PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Jays Had That Amazing Start to the Season, What happened?

Tha Truth
08-11-2009, 12:31 AM
The Blue Jays had such a promising start to the season.

Leading the division in wins and leading the league in all sorts of statistical catagories.

Look where they're at now.

What do you guys think happened?

Zaunnie
08-11-2009, 12:35 AM
Our already decimated pitching staff got even more decimated and the team started playing like we expected them too. Did you really think we would stay ahead of the Red Sox, Yankees, and Devil Rays?

nstojic
08-11-2009, 12:37 AM
the offence went South! fast!

Bluerapoileagle
08-11-2009, 12:39 AM
**** happened.

Rogi10
08-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Morepitching got hurt! and bats couldn't pull the team.

Tha Truth
08-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Our already decimated pitching staff got even more decimated and the team started playing like we expected them too. Did you really think we would stay ahead of the Red Sox, Yankees, and Devil Rays?

It's not really that I expected them to be ahead of those teams, but anything can happen.

Think of it this way did anybody expect the Devil Rays to have the season they had last year. Winning the division and on top of that going to the World Series.

geoff63
08-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Snider got sent down its that simple. our ExWL is 60-51 and we are 14-20 in 1 run games which is the worst in the AL. As much as people want to bring down the pitching they have the second best ERA and the most Quality starts in the AL.

Zaunnie
08-11-2009, 12:58 AM
It's not really that I expected them to be ahead of those teams, but anything can happen.

Think of it this way did anybody expect the Devil Rays to have the season they had last year. Winning the division and on top of that going to the World Series.

Well to be fair with the massive amount of young talent that the Rays had stockpiled in their farm system, they were eventually due for an outburst. No one expected them to go to the World Series, but at one point or another, they were going to compete.

bomber0104
08-11-2009, 01:32 AM
**** happened.

was gonna post the same thing...

It comes down to lack of timely hitting again and a depleted pitching staff

Jays Claw
08-11-2009, 08:04 AM
The Jays faced Tim Wakefield and he screwed up the timing of the Jays bats early in May.

Rogi10
08-11-2009, 08:33 AM
The Jays faced Tim Wakefield and he screwed up the timing of the Jays bats early in May.

yet, they got what 22 hits in the next two games?:eyebrow:

Frank Costanza
08-11-2009, 08:40 AM
i didnt think theyd be that good come april, i didnt think they'd be this bad come august, i thought for real that we'd finish with 87 wins like last yr just miss the boat and say if we had marcum mcgowan who knows,

definatly never expected them to be this bad

scotttube
08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
By a random set of events which cannot be explained by anything except luck and the "baseball gods" the Jays hitting with runners in scoring position went way down. From about .300 to .260 while their overall average only dipped from .290 to .270. At the same their pitching stayed about the same if not got a little worse. They also lost a lot of close games.

madmike77
08-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Reality and injuries. They played above their heads the first part of the season. A weak starting sched helped.

Then the injuries set in, they had to play a lot of AL East games and they fell off the cliff.

Given what they've had as a starting rotation for most of this year - one unheralded rookie after another - they haven't done all that badly.

ramz.n
08-11-2009, 01:19 PM
the injury bug hit the pitchers and they finally broke after a long time of bending..and we pretty much jinxed them by celebrating for the playoffs.

torrance
08-11-2009, 02:00 PM
If the Jays were in the Central division (maybe even the West), I think they'd still be contending for 1st. They are decent but not in the class of talent of the big three in the East.

It was the right move unloading Rios and his contract. A decent player, but not the number 3 or 4 hitter to lead a team. The money could be used elsewhere.

R. Johnson#3
08-11-2009, 03:41 PM
They came back down to Earth.

statquo
08-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Interleague play. ****s us every year.

ah nuts
08-11-2009, 04:11 PM
. your number 3,4.. Rios and Wells. Wells 3 RBIs in july.:down:
. Overbay
. League, the Rios of the bull pen(still like him though)
. a drop with Carson
. Rios playing in the out field without a glove.
. Snider's slump didn't help.

injuries: Litsch, Richmond, Jansen, Rob Ray, Downs

what a waste of Scuts year... Sunday he led the jays in batting avg :speechless:

Rogi10
08-11-2009, 04:14 PM
. your number 3,4.. Rios and Wells. Wells 3 RBIs in july.:down:
. Overbay
. League, the Rios of the bull pen(still like him though)
. a drop with Carson
. Rios playing in the out field without a glove.
. Snider's slump didn't help.

injuries: Litsch, Richmond, Jansen, Rob Ray, Downs

what a waste of Scuts year... Sunday he led the jays in batting avg :speechless:

whats wrong the league?? Please tell me you're not judging a reliever by ERA!

he has what 50 k in 50 innings?

justin_6
08-11-2009, 04:32 PM
where still up their in stats scuarto, lind and hill are in the top 10 for the al in plenty of things

Jays Claw
08-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Scutaro, Hill, Lind, Romero, Doc, Frasor and maybe even Brandon League are the only bright spots in the 2009 season.

statquo
08-11-2009, 04:48 PM
^^Rolen was playing good.

Big Rod got off to a hot start, Overbay showed flashes of his old self, Snider looked like he was going to flourish in his first couple games...

I think it just came down to Wells being a dud, and our pitching being too inexperienced because of all the injuries. They held there own for the first month and a half, but none of us could have expected it to last, even though I don't think any of us expected it to be mainly because of injuries.

Our closer situation really sucked life out of us, too, earlier in the year.

ah nuts
08-11-2009, 04:56 PM
whats wrong the league?? Please tell me you're not judging a reliever by ERA!

he has what 50 k in 50 innings?

I'm not too down on league. He just another one of those players not playing to his potential year after year. Seems untouchable at times then seems really messed up at other times.

Not an opinion I'm too heavy on.

Rogi10
08-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm not too down on league. He just another one of those players not playing to his potential year after year. Seems untouchable at times then seems really messed up at other times.

Not an opinion I'm too heavy on.

first of all he's 26 years old and he is already a solid 8th inning set up man, he strikes out the side a lot of the times. A few bad outings and everyone thinks he sucks...

alexanderkeiths
08-11-2009, 05:44 PM
**** happened.

is that code for jp....cause jp basically equals ****

ah nuts
08-11-2009, 08:44 PM
first of all he's 26 years old and he is already a solid 8th inning set up man, he strikes out the side a lot of the times. A few bad outings and everyone thinks he sucks...

if that what's you think...I'm not getting into silly arguments over nothing.

Zaunnie
08-11-2009, 08:51 PM
is that code for jp....cause jp basically equals ****

**** > jp