout tree fiddy

we better get our *** to the bookie

GAWDtv
08-11-2009, 07:00 PM
It could end as early as 2011. If the NBA has a lockout, that extends or drags out, I see China and Europe taking advantage. With the globalization of the game and the major $$$ in TV broadcasting & Advertising rights on the line I see the Chinese gouvernment offering the top American players competitive and/or better contracts to whoo them away. I'm sure many wouldn't care to live in China therefore the mid-class players will play in Europe. Once they get there and experience the European Athletes lifestyle, the NBA will have trouble getting them back. What's better, living in Utah for 8 months or Paris for 6 half the games, no back to backs and more money???

If that doesn't happen the NBA will end Dec. 12 2012 along with the rest of thew world.

GCOOKIE7
08-11-2009, 08:51 PM

The Knicks would be just fine tho. They don't have a top 15 player... hell, the top 30 or so players can die on their way to the all star game and the Knicks could maybe win the 'Ship!!!

Er1c
08-11-2009, 08:54 PM
til the world ends

asandhu23
08-11-2009, 09:26 PM
lockness?!!?

Loch Ness monster has nothing to do with this thread

ko8e24
08-11-2009, 11:11 PM

:pity:

Hellcrooner
08-11-2009, 11:54 PM
if the 15 best players crashed in an airplan all nba woudl need would be espn nike gatorade and so on to ype up another 15 players thats it.

and 90%of the fans specially the youngest woul bit into it.

TheHoopsProphet
08-12-2009, 01:19 AM

I understood well what he said, as implied in my post. First of all, he thinks the most likely scenario is terrorists are going to attack the superstars of the game while theyre all in an airplane at once. Lets assume for a second, that superstars ride with each other on airplanes all the time. Now lets assume these terrorists are perhaps Reebok-shoe-lovers, and these superstars in the airplane are all sponsored by Nike or Adidas. Ok, theyre dead. Suddenly, the NBA will start collapsing? Sure, they'll lose some money in the short-term. But new stars will emerge (Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, Brandon Roy, OJ Mayo, etc) that are all very marketable. Franchises like the Lakers, Knicks, Heat, Celtics, Pistons, 76ers, Bulls will draw fans no matter what. Teams like the Rockets, Warriors, Timberwolves, Thunder, Kings, Hawks, Bucks, Pacers, dont even have superstars on their roster, so this Reebok-endorsed tragedy wouldn't even affect their revenue, in fact, it may increase it. Basketball players are always being drafted EVERY YEAR who change franchises around. Lebron isn't the first superstar to hit the NBA, and he won't be the last.

MajorFloridaFan
08-12-2009, 02:27 AM
forever

theimortalone
08-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Hopefully forever. But according to the Mayans... 2012? :shrug: j/k I don't believe it.

J-Relo
08-12-2009, 03:40 AM
till basketball lasts... name can change, it might become a league all over the world...

Earmuffed1
08-12-2009, 03:41 AM
barring 2012 be the end of everything the nba has awhile. i will say this though, i think we forget that until the 80's it was not an overwhelmingly popular sport, it peaked with jordan and i think has been going and will continue to go downhill for awhile, until teams become good again, right now players run the league and the good teams are very slim which will always decrease interest across the board. you have to measure a sport by it's regular season interest, right now the nba is a playoff only sport. it's third behind football and baseball.

zambo4president
08-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Until the day comes that no one can stop Derrick Rose and everyone just quits. So within 3 years.

zambo4president
08-12-2009, 04:28 AM
bout tree fiddy

:laugh: :laugh: Im dieing right now

TheWaterboy
08-12-2009, 04:35 AM
With the way Defense has been slowly becoming less important, can you imagine how bad its going to be in 50 years? Every team in the league will play defense like the Knicks.

CELTICS4LYFE
08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
what kind of ? is this?? how bout how long is air goin to b around?? or do u think grass will start to turn blue??? or can when is shaq goin to grow up?? lol
the nba is going to b around forever!! as all sports r...

oh n defense has become more important not less....back in the day it was all run n gun

azkarraga
08-12-2009, 08:37 AM

yes!

Brooklyn Mets
08-12-2009, 08:51 AM
the nba will never dismantle.. the only way i see it ending is if it is upgraded to a world league..