PDA

View Full Version : Past vs. Present

Bruno
08-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Who wins this best of seven series? Consider all the players to be in their primes. Do Magic and Jordan create havoc for the contemporaries? Is the size of "the present" too much for the past to handle?

Lets say home court advantage does not exist; games being played at neutral locations with 1,000 random spectators present.

Past:

PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Michael Jordan
SF- Larry Bird
PF- Karl Malone
C- Bill Russell

Present:

PG- Dwyane Wade
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- LeBron James
PF- Tim Duncan
C- Shaq O'neal

heyman321
08-11-2009, 01:26 AM
How on earth did you not know how to spell "O'Neal"? Lol

Bruno
08-11-2009, 01:27 AM
thank you.

WadeCounty
08-11-2009, 01:51 AM
we're talking about everyone at their prime right? ima give it to the past just cuz i think micheal and magic are too far ahead when trying to compare them to dwyane wade and kobe bryant, the only 2 real factors that the present has is shaq and tim duncan, lebron is 50 50. But idk i never really got to see magic and jordan play together but i've seen wade lebron and kobe play together and all 3 play well off the ball aswell

montazingmvp
08-11-2009, 01:56 AM
i don't think it would be that close. past in 5.

still1ballin
08-11-2009, 02:00 AM
I'd go with present......Shaq in his prime would simply dominate

montazingmvp
08-11-2009, 02:14 AM

presently shaq isn't in his prime so that is wrong...shaq was in his prime almost a decade ago...is that present?

still1ballin
08-11-2009, 02:18 AM
presently shaq isn't in his prime so that is wrong...shaq was in his prime almost a decade ago...is that present?

LOL well if you say that, then present would win by a large margin...I doubt the past ( age 40+) could compete against kobe,wade,lebron ect....

You would have to put each player in their prime

Storch
08-11-2009, 02:46 AM
past in 7.

B.JenningsMVP
08-11-2009, 02:50 AM
kobe in 7

ItsTheLastAce
08-11-2009, 02:59 AM
thatd be a great series i say it could go either way in 7

azkarraga
08-11-2009, 03:23 AM
with past or present rules?

anyway, the past wins. In 6 or, if lucky, in 5.

Mavrix
08-11-2009, 03:32 AM

Michael Jordan in his prime wouldn't dominate right?

Mavrix
08-11-2009, 03:32 AM
Past in 6

DCB/LAL
08-11-2009, 04:18 AM
Michael Jordan in his prime wouldn't dominate right?

Right!! He wouldn't

asandhu23
08-11-2009, 04:33 AM
Wait.... You put Bill Russell over Wilt Chamberlain as center? blasphemy.

todu82
08-11-2009, 04:51 AM
Present in 7.

azkarraga
08-11-2009, 05:14 AM
Right!! He wouldn't

he wouldn't. and who is gonna D him? kobe? wade? lol

Hawkeye15
08-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Who wins this best of seven series? Consider all the players to be in their primes. Do Magic and Jordan create havoc for the contemporaries? Is the size of "the present" too much for the past to handle?

Lets say home court advantage does not exist; games being played at neutral locations with 1,000 random spectators present.

Past:

PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Michael Jordan
SF- Larry Bird
PF- Karl Malone
C- Bill Russell

Present:

PG- Dwyane Wade
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- LeBron James
PF- Tim Duncan
C- Shaq O'neal

Past. Their backcourt is much stronger, and Russell could at least bother Shaq a bit.

Hawkeye15
08-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Right!! He wouldn't

Michael would own Kobe, Wade, or LeBron trying to guard him, sorry.

mitch91
08-11-2009, 10:57 AM
i went with past in 7 though it really could go either way

DCB/LAL
08-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Michael would own Kobe, Wade, or LeBron trying to guard him, sorry.

While he may have the upper hand i do not believe he would "dominate" Kobe Lebron or Wade if anything the only clear spot where the past has the advantage would be at PG with Magic and the only Advantage for the present would be Shaq when he was with the Lakers he gained weight and was just too powerful for anyone to stop i dont care who it is guarding him when he was in LA no one would be able to guard him especially with these players surrounding him! That being said itd be a tough one to pick who would win!!

Ace33Bone
08-11-2009, 12:05 PM
LOL well if you say that, then present would win by a large margin...I doubt the past ( age 40+) could compete against kobe,wade,lebron ect....

You would have to put each player in their prime

:hi5: That would have been my same response to that comment as well... i like the way you think... but I have to disagree with you... I think that the past would win just due to the fact that when u put players like Jordan, Magic & Bird together all which have that refuse to lose attitude then they will come out on top even though Shaq would obviously dominate the middle... The present would be way more athletic but that alons does not beat a team of that stature... But to get the best all around outcome I think you would have to include benches into the mix and then we could better analyze the matchup

CELTICS4LYFE
08-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Past!!! Bird magic n jordan!! Top 3 in the nba ever!!! Thats waaayyy to much bb iq for the present to handle

op12
08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Past!!! Bird magic n jordan!! Top 3 in the nba ever!!! Thats waaayyy to much bb iq for the present to handle

agreed

JayW_1023
08-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Fundamentals vs. athleticism...I like fundamentals.

Ethix11
08-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Present because they are a much better defensive team. Quicker in their respective primes as well. The game evolves..

28+24+5=3champs
08-11-2009, 02:17 PM
past in 6 but if you switch russel and wilt id say past in 5.

not saying that wilt was that much better but russel would already be giving up 4 inches and 85 pounds according to baseketballreference.com. wilt would be same height giving up 50 pounds.

AntiG
08-11-2009, 02:18 PM
past in 4-6 games

Hawkeye15
08-11-2009, 02:26 PM
While he may have the upper hand i do not believe he would "dominate" Kobe Lebron or Wade if anything the only clear spot where the past has the advantage would be at PG with Magic and the only Advantage for the present would be Shaq when he was with the Lakers he gained weight and was just too powerful for anyone to stop i dont care who it is guarding him when he was in LA no one would be able to guard him especially with these players surrounding him! That being said itd be a tough one to pick who would win!!

really? Cause he dominated Joe Dumars, Craig Ehlo, Clyde Drexler, Ron Harper, and anyone else who attempted to guard him, in a era where you could actually put a hand on a guy to slow him. I think some of you on PSD must be very young. Michael Jordan is exponentially better than anyone playing right now. It isn't even close. In today's league, where you can't touch a perimeter player, he is a 40+ppg player.
The backcourt on the past team has a huge advantage over present.

DCB/LAL
08-11-2009, 03:32 PM
really? Cause he dominated Joe Dumars, Craig Ehlo, Clyde Drexler, Ron Harper, and anyone else who attempted to guard him, in a era where you could actually put a hand on a guy to slow him. I think some of you on PSD must be very young. Michael Jordan is exponentially better than anyone playing right now. It isn't even close. In today's league, where you can't touch a perimeter player, he is a 40+ppg player.
The backcourt on the past team has a huge advantage over present.

Ok pretty sure Jordan didn't win every All_star game he was in did he??? NO!!!

This is just like an all_star game except that you have Lebron a new kind of animal Wade who who when he's on pretty much no one can stop him even the great Jordan and Kobe Bryant who is arguably the second best SG to ever play the game along with Shaq who Bill Russell as great as he was would not be able to contain by himself and of Tim Duncan the BEST PF to ever play the game so the only clear advantage the Past has is they have a true PG but thats it pretty even otherwise!

Hawkeye15
08-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Ok pretty sure Jordan didn't win every All_star game he was in did he??? NO!!!

This is just like an all_star game except that you have Lebron a new kind of animal Wade who who when he's on pretty much no one can stop him even the great Jordan and Kobe Bryant who is arguably the second best SG to ever play the game along with Shaq who Bill Russell as great as he was would not be able to contain by himself and of Tim Duncan the BEST PF to ever play the game so the only clear advantage the Past has is they have a true PG but thats it pretty even otherwise!

no, this would not be an all star game. It was a 7 game series. Which is real, not some pickup game where the goal is not to get hurt.
I never said that Shaq wouldn't dominate Russell. Duncan/Malone would be a bit closer than you think.
Point is, in a competitive series, there is no comparison to Michael Jordan. He would have dominated his matchup, like he always did.
And we haven't even mentioned Bird, the 3rd best player of all time.
I still say past in 6-7.
And Kobe may be regarded by some as the 2nd best SG of all time, but there is a big dropoff between #1 and #2, whomever you consider #2.

johnnychan
08-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Present in 4

Rhino
08-11-2009, 06:31 PM
The past would squash the present easily it wouldn't even be a good series.

Rhino
08-11-2009, 06:33 PM
The only intangibles would be the refs are we using the disgusting excuse that the NBA uses now or the refs of the past.

ya_boi
08-11-2009, 06:40 PM
The Present has no chance. Past in 5

ManRam
08-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I think the present would run the past off the court. Better athletes today than in the past.

JordansBulls
08-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Past in 5. Too much leadership and too much winning.

Hawkeye15
08-11-2009, 08:05 PM
I think the present would run the past off the court. Better athletes today than in the past.

?? Magic, end to end, with the ball, is the fastest PG to ever play. Michael Jordan is a decent athlete if I remember. Bird, while he can't jump high or run fast, has the fastest hands you can get, and has that "anticipation" ability like nobody else. Malone looked like an NFL tight end, and kept up with Stockton, and Russell was very athletic.
Take in account their skill level, Past kills

Trouble87
08-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Past in 5... I see them dominating the present

Wade would probably go down in game 2

Past would abuse them

Tom81
08-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Past in seven.